HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Send Del Zotto Down

Old
02-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden View Post
He was a 19 year old defenseman last year who displayed the odd flashes of pure brilliance. I never knew the concept of talented players that young was to simply deal them...

MDZ is uber talented... but that's the problem... MDZ knows that and figures he can control the play. It's all in his head with Del Zotto... and if he matures, with a coach like Torts, this kid has the ability of being a pure beast.

Just give it time...
I agree it is in his head, but 2 games in a row now he has look lost at times and is forcing the play. If that isn't reason to at least scratch him then I don't know what is? I know we have given torts crap about allowing vets to get away with stuff he won't let kids get away with, BUT MDZ should not be playing. less than 2 weeks ago he was questioning why MDZ was even up here and now he is paired with gilroy? That has nightmare written all over it tomorrow

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:52 AM
DutchShamrock

Look at how prepared Sauer, McDonough and Gilroy look after time in the A. Send Del Zotto down for the season and let him develop like the other young D who are thriving here.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:28 AM
dynamoovechkin

I'm seriously worried about DZ. His defensive positioning at times betrays a fairly low hockey IQ. His decision making with the puck is suspect. Lost his confidence entirely. Just seems overmatched at times.

I was actually mildly surprised that Torts scratched Eminger in favor of him.

Granted, sees the ice well, good at the stretch pass, good passer in general. It's just that the drop off has been scary.

Oh, WHY didn't we draft Cam Fowler? Because we had one of those already in DZ?

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I'm not going to discount that it very well might be in HIS best interests to be in the minors right now but the fact of the matter is that OUR PP stinks. If we're going to go anywhere this season, we're going to need a productive powerplay. As of now, Del Zotto is one of and probably THE best option from the point. So long as he's not getting major minutes even strength, I'm not opposed to keeping him with the big club.

Also, let's not completely leave out some of the good he did last night. Twice with under a minute to go he prevented the Devil's from icing the game with the empty netter. Without that, we don't get the opportunity to tie it up.
i don't see how we have a better shot at winning games with him marginally improving a flawed PP, while also bringing a massive defensive liability everytime he's on the ice.

i mean, let's keep in mind that at his VERY BEST last season he was still a nightmare-ishly poor defenseman when anything other than offense was required.

the guy plays a top notch AHL level game, and an extremely poor NHL level game right now. That is a pretty good indicator that he should be down there fine-tuning his craft, and playing with confidence.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
i don't see how we have a better shot at winning games with him marginally improving a flawed PP, while also bringing a massive defensive liability everytime he's on the ice.

i mean, let's keep in mind that at his VERY BEST last season he was still a nightmare-ishly poor defenseman when anything other than offense was required.

the guy plays a top notch AHL level game, and an extremely poor NHL level game right now. That is a pretty good indicator that he should be down there fine-tuning his craft, and playing with confidence.
He was anything but top notch in his short stint in the AHL this season

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:11 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Kudos to Torts

Quote:
Torts on DZ vs. Eminger: We're going to go with our young guys...even though Emmy isn't 35 years old.
https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...32759420379137

Quote:
Torts says that Michael Del Zotto remains in lineup over Eminger bc "we're in the process of developing him too"
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...32839162486785

Quote:
Torts: "We want to develop our younger players, and especially with Michael--we sent him to minors, now we want to work with him here"
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...33082104963072

Schoeny made similar comments earlier this week

Quote:
ďHeís back on track as far as an incremental upgrade of his entire game,Ē said Schoenfeld, who saw Del Zotto play three of his first 10 games with the Whale and the two games on his first recall to the Rangers. ďAs has been documented, itís a tough position being the last line of defense before the goalie, so your mistakes are glaring. And because of his ability, Michael also adds an offensive element to his game, and when youíre put on the power play, you have to produce, and if you arenít, you look at somebody else.

ďBut you donít have to be off much to suffer greatly in both areas, and thatís all it was. He wasnít dreadful. He was just a little off his game for our expectations, and I think for his expectations. And we just felt the best thing for Michael was to go find his best game. It had nothing to do with sending a message. It was strictly hockey. He was not one of our top six (defensemen) in New York, so why have a young kid in and out of the lineup? So we wanted him to go find his best game, and I think he has done that.Ē
http://howlings.net/2011/01/30/from-...uce-berlet-53/

So it's come to this. Rangers management(including Torts)has more patience with young players than the fan base.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:14 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

:15

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Given Tort's statements about MDZ still being developed and they feel his development continues from this point at the NHL level, then do we try our dambdest to aquire Kaberle since it is a need for us and also could take the pressure off MDZ to be "the man" as far as being our top PMD?

What is Kab's looking for long term?

If it didnt cost us a core player or Kreider, would any of you consider Kab's as not just a rental, but a 2-4 year tutor for MDZ who also benefits the kids development by letting him progress without the weight of the world on his shoulders?

Not looking to start a Kaberle trade proposal fest here.

