HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

45 minutes of slumber is no way to win on the road

Old
02-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Not shocked that a Lindy Ruff team couldn't manage to show up for more than 15 minutes of a game after a long break. Even when we had world-beater teams this happened consistently. I'm more shocked we weren't playing the Islanders or Panthers when we did it this time. If you look at the other two Pittsburgh games and the two Chicago games that went exactly the same Buffalo would be in the playoffs right now if they didn't call asleep for a period in each of those 5 games.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:08 AM
glassjaw*

vCash: 500
I really want to see Letang get his clock cleaned. He's so girly looking that he should automatically be on the Canadiens.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
NativityPlayground*

Good

nothing...

Bad Miller
officiating was horrible !

Ugly

Miller..this ****ing guy cant make that save when this team needs it .
He needed to step up and stop the bleeding during that 7 minute span in the second and of course as the case has been all season ,he cant !

He got burnt by Cooke ? Looked way out of position .
Howard has hit a snag in Detroit as of late ...
Send Miller to where his heart is and get some talent at the Center position where this team sucks !
Get Enroth up and get him some more experience when going into next year .
The Flyers and Blackhawks both proved last year that average goaltending can get you where you need to go...
Niemi who ?
Leighton who ?
Boucher who?
I mean really..

Sabres need help at center...and please tell Ruff to get Niedermeyer of the ice when we need a goal with less than 2 minutes left in the game

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
A hidden good in all of this -- them wetting the bed in front of their new owner. A few of those guys didn't show up all night and first impressions are vital. The "Connolly as worst case scenario" option this summer may have taken a serious hit after the $4.5 million Con-man's performance last night.

02-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Good

nothing...

Bad Miller
officiating was horrible !

Ugly

Miller..this ****ing guy cant make that save when this team needs it .
He needed to step up and stop the bleeding during that 7 minute span in the second and of course as the case has been all season ,he cant !

He got burnt by Cooke ? Looked way out of position .
Howard has hit a snag in Detroit as of late ...
Send Miller to where his heart is and get some talent at the Center position where this team sucks !
Get Enroth up and get him some more experience when going into next year .
The Flyers and Blackhawks both proved last year that average goaltending can get you where you need to go...
Niemi who ?
Leighton who ?
Boucher who?
I mean really..

Sabres need help at center...and please tell Ruff to get Niedermeyer of the ice when we need a goal with less than 2 minutes left in the game

Have you noticed the forward depth for those teams? The quality of their top 4 defense? Buffalo is no where near that talented and they need to lean on Miller because they don't have the speed/skill/size combos of the true elite.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:14 AM
NativityPlayground*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Have you noticed the forward depth for those teams? The quality of their top 4 defense? Buffalo is no where near that talented and they need to lean on Miller because they don't have the speed/skill/size combos of the true elite.
I should have prefaced by saying I have a rec room devoted to the Sabres blue and gold and one whole wall devoted to Miller(which means I am a huge fan of his) and I am 43 years old ..

I have noticed ever since the Olympics he has not been the same goalie for whatever reason .

I have no problem calling a spade a spade even if its Miller .

He needed to make that stop on Cooke last night ..yet again he failed !

I just have noticed more so this year that when we need Miller to make that big save he in most cases has failed !

But i did say we are lacking severly at the Center position as well so I am not just banging on Miller !

Old
02-05-2011, 09:15 AM
NativityPlayground*

Quote:
A hidden good in all of this -- them wetting the bed in front of their new owner. A few of those guys didn't show up all night and first impressions are vital. The "Connolly as worst case scenario" option this summer may have taken a serious hit after the $4.5 million Con-man's performance last night.
Did Connolly even play last night ?

Old
02-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Did Connolly even play last night ?
He was instrumental in the Pens second goal with a bad backcheck and then having it go in off of him. Outside of that and one late shift where he looked like he tried, he was not just AWOL, but again DOA.

Old
02-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
He was instrumental in the Pens second goal with a bad backcheck and then having it go in off of him. Outside of that and one late shift where he looked like he tried, he was not just AWOL, but again DOA.
That was the first goal. And it sent them into a five-minute death spiral that they never recovered from.

By the way, how many goals have bounced off Sabres' skates and into the net this season? 15? 20? This is getting absurd.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:40 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
It's just proof that nowadays $6.5 million is better spent on quality forward depth than a star goalie.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

G

Myers -- If this is the mean streak we heard about last year, I'm loving it.
Weber -- Has moved up to #3 on the depth chart, IMHO.
Miller -- Some bad deflections, fluttering pucks. He played solid and you really can't pin this on him.
Nieds/Goose/Grier - Our best line tonight. That is an Ugly too.

B

Ennis has to finish that chance. We go up 3-0, Fleury probably gets pulled. That was the tide turner, along with...
Byron and Ennis... playing together? Shortly after the glorious miss by Tyler2, we got penned in our own end for close to a minute. Pens didn't score on that shift but the momentum never swung back to the Sabres.
Hecht... this is so similar to previous stints with Jochen at centre. Starts off OK, but teams figure him out and break down his line. Poms and Vanek never got a chance to get going.
Sekera... maybe him didn't have a bad game, but he didn't have a good one either. With Jochen at C, we need our D to carry the mail.

U

Connolly. Useless.
GNG. Our best line tonight?
Refs.
2nd period.
Cooke.
Kennedy's nose.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
It's just proof that nowadays $6.5 million is better spent on quality forward depth than a star goalie.
As compared to spending $4.5 million on a bum center, $3.5 million on a third line winger, $2.5 million on a fourth line center, and so on and so forth....

Old
02-05-2011, 10:27 AM
NativityPlayground*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
G

Myers -- If this is the mean streak we heard about last year, I'm loving it.
Weber -- Has moved up to #3 on the depth chart, IMHO.
Miller -- Some bad deflections, fluttering pucks. He played solid and you really can't pin this on him.
Nieds/Goose/Grier - Our best line tonight. That is an Ugly too.

B

Ennis has to finish that chance. We go up 3-0, Fleury probably gets pulled. That was the tide turner, along with...
Byron and Ennis... playing together? Shortly after the glorious miss by Tyler2, we got penned in our own end for close to a minute. Pens didn't score on that shift but the momentum never swung back to the Sabres.
Hecht... this is so similar to previous stints with Jochen at centre. Starts off OK, but teams figure him out and break down his line. Poms and Vanek never got a chance to get going.
Sekera... maybe him didn't have a bad game, but he didn't have a good one either. With Jochen at C, we need our D to carry the mail.

U

Connolly. Useless.
GNG. Our best line tonight?
Refs.
2nd period.
Cooke.
Kennedy's nose.
I agree with your opinion on Weber..

Disagree on the Miller opinion..Miller needed to and should have stopped that weak wrister from Kennedy from 35 feet especially on the bad of an angle and Cookes he looked aweful and out of position

Old
02-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
A hidden good in all of this -- them wetting the bed in front of their new owner. A few of those guys didn't show up all night and first impressions are vital.
Funny - I was just reading the TBN article and had the same thought as soon as I saw the headline.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
I agree with your opinion on Weber..

Disagree on the Miller opinion..Miller needed to and should have stopped that weak wrister from Kennedy from 35 feet especially on the bad of an angle and Cookes he looked aweful and out of position
Disagree on that goal, it ramped pretty hard off Leopold's stick.

He should have had the Cooke goal in my mind though.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Zip15

TSN has a still photo showing that the Pens were clearly offside just before Cooke's goal. Figures. A goal that should never have been and one off our player's skate. Pretty much sums up the season.

Old
02-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Disagree on that goal, it ramped pretty hard off Leopold's stick.

He should have had the Cooke goal in my mind though.
Agree on the Kennedy goal. It did look to me like it deflected perfectly off Leopold's stick.

On the Cooke goal.....my first thought was that Miller thought that Sekera would cut off Cooke's angle, not allowing Cooke to beat Miller wide. Sekera whiffed, leaving Cooke a gimmie.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
PuckSim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Agree on the Kennedy goal. It did look to me like it deflected perfectly off Leopold's stick.

On the Cooke goal.....my first thought was that Miller thought that Sekera would cut off Cooke's angle, not allowing Cooke to beat Miller wide. Sekera whiffed, leaving Cooke a gimmie.
So really, the first one was a bad deflection off of Connolly's skate, the second deflected and rocketed up off of Leopold's stick, and Cooke was all alone on an offsides play in the slot.

Not sure why Miller is shouldering so much of the blame for this loss when he kept the team in it, well past when they should have been.

Even in the first period the Sabres were out-shot after the opening 10 minutes, by quite a wide margin, yet still went into the break ahead by 2.

I think the blame for this loss is on the team not responding well to adversity, which has been the major problem all year long, and some would argue, since 07-08.

Watching it again though, I think Miller probably should've had the Cooke goal, though it definitely should have been called offsides. However him being offsides in no way contributed to him being in such a good scoring position, so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by PuckSim8: 02-05-2011 at 01:26 PM.
PuckSim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Miller's salary ($6.25) doesn't foreclose them from spending that amount on a quality forward. Vanek has a cap hit of $7.1. Pommer has a cap hit of $5.3. They have $8 mil in cap hit tied up in Hecht and Connolly. They have $4.4 mil in blueline cap hit that sits in the press box every night (Rivet and Butler). Miller's salary has absolutely no bearing on whether they can spend big money on forwards. They have spent it. They've just made some bad decisions.

Old
02-05-2011, 03:49 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Miller's salary ($6.25) doesn't foreclose them from spending that amount on a quality forward. Vanek has a cap hit of $7.1. Pommer has a cap hit of $5.3. They have $8 mil in cap hit tied up in Hecht and Connolly. They have $4.4 mil in blueline cap hit that sits in the press box every night (Rivet and Butler). Miller's salary has absolutely no bearing on whether they can spend big money on forwards. They have spent it. They've just made some bad decisions.
True, but you can't argue that the NHL isn't shifting away from building around a goalie. More and more teams, with more and more success, are spending under $4 million on 2 goalies and putting most of their money in their skaters.

Yes, we've spent money foolishly, but that's not the point i was making.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:25 PM
funkymag77

Quote:
True, but you can't argue that the NHL isn't shifting away from building around a goalie. More and more teams, with more and more success, are spending under $4 million on 2 goalies and putting most of their money in their skaters.

Yes, we've spent money foolishly, but that's not the point i was making.
I'd say its fairly uncertain either way. About half the teams in playoff spots right now have a single goalie signed to a 4 mil or more contract. Some teams are getting by fine without a big goalie contract, some however, are struggling mightily with 2 cheaper goalies. I don't think you can accurately deduct anything from this. It varies greatly from team to team. You can't just say that giving an elite goalie a big contract is going to hurt the team. There are so many factors to consider.

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:34 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Maybe on a well-built team if you were starting from scratch. But you couldn't fill all the holes Miller covers up with the $4 or $5 million you'd save by replacing him with a cheaper option.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote