Notices

Segal waived

Old
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
No, our 4th line will be Barch-Wandell-Petersen, and it will be bad, and it will be a liability.

Did you get my PM?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
catters078

vCash: 500
Got it

<--

Like it.

Anyway it was a sensible decision, Segal was the expendable player who saved the team the most money by waiving him. A tight ass team like us who just added 1.4 mill to pay for thr emainder of the year, it was probably the right move.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Caseman

If it was Langenbrunner or Segal (financially), I'll take motherflippin' Langenbrunner.

I'm OK with this (but I hope we retain him in Austin)

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Kind of disappointed.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:00 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
If it was Langenbrunner or Segal (financially), I'll take motherflippin' Langenbrunner.

I'm OK with this (but I hope we retain him in Austin)
This is what someone looking at the decision logically looks like. Dallas was never going to carry 14 forwards + Bruno on a NHL salary in the AHL. Segal (assuming he clears waivers) and Gagnon are both free and clear to bounce between the NHL and AHL assuming they exceed the 30 day/10 game threshold that was already mentioned. Dallas' forward depth is probably as good as it's going to be this year, and if the 14th forward is what you're complaining about ….. Dallas is doing OK.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:48 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

Not really. It's what someone looking at the situation through a microscope looks like. Yes, it is the logical move if you only consider the immediate circumstances. But this isn't some random carousel where a new person is picked off the street to GM the Stars every time a move has to be made. The same guy painted himself into the corner from which he now must escape. Over the long term, it's a bad move that was utterly avoidable with some planning.

Acquiring Langenbrunner just got less appealing as well now that he won't be bumping any of the bad players out of the lineup.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
BigG44

Your joyless attitude and doomsday approach to the Stars is always a pleasant surprise.

I assume you're guaranteeing he's picked up on waivers. Otherwise, conserving money while still having the ability to call up a guy at will in case of injury is a good move. If they happen to lose a 4th liner on waivers ..... oh well. It's not going to ruin my day. Segal is a setviceable forward, but people are reacting like his is similar to waiving Crombeen. This is a fringe player who would likely be replaced by a younger forward next year rather than re-signing him.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:46 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Your joyless attitude and doomsday approach to the Stars is always a pleasant surprise.
And your newfound bit of non-stop pollyannaism is mind-numbing.
Quote:
I assume you're guaranteeing he's picked up on waivers.
No. Not at all.
Quote:
Otherwise, conserving money while still having the ability to call up a guy at will in case of injury is a good move.
Great, we're conserving money while making the team on the ice weaker. I've already outlined how I would've conserved money in the offseason and put the team in a better position at this point. You took the position at the time that it didn't matter.
Quote:
If they happen to lose a 4th liner on waivers ..... oh well. It's not going to ruin my day.
It's not going to ruin my day either, but I'm going to point out that it's a stupid thing to have happen.
Quote:
This is a fringe player who would likely be replaced by a younger forward next year rather than re-signing him.
Segal should be re-signed. His modest contract would provide a favorable negotiating starting point for the Stars, that is if they could manage to avoid falling all over themselves to give him a multiyear 1-way deal like the other 4th liners.

Old
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
vofty

Segal clears, headed to Austin

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
Segal clears, headed to Austin
Figured he would. He should be able to help out texas.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
BigG44

Apparently there are 30 dumb GM's in the league. 29 other GM's don't feel that Segal is worth the absolute minimal risk of $225K on an expiring contract. I guess if GM's want to win, they should start hiring HF scouts instead of wasting there money on pros. If he had proven he was worth more than a 4th liner, someone risks picking him up. By risk, I mean absolutely none because of his current contact. He's depth ..... and that's not a bad statement.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Apparently there are 30 dumb GM's in the league. 29 other GM's don't feel that Segal is worth the absolute minimal risk of $225K on an expiring contract. I guess if GM's want to win, they should start hiring HF scouts instead of wasting there money on pros. If he had proven he was worth more than a 4th liner, someone risks picking him up. By risk, I mean absolutely none because of his current contact. He's depth ..... and that's not a bad statement.
I like to think the main problem people have is the anger and confusion caused by Barch still being on the team.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Isn't obvious by the point that Barch isn't going anywhere, though? I mean, if he was an off-season signing then sure, I get people getting all up in arms about it.

But the coaching staff and management have made it abundantly clear that Barch is hear to stay and play in 40-60 games a year. No other player on the team team fills the goon role at the moment, so it's not like they're making a decision between goons either (because while several other players can and will fight, they really aren't the sacrificial lamb to the heavyweights of the league that Barch is).

That's the bottom line at this point. He isn't going anywhere, so to think he is going to be sent down or whatever whenever some other roster move is made is stupid. It ain't happening.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Isn't obvious by the point that Barch isn't going anywhere, though? I mean, if he was an off-season signing then sure, I get people getting all up in arms about it.

But the coaching staff and management have made it abundantly clear that Barch is hear to stay and play in 40-60 games a year. No other player on the team team fills the goon role at the moment, so it's not like they're making a decision between goons either (because while several other players can and will fight, they really aren't the sacrificial lamb to the heavyweights of the league that Barch is).

That's the bottom line at this point. He isn't going anywhere, so to think he is going to be sent down or whatever whenever some other roster move is made is stupid. It ain't happening.
Scarlett Johanson is not going to have sex with me either but that doesn't mean I have to stop wishing she would.

Goon role my ass. Once again I dont see how he fills a goon role when he at best he ties his fights. I propose a fight off of all the stars potential goons and let the winner have the roster spot. I doubt Barch wins.

Old
01-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Again, you might think he sucks at it (and I don't disagree), but it's obviously where they've got him pigeonholed.

Complaining about Barch not being in the odd-man out is like complaining about 9:30 p.m. starts in San Jose. Neither is going to change.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:43 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

Quote:
Completely missing the point again. Segal likely represents such a marginal upgrade for the rest of the teams in the league that it's not worth adding a contract to the books and making room for him. But for Dallas, which has a very bad 4th line, we know that he is better than others on the roster. I have NEVER said that he's anything more than a 4th liner. Ever. You seem determined to misconstrue what I'm saying. I'm saying Segal is a good 4th liner, who should be playing on the Dallas Stars' 4th line. Nothing more.

This team has shown they don't have a problem paying extra money to make themselves worse, which they did by sending Brunnstrom to the minors. Keeping up someone who would make the team better is apparently out of the question though.

Old
02-05-2011, 09:37 PM
User Name
Registered User Name

With 6 forwards out, why hasn't Segal been recalled?

What value does he have if he can't be used when needed?

Losing him to re-entry waivers also reduces his salary hit.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:47 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

IIRC Segal hasn't been doing to well in the AHL either and probably isn't in the organization's long term plans. I'd imagine they want to see Scevior and Walthier and see what they can do.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:57 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
With 6 forwards out, why hasn't Segal been recalled?

What value does he have if he can't be used when needed?

Losing him to re-entry waivers also reduces his salary hit.
No. If he was claimed on re-entry the Stars would be on the hook for roughly $82,500 the rest of the season. If he is left in the AHL they only have to pay him ~$39,000.

Old
02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
User Name
Registered User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
If he is left in the AHL they only have to pay him ~$39,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I'd imagine they want to see Scevior and Walthier and see what they can do.
Both good points. Thanks.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
BigG44

Quote:
No. If he was claimed on re-entry the Stars would be on the hook for roughly $82,500 the rest of the season. If he is left in the AHL they only have to pay him ~$39,000.
Nope .... Only players with a one way contract or a two-way contract over $105,000in the AHL. He doesn't require re-entry from what I can tell.

If he was the best option, they could call him up without fear of waivers.

Old
02-07-2011, 02:14 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

I disagree on both counts.

He does have an AHL deal worth over $105,000 and he was on a NHL roster for more than 40 games in 2009-10 so he should require re-entry waivers.

And he's clearly the best option hockey-wise over most of the other guys who've gotten the call.

Old
02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

I've re-read everything and now I'm even more confused. There's the whole 10 games/30 days rule that Heika cited at the time of his waiving, but I thought that was for regular waivers and not re-entry, like say if you waived someone and didn't assign them anywhere, and then that player went on to play 10 games, THEN they would require waivers again in order to be assigned...

Old
02-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Fly Like a C5

The 10 games/30 days on an NHL roster applies to waivers. Players who clear waivers and are assigned to the minors do not need to clear waivers in order to be recalled. Once recalled they do not need to clear waivers unless they hit the 10 games/30 days mark.

While players do not need to clear waivers when recalled some players are subject to re-entry waivers when being recalled. Two types of players are subject to re-entry waivers
1. players on one way contracts and who are eligible for waivers
2. players on two ways contracts who have a minor league salary in excess of 105,00
#2 does not apply to players who meet the requirements to be considered a veteran minor league player.

Segal has a minor league salary of more than $105,000, so he is subject to re-entry waivers. He does not qualify as a veteran minor players because he was on an NHL roster for more than 40 games last year.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:13 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I've re-read everything and now I'm even more confused. There's the whole 10 games/30 days rule that Heika cited at the time of his waiving, but I thought that was for regular waivers and not re-entry, like say if you waived someone and didn't assign them anywhere, and then that player went on to play 10 games, THEN they would require waivers again in order to be assigned...
EDIT

Nevermind.

Above has it correct.