HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

HNIC- Versteeg/Beauchemin

Old
02-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

vCash: 500
Versteeg's been playing well since being moved to the third line. Wonder why Burke wants to deal him....

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
last row purple

vCash: 680
Versteeg should be playing with Kessel.
Crabb should be playing with the Marlies.

Personally I wouldnt trade Kris unless he asked out.
I like Beauchemin, but there is too much money invested in the D. Unless Burke moves Kaberle, Beauch is the guy that makes the most sense to move.

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:14 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by last row purple View Post
Versteeg should be playing with Kessel.Crabb should be playing with the Marlies.

Personally I wouldnt trade Kris unless he asked out.
I like Beauchemin, but there is too much money invested in the D. Unless Burke moves Kaberle, Beauch is the guy that makes the most sense to move.
No, he shouldn't. They are a horrible fit together.

There is too much money invested in the D, but Beauchemin is one of the guys it makes least sense to move. He'll need to be replaced externally whereas Toronto has defencemen that can be replaced internally (Phaneuf, Komisarek, Schenn).

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:14 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Listen, you need to learn how to read.
listen, you need to learn how to get educated.

see i can act like a 4 year old too

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
LOL@LeBrun! Honestly, we give Eklund a hard time, but Lebrun isn't very far behind!

Why would Toronto trade Versteeg? He's one of their best forwards!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:39 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
LOL@LeBrun! Honestly, we give Eklund a hard time, but Lebrun isn't very far behind!

because leafs need a winger and center to play with kessel. and since versteeg has no chemistry with kessel he is currently wasting away on the 3rd line. Versteeg is also one of the leafs best trading chips to land LW with size or in a package for a legit #1 center.

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:50 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

He'll only be traded for a legit prospect/young player. In other words, it'll have to knock Burke's socks off.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

LeBrun is a pretty credible source and it does make sense in a way because Leafs NEED a good center or a big tough winger that can play with Kessel because Kessel is missing both of those things and it's absolutely killing the team. Bozak has been crap for most of the season and they have tried to play Army, Steeg, Crabb with Kessel but it hasn't worked and Wilson does not want to break up Kuli-Grabo-Mac line and put Kulemin with Kessel who actually would complement Kessel quite well but that line is too good to break up and you don't want 6 million tied up on 2 wingers playing on the 3rd line.

I know Sharks fans love Pavelski and all but I'd think something like Steeg + Beauchemin for Pavelski + Huskins would be fair. Steeg and Pavelski are having similar seasons but Pavelski is a better fit because he would be a much better upgrade at center for Kessel than Bozak and Beauchemin upgrades their blueline... Pavelski could be expandable due to Couture.

Wouldn't surprised if Sharks fans didn't like this proposal.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I saw a video of the guys from HockeyCentral, after the all-star game, saying that he let it be known that he wouldn't mind being traded.

I don't know if that's the only source of the rumor, but you can see from the posts below that Leaf fans are hearing rumblings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
It is RUMOURED that he wants out, but who knows for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
I think Versteeg has privately asked for a trade. Burke has said in the past, that once you ask for a trade, you are gone. So I can see Versteeg being moved...

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:00 AM
CellarDweller0

Trading Versteeg might not make sense to us because we don't know what is being offered. I hope to heck this is the case.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:06 AM
tadadonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
listen, you need to learn how to get educated.

see i can act like a 4 year old too
LOL todays friendly giggle

tadadonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Model T

Question is, are any of these offers hot hits?

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:24 AM
htpwn

Unless we are getting back a top prospect or high first, I have little interest in moving Versteeg. Beauchemin can go for whatever.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:24 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Unless we're going with a draft rebuild(which we're not...), then I don't see why he trades Versteeg. (Unless it's a package for a #1C.)

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:27 AM
jiminygillickrs

Versteeg + Beauchemin

for

Joe Canada

jiminygillickrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Trading versteeg makes little sense. He's done about what we expected of him if not a little more. I wouldn't even trade a mid to late first for him. Only way I trade him is if it's for a bigger package to get a first line forward.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:38 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
He'll only be traded for a legit prospect/young player. In other words, it'll have to knock Burke's socks off.
No he won't. He'll only be traded to get a guy that fits better than Versteeg on the top line. Burke, and the entire city, are sick of the culture of losing in Toronto. There should be zero discussions about prospects/picks unless they are related to Freddy Sjostrom or Mike Komisarek.

Old
02-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Chungo

I would try to trade Kaberle, before thinking of trading Beauchiman. Even if Kaberle decides to stay in Toronto, I think that Burke needs to assess which player he rather let go....Kaberle for cap space, or Beauchiman for prospects/picks/players...

Versteeg shouldn't go because his versatility in every role of the game, plus he is a better quaterback than Kaberle IMO

Chungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:07 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chungo View Post
I would try to trade Kaberle, before thinking of trading Beauchiman. Even if Kaberle decides to stay in Toronto, I think that Burke needs to assess which player he rather let go....Kaberle for cap space, or Beauchiman for prospects/picks/players...

Versteeg shouldn't go because his versatility in every role of the game, plus he is a better quaterback than Kaberle IMO
He needs to keep both Kaberle and Beauchemin.

Neither are replacable internally, one of Komisarek/Phaneuf/Schenn is.

Old
02-06-2011, 01:12 AM
huntison

Canucks offer Schroeder, Rome and a 1st

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Versteeg
Hansen - Malholtra - Samuelsson
Torres - Hodgson - Glass

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:13 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
He needs to keep both Kaberle and Beauchemin.

Neither are replacable internally, one of Komisarek/Phaneuf/Schenn is.
A few things...
1)Beauchemin is very replaceable. Not saying he's bad, but the Leafs have a number of 2-way defensive prospects that could step into his shoes. Maybe not play as many minutes at first, but they can still play a similar role

2) Komi has very little value, to the point of probably having negative value

3) Phaneuf was just acquired, is playing below his potential, and is our captain. You won't get what he's worth in a trade at this point, and there's no way the team is trading the guy they named captain in his first year with that title.

4) Schenn is one of the guys who very easily steps right into Beauchemin's role, and would probably perform it better- like he did last year, when playing with Phaneuf.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:15 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Torres - Hodgson - Glass
1) Can you swap Hodgson and Schroeder? You can change the other assets on your side of the deal as well, to make it more fair for you.

2) I don't actually care what the answer is, deal.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:28 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
A few things...
1)Beauchemin is very replaceable. Not saying he's bad, but the Leafs have a number of 2-way defensive prospects that could step into his shoes. Maybe not play as many minutes at first, but they can still play a similar role

2) Komi has very little value, to the point of probably having negative value

3) Phaneuf was just acquired, is playing below his potential, and is our captain. You won't get what he's worth in a trade at this point, and there's no way the team is trading the guy they named captain in his first year with that title.

4) Schenn is one of the guys who very easily steps right into Beauchemin's role, and would probably perform it better- like he did last year, when playing with Phaneuf.
1) That's the point -- Toronto needs a guy to play his minutes. What 2-way defenceman with solid passing ability is going to come in and play 20+ every night while going up against the other team's top units? Nobody, therefore he cannot be replaced internally.

2,3,4) Both Komisarek and Phaneuf are playing below their potential, that's reflected in their value to both Toronto and other teams. It's really not that difficult a concept to understand though, Toronto has 3 physical non-puckmovers, who will likely make a combined $15m next year, and none of whom can play together. The way to reduce the cap hit on the blueline is to move one of them and use that space for a forward. Either you move Komisarek/Phaneuf for an overpaid forward (or significantly cheaper defenceman), or you make use of both Komisarek/Phaneuf and move Schenn for a highly valuable forward. My gut tells me that the best move would be Komisarek, but the arguements to trade Schenn or Phaneuf are both very valid.

4 specifcally) Phaneuf and Schenn would be a horrible pair together. Neither of them having passing ability or poise with the puck. There's a reason that since coming to Toronto, Phaneuf has played more with Beauchemin, Kaberle, Gunnarsson, and even Komisarek than he has with Schenn.

I don't know where the info about Schenn playing well with Phaneuf came from, last year, Phaneuf spent most of his time with Beauchemin, and significantly more time with Kaberle and Gunarsson than Schenn. Their time on the ice together was ~4% of Phaneuf's playing time in Toronto, equivalent to about one game (and that's including getting caught out on the ice together). The reason Schenn started playing better is becuase there was no more pressure to make the playoffs, the team got a mental reset, and Schenn no longer had to deal with being labelled the "franchise defenceman and future captain" at age 20.

Old
02-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Torres - Hodgson - Glass
This is a really good offer for versteeg. But I'd still decline. All of those three have a good chance of never becoming the player versteeg is. Their 1st is also more like a 2nd.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Beauchemin+Versteeg

For

Brett Maclean
Sami Lepisto
Phoenix 1st in 2011

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote