HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers are watching Sheldon Souray

Old
02-05-2011, 02:09 AM
AdamGravesNight

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
My vote, which obviously doesn't count, is no on Souray.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

If the Rangers do a trade for him I am sure Tambo will throw in a box of soothers edit for Souray not Ranger fans do not need another misunderstood Infraction

Last edited by Oilmageddon*: 02-05-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Can't believe some people still like Souray. 35 years old this summer. He has 2 PPG in the last two seasons and they both came this season. The Rangers scouted him. Doesn't mean they were impressed last night. He was a -1 until Hershey scored an empty netter. Forget about Eklund. Other people haven't been impressed by him either. Seems to going through the motions collecting his salary. The Rangers scouted Bryan McCabe and don't like him. At least that's what Steve Zipay said yesterday in a Newsday chat.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Huge Mistake if it happens.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:45 AM
DutchShamrock

Man, I really don't understand why there are so many people getting aggressive over this and already mad at Sather. The worst player big name player he has traded for in the last 5 years is Jokinen and he was able to lose a really bad contract while gaining an awesome player in Prust.

How about this scenerio? Redden for Souray in the summer. I don't know how close the Oilers are to the floor but this will get them above if that is an issue. Chance for Redden to be in the NHL while the Oilers have a positive presence in the lockerroom. We gain some extra cap space in the summer and if Souray isn't living up to his contract we waive him.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

If the Rangers are scouting Souray, I guess that maybe trade discussions for other targets have either stalled out or just never got going. I mean I don't think Souray was the first choice, or 2, 3, 4, or 5 choice either but who knows?

If I had to search for the positives here it would be this, but I am not keen on the idea of Souray. NOT becuase I don't think he can play the PP. I do, he adds the booming shot, and he's nasty which is nice heading down the stretch...I never thought his tools or skills were the problem. I thought he was mentally defeated, and if he doesn't have the fight in him anymore this is 100% why he was playing in the AHL right now. By the fight, I don't mean dropping the mitts. I mean that competitive edge to do the little things and come out on top over a daily basis. The interview he did last year was very telling. He just flat out sounded like a defeated man. Maybe EDM sucked the life out of the guy? For that reason I say no, unless maybe the thought is Tortorella and Sullivan can play a little Dr Frankenstien here? Revive the monster.

And...If it's one thing Glen Sather likes it's the reclamation project. Still don't like it, just trying to understand why they are even entertaining it.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
BluelineHammer

I'm kind of on the fence about this. I need someone to clear something up though. A few people have thrown the "locker room cancer" tag onto Souray...what's the reason for it? The only "issues" that I know of with him come from him wanting to get out of Edmonton, but as far as I know that had to do with Souray against management, nothing to do with the other players.

A few points to consider:

1. They have a number of scouts looking at him, if he has anything left worthy of a spot on the team, they will be able to figure it out much better than we can.

2. Forget trading for him. Anyone thinking that a trade is going to happen has no idea what they are talking about, especially for Drury or Redden, it's just not going to happen. First, Drury has a NMC which he is not going to waive so that he can uproot his family and move them to Edmonton. Would you do it? And why would Edmonton move a problem AHL player making 5.4mil for one more year in exchange for our problem AHL player making 6.5 for 3 more years? Would you do that as GM? I wouldn't, that's just stupid. Second, Souray would have to come back through waivers (if we traded for him) to get on the Rangers roster, does anyone think that he will seriously get passed by 29 teams if the Rangers scouts find him worthy enough of a spot to call him up? Although I do like the idea NYRCC brought up, but there is no way that will happen.

3. If the scouts see that he still has something left in the tank, and he does happen to fall to the Rangers allowing us to claim him, I don't see a problem with getting him. He would fill a need this year and try for a spot next year. We only have Staal, Girardi, MDZ and McDonough signed next year, Souray added to that group would be ok with me if he still has the shot we need. If you look at it another way, it's as if we exchanged a steady, average defensman and a 5mil cap hit (Rozsival) for a PP point man with a great shot and a 2.7mil(Souray) cap hit...and got Wolski as a bonus.

With all this said, I agree with the idea that he could be a player to take a chance on without losing anyone.

Last edited by BluelineHammer: 02-05-2011 at 10:22 AM.
BluelineHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:14 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

-The Islanders aren't a factor in this at all. Correct me if I'm wrong but since they used their waiver pick on Nabakov despite him not playing, they now sit at number 30 in the waiver wire pecking order. Plus no way Wang picks up that kind of contract.

-Drury will not move his NMC to go to Edmonton, ain't gonna happen. He has a family and we all know from Mrs. Nylander that living -30 degrees for 7 months is not in anyone's MO unless you're already there.

-As far as the summer goes, if they pick up Souray then Drury is being bought out, Gilroy probably isn't brought back, and Avery may get sent to Hartford. The cap goes up by $3 million and there's no rush to sign RFAs right away and Redden MAY bolt for Europe. Also, they can still go after Richards, and that will mean conservation of contracts so a rookie making $800K like Hagelin is going to be brought in to play lower lines to "even out" the Richards contract. Krieder at a little over a million with a signing bonus may have a shot, and you never know with Werek/Horak/Borque/etc.

-Look, I'm not saying it's the best answer but maybe this is the best move without giving up ANY assets for this season. A motivated Souray can do what Vlad Malakhov did for the Devils in 2000, and remember a certain Pierre LaRouche who Ted Sator thought was washed up in 1986 led one of the most low budget rag tag versions of the Rangers to the Conference Finals after spending most of the season in the minors (Hershey ironically).

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
NYRangers09

A player like Marc Andre Bergeron or Sheldon Souray would be a great move for this team. All u have to do is dress 7 dmen and only play these guys come power play time. Just sit drury cuz he cant do **** anyway

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluelineHammer View Post
I'm kind of on the fence about this. I need someone to clear something up though. A few people have thrown the "locker room cancer" tag onto Souray...what's the reason for it?.
He was in the Devils system originally and management didn't think highly of him plus Ken Daneyko questioned his commitment to winning. Here's the thread; http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=735704

He was also in a polarized Montreal locker room and I think was on the unpopular side.

Plus the Oilers didn't want him at training camp this year. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...846/story.html

Old
02-05-2011, 10:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Man, I really don't understand why there are so many people getting aggressive over this and already mad at Sather. The worst player big name player he has traded for in the last 5 years is Jokinen and he was able to lose a really bad contract while gaining an awesome player in Prust.

How about this scenerio? Redden for Souray in the summer. I don't know how close the Oilers are to the floor but this will get them above if that is an issue. Chance for Redden to be in the NHL while the Oilers have a positive presence in the lockerroom. We gain some extra cap space in the summer and if Souray isn't living up to his contract we waive him.
Why would Edmonton do that? Redden is signed for two more years than Souray. Redden makes $16.5M over the next 3 years while Souray makes $4.5M next season. What are they getting for the extra $12M.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
A player like Marc Andre Bergeron or Sheldon Souray would be a great move for this team. All u have to do is dress 7 dmen and only play these guys come power play time. Just sit drury cuz he cant do **** anyway
Drury won't really be a factor if this team is healthy. The lines I'd like to see eventually;

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-Zuc
Prust-Boyle-Fedotenko

Extras; Avery and Drury

D:
Staal-Girardi

Then I'd put one of Sauer/McD with Souray and the other with Eminger.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:30 AM
NYR Viper

The people who are saying Souray should be a 7th defenseman havent seen him play. He would be a passable top-4 defenseman on this team and a very good bottom pairing veteran. His lack of defensive awareness has been overblown for years.

If they can get him at half price I think they have to at least consider it. Move Gilroy and that is close to his salary(only another .5-.7 million/season).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
-As far as the summer goes, if they pick up Souray then Drury is being bought out, Gilroy probably isn't brought back, and Avery may get sent to Hartford. The cap goes up by $3 million and there's no rush to sign RFAs right away and Redden MAY bolt for Europe. Also, they can still go after Richards, and that will mean conservation of contracts so a rookie making $800K like Hagelin is going to be brought in to play lower lines to "even out" the Richards contract. Krieder at a little over a million with a signing bonus may have a shot, and you never know with Werek/Horak/Borque/etc.

-Look, I'm not saying it's the best answer but maybe this is the best move without giving up ANY assets for this season. A motivated Souray can do what Vlad Malakhov did for the Devils in 2000, and remember a certain Pierre LaRouche who Ted Sator thought was washed up in 1986 led one of the most low budget rag tag versions of the Rangers to the Conference Finals after spending most of the season in the minors (Hershey ironically).
In the summer cap,Avery would still count. Drury has a $3.7M buyout cap hit. $2.7M for Souray. Unless Redden terminates his contract,Redden's $6.5M cap hit counts against the summer cap. Still owed $16.5M in salary. Redden could decide to play in Europe and the Rangers would loan him to a team in Europe with the Rangers still paying him. He had that option this season but he stayed in NA due to the birth of his child. No rush to sign the RFAs? 4 of them are arbitration eligible and they can file for arbitration on July 5. They will file. Dubinsky,Callahan,Boyle and Sauer. Hearings are later that month. These are not the Staal and Dubinsky negotiations which are resolved in September. The CBA is pretty clear on what counts and when it counts. No Bernie Madoff math here.

What did Malakhov do for Jersey? They were a good team without him. They made the Cup finals in 2001 and really should have won the Cup again that year without Malakhov who was stealing the Rangers money that season. Souray is signed past this season.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I know everyone has been to Hershey but wasn't the AHL allstar and skills competition just there. Could have been an opportunity to do some scouting.
You have a point.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The people who are saying Souray should be a 7th defenseman havent seen him play. He would be a passable top-4 defenseman on this team and a very good bottom pairing veteran. His lack of defensive awareness has been overblown for years.

If they can get him at half price I think they have to at least consider it. Move Gilroy and that is close to his salary(only another .5-.7 million/season).
Have you seen Souray play? Why did so many teams pass on him? 2 years remaining on the contract. Not 4 years like Redden. $5.4M cap hit. $9M in salary. In a league where teams never have enough D,why is he playing in the AHL?

Old
02-05-2011, 10:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Fubar.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I know everyone has been to Hershey but wasn't the AHL allstar and skills competition just there. Could have been an opportunity to do some scouting.
Thats to logical

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:54 AM
TomLaidlaw

Hey kitten, how do you feel about the Rangers adding Souray?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:55 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In the summer cap,Avery would still count. Drury has a $3.7M buyout cap hit. $2.7M for Souray. Unless Redden terminates his contract,Redden's $6.5M cap hit counts against the summer cap. Still owed $16.5M in salary. Redden could decide to play in Europe and the Rangers would loan him to a team in Europe with the Rangers still paying him. He had that option this season but he stayed in NA due to the birth of his child. No rush to sign the RFAs? 4 of them are arbitration eligible and they can file for arbitration on July 5. They will file. Dubinsky,Callahan,Boyle and Sauer. Hearings are later that month. These are not the Staal and Dubinsky negotiations which are resolved in September. The CBA is pretty clear on what counts and when it counts. No Bernie Madoff math here.

What did Malakhov do for Jersey? They were a good team without him. They made the Cup finals in 2001 and really should have won the Cup again that year without Malakhov who was stealing the Rangers money that season. Souray is signed past this season.
Good call on the arbitration. I thought Cally already filed but they got a deal done before. Does he still have rights or did he use it up?

Malakhov helped the Devils a lot in 2000. He was told to shut up and do nothing but play hockey and was a great stay at home veteran presence for them.

I'm not saying Souray is the answer but could he help? Maybe.

Old
02-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I don't think there is a snowballs' chance in hell that Drury would somehow be involved and heading out to Edmonton. Makes no sense...

But I still do not count out Drury getting moved if he was to be moved with assets. Or that extra 2nd rounder. I still think Toronto is a possible destination. Not to turn this into a Drury thread, but thinking long term and the effects of another salary on the books. Even though if through re entry he's halfprice, I don't think Geln is going to handcuff himself going into the offeseason with all the RFA's and the big UFA in Richards.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 02-05-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
-The Islanders aren't a factor in this at all. Correct me if I'm wrong but since they used their waiver pick on Nabakov despite him not playing, they now sit at number 30 in the waiver wire pecking order. Plus no way Wang picks up that kind of contract.
Those waiver rules don't exist any longer. The standings are still used for picking order, you just need a spot open on your 23 man roster to claim someone on waivers.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

If we really want a heavy/big shot on the PP so badly, why not go for a cheaper, younger version in Pavel Valentenko? That guy has a rocket of a shot

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Blueblood 2

Isles would be all over this, just for giggles.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Hensch

taking souray is a step going in the wrong direction

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote