HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

HNIC- Versteeg/Beauchemin

Old
02-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
1) That's the point -- Toronto needs a guy to play his minutes. What 2-way defenceman with solid passing ability is going to come in and play 20+ every night while going up against the other team's top units? Nobody, therefore he cannot be replaced internally.
Lol. What passing ability? Unless you're talking about the opposition.

And he is hardly a 2-way defense-men, he brings no offense whatsoever. Has a hard shot but misses about 20 feet wide every time.

Quote:
4 specifcally) Phaneuf and Schenn would be a horrible pair together. Neither of them having passing ability or poise with the puck. There's a reason that since coming to Toronto, Phaneuf has played more with Beauchemin, Kaberle, Gunnarsson, and even Komisarek than he has with Schenn.
Yeah I forgot how great Beauchemin is at passing or how he doesn't turn over the puck when he is under constant pressure... right? Schenn almost never panics under pressure, he is calm with the puck and can make a much much better first pass than Beauchemin but Schenn still needs to cut down on his giveaways.

Beauchemin is hardly a good partner for Phaneuf. The team still gives up 3+ goals per game and you hardly sit there at TV saying "wow, Phaneuf and Beauchemin shut that line down real good" because that almost never happens.

I still find it pretty stupid Phaneuf continues to play the right side.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:46 AM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
Beauchemin+Versteeg

For

Brett Maclean
Sami Lepisto
Phoenix 1st in 2011
Done

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:48 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

What is with jfried's man love for Beauchemin? Less replaceable than Schenn? By god, man.

02-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Canucks offer Schroeder, Rome and a 1st

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Versteeg
Hansen - Malholtra - Samuelsson
Torres - Hodgson - Glass
Yes please. I love Schroeder, and getting a 1st back would be nice. No idea who Rome is though.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:52 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Yes please. I love Schroeder, and getting a 1st back would be nice. No idea who Rome is though.
Solid depth defenseman. Pretty much a replacement for Lebderp.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:58 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Lol. What passing ability? Unless you're talking about the opposition.

And he is hardly a 2-way defense-men, he brings no offense whatsoever. Has a hard shot but misses about 20 feet wide every time.

Yeah I forgot how great Beauchemin is at passing or how he doesn't turn over the puck when he is under constant pressure... right? Schenn almost never panics under pressure, he is calm with the puck and can make a much much better first pass than Beauchemin but Schenn still needs to cut down on his giveaways.

Beauchemin is hardly a good partner for Phaneuf. The team still gives up 3+ goals per game and you hardly sit there at TV saying "wow, Phaneuf and Beauchemin shut that line down real good" because that almost never happens.

I still find it pretty stupid Phaneuf continues to play the right side.
Lol. The passing ability that allows him to succeed (relatively) playing alongside Dion Phaneuf, while Schenn needs Kaberle to move the puck. Beauchemin is the definition of a two-way defenceman, he's solid both in his own end and can contribute offensively with a good shot (if Toronto was set up to do that) and with the occasional well-timed pinch.

Beauchemin does turn the puck over under pressure, but so does Schenn. Infact, Schenn does it more per minute played than Beauchemin does. The reason you see Schenn rarely panic with the puck is because he is rarely under pressure -- teams attack Kaberle because they know he's very dangerous with the puck. When Phaneuf-Beauchemin are out there, teams attack Beauchemin because tehy know Phaneuf is useless with the puck.

Beauchemin is by far the best option we have for playing with Phaneuf. Obviously a guy who can move the puck a little bit better than Beauchemin would be nice, but Schenn is nowhere near that. The only other guy worth even trying would be Kaberle, in which case Beauchemin would still be valuable to play with Schenn. For a shutdown line to get noticed, the team actually has to play a shutdown game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
What is with jfried's man love for Beauchemin? Less replaceable than Schenn? By god, man.
Take a look at the Leafs lineup -- you lose Schenn and Komisarek steps up into his role without issue. Aulie steps up into Komisarek's role. You lose Beauchemin, and you turn Dion Phaneuf into a complete disaster. Long term, Schenn is obvioulsy much more difficult to replace, which would be reflected in the value we got for him if we decided to trade him.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
I really liked him at one point. But is he a tad over rated now? He's got 11 Goals in 42 games in the A so far. His numbers are no better than Hanson or Crabbs.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:04 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Lol. The passing ability that allows him to succeed (relatively) playing alongside Dion Phaneuf, while Schenn needs Kaberle to move the puck. Beauchemin is the definition of a two-way defenceman, he's solid both in his own end and can contribute offensively with a good shot (if Toronto was set up to do that) and with the occasional well-timed pinch.

Beauchemin does turn the puck over under pressure, but so does Schenn. Infact, Schenn does it more per minute played than Beauchemin does. The reason you see Schenn rarely panic with the puck is because he is rarely under pressure -- teams attack Kaberle because they know he's very dangerous with the puck. When Phaneuf-Beauchemin are out there, teams attack Beauchemin because tehy know Phaneuf is useless with the puck.

Beauchemin is by far the best option we have for playing with Phaneuf. Obviously a guy who can move the puck a little bit better than Beauchemin would be nice, but Schenn is nowhere near that. The only other guy worth even trying would be Kaberle, in which case Beauchemin would still be valuable to play with Schenn. For a shutdown line to get noticed, the team actually has to play a shutdown game.

Take a look at the Leafs lineup -- you lose Schenn and Komisarek steps up into his role without issue. Aulie steps up into Komisarek's role. You lose Beauchemin, and you turn Dion Phaneuf into a complete disaster. Long term, Schenn is obvioulsy much more difficult to replace, which would be reflected in the value we got for him if we decided to trade him.
comparing Schenn's skill level of play to Komi's is laughable Luke Schenn is our best D man BY FAR

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:15 AM
mapes

Quote:
Take a look at the Leafs lineup -- you lose Schenn and Komisarek steps up into his role without issue.
There is no facepalm big enough for this sentence. Are you really suggesting Komi is close to Schenn defensively?

There would be a big issue - defence.

Schenn should not be traded. Period. Why would we trade our 2008 first rounder not even 3 years later?

Last edited by mapes: 02-06-2011 at 06:00 AM.
mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Agent007

Quote:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Versteeg
Hansen - Malholtra - Samuelsson
Torres - Hodgson - Glass
LOL no they don't.

I don't know what's more stupid about this. The fact that a Canucks fan proposed this deal or the fact that a couple Leaf homers actually said no to it.

Are you ****ing kidding me???

You're being offered a 1st round pick and a prospect who was a 1st round pick 2 years ago for a guy who's on pace for 54 points on a crap Leafs team and yet you would actually pass on it??

Good luck getting a blue chip prospect and a 1st for your 2nd/3rd line forward

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:21 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
I really liked him at one point. But is he a tad over rated now? He's got 11 Goals in 42 games in the A so far. His numbers are no better than Hanson or Crabbs.
Hanson is 25
Jordan is 20.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:22 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Solid depth defenseman. Pretty much a replacement for Lebderp.
Is that the final decision?

I thought LeBad was gonna win out

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:24 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
Is that the final decision?

I thought LeBad was gonna win out
dubey's avatar sells it.

Old
02-06-2011, 03:24 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
LOL no they don't.

I don't know what's more stupid about this. The fact that a Canucks fan proposed this deal or the fact that a couple Leaf homers actually said no to it.

You're being offered a 1st round pick and a prospect who was a 1st round pick 2 years ago for a guy who's on pace for 54 points on a crap Leafs team and yet you would actually pass on it??

I would say the stupidest part is the Nucks fan who is imagining things that aren't happening

Old
02-06-2011, 03:30 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
LOL no they don't.

Canucks gave up close to that for Ballard. Strange things happen in the NHL.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:33 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
No they don't. Not in a million years.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Schroeder >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grabner
Rome sits in the box but he's better than Bernier and on a much better contract
First = First

Plus, Grabner wasn't a Gillis pick, Schroeder was. Grabner and Raymond are basically the same player.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
I would say the stupidest part is the Nucks fan who is imagining things that aren't happening
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
This is a really good offer for versteeg. But I'd still decline. All of those three have a good chance of never becoming the player versteeg is. Their 1st is also more like a 2nd.
And Leaf fans continue to embarass themselves...

Old
02-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
There's a difference between a top four defencemen and a 2nd/3rd line winger.

Old
02-06-2011, 03:44 AM
glucker

Quote:
And you can't count.

Old
02-06-2011, 03:47 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
It's really not that difficult to understand. I know how loved prospects and picks are on this board, but you need to have NHL caliber players once in a while.

Take a look at the Leafs forward lineup. Pretty pathetic, right? Now, take out Versteeg. How does it look? Awful. Simply awful. And, again, Versteeg is only 24. He's not in his prime yet, and can still improve. And he's already a ~55 point, two-way player. Schroeder at this point would be a big success if he turned into that. Also, the 1st will likely be in the 25-under range, and that player would be a big success if they came close to Versteeg's caliber.

Old
02-06-2011, 03:48 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
First = First

Plus, Grabner wasn't a Gillis pick, Schroeder was. Grabner and Raymond are basically the same player.
thats why i said close. i think schroeder is probably better than grabner, but grabner has put up better numbers in the past.

Its easy to discard former prospects/players as useless, but grabner is playin well this year.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm quivering in shame....

Old
02-06-2011, 03:49 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
First = First

????

Grabner is currently in the NHL and producing at a ~25 goal pace. Schroeder is scoring less at the AHL level.

Old
02-06-2011, 03:53 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

The truth is Schroeder is an over rated prospect. He was considered a possible steal at the draft, but the truth is he was taken later for a reason. he hasn't done much at the pro level yet and has failed to impress.