HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Official Teemu Pulkkinen Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Tormentor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noveep View Post
190lbs, Really? He's listed as 78kg (171lbs) on sm-liiga.fi.
185 lbs at the combine before the draft. 192 lbs was the given weight before the WJC's.

Old
01-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Shaman464
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
5 or 6 times in SM-liiga this season, and 6 times during the WJC's (including the exhibition game against Canada).

He hits every now and a then, no problem. He carries the puck well when there's an open lane in front of him, in the offensive zone he's fine as long as there's enough room to move away from defensemen, or an opening for a pass or a shot.

When he’s the 3rd man coming to a situation or when there’s not much body contact involved, he can do well. He’s a smart player. When there’s more body contact involved, he’s often in trouble.

Players are more or less suffering from injuries most of the time, you can’t fully explain players weaknesses with them. During the WJC’s Pulkkinen weighed 190lbs, that’s a lot for a 19 year old 5’10’’ tall forward. Still he had problems when there was body contact involved. When an opponent gets to his skin, he’s in trouble. Pulkkinen’s stance isn’t ideal for keeping good balance in contact situations, or for getting full strength behind a body check or a poke check. He’s usually the one who ends on his buttocks in those situations. It’s easy to separate him from the puck in a somewhat static situation, and he fairly often ends up in those situations. That’s because his skating style is limiting his movement in unpredictable situations, he’s having trouble keeping his feet moving. He’s fairly often a sitting duck, or should I say a diving dove.

I know that it takes rookies some time to adapt to playing with men, and although Pulkkinen has already trained two full summers with men and has played 50 games in SM-liiga, I know there’s still room for development. The question is; is there enough of it. Someone who knows a lot more about hockey than the two of us might be able to give a rough estimate.

In SM-liiga he’s a smallish playmaking winger without exceptional speed or an ability to break through traffic. In NHL there are fewer opportunities for lateral plays or movement, the hitting is a lot harder, and it’s important to be strong with the puck so that you can create offense and prevent quick turnovers. Not an ideal working environment for Pulkkinen, me thinks.
Well it all depends on the system, since the Wings like to have them 'overripe' and very well adjusted to the NA style before they play regularly in the NHL. I think the wings are the best fit for him because of this mentality that its better to let them do a season or two in the AHL and it will give Teemu a good chance to adapt under less pressure.

Old
01-16-2011, 04:40 PM
The Saw Is the Law

He spent summer in gym.

No one can reach Holy Slapper without lifting weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman464 View Post
I think the wings are the best fit for him
Me too. Red Wings gime time and peace to develop into NHL player

Before draft I hoped Wings draft Pulu. Everytime I saw NY Islanders picking I was praing to not pick Pulkkinen

Old
01-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
5 or 6 times in SM-liiga this season, and 6 times during the WJC's (including the exhibition game against Canada).
Really? You saw him play in that game? In that case I suggest you check your eyesight because Pulkkinen DIDN'T PLAY IN THAT GAME due to picking up angina in that extended flight trip.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Really? You saw him play in that game? In that case I suggest you check your eyesight because Pulkkinen DIDN'T PLAY IN THAT GAME due to picking up angina in that extended flight trip.
I just counted the number of Finland's games that I saw, didn't remember that he didn't play in the first one. I apologize.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Tormentor

Uploaded some goals from Pulkkinen to YT:

Old
01-23-2011, 09:23 PM
ArtemAnisimov42

what kind of potential does this kid have? what kind of numbers could he put up if he does reach the NHL?

Old
01-23-2011, 09:57 PM
flamebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemAnisimov42 View Post
what kind of potential does this kid have? what kind of numbers could he put up if he does reach the NHL?
50-60 points, 25-30 goals, about the same in assists IMO, saw him at the WJC, didn't shoot that much and often looked for the pass, but he can shoot the puck pretty well, if he gets a shot a couple years down the road after a couple seasons in the league, and if Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg are playing with him, 70 points wont be out of the question

Old
01-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
I know that it takes rookies some time to adapt to playing with men, and although Pulkkinen has already trained two full summers with men and has played 50 games in SM-liiga, I know there’s still room for development. The question is; is there enough of it. Someone who knows a lot more about hockey than the two of us might be able to give a rough estimate.
I'm glad you think this recently turned 19 year old has room for improvement. The WJCs should have shown that this kid is going to be a very good player. he has an amazing slap shot, I don't know what you've been watching from him.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebird View Post
50-60 points, 25-30 goals, about the same in assists IMO, saw him at the WJC, didn't shoot that much and often looked for the pass, but he can shoot the puck pretty well, if he gets a shot a couple years down the road after a couple seasons in the league, and if Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg are playing with him, 70 points wont be out of the question
If he develops physically and works on ironing out the weaknesses in his game, he's capable of more than 70 points. He didn't shoot that much at the WJC because Erik Haula wasn't quite the playmaker that Mikael Granlund is and because his role in his line (Lahti-Kerälä-Pulkkinen, Lahti the leading goal scorer for Jokerit, Kerälä a rookie center) with Jokerit in SM-liiga has become the playmaker more than the scorer. He's shooting a bit less now than in the first months of the season, looks for the pass more than a shot these days, even too much.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
I'm glad you think this recently turned 19 year old has room for improvement. The WJCs should have shown that this kid is going to be a very good player. he has an amazing slap shot, I don't know what you've been watching from him.
He has a man crush on Joel Armia, it's affecting his thinking some times.

Old
01-23-2011, 10:22 PM
WingedWheel

When do you guys actually see Pulkkinen making the Red Wings team. I would love to have him come into camp next year, and make the team. But with the new nhl, you really have to be good at every aspect of the game.

Realistically I think that he can make an impact on this team in the year after next.

What does everyone else think?

Old
01-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel View Post
When do you guys actually see Pulkkinen making the Red Wings team. I would love to have him come into camp next year, and make the team. But with the new nhl, you really have to be good at every aspect of the game.

Realistically I think that he can make an impact on this team in the year after next.

He's nowhere near being ready as a player. Maybe in 3-4 years he should be good for NHL. Luckily he was drafted by an organization with a lot of patience. He is good with the puck, but everything else need a ton of improvement.

Old
01-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
I'm glad you think this recently turned 19 year old has room for improvement.
You're taking that comment out of its contents. I was commenting his physical game and adaptation to playing with men. He already weighs 190 lbs and has been with a pro team for quite some time now.

Quote:
The WJCs should have shown that this kid is going to be a very good player.
He's already a very good player, it was obvious even before the WJC's.

Quote:
he has an amazing slap shot
I just made a YouTube video showing 8 of his slap shot goals, so I know what happens when his slapper is on target.

Quote:
I don't know what you've been watching from him.
That's understandable, since there's no way you could know that.

Old
01-24-2011, 03:40 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel View Post

i'm thinking maybe one more year in Finland after this year and then a year in the AHL,but that's pretty optimistic and it will probably be even longer

no way he makes the team next year with all the players the Wings have and both Mursak and Emmerton having to play or be traded/exposed to waivers

Old
01-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
i'm thinking maybe one more year in Finland after this year and then a year in the AHL,but that's pretty optimistic and it will probably be even longer

no way he makes the team next year with all the players the Wings have and both Mursak and Emmerton having to play or be traded/exposed to waivers
Wings don't have to sign him until next year and they have the option of allowing him to play his first year(or two) in Finland before his contract actually kicks in. If the CBA negotiations in 2012 take too long and there's a work stoppage, the latter might be a very likely scenario. It will benefit the Wings and Pulkkinen to take their time and allow certain players(Bertuzzi) to leave the Wings before bringing in Pulkkinen.

Old
01-24-2011, 09:22 AM
ArtemAnisimov42

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebird View Post
ahhhhh detroit really knows how to use their late round picks. i wish the rangers could do the same...

Old
01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
GadKing

Holy schnitzels, nice upload Tormentor

Old
02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Shaman464
#FireHolland

2 goals today. Too bad they lost.

Old
02-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Anchor Town

What are his season stats now?

Old
02-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
What are his season stats now?
44. 15 + 26 = 41 12 pim.

Old
02-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Absolutely ridiculous.

Old
02-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Muuri

It's weird how he didn't get a call for the national team.

Old
02-06-2011, 04:48 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
its because jukka jalonen like grinders like hahl, laine, petrell...

Old
02-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
yeah but when you think about the fact that he didn't take elitserien's leading goal scorer and point scorer it isn't so weird

Closed Thread