HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Power Play QB

Old
02-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Nobody said Fowler isn't playing well...but I maintain MDZ played better, still.

And you're right, there are no guarantees. Also, I wouldn't go as far as to say this is MDZ's fate since he's still 20 and "sophomore slumps" are very common.

And come on, you can't honestly say the Fowler horse isn't beat to death. We know he's playing at an adequate level in the NHL, the guy who you're all ready to give up on did the same thing and better last year.
Who said I was giving up on Del Zotto? I like the guy and hope he comes back and is a strong player in years to come.

Doesn't change the fact that Fowler is playing well right now, (even though many people said he was too weak for the NHL), and he's even younger this year than Del Zotto was last year.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:30 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It was between Fowler & Mcllrath probably for the Gordie. Rangers probably feeling that they had enough offensive d-man. But that quickly went away when they traded Sanguinetti.
So far it's looking like Del Zotto is our only puck moving d-man for the foreseeable future in the system.
That's fine with me. But I don't like counting on (when it comes to prospects) that ONE player at a certain position or a certain player that specializes in something specifically. Too many of these guys flame out.
I would at least like to have another option or two. Just in case, you know?

Anyway, time will tell was it the right pick. You know me, I wanted Fowler.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But DZ is doing the same things Fowler did last year, too! I don't like to pick fights and I think you're a knowledgeable dude but you can't tell me you don't think that post is made more from bitterness than trying to add anything constructive.

The argument should be more "Will MDZ develop into a PPQB" than anything, but bringing Fowler into it is unnecessary.

And to not go off-topic completely, I still think our best bet is getting Richards to QB the PP, too. If we can't get him than it's anybody's guess.
I just took it as more light than that.

And I just can't see any way Dallas goes to Marc Crawford and says we're taking away your number 1 Center even though we're challengers this year.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
It was between Fowler & Mcllrath probably for the Gordie. Rangers probably feeling that they had enough offensive d-man. But that quickly went away when they traded Sanguinetti.
So far it's looking like Del Zotto is our only puck moving d-man for the foreseeable future in the system.
That's fine with me. But I don't like counting on (when it comes to prospects) that ONE player at a certain position or a certain player that specializes in something specifically. Too many of these guys flame out.
I would at least like to have another option or two. Just in case, you know?

Anyway, time will tell was it the right pick. You know me, I wanted Fowler.
Yeah, I wanted Fowler too, and I'm all over those draft threads saying that...so this is not second guessing. My point was that even though we had James Patrick we still drafted Brian Leetch and Sergei Zubov. Elite offensive defensemen are more difficult to find than bangers.

Am I saying Fowler is elite? Of course not. Am I saying there is a chance he an be elite? Absolutely. But only a chance.

Time will tell, and this draft pick means we'll be comparing the two for the next five years.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I just took it as more light than that.

And I just can't see any way Dallas goes to Marc Crawford and says we're taking away your number 1 Center even though we're challengers this year.
Ehh, I think Richards leaving Dallas will be more of an issue with ownership and money than anything else. It's certainly a gamble, but it would be absolutely huge for the team and the PP if we could land him. They definitely won't trade him, though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
That's news to me. I don't think anyone assumed that would happen at all.

If you want to apply that thinking to Richards in terms of assuming the Rangers will push heavily to sign him, that's much more likely and understandable.
Oh god, I remember it clear as day " why don't we wait for Kovy to be a UFA and just sign him then" " Why trade for Kovalchuk when we can get him as a UFA"

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I used to say this board was fickle, but I don't think that even sums it up anymore. I need something stronger to encapsulate the insanity around here. A 20 year old, 2nd year player struggling in the NHL? Woo doggy! That's a hot lead!

If we abandoned every player when the experts around here had written them off, we'd be watching Dubinsky, Staal, Lundqvist, and Callahan develop into core pieces somewhere else.

..and Fowler? Seriously? You guys just make me laugh.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Dorado*

MDZ more physical but Fowler seems to have about 5x the stride and skating ability than MDZ . His rookie season was front loaded and perhaps an anomaly .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

MDZ has been pretty bad this year.

