HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Arnott to Pitt?

Old
02-06-2011, 09:05 AM
JimEIV

vCash: 500
Arnott to Pitt?

With Malkin out for the rest of the season does Arnott to Pitt make any sense at all?

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Crosby, Staal, Letestu, Talbot.

I don't think it will happen, but it's plausible. I see Pittsburgh going after a rental winger, such as Kovalev or Cole, instead.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
goon5516

Don't think Lou trades arnott in the division unless pitt blows them away with a nice offer!

goon5516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:09 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon5516 View Post
Don't think Lou trades arnott in the division unless pitt blows them away with a nice offer!
I don't think "In the Division" makes much of a difference for UFA rental and the Devil not making the playoffs.

I was really wondering more about the "fit" than anything else.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:10 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Crosby, Staal, Letestu, Talbot.

I don't think it will happen, but it's plausible. I see Pittsburgh going after a rental winger, such as Kovalev or Cole, instead.
Makes sense.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'd be a little surprised if the picked up a guy that was just a center. I'd imagine they'd look more for a winger or a guy that can do a little of both. Crosby, Staal, Letestu and Talbot are good centers. Dustin Jeffrey has also played well for them at center since his call-up. It's just a really deep position in the Pens organization.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Shaun_W_W

Arnott wouldn't be able to do much with Pittsburghs wingers, with the emergence of Letestu it would make the most sense to go for a winger or two

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Andy

How about with Malkin out, Pittsburgh actually makes two moves for the wingers they've needed for the last 4 years.

Staal is a good enough center for the second line, actually he's very good for it. Get Crosby and Staal some wingers to balance out the scoring. A legitmate top threat with Crosby and 2nd tier winger for Staal and Pittsburgh can easily shoulder the burden of Malkin being out.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
How about with Malkin out, Pittsburgh actually makes two moves for the wingers they've needed for the last 4 years.

Staal is a good enough center for the second line, actually he's very good for it. Get Crosby and Staal some wingers to balance out the scoring. A legitmate top threat with Crosby and 2nd tier winger for Staal and Pittsburgh can easily shoulder the burden of Malkin being out.
I think they'll try to do this, but it's easier said than done. I see them making a move for a solid 50-60 point winger that will cost a decent asset or two and then taking a flier on another winger that's having a so-so year. I could see them going to the Florida Panthers for the so-so winger. Maybe a guy like Higgins or Stillman or if they're really desperate and have enough cap space left they could call Ottawa about Kovy.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:29 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

The Pens going after another centre makes zero sense. Let's say they get a C that's better than Staal. That player will still be less talented than Evgeni Malkin. So now you have a player less talented than Malkin but still playing with Malkin's wingers.

Pens management is smarter than me, but in my mind, Jordan Staal has to be the #2C for the rest of the year, and if any moves are made, it should be to upgrade the top 2 lines. They (the Pens) will have a great bottom-6 regardless of who you put on the top-2 lines.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I think they'll try to do this, but it's easier said than done. I see them making a move for a solid 50-60 point winger that will cost a decent asset or two and then taking a flier on another winger that's having a so-so year. I could see them going to the Florida Panthers for the so-so winger. Maybe a guy like Higgins or Stillman or if they're really desperate and have enough cap space left they could call Ottawa about Kovy.
Wow. That'll be a tough task...I can't imagine a lot of solid 50-60 point wingers will be available at the deadline.

Do you have someone in mind?

Old
02-06-2011, 09:33 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I don't think "In the Division" makes much of a difference for UFA rental and the Devil not making the playoffs.
This.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Wow. That'll be a tough task...I can't imagine a lot of solid 50-60 point wingers will be available at the deadline.

Do you have someone in mind?
Yeah, I admit, that part could be tough to pull off. I'd ask about guys like Penner, Hemsky, Booth etc. It can't hurt to ask and see if something could be worked out. The asking price for all those guys may be too expensive for the Pens, though. I still think Shero will come up with something. Perhaps a winger we haven't even thought of in these discussions.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I think pens should be bite the bullet and move the assets to get the players they need even if it will cost a pretty penny. They have the defensive core and the system to win a cup this year. Getting the wingers they finally need would push them over the edge.

I know you guys are high on Tangradi, but moving him for Penner and Hemsky could be a solid move and a great benefit for Crosby. I know it's tough moving the young cheap talent, but as BobbyMac mentioned if Penner or Hemsky goes it's for a young player who will fit with the rest of the youth movement.

I'm not sure how highly you guys value Tangradi, I guess his value jumps considerably because he's cheap and can be a scoring threat soon, but if you guys feel like the cup is in reach, I think it is, then the move would be worth it IMO.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Lunatik*

I think Arnott to the Pens makes perfect sense... maybe not if it was just Malkin that was out... but lets be honest Crosby is an issue too because with concussions you just never know how long they will be out... then since Arnott makes what 4.2 million less the Pens could make a run at a couple wingers... if the Wild fall out of contention perhaps they could acquire Andrew Brunette

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I think pens should be bite the bullet and move the assets to get the players they need even if it will cost a pretty penny. They have the defensive core and the system to win a cup this year. Getting the wingers they finally need would push them over the edge.

I know you guys are high on Tangradi, but moving him for Penner and Hemsky could be a solid move and a great benefit for Crosby. I know it's tough moving the young cheap talent, but as BobbyMac mentioned if Penner or Hemsky goes it's for a young player who will fit with the rest of the youth movement.

I'm not sure how highly you guys value Tangradi, I guess his value jumps considerably because he's cheap and can be a scoring threat soon, but if you guys feel like the cup is in reach, I think it is, then the move would be worth it IMO.
Yeah, I agree. I don't think we can get both Hemsky and Penner. I think we'd have to sell the whole farm to get both of those guys out of Edmonton. Tangradi could be a part of a deal for one of them, but I think we'd have to take a flier on someone less expensive when we look for a 2nd winger.

Old
02-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Puckgenius*

Cory Stillman.

He would be cheap to get and he has 2 cup rings already. Hes a big time playoff performer. Would fit in well on Crosbys wing.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

You want Rolston??

He's been on a tear the last ten game. He's shown he can be productive when paired with a good center.

Rolston to Pitt for 6th round pick.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
You want Rolston??

He's been on a tear the last ten game. He's shown he can be productive when paired with a good center.

Rolston to Pitt for 6th round pick.
No thanks, we wouldn't want to steal a player from you that's been so, so hot recently...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:23 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
No thanks, we wouldn't want to steal a player from you that's been so, so hot recently...
Last 11 games. 5 goals 8 assists 13 points.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Last 11 games. 5 goals 8 assists 13 points.
Oh I know, my comment was tongue-in-cheek...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

NJ is winger heavy, but unfortunately they're all oh so loveable. Rolston would be the only one I'd want to move and we'd only get a 6-7th rounder for him. Pitts prob dont want to deal with his cap hit either

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
The Pens going after another centre makes zero sense. Let's say they get a C that's better than Staal. That player will still be less talented than Evgeni Malkin. So now you have a player less talented than Malkin but still playing with Malkin's wingers.

Pens management is smarter than me, but in my mind, Jordan Staal has to be the #2C for the rest of the year, and if any moves are made, it should be to upgrade the top 2 lines. They (the Pens) will have a great bottom-6 regardless of who you put on the top-2 lines.
I agree. I wouldn't go after Arnott if I where the Pens. I understand maybe getting some depth, but we don't need someone like Arnott who is older and slower and probably won't fit the Pens system. I wouldn't give up much at all for him aside from a late pick and a lower tier prospect. Funny thing is, during the intermission of the Pens/Caps game on NBC, Pierre McGuire suggested that the Pens should look for an impact 2nd line center. I am on the side of using the cap space to look for rentals on the wing. Or even a guy on a 2 year contract that is on the cheaper side (Less than 2.5million I would say) makes sense IMO.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote