HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Friday Face-Offs, 2/4- Nashville @ the Trade Deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2011, 12:55 PM
  #26
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
The problem is Legwand was the #2 pick in his draft. He has not turned out to be the offensive weapon he was projected to be. He has become a shut down center, that's fine you need that. But if he can't pot 20 goals and double digit assists along with that, he is overpaid. And for us as offensively challenged as we are, we can't afford that. So this is a reflection on management more than anything else.
And yet when he's paired with decent offensive talent, he and his linemates produce? Hmmmmm. Could it not be a direct reflection of Legwand and his talent as opposed to the way he's being used? We complain he doesn't score when paired with Smithson and Ward and yet when the numbers show that Legwand's, Wilson's and Hornqvist's production have all gone up since they've been a line no mention of this is made and the losing streak we're on is thrown upon his feet. I love how that always seems to be the case. We struggle offensively and it's Legwand's fault. How about sometimes guys miss. How about other teams goalies make some pretty good saves. Last time I checked that Ovie guy is underproducing for the money he's making. Just because you're the number 2 overall pick and projected to be a scorer doesn't mean it's going to happen. You wanna go back and do the research on number 2 picks and what they were projected to do and what they actually did? How about overall number 1's while we're at it or throw in the top 3 for that matter.

What's funny is that Lecavalier, with one Cup win and the number 1 pick that year has been pretty invisible since Stamkos showed up in Tampa and he's paid a heck of a lot more than Legwand is.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:55 PM
  #27
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
There's a vast difference between "will listen to all offers" and "we want to trade this guy". Weiss is likely to be an overpayment candidate.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 01:23 PM
  #28
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
The problem is Legwand was the #2 pick in his draft. He has not turned out to be the offensive weapon he was projected to be. He has become a shut down center, that's fine you need that. But if he can't pot 20 goals and double digit assists along with that, he is overpaid. And for us as offensively challenged as we are, we can't afford that. So this is a reflection on management more than anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
It is a bit disingenuous that one of your top salaried player is just producing more when he supposed to be producing a lot according to his pay scale. So Dumont who is not on a top line has more goals on the 4th line than on the top line. Is there a stat for that. By the way there is not hate involved here. Because I see a differing opinion therefore you put negative connotation on it. Florida is in the rebuilding mode last time I checked and Glen is the one who first suggested. I just reinterated his point. Do you even know who Florida's GM is? For the record it is called a trade that is how we could get him and we would have to send commodities such as players from the minors or picks. By the way Jim McKensie with Willie was on the radio postgame show stated that Legwand's offensive game was not his forte and that for most part in the game with the Flyers he was invisible. I guess he's a hater too
Not that either of you accused anyone of saying this, but here's the facts (such as they are): in the short time in which Legwand has had to play an offensive role this season (with offensively skilled line mates), he was on a pace of roughly 60-ish points. That's certainly not in any type of elite category.

However, it is a pace that trumps what any first line center has done for Nashville with the exception of one of Arnott's seasons (his 72 pt campaign in 2007-2008) and, of course, the other time Legwand played an offensive role in which he scored 63 points in 2006-07 when paired with Kariya and Erat.

Just as a comparison:

O'Reilly's 82 game projection: 13G, 26A, 39Pts
Goc's 82 game projection: 15G, 22A, 37Pts

Let's ignore the fact that Legwand played half of his games on a checking line and project his 82 game stats based upon all games played to-date: 17G, 27A, 44Pts

The simple fact is that right now, David Legwand is the most offensively gifted center and the best defensively gifted center. While Lombardi might be able to best Legwand offensively, that remains to be seen in Predator colors.

The dollar value of Legwand's contract has no bearing on anything. Financially, the Predators can bring in another center easily.

It's really hard to dispute those facts.

Now, ideally Legwand would be the second line center. Then again, according to historical statistics, so is Lombardi.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:15 PM
  #29
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
There's a vast difference between "will listen to all offers" and "we want to trade this guy". Weiss is likely to be an overpayment candidate.
that's sounds negative to me. You got to be positive and think Poile can work some magic. GM's don't actually come out and say this guy is gone. They wheel and deal. You should know this if have followed hockey long enough. Maybe you haven't

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:27 PM
  #30
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And yet when he's paired with decent offensive talent, he and his linemates produce? Hmmmmm. Could it not be a direct reflection of Legwand and his talent as opposed to the way he's being used? We complain he doesn't score when paired with Smithson and Ward and yet when the numbers show that Legwand's, Wilson's and Hornqvist's production have all gone up since they've been a line no mention of this is made and the losing streak we're on is thrown upon his feet. I love how that always seems to be the case. We struggle offensively and it's Legwand's fault. How about sometimes guys miss. How about other teams goalies make some pretty good saves. Last time I checked that Ovie guy is underproducing for the money he's making. Just because you're the number 2 overall pick and projected to be a scorer doesn't mean it's going to happen. You wanna go back and do the research on number 2 picks and what they were projected to do and what they actually did? How about overall number 1's while we're at it or throw in the top 3 for that matter.

What's funny is that Lecavalier, with one Cup win and the number 1 pick that year has been pretty invisible since Stamkos showed up in Tampa and he's paid a heck of a lot more than Legwand is.
The same can be said for Dumont and Ward and Wilson when paired with better line mates. When a guy can't score a goal in 40 plus games last year then it's more than linemates. His track record show that he had one fluke year with Kariya and then he's underacheived since. Everyone says he's a great defender but Smithson has done a great job when he got moved. Smithson is paid exactly right. Trotz put Legwand on the checking line and everyone says Trotz is doing a wonderful job and now your saying that he doesn't because he put him with terrible linemates. Which is it. It doesn't bother me that he didn't pan because of his draft status it was a bad draft. The problem is the length of his contract and the price when renewed. If he was making 3ml he wouldn't be a problem. Erat is a problem too underperforming as well as Dumont this year. Dumont and Wilson have been on every line yet they score.These guys are the top salaried players on this team. Hornqvist is a bargain at 3ml. If your so called top salaried players don't perform ususally means no playoffs or early exits case example Arnott in the playoffs last year.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
  #31
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Not that either of you accused anyone of saying this, but here's the facts (such as they are): in the short time in which Legwand has had to play an offensive role this season (with offensively skilled line mates), he was on a pace of roughly 60-ish points. That's certainly not in any type of elite category.

However, it is a pace that trumps what any first line center has done for Nashville with the exception of one of Arnott's seasons (his 72 pt campaign in 2007-2008) and, of course, the other time Legwand played an offensive role in which he scored 63 points in 2006-07 when paired with Kariya and Erat.

Just as a comparison:

O'Reilly's 82 game projection: 13G, 26A, 39Pts
Goc's 82 game projection: 15G, 22A, 37Pts

Let's ignore the fact that Legwand played half of his games on a checking line and project his 82 game stats based upon all games played to-date: 17G, 27A, 44Pts

The simple fact is that right now, David Legwand is the most offensively gifted center and the best defensively gifted center. While Lombardi might be able to best Legwand offensively, that remains to be seen in Predator colors.

The dollar value of Legwand's contract has no bearing on anything. Financially, the Predators can bring in another center easily.

It's really hard to dispute those facts.

Now, ideally Legwand would be the second line center. Then again, according to historical statistics, so is Lombardi.
This 82 game is bad pure speculation. You don't take into effect that players go into slumps and minor injuries and hot streaks. What do you mean that contract has no bearing. Sure it does if any players is not living up the contract it hurts the team. You can't even count what Lombardi would have or will do because we don't know anything at this point ...it's a bad break or bad luck. We have a talented center but we don't use him ...his name is Colin Wilson. We use him as a winger. Trotz only develops defensive centers. I want Legwand to perform great he hasn't. He played good in the playoffs last year. He has talent. He has offensive talent. But he doesn't have confidence one bit in his game.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:05 PM
  #32
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,923
vCash: 500
Rosey, take it up with Poile about Legwand's contract then. Saying he makes too much and doesn't produce is a byproduct of either given too much, which 101 has disputed with ease about what others in the same category of center make and it's as much a byproduct of who he plays with. Entering Smithson into this discussion makes me want to laugh that much more.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:12 PM
  #33
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
that's sounds negative to me. You got to be positive and think Poile can work some magic. GM's don't actually come out and say this guy is gone. They wheel and deal. You should know this if have followed hockey long enough. Maybe you haven't


Florida's greatest needs right now are draft picks and offense. How would you react if they came here and asked for Kostitsyn, or Wilson? 'Cause those are guys they would need, and would ask for.

Unless, of course, you're willing to trade one of Weber or Suter... yeah, okay, let's just stop there.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.