HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Send Del Zotto Down

Old
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
Del Zotto is a star in the making- Hes so young and developing.

by 25 hell be as good or better than anyone at that list as well as the Rangers PP QB.

Torts even said on Behind the bench,

"When this team is ready be cup contenders, Del Zotto will be a cornerstone of the team."
Better than anyone on that list?????

If Del Zotto even comes close to Yandle, Burns, Weber, and Byfuglien, may I be anally violated by a racoon! MDZ will only be as good as those guys in his wildest dreams. We're talking about 4 all-stars here. Del Zotto is not, absoluetly NOT, a future all-star. He's not that good. Could he be our PP qb someday? Yes. A future top 4 perhaps? Yes. One of the NHL's top defensemen? Not even remotely close.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

I wouldn't move him. I would rather develop him (and other kids) to fit our mold and work within our system.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:05 PM
js10

moving him to Hartford hurt his self-esteem. Did he shot a puck this night? Because I saw only his passes when he had to shoot. But.. a big improvement in terms of give-aways.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:11 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by js10 View Post
moving him to Hartford hurt his self-esteem. Did he shot a puck this night? Because I saw only his passes when he had to shoot. But.. a big improvement in terms of give-aways.
Actually, he registered the only shot on goal during our first 3 powerplays. Not saying that is something special, but seeing he is being outplayed by all our other defenseman and his confidence is shaky, if I was the coach I'd pat him on the back and ask everyone else why they couldn't get a shot on goal...

No I wouldnt move him. too high of a ceiling, and if he reaches it somewhere else (zubov, cough cough) i'd be furious

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:19 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Actually, he registered the only shot on goal during our first 3 powerplays. Not saying that is something special, but seeing he is being outplayed by all our other defenseman and his confidence is shaky, if I was the coach I'd pat him on the back and ask everyone else why they couldn't get a shot on goal...

No I wouldnt move him. too high of a ceiling, and if he reaches it somewhere else (zubov, cough cough) i'd be furious
Sergei Zubov led the Rangers in scoring in his second year in the league. 12 goals, 77 assists. He's got a borderline HOF case.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Better than anyone on that list?????

If Del Zotto even comes close to Yandle, Burns, Weber, and Byfuglien, may I be anally violated by a racoon! MDZ will only be as good as those guys in his wildest dreams. We're talking about 4 all-stars here. Del Zotto is not, absoluetly NOT, a future all-star. He's not that good. Could he be our PP qb someday? Yes. A future top 4 perhaps? Yes. One of the NHL's top defensemen? Not even remotely close.
How do you know that? I'm not saying he will be, but it's a bit premature to claim that a 20 year old (playing d no less) will never be an all-star, no?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I love how last year gaborik and mdz are the saviors and this year there expendable

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Keep him up. Defense isn't the reason behind the losing streak. It's scoring and goaltending (minus today)

If somebody thinks there is a better offensive option right now than Del Zotto, then by all means share it with board

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:01 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

I am SICK of this board the past few days, so much hate....

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How do you know that? I'm not saying he will be, but it's a bit premature to claim that a 20 year old (playing d no less) will never be an all-star, no?
Perhaps, but I think it's ridiculous to claim that Del Zotto will be better than Shea Weber who is one of the best defensemen in the NHL.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Hes really struggling right now.

They have given him ample time to reestablish himself for this stretch run. They should send him down and unless an injury occurs they should leave him there to finish the season out.

I don't want this to seem negative, because it isnt. It was probably not the best thing having him up all year last year, but they were hamstrung with the cap and he did earn a spot out of camp.

I'm beginning to wonder if it kinda screwed up his development because of that, but he has gained NHL experience and knows what it takes to play at a high level. Let him play in the AHL the rest of the way and TELL HIM THAT because he needs to know that thats were he belongs right now for his development.
you know as much as i agree with you thats as much as i dont. would he benefit from a year in the ahl, yes. did he show he has the skill and the mozy to play at the nhl level last year, well, he did that too. many mistakes. as expected. hey he was 19, we knew that. it all comes down to what we think we are. are we that fringe playoff team hoping to be a montreal? or do we know we have no chance and should continue the path of rebuilding and try to get the draft picks which will make us what we all wish to be. THE NEW YORK RANGERS.

Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
Were loosing what else did u expect, it's a god damn roller coaster around here.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
It'd be Del Zotto+++ for any of those 4. To actually get their team to move them, massive overpayment would be needed. Wouldn't happen.
This forum likes to ***** about MDZ's lack of defensive play... yet you want to deal MDZ + for say a Dustin Byfuglien? Not exactly sure if you watch Thrasher games, but it may say Buff plays defense, but he doesn't exactly know how to play defense. He's been exposed lately without Tobias Enstrom with him.

And it was only a few years ago, Yandle was highly criticized for his defensive play... where his long term future in the league was considered by some to be very questionable.

I thought DZ had an encouraging game today. Even made a very strong defensive play near the end of the game breaking up a two on one which likely would have resulted in a goal. It's evident he's lacking confidence with his puck movement, but you have to give credit to Torts about being so vocal in regards to sticking with the kid. Hopefully, it gives DZ some confidence going forward.

It's funny, yet sad in a way... he's only 20 and he's the whipping boy right now and he's being terrible underrated currently due to his struggles. But if he has a very strong month of February then all is forgotten and MDZ is once again considered to be such a prized possession... heh gotta love it!

Camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Marc Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
Agreed.

Obviously if a team presents a good offer for him (this is the case for pretty much any player) you have to listen but he is only 20 years old. Send him down to Hartford for the rest of the season like they did with Callahan.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Dorado*

MDZ is what he is a 20 yr old straight out of Jr who had a good first half last year Offensively . The league made adjustments . His breakouts , first passes etc have become predictable . The NHL in todays era where on chartered flights coaches are watching video of the game on their lap tops prepared by video men to analyze every move have changed the game. MDZ is not exactly stinking it up in the NHl but he is no where near where a lot of people over rate him . Matt Gilroy the former whipping boy has much better stride poise with the puck and patientce . He has his warts also , lack of hitting , weak shot but seems to have more confidence right now and because of his age possibly more maturity even though only a 2nd year pro. MDZ might be a better fit with another organization and will eventually i believe blossom into a solid O D man in the league . `Will he be an all star , I personally don't think so has i feel his skating is grossly overrated . Hate to give up on a young player but i feel that even the new kinder gentler Torts might not be the one to develop or deal with a player like MDZ and conversely MDZ who seems to be a bit heady ( even though hes said the right things on TV ) and a bit of a play boy type might flourish better in a smaller market . What id NY and Atlanta swapped there struggling young d men and started fresh , Bogosian for MDZ ?

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:31 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
What the hell is going on here? Trade Del Zotto? Nah. I'll keep him.

Seriously, let's think about this. Why would we a trade a 20 year old defenseman who put up nearly 40 points as a rookie? Oh wait, we won't, especially with his value at a career low. This kid will be an absolute stud when he gets his mental game back. He has all the talent to be a truly top notch puck moving defenseman in this league. Great vision, soft hands, hard shot, great outlet pass, and he can still be physical and make smart defensive plays. Is he gonna make mistakes? Obviously. He's a 20 year old for Christ sakes, young players make mistakes (except Sauer. He's perfect ). We have to learn to take the bad with the good, because in about 3 years, the good will heavily outweigh the bad with DZ.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

When the Rangers lose a few games in a row, this board erupts with moronic trade proposals. If it was up to HFB, we wouldn't have Hank, MDZ, Gabby, Dubinsky, Girardi, Staal....

He is 20 years old, had a stellar rookie season, and does indeed have the potential to be a stud.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 08:28 AM
E Nixson