Specifically, what is you opinion on Kaberle's affect on MDZ as a individual? As well as filling a current team need.

x BEUKEBOOM x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
Given Tort's statements about MDZ still being developed and they feel his development continues from this point at the NHL level, then do we try our dambdest to aquire Kaberle since it is a need for us and also could take the pressure off MDZ to be "the man" as far as being our top PMD?

What is Kab's looking for long term?

If it didnt cost us a core player or Kreider, would any of you consider Kab's as not just a rental, but a 2-4 year tutor for MDZ who also benefits the kids development by letting him progress without the weight of the world on his shoulders?

Not looking to start a Kaberle trade proposal fest here.

Specifically, what is you opinion on Kaberle's affect on MDZ as a individual? As well as filling a current team need.
Stay the course and go for Richards. We really don't need another defenseman; that's our biggest strength. Richards also plays the left point on the PP, so even if he's not a defenseman, he can mentor Del Zotto on the PP while filling a much bigger hole than Kaberle.

EDIT: We've already got Staal, McDonagh, and MDZ on the left side. Really don't have room for Kaberle to mentor MDZ long term.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Janerixon

Schoeny's comments sound like a Joke as do Torts who said before the all-star break that MDZ should still be with the whale and that MDZ was only up here because of the injury to Girardi. I am all for some patience but the kid has looked like crap in the last 2 games especially, there is no reason for him to be given a free pass, lets just keep playing him so his game gets worse and worse. That will do wonders for his confidence.

Old
02-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
So it's come to this. Rangers management(including Torts)has more patience with young players than the fan base.
Criticizing our fan base overall is a mistake. Sure there are the few pessimists (as there always are) who say trade DZ right now. But i think for the most part the fan base wants to keep him.

That being said, there are players who deserve to get time in the NHL and ones who deserve time in the AHL. If we were out of the playoff picture i would be totally for MDZ staying in the lineup and getting a fair share of minutes to further his development. But were not, the Rangers are in the heat of a playoff race right now. MDZ, is NOT the best option. Eminger has certainly proved to be a more capable and responsible d-man this year.

In five years, obviously i want MDZ over Eminger. But today, which is the most important game right now, Eminger should be in the lineup. When torts came here he's said hes going to put the lineup out that gives this team the best chance to win. That lineup tonight doesn't include MDZ.

By no means have i given up on him. I believe he will be an above average NHL d-man for 10+ years. He needs seasoning, and his entire career in the NHL has proved that. Kid has awesome skill, but needs to work on his defensive aspects of the game. He's a part of this core and Eminger is likely not. But as a fan of this team, the most important thing right now is winning, and Eminger gives us the best shot tonight.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Criticizing our fan base overall is a mistake. Sure there are the few pessimists (as there always are) who say trade DZ right now. But i think for the most part the fan base wants to keep him.

That being said, there are players who deserve to get time in the NHL and ones who deserve time in the AHL. If we were out of the playoff picture i would be totally for MDZ staying in the lineup and getting a fair share of minutes to further his development. But were not, the Rangers are in the heat of a playoff race right now. MDZ, is NOT the best option. Eminger has certainly proved to be a more capable and responsible d-man this year.

In five years, obviously i want MDZ over Eminger. But today, which is the most important game right now, Eminger should be in the lineup. When torts came here he's said hes going to put the lineup out that gives this team the best chance to win. That lineup tonight doesn't include MDZ.

By no means have i given up on him. I believe he will be an above average NHL d-man for 10+ years. He needs seasoning, and his entire career in the NHL has proved that. Kid has awesome skill, but needs to work on his defensive aspects of the game. He's a part of this core and Eminger is likely not. But as a fan of this team, the most important thing right now is winning, and Eminger gives us the best shot tonight.
Agreed, trading Del Zotto, a 20 year old is just stupid. I would much rather Eminger playing as the Habs are a small team and I want a more physical d-man to make the small speedy forwards to pay for dumping and chasing and going hard to the net.

As you said, we are in a playoff race, this is a huge game, if not the biggest of the season as we are on a 3 game losing streak. I never would have thought I would rather see Eminger in the lineup than MDZ if you asked me that this summer, but Eminger has been more consistent and he usually does not force the play and makes the safe pass up the boards.

MDZ is playing tonight, lets hope he plays well and we get the win, thats all I want.

Old
02-05-2011, 12:46 PM
TomLaidlaw

So the question comes down to ......Is it better for MDZ to develop in the AHL or the NHL? Two weeks ago the Rangers seemed to make the decision that it was better for him to play in Hartford. Now they have done a complete 180 and feel developing him at the NHL level is the better route. What changed in two weeks? Did they have a sit down during the All Star break?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Janerixon

I guess MSG must know most of the fan base is getting annoyed with MDZ as Joe highlighted his 2 passes with Gilroy that led to a break out of the zone and now they are interviewing MDZ. Jeez are they giving him a push

Last edited by Janerixon: 02-05-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old
02-05-2011, 02:07 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I guess MSG must know most of the fan base is getting annoyed with MDZ as Joe highlighted his 2 passes with Gilroy that led to a break out of the zone and now they are interviewing MDZ. Jeez are they giving him a push
In that interview MDZ said he likes where his game is right now. At least self confidence isn't an issue with him. He is delusional, but at least he is confident.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:10 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He was rushed last season. He should have spent a season or 2 in the AHL working on his defensive game but the Rangers had an immediate need for an offensive game. Send him down and let him continue to develop.
I don't think it's rushing a guy when DZ was playing the way he was. What kind of message does it send when a guy plays the way DZ does, outplays at least 3 of the guys that would've made the team over him, and he still doesn't make it?

He also wasn't eligible to play in the A last year.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:51 PM
jc25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

:15
Who was it that thanked Torts for the answer to the last question?

jc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post

With as terrible as this powerplay is and how poor our roster is suited for the powerplay, I just don't see how you wouldn't jump at the opportunity to improve it...even if it is just "marginally". I don't care if it's with Del Zotto or someone else, but you have to do it.

The point position is an absolute black hole and it has been for years... Zuccarello isn't cutting it. Staal isn't very good. Gilroy stinks. Del Zotto is the only one that is close to being competent. And at least with him there is the hope that he will improve since he was pretty good last year.

Yes his defense is bad. That shouldn't be a huge concern though so long as they limit his ice time 5 on 5. We have dmen that can hold there own defensively. What this unit lacks is some creativity from the backend. A little balance on the blue line is not a bad thing.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:59 PM
jc25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
With as terrible as this powerplay is and how poor our roster is suited for the powerplay, I just don't see how you wouldn't jump at the opportunity to improve it...even if it is just "marginally". I don't care if it's with Del Zotto or someone else, but you have to do it.

The point position is an absolute black hole and it has been for years... Zuccarello isn't cutting it. Staal isn't very good. Gilroy stinks. Del Zotto is the only one that is close to being competent. And at least with him there is the hope that he will improve since he was pretty good last year.

Yes his defense is bad. That shouldn't be a huge concern though so long as they limit his ice time 5 on 5. We have dmen that can hold there own defensively. What this unit lacks is some creativity from the backend. A little balance on the blue line is not a bad thing.
I think they definitely can be taught. A common trait for any play manning the point during the powerplay is lack of confidence. They rarely move the puck to the middle of the points and all these teams know it.

I like the way Gilroy plays the PP.

With regards to DZ people just need to relax. He's so young.

jc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Ke11y96

Would You Move Del Zotto?

He's turning 21 this off season would anyone here trade Del Zotto for an under 30 year old pp QB? I still don't know if he was made available for real or if it was an april fools joke but he was in that supposed package for Stamkos...But seeing as Staal, Girardi, Sauer, and McD are all getting significant playing time as top 4 defenseman I'm just toying with the idea of instead of waiting for Del Zotto to mature, would you go after a young dman already established?

Yandle - RFA
Burns - 1 X 3.55
Weber - RFA
Byfuglien - RFA

Granted not all those guys are QB's but they get pp shots and goals through on the point..

Personally I'd keep the kid 37 points rookie year although a -20 but just something that it makes ya wonder if he's considered movable given the emergence of other defenseman...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
He's turning 21 this off season would anyone here trade Del Zotto for an under 30 year old pp QB? I still don't know if he was made available for real or if it was an april fools joke but he was in that supposed package for Stamkos...But seeing as Staal, Girardi, Sauer, and McD are all getting significant playing time as top 4 defenseman I'm just toying with the idea of instead of waiting for Del Zotto to mature, would you go after a young dman already established?

Yandle - RFA
Burns - 1 X 3.55
Weber - RFA
Byfuglien - RFA

Granted not all those guys are QB's but they get pp shots and goals through on the point..

Personally I'd keep the kid 37 points rookie year although a -20 but just something that it makes ya wonder if he's considered movable given the emergence of other defenseman...
It'd be Del Zotto+++ for any of those 4. To actually get their team to move them, massive overpayment would be needed. Wouldn't happen.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post

Yandle - RFA
Burns - 1 X 3.55
Weber - RFA
Byfuglien - RFA

I wouldn't move him because if I was Phoenix, Minnesota, Nashville, or Atlanta, I'd laugh loudly in your face at any of those offers. At present time, his value is on the down, and he's not worth anything that's going to actually help us this year.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
It'd be Del Zotto+++ for any of those 4. To actually get their team to move them, massive overpayment would be needed. Wouldn't happen.
Yeah I'm not saying straight up or even for either of those four I just quickly glanced at some RFA's or soon to be UFA's but I'm just saying either for someone straight up or in a package trade would you move DZ???

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Time to call up your boy Chad Johnson, isn't it... Please.
Biron is his name. Marten Biron. He plays well at the moment.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:51 PM
bscharf

Del Zotto is a star in the making- Hes so young and developing.

by 25 hell be as good or better than anyone at that list as well as the Rangers PP QB.

Torts even said on Behind the bench,

"When this team is ready be cup contenders, Del Zotto will be a cornerstone of the team."

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote