HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rick Jeanneret on NHL Live

Old
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
CowbellConray

vCash: 500
Rick Jeanneret on NHL Live

Rick Jeanneret was on NHL Live and did an interview a few minutes ago, and answered a few questions about Pegula and the Sabres.

What really suprised me was when he was asked about Pegula keeping the sabres in buffalo, and how sometimes it doesn't matter who the owner is if the team isn't making money they could be moved.

Rick was very very serious and tense and he defended the Buffalo market very ademently and stated that we were "one of the top hockey markets in the world"

Do you agree? Are we a top hockey market?

Oh and a small side note, he talked about Golisanno and a staff conference. He said that Golisanno made Pegula out to be a very nice, very trustful guy...

CowbellConray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
Do you agree? Are we a top hockey market?
In terms of the most knowledgeable & supportive fans and TV ratings, then yes. Would the World Juniors have been brought here a couple of months ago if we weren't a top hockey market?

I think Buffalo's a "diamond in the rough" that the hockey would is just now beginning to find out about, starting with the Winter Classic in '08.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgmania View Post
In terms of the most knowledgeable & supportive fans and TV ratings, then yes. Would the World Juniors have been brought here a couple of months ago if we weren't a top hockey market?

I think Buffalo's a "diamond in the rough" that the hockey would is just now beginning to find out about, starting with the Winter Classic in '08.
Let's not kid ourselves... MOST of the reason Buffalo hosted the world juniors was because Canada is so close. To a lesser degree but still important is that Buffalo supports the sport of hockey well.

Buffalo is a top 10 NHL market if you are talking about fans enthusiasm and support. But it may mainly be due to ticket prices being lower. However I do remember when most games in buffalo (excluding Toronto and Montreal games) drew 9,000-11,000 fans in the years the Sabres sucked, and I mean really sucked. Top 5 NHL hockey markets don't ever do that even if the team sucks. I wonder if the games this year would all be sold out or close to sold out if the prices were 25% higher?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Let's not kid ourselves... MOST of the reason Buffalo hosted the world juniors was because Canada is so close.
And that's what makes it a top hockey market.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:13 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
And that's what makes it a top hockey market.
This. Buffalo wouldn't be a "top hockey market" if not for it's location relative to Canada. Ya know...like those Detroit and Minnesota places.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Buffalo is a top 10 NHL market if you are talking about fans enthusiasm and support. But it may mainly be due to ticket prices being lower. However I do remember when most games in buffalo (excluding Toronto and Montreal games) drew 9,000-11,000 fans in the years the Sabres sucked, and I mean really sucked. Top 5 NHL hockey markets don't ever do that even if the team sucks. I wonder if the games this year would all be sold out or close to sold out if the prices were 25% higher?
Whenever the ratings for hockey telecasts on national networks are published, the WNY region and Buffalo are always one of the highest markets for such. And the junior championships showed that it's support of hockey in general and not just the local team.

The support in the city goes beyond just ticket prices.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:03 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
I'd say we are one of the top markets in the world for hockey, aside from cities north of the border.

Just compare our population size to our TV ratings, season ticket holders etc. I remember for the Carolina cup finals, we had a higher rating in Buffalo than they did in Raleigh. I know that's not a great example, but still. Year in and year out, if you look at TV ratings.. Buffalo is usually in the top 5 during the playoffs even when we're not in them.

I'd like to see Pegula build cement pads around WNY, hire people to fill them with water for the winter for outdoor ice hockey. When the summer comes, the same pad could be used for roller hockey. That'll really help shape the future of Buffalo hockey, a team USA too.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:02 AM
SabreDr

Boston was only getting 12-14,000 fans per game the last few years so Buffalo drawing 10,000=11,000 when we had no owners and were betrayed by convicts is not a good sample to mention. When I was growing up the Aud always had 16,433 for every game and the last three years the Sabres haven't had the best or most exciting team and they are drawing at 98% total capacity.

Buffalo is one of the best markets in the USA and perhaps the world. Buffalo just happens to have Canada to our North but just because it is another country doesn't make the 10-12% of fans that are Canadian unworthy or less because they live in another country. If Buffalo had suburbs in their entire 360 degree radius then it would have a bigger US market and TV market but unfortunately those figures are not totaled because of Canada but their money spends just as well and their passion for the team is just as strong.

SabreDr is offline   Reply With Quote