Having said that, you dont trade a 20 year old who has the kind of talent he has. He put up, what, 48 points last year? Or maybe it was 38. Either way those are great numbers for a rookie defenseman on a team that struggled to score dearly.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 01:35 AM
nyr5186

Someone mentioned earlier that that they'd like to see the pointmen take more wrist shots on net, and I couldn't agree more. In some ways, wrist shots are more effective than slap shots. They're less expected, giving the goaltender and penalty killers less time to prepare to block a shot. Also, for a shooter, I think they're easier to aim.

But again, that's only part of their problem on the man advantage. In fact, I think that once they actually get possession in the offensive zone, they're ok. They make some things happen when they have space.

Their main problem is their attack through the neutral zone and puck recovery. Their spacing is way off, and their movement is too predictable, forcing the puck carrier to always be in a state of panic and insecurity with the puck.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:35 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Oh god, I remember it clear as day " why don't we wait for Kovy to be a UFA and just sign him then" " Why trade for Kovalchuk when we can get him as a UFA"
There were certainly debates amongst us, but as far as anyone assuming that the Rangers were definitely going to go after Kovalchuk, I don't think that could be said with any basis in reality.

Comparing it to this upcoming summer, where it seems like an inevitability that we will throw everything we can at Richards should he reach UFA status, it's not even close.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Emptyvoid

How do people feel about getting McCabe? If i read capgeek correctly, he is on an expiring contract. I haven't seen him play or anything, but I've heard he is a decent PPQB.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
How do people feel about getting McCabe? If i read capgeek correctly, he is on an expiring contract. I haven't seen him play or anything, but I've heard he is a decent PPQB.

He's not a PP QB. He does have a big shot from the point. Or at least had one once.

02-05-2011, 07:43 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post

Just my opinion but I think its pointless to bring in anyone this year that isn't either under contract for next year, or someone we would want to make part of the team for a few years.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:45 PM
levski87

Matt gilroy+ 2nd round pick for kaberle.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Rust Heisenberg

It's really simple what the problem with the power play is. The players have been taught the fundamentals wrong. A successful power play does not move the puck along the boards and take shots from behind the net. The same problems that plagued Renney's power now plague Tortorella's. There was no reason for Callahan to dump the puck in at the end of the game. Had he held it and waited for help we'd have had a better chance of scoring. However, the mindset taught in our players, is dump the puck, chase, work along the boards, work it to the point, search for the perfect shot and if its not there start the process all over. Working the boards is the root of the problem. We lose precious time, we usually lose the puck, and by the time our point gets the puck all of the defensemen are in position to block the shot.

Notice how teams like Pittsburgh and Montreal work their PP's. Quick passes across the ice. When they have to use the boards, they will, but they won't aimlessly send the puck in hopes that it will reach someone. They also have a shooter who has a bomb slap shot/one timer. Take for example Montreal - PK Subban. Monster shot. In addition to that they have major movement, not only with the puck, but the players themselves. Watch the Montreal PP and you will rarely see any of the 5 players standing still (such as the Rangers power plays).

The problem is not who we put on the point. Hell we could have Zdeno Chara and he'd still suffer from this system. This is a case of terrible coaching. The fundamentals of how to score are all wrong. Dumping and chasing and fighting along the boards are all good if we have a lead, but not when we are an offensively struggling team looking to score even 1 goal in 60 minutes.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Just wait till next year and Brad Richards. Problem solved.
Richards would look great on the point on the PP. Don't see a better way to rectify the situation at this point.

July 1st has to be all about Richards.

Hopefully our RFAs are extended before July 1st, so Richards can get full attention.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:52 AM
howztheglass

Another game another 0-for on the PP.2 PP goals in the last 3 games on I believe 15 chances the funny part is I'm surprised that they score twice.This team needs to back to basic's and what is the first thing that your thought on the PP--get it to the point crash the net and shoot.Next game watch how the players all stay on the outside passing it from down low to behind the net there's no movement and even if the defense gets the puck they never move to the middle of the ice to open it up--it's so confusing that the coachs either don't see it or don't want to change it.

Anyway this is why I said that a PP QB should be the number option to trade for now even before the deadline--there's so many parts of the PP that need to change.Maybe if players were taken some shots from the point there would be rebounds for the player on the outside to knock in.The biggest problem is the Ranger's don't have a player like this.

Some player's that could be available,

We all know Kaberle(just think he will cost way to much)
McCabe(big time shot--maybe he's the one)
As I wrote in the beginning I would prefer someone like,
Corvo or Babchuk
Souray(big time shot maybe on waivers--not a trade)but he got hurt Friday night so doubt I him.

Not a ton of guys available but something anything needs to be done to help this teams PP.Losing game after game because we can't score on the PP is killing all of us.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Leetch66

A couple of creative Centers that can pass could possibly eliminate the need for an all out offensive Blueliner...but they would have to win the face off first !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Vitto79

McCabe should come somewhat cheaper than others. Hoping they can get him for a 3rd, Gilroy type package

oly UFAs at the deadline. Save money for Richards and then the PP point man and #1 C are taken care of

Stay the course with the kids right now. They are up 4 pts on Atlanta on a playoff spot and I am confident they can hold that lead. Until some of the other bottom teams come within striking distance the team is still in a good spot even with the crappy losses they just had

Did the Wings not just get shutout 2 games in a row to CLB and Nashille?........this type of thing happens to teams

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
The Perfect Paradox

I said this in the Souray thread, but I feel Babchuk is the best option. He's an RFA on the last year of a deal, he has a rocket from the point and shouldn't cost us much.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I said this in the Souray thread, but I feel Babchuk is the best option. He's an RFA on the last year of a deal, he has a rocket from the point and shouldn't cost us much.

yea but its all about who is in it come 3 weeks from now. Calgary is in it so Babchuk wont be moved right now

I agree that Brad Richards is the obvious fix but that has to wait for July 1st. It solves TWO big issues. 1st line C for Gaborik and PP point man

I am cool with a rental this year but it has to be just that a rental that wont cost a real hight prospect or pick. Trading a spare part and mid round pick for a UFA of lesser caliber is fine

Foster from Edmonton is mentioned but for that it would hae to be Gilroy and Christensen moved and thats it. He makes 1.8 next yr and its not a crazy committment

D would be set for next yr at

Staal, Girardi
McDonaugh, Foster
Del Zotto, Sauer

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:54 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
my question are, are we looking for a lefty (as has been said) exclusively (guys like babchuk and montador are intriguing, but they’re both righties)? young guy or vet? a guy who can hit/shoot/play some D (brewer, babchuk, montador, a lower-level burns/weber) or a piece of plywood that can lead a rush and feed the slot (white, kaberle, etc.)? i hope we’re all in agreement that 2011 in ny isn’t the time/place for the Souray Experiment?

now, if we’re all ready to break the bank on Richards this offseason… i have to wonder, why not save $1.5-3M and instead sign a guy like ehrhoff or even wisniewski? you’d presumably fix the PP QB issue, while allowing stepan/anisimov to develop into a solid 1-2 punch at C (you can’t say that doesn’t looke very feasibl, if not probable, down the road).

also, to take 31-year-old richards at 6-7M for 5-8 yrs is much riskier than getting a D in his 20s for about 5-6M for 4-5 yrs. i say go hard for ehrhoff, not richards.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 04:41 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
my question are, are we looking for a lefty (as has been said) exclusively (guys like babchuk and montador are intriguing, but they’re both righties)? young guy or vet? a guy who can hit/shoot/play some D (brewer, babchuk, montador, a lower-level burns/weber) or a piece of plywood that can lead a rush and feed the slot (white, kaberle, etc.)? i hope we’re all in agreement that 2011 in ny isn’t the time/place for the Souray Experiment?

now, if we’re all ready to break the bank on Richards this offseason… i have to wonder, why not save $1.5-3M and instead sign a guy like ehrhoff or even wisniewski? you’d presumably fix the PP QB issue, while allowing stepan/anisimov to develop into a solid 1-2 punch at C (you can’t say that doesn’t looke very feasibl, if not probable, down the road).

also, to take 31-year-old richards at 6-7M for 5-8 yrs is much riskier than getting a D in his 20s for about 5-6M for 4-5 yrs. i say go hard for ehrhoff, not richards.
Ehrhoff does score a lot on the PP, but the only place where he's excelled is Vancouver. He's a nice piece with a booming shot, but he's NOT the answer to our PP woes. Henrik Sedin (you may have heard of him) runs the show in Van City, and THAT'S the key to Ehrhoff's success just as much as his own skill is.

Huge difference between Richards and Ehrhoff.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post

That highlight reel was almost every goal he's ever scored. Staal and Girardi both have more points than Babchuk. The Rangers have about as much use for Babchuk as they do the hairball my cat coughed up today.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote