HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers are watching Sheldon Souray

Old
02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post

Sending Souray to Hartford isn't really an option. Wade Redden was already the Ranger's one large contract mulligan. With Redden already on the books for 6.5 million, you are only allowed to exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason. Redden's contract will be greater than that 10% bump, so effectively, the Rangers true cap is less than maximum salary cap number until the end of training camp.
We have 15 players signed for next season and 15 million in cap space. It might be an issue with trying to sign RFA's over the summer, it wouldn't be an issue with reference to Souray's salary. And, if the guy is halfway decent, it's 16 players signed and 12.3 in cap space.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
The cap hit for this year (he HAS to go through re-entry) would be 2,700,000/82 x 28 = 921,951.00 for this year + 2.7 next year if you want to get technical.

I doubt he slides to us with the Isles around, anyway.
Cap hit is determined by days on the roster, not games...if we really want to get technical

Just being an ass.

There were times that Souray really looked attractive, a power play canon and a tough, mean SOB, but unfortunately his upper body is constructed of glass.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
eco's bones

Very questionable whether Souray is an NHL caliber player anymore. This has Sandis Ozolinsh written all over it. Would not like being stuck with even half his salary next year--but without moving Drury back to Edmonton that would scotch just about any chance of signing Richards--for those who salivate over that. Only so much you can go over the summer cap--with Redden and then adding Souray as potential AHL garbage--it would cut into your buying capability.

I don't really look at Souray as a pwp qb type. What he is another big shot that needs to be set up--kind of like Kotalik. I imagine if he was close to what he used to be our pwp improves but the bigger need is for the guy who can set things in motion. Souray is not that guy--is very questionable in his own end of the ice when he isn't a liability and he's very very injury prone. Rangers might indeed be scouting him but looking at him over 3 games to make sure that one good game on Souray's part doesn't give them an incomplete picture. I don't think this is a good road to go down. I would rather stand pat and add no one.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Vitto79

even if they got him on re-entry I would not want him for 2.7 next yr but unfortunately Sather may

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:14 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

*yawn*

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
How many more years are left on his contract?

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Again, it's really the exact opposite of what this team is trying to do. We're getting younger, not older. Souray is not only in the twilight of his career, but he's injury prone, and a locker room cancer. Why would the Rangers bring him in at any cost?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:28 PM
pwoz

With Rozsival gone he'd give a Vet presence.. and only one more year left.. I'd take him on re-entry but not trade because of all the RFAs this July.

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Stay the course. It's either Richards or nobody for now. That's it. Avoid Souray.

Stick with the growing pains.

I can't believe Sather went to Hershey to check this dude out. It makes it seem like Souray's gonna eventually become a Ranger this year.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:40 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Again, it's really the exact opposite of what this team is trying to do. We're getting younger, not older. Souray is not only in the twilight of his career, but he's injury prone, and a locker room cancer. Why would the Rangers bring him in at any cost?
Because they don't have an answer on the point on the PP. Clearly, MDZ isn't ready for that role yet and neither is anyone else we've stuck there this year. If the Rangers make the playoffs, which is getting more dubious the longer this PP is awful, they'll be out in 5 because they can't score on special teams.

I see nothing wrong with a 1.25 year rental and every team needs veterans even if they are trying to get young. Our "vet" on the blue line is Emminger, for crying out loud.

Old
02-04-2011, 05:46 PM
XLJ

This would be a horrible move. The guy is washed up and is injury prone. Keep him away from the rangers.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Because they don't have an answer on the point on the PP. Clearly, MDZ isn't ready for that role yet and neither is anyone else we've stuck there this year. If the Rangers make the playoffs, which is getting more dubious the longer this PP is awful, they'll be out in 5 because they can't score on special teams.

I see nothing wrong with a 1.25 year rental and every team needs veterans even if they are trying to get young. Our "vet" on the blue line is Emminger, for crying out loud.
Okay, see, this is when I'll be speaking in circles, but I'm for a year rental defenseman, or even a forward, with a low cap hit - Somebody that's not going to restrict us past this season. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. Who's some good options?

We need that veteran presence on our blueline with a decent shot - it shouldn't be Souray, though. Way too much of a risk. He's old. His cap hit's too high. He's glass.

Old
02-04-2011, 05:48 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Oh I don't know but....Anyone think that the three scouts that are watching him play may be better suited to determine whether he can still play in the NHL or not then us??
I mean isn't it in their job description to be able to make these kind of calls?

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
How many more years are left on his contract?
Signed through next season.

I wouldn't do it just so we can save as much cap space as possibe to take a run at Richards. IF we do it, has to be on re-entry..no trading for him.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Okay, see, this is when I'll be speaking in circles, but I'm for a year rental defenseman, or even a forward, with a low cap hit - Somebody that's not going to restrict us past this season. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. Who's some good options?

We need that veteran presence on our blueline with a decent shot - it shouldn't be Souray, though. Way too much of a risk. He's old. His cap hit's too high. He's glass.
Kaberle is signed through the end of this season and I'd be more for TK than for SS, but the going rumor is the Burke is off his rocker with what he wants - coupled with the on again/off again positions TK's no trade clause.

Old
02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Souray on this team would be Sandis Ozolinsh all over again. It's counterproductive to the youth movement we have going. Let the kids learn from their own mistakes and grow together. Huge pass on this one.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

No way to Souray.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Kaberle is signed through the end of this season and I'd be more for TK than for SS, but the going rumor is the Burke is off his rocker with what he wants - coupled with the on again/off again positions TK's no trade clause.
That's the bad thing about all of this.

What are we going to have to give up? What if he re-signs with us if we got him? The prices for both could be way too high. So is his age. If we're looking for a shot at the blueline, he's definitely not the guy. For setting up, he is but we have DZ who can fill that roll eventually.

All though I don't mind Kaberle, but it's not what the Rangers are all about now. He's 32. It'll probably cost a little too much for a guy that could be gone after 25+ games and playoffs.

Old
02-04-2011, 06:16 PM
GarretJoseph*

This really looks like it's going to happen. I just wonder if it would be a pick up or a trade/pick up with something going to the Oil.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

at half his cap hit? maybe? I guess you'd have to trust our scouts. It makes sense of the Oilers since they have plenty of cap to spare and it would save them hard cash. I just don't like that he's signed for next year. But go and watch the Islanders claim him!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
darko

No thanks.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Eklund

Quote:
On Souray...

I continue to hear scouts being 'not impressed" with Souray's game at the AHL level.

more to come...
given the source, does this make a trade more plausible?
with Souray signed through next season, it's a pass for me. I don't want his cap hit getting in the way of either signing a big UFA or resigning our RFAs.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Ek saying "not impressed" means the Rangers are blown away by Sheldons game and burning up the lines to the Tambellini residence..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:36 PM
FOXHOUND*

Only do this if sather can work a deal that includes a young oiler, like MPS

Also, just cause he's there doesn't mean this is a done deal. Sather is a big figure who is secretive. If he's seen scouting the menu at mcdonalds it's gonna be big news. We have no idea what he is seeing or thinking (and I know thats actually more scary)

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:38 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
His cap hit would be 2.7 million for this year and next (50% of 5.4 cap number), not half of the 4.5 million real dollars he is making this year.

Sending Souray to Hartford isn't really an option. Wade Redden was already the Ranger's one large contract mulligan. With Redden already on the books for 6.5 million, you are only allowed to exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason. Redden's contract will be greater than that 10% bump, so effectively, the Rangers true cap is less than maximum salary cap number until the end of training camp.
At half the cap hit, it's not a huge blow but considering all of our valuable RFA's that need to be signed in the summer I'd be inclinded to pass.

The one angle I am trying to find is how the mad scientist Sather can dump a bad contract onto Edmonton... like Redden. Sather is sick with trades, there has to be more than just a waiver claim to this if it happens.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote