HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Real Islander Fans!!!

Old
02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
LAIslanderFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
There's two groups of people. People that are pro-DP, and people that have eyes.
Well, some of the pro DP people are taking it in stride, and pulling for him. Some of the people that "have eyes" complain about DP regardless of how he plays, and love to see him fail!!! DP was an all-star goalie. Actually the irony is that his injury problems started from a play in the All Star game. He's had hip problems, in an attempt to over compensate, he injured his knees. This year there was the groin, the flu (he played a game while sick), and now the face fracture.

I'll admit it's not looking good. Having said that, there's no question in my mind a healthy DP is a top notch goalie. DP works hard in the offseason, he plays with alot of passion (probably the reason for the face fracture) and he has the skill set to be very good. The real problem with his game (besides the injuries) is that he can't seem to play enough games in a season to get into a groove. I played goalie years ago in some of the youth hockey leagues, and I can tell you that it was very important to play on a regular basis. In the last 3 years, DP hasn't played on a steady basis. My hope was that this would be the year that he got the opportunity to get in about 60 games, get back into a groove and then brush up and make adjustments in the offseason. Now it looks like that might not be the case.

I still can't bring myself to root against him. There are athletes that hurt their career for their actions, (Plaxico Buress, Michael Vick) and there are athletes that compete hard, injure thmeselves, try and come back too soon, and care so much for their sport and their organizatin. That's DP, and I think he's earned our patience and our resolve to stand by him!!!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:37 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Some of the people that "have eyes" complain about DP regardless of how he plays
Regardless of how he plays? I haven't watched all the games this year (why would I? :shudder but he hasn't been more than average in any of them.

Quote:
DP was an all-star goalie.
Was. 3 damn years ago.

Quote:
Having said that, there's no question in my mind a healthy DP is a top notch goalie.
And there's no question in my mind he'll never be healthy again.

Quote:
I think he's earned our patience and our resolve to stand by him!!!
The time for patience was 2 years ago. No more.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:31 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Regardless of how he plays? I haven't watched all the games this year (why would I? :shudder but he hasn't been more than average in any of them.

I went to the Pittsburgh game in December. DP had 38 shots on goal, he let up one goal, stopped a penalty shot and out dueled Fluery in the shootout for a 2-1 win.

Was. 3 damn years ago.

Well he's been injured (it started at the damn allstar game)

And there's no question in my mind he'll never be healthy again.

You may be right. I'll admit there's still no guarantee.

The time for patience was 2 years ago. No more.
My hope is that he comes back this year, gets a little work. Then he shares duty next year, maybe is a capable backup for a while and hopefully stays healthy and works his way back for the following year. I know that's quite a while, but he's under contract, so we can take our time with him. There's no reason to write him off yet. Historically, goalies get better with age anyway.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
My hope is that he comes back this year, gets a little work. Then he shares duty next year, maybe is a capable backup for a while and hopefully stays healthy and works his way back for the following year. I know that's quite a while, but he's under contract, so we can take our time with him. There's no reason to write him off yet. Historically, goalies get better with age anyway.
And, like I said before, the more we "take our time with him" the less we become a winning team.

He shouldn't "share duty", he should serve strictly in a backup role, whether that means giving Poulin complete reins as a starter, which I'm not sold on yet, or obtaining a UFA goaltender.

Rick DiPietro, from what I have seen, looks like he will never overcome his injuries enough to become a full-time, capable starting goaltender in the National Hockey League again.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:57 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
I have a question Mr. LAIslanderFan... Now that DP is out for another 4-6 weeks and Lawson is still out for another 2 weeks do you support the Owner and GM of the Islanders signing a goalie out of the Central Hockey League?

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
I have a question Mr. LAIslanderFan... Now that DP is out for another 4-6 weeks and Lawson is still out for another 2 weeks do you support the Owner and GM of the Islanders signing a goalie out of the Central Hockey League?
Martin has surely only been signed to fortify the BPort situation.

Don't forget that Poulin, Lawson and Koskinen were manning the nets at season's begin and now Poulin is the de-facto starter for the Isles while Lawson is injured.

Surely even BPort needs a number 2. Signing Martin is simply logical in light of the goalies situation in general. Someone has to be the back-up there - and honestly, Koskinen has been anything but solid for the baby Isles, so this is a real shot for Joel to up his ante a bit.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote