HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL 2011 Draft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
OFFICIAL 2011 Draft Discussion

I saw the same thread on Senators page....

Figured we could post comments about games (such as tonight's Isles-Senators contest) that directly affect draft positioning, prospects in 2011 draft, and anything else that pertains to the 2011 draft....

Moderator, yes?? no??

With that said.... Senators look horrible and tonights game with an outright win by either team will separate the Isles-Sens by either 5 points or 1 point....

Devils officially moved 1 point ahead of Isles last night.. Amazing considering how horrible the Devils looked a month ago and the fact that the Isles were almost 15 points ahead of them at one point.

Old
02-05-2011, 01:11 PM
cjdv16

Spezza's return will make a notable difference.

Isles will continue to do what they do.

Devils will continue to rise.

Edmonton will continue to get worse.

Final standings:

30th: Edmonton
29th: NYI
28th: Ottawa

Old
02-05-2011, 01:25 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Last season I started reading the player profiles from TSR.A really good site.They've got their top 60 up.The isles have at least three picks in the top 50-55.Their own 1st and 2nd rounders,plus the Habs 2nd rounder.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...0-skaters-130/

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...-skaters-3160/

Old
02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Last season I started reading the player profiles from TSR.A really good site.They've got their top 60 up.The isles have at least three picks in the top 50-55.Their own 1st and 2nd rounders,plus the Habs 2nd rounder.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...0-skaters-130/

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...-skaters-3160/
I have been reading their rankings as well... good site...

Gare Joyce/ESPN just put his midterm rankings up a week or so ago.. It's the first midterm ranking I've seen with Couturier in the top spot..

Larsson is on top of all the other major scouting service rankings..

I know Landeskog was top North American skater for CSB with Larsson their top European, but they separate North American and European skaters... I wonder who they would have put first overall??

RNH seems to be in that second overall spot in alot of rankings (TSN, ISS) ahead of Landeskog/Couturier..

This thing is wide open.

Old
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

Final standings:

As weird as it is to say this, I almost hope we don't get the first pick.. I'd rather get the second or third... Reason being, I am becoming convinced Larsson is becoming the consensus first overall pick and I'd think we'd be forced to take him and I dont want a defenseman... I'd rather have a forward, and at 2 or 3, we'd be getting Landeskog/RNH/Couturier... I'm happy walking away with one of those three forwards and building our D in the later rounds, free agency, etc..

Old
02-05-2011, 01:50 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

Final standings:

which sucks because EDM will most definatly pick Larsson

Old
02-05-2011, 02:40 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
As weird as it is to say this, I almost hope we don't get the first pick.. I'd rather get the second or third... Reason being, I am becoming convinced Larsson is becoming the consensus first overall pick and I'd think we'd be forced to take him and I dont want a defenseman... I'd rather have a forward, and at 2 or 3, we'd be getting Landeskog/RNH/Couturier... I'm happy walking away with one of those three forwards and building our D in the later rounds, free agency, etc..
The experts say there is a top 4, and they're all flawed in their own way with very little separating them.

1) Oilers - Adam Larsson
Of the 4 available players, I don't see them taking RNH because of how small their top 6 is currently. They also have some stud forwards to build around, but their lack of top-tier young defensemen will make it hard for them to pass on Larsson. They could also take Couturier because they do indeed need some size down the middle, but they likely take Larsson due to need.

2) Islanders - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
I personally would love to have Larsson with our top pick, but I don't see him dropping past whomever drafts 1st as all of the teams that are candidates for the 1st pick are in dire need of a potential franchise dman, or even a top pairing dman. The Isles are no exception, however with relatively "safe" picks in Okposo, Bailey, Tavares, and Neiderreiter, it's time the Isles take a swing for the fences and draft a player that not only that puts up the numbers but can do it with flair and creativity. By all accounts RNH has the best skill set of anybody in this draft. His goal scoring ability has been knocked as he only has 19 on the season, but his vision, creativity, and ability to make others better is the best of anybody in the draft according to all of the reports I've read. He would look really good on JT's wing. A speed guy with the hands to match.

I do not see the Isles drafting Couturier and/or Landeskog ahead of either of the guys listed above simply because their ceilings aren't as high and because they have similar prospects already on board in Bailey, Okposo, and Neiderreiter. Landeskog's injury could see him drop as well.

If the Isles do decide to trade down, the two players that stand out to me are Ryan Strome and Jonathan Huberdeau. Both players are having breakout seasons this season, and have immense offensive potential, and have not gotten as much hype as the top 4 because they have only recently burst onto the scene. However, Strome's (OHL) and Huberdeau's (QMJHL) offensive production this year are not far off from RNH or Couturier, respectively. These two are also among the youngest players available in the draft.

Old
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
There's still a lotto.

Old
02-05-2011, 05:20 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Very good scouting report and information on RNH
http://thehockeywriters.com/thenexto...ugent-hopkins/

Old
02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Devils officially moved 1 point ahead of Isles last night.. Amazing considering how horrible the Devils looked a month ago and the fact that the Isles were almost 15 points ahead of them at one point.
Not too amazing.

Should have been expected the minute Lemaire took over again.

That guy is rarely in charge of non-competitive teams.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-05-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old
02-05-2011, 06:06 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
The experts say there is a top 4, and they're all flawed in their own way with very little separating them.

1) Oilers - Adam Larsson
Of the 4 available players, I don't see them taking RNH because of how small their top 6 is currently. They also have some stud forwards to build around, but their lack of top-tier young defensemen will make it hard for them to pass on Larsson. They could also take Couturier because they do indeed need some size down the middle, but they likely take Larsson due to need.

I personally would love to have Larsson with our top pick, but I don't see him dropping past whomever drafts 1st as all of the teams that are candidates for the 1st pick are in dire need of a potential franchise dman, or even a top pairing dman. The Isles are no exception, however with relatively "safe" picks in Okposo, Bailey, Tavares, and Neiderreiter, it's time the Isles take a swing for the fences and draft a player that not only that puts up the numbers but can do it with flair and creativity. By all accounts RNH has the best skill set of anybody in this draft. His goal scoring ability has been knocked as he only has 19 on the season, but his vision, creativity, and ability to make others better is the best of anybody in the draft according to all of the reports I've read. He would look really good on JT's wing. A speed guy with the hands to match.

I do not see the Isles drafting Couturier and/or Landeskog ahead of either of the guys listed above simply because their ceilings aren't as high and because they have similar prospects already on board in Bailey, Okposo, and Neiderreiter. Landeskog's injury could see him drop as well.

If the Isles do decide to trade down, the two players that stand out to me are Ryan Strome and Jonathan Huberdeau. Both players are having breakout seasons this season, and have immense offensive potential, and have not gotten as much hype as the top 4 because they have only recently burst onto the scene. However, Strome's (OHL) and Huberdeau's (QMJHL) offensive production this year are not far off from RNH or Couturier, respectively. These two are also among the youngest players available in the draft.
thats who im interstted in and Khoklechev

Old
02-05-2011, 06:07 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
There's still a lotto.
yeahhh but that would require LUCK which this franchise has none....

Old
02-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
I don't know, of the bottom teams, they have the most dire need for a center with size and skill, and with the speed they have on wings would be the most able to overlook skating. I could see them taking Couturier.

Old
02-05-2011, 07:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
Very good scouting report and information on RNH
http://thehockeywriters.com/thenexto...ugent-hopkins/
It sounds like Larsson and RNH's potential put them on one tier,with Couturier and Landeskog a notch below.

Has anyone seen all 4 play?

Old
02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
I personally would love to have Larsson with our top pick, but I don't see him dropping past whomever drafts 1st as all of the teams that are candidates for the 1st pick are in dire need of a potential franchise dman, or even a top pairing dman. The Isles are no exception, however with relatively "safe" picks in Okposo, Bailey, Tavares, and Neiderreiter, it's time the Isles take a swing for the fences and draft a player that not only that puts up the numbers but can do it with flair and creativity. By all accounts RNH has the best skill set of anybody in this draft.
I mostly agree with your analysis. The problem is that you got the wrong player for a "home run" and "not safe" pick. Also, RNH has the second best skillset of anyone in the draft. The best is by far Ryan Murphy of the Kitchener Rangers. It is simply unreal how smooth he is.

47games 19goals 43assists 62points (OHL)
vs.
52games 19goals 60assists 79points (WHL)

Who do you take???

I would take RNH, but if we pick 5th somehow then there is no question in my mind that we should go for the home run pick of Ryan Murphy, even if we are already small defensively. You spend big bucks and get a stay at home, mean, nasty, crease clearing dman in free agency.

But if we're picking #1 overall, we take RNH hands down. He would compliment Tavares game immensely. I just see him creating so much space on the ice for Tavares to set-up camp. Really, the only way that RNH bombs is if becomes a perimeter player at the NHL level, since we have enough of those and they won't help Tavares game at all.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
It sounds like Larsson and RNH's potential put them on one tier,with Couturier and Landeskog a notch below.

Has anyone seen all 4 play?
I have. Right now I'd rank them:

RNH (home run pick, IMO)
Larsson
Landeskog
Couturier

Nugent-Hopkins is the one with superstar potential in this group. His hands, vision and skating are sick. He's Stamkos-like but a supreme set up man rather than supreme scorer. He's also pretty brilliant defensively. I haven't even mentioned his best asset yet, his IQ.

Larsson is safe, not exciting but he'll eat up lots of hard minutes and he can move the puck.

Landeskog is all heart and leadership. He'll be a winner and push guys around him to be better every shift. He battles like crazy and wills his way to scoring. His skill gets underratted too, much like Jonathan Toews' did when people called him a gritty leader.

Couturier is a great consolation. Big boy who will get strong. He's got offensive instincts you can't teach.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:47 PM
GOLFWANG

rnh has been looking great after the skills game and just had like a 5 or 6 point night

Old
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I have. Right now I'd rank them:

RNH (home run pick, IMO)
Larsson
Landeskog
Couturier

Nugent-Hopkins is the one with superstar potential in this group. His hands, vision and skating are sick. He's Stamkos-like but a supreme set up man rather than supreme scorer. He's also pretty brilliant defensively. I haven't even mentioned his best asset yet, his IQ.

Larsson is safe, not exciting but he'll eat up lots of hard minutes and he can move the puck.

Landeskog is all heart and leadership. He'll be a winner and push guys around him to be better every shift. He battles like crazy and wills his way to scoring. His skill gets underratted too, much like Jonathan Toews' did when people called him a gritty leader.

Couturier is a great consolation. Big boy who will get strong. He's got offensive instincts you can't teach.

Thanks.I appreciate the scouting report from someone who's seen them all play.I was kind of leery about Landeskog,after an article questioning his scoring nhl potential.

Old
02-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

For those who like Huberdeau and Strome... what about Tomas Jurco? The guy is big, he goes to the net, and he is great at redirecting pucks. He also has a great shot. He looks like a prototypical 30 goal scorer. Plus his shootout highlight real is ridiculous. He seems very underrated.

Old
02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
I mostly agree with your analysis. The problem is that you got the wrong player for a "home run" and "not safe" pick. Also, RNH has the second best skillset of anyone in the draft. The best is by far Ryan Murphy of the Kitchener Rangers. It is simply unreal how smooth he is.

47games 19goals 43assists 62points (OHL)
vs.
52games 19goals 60assists 79points (WHL)

Who do you take???

I would take RNH, but if we pick 5th somehow then there is no question in my mind that we should go for the home run pick of Ryan Murphy, even if we are already small defensively. You spend big bucks and get a stay at home, mean, nasty, crease clearing dman in free agency.

But if we're picking #1 overall, we take RNH hands down. He would compliment Tavares game immensely. I just see him creating so much space on the ice for Tavares to set-up camp. Really, the only way that RNH bombs is if becomes a perimeter player at the NHL level, since we have enough of those and they won't help Tavares game at all.

This post was written as if you were living by your screen name and totally forgot about Adam Larsson.

Old
02-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Please remove your comments. They are rude and offensive.

Old
02-05-2011, 09:57 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

^ Play nice boys... long way off till the draft.. no fighting yet, this thread only started today, let's keep it civil... )

Things just got tighter...

Two points separating The Sens, Devils and Isles with Edmonton only a few points behind as well.... should get interesting.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:05 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Please remove your comments. They are rude and offensive.
  1. Can't tell if you're serious because...
  2. ...I was kidding.
  3. And besides...My comments weren't mean or rude at all. More like witty and comedic.

I mean I referred to you as the very thing you refer to yourself as...A "Brain Hemorrhage." If anything, you are offending yourself.

Lighten up Hemorrhage.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

I haven't seen Adam Larsson play (I did not watch the WJC, except for highlights). All I have seen from him are a few highlights. I have seen Ryan Murphy play, and he is the real deal. He is a once in a generation offensive defenseman talent.

I am in the boat where you don't draft defensemen in the first round unless they have something so special that you know if you don't draft them, you'll never see that player go to another team.

If this kid was 3 inches taller, there would be no debate about who the #1 pick in the draft would be.

My post was written as somebody who isn't living in Sweden right now.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I mean I referred to you as the very thing you refer to yourself as...A "Brain Hemorrhage." If anything, you are offending yourself.
My username relates to the fact I had two abstracts published in the Journal of Undergraduate Research, where I did cutting edge studies on the human brain under leading researchers in the field of nuclear imaging.

As I recall, somebody named my computer in the lab "ultrabrain". I am a geek at heart and we geeks tend to like naming things in bunches using simple gimmicks, like naming Linux distributions after Toy Story characters (Debian Sarge, Debian Woody, etc...)

Closed Thread