HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#53: Stars @ Flyers - Saturday, Feb. 5, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
02-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Just got back from the game and to say the least Mez was a beast tonight. He by far was the best player on the ice for either team. Boosh also made some key saves when he had to. Our best line tonight was Bett's line. G, Carter,Leino and Nodl also had a strong game. Our d on the whole played fairly solid. JVR was getting beat to the puck a lot and was a non factor until the 3rd period when he seemed to play with some more determination which was good to see. It was not a particularly exciting game but we came out with the two points

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
TheKingPin

Good win. Hopefully we dont suck again after another long break here.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:03 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Just got back from the game and to say the least Mez was a beast tonight. He by far was the best player on the ice for either team. Boosh also made some key saves when he had to. Our best line tonight was Bett's line. G, Carter,Leino and Nodl also had a strong game. Our d on the whole played fairly solid. JVR was getting beat to the puck a lot and was a non factor until the 3rd period when he seemed to play with some more determination which was good to see. It was not a particularly exciting game but we came out with the two points
Mez and OD looked good tonight.

Even if it was not exciting, this was the kind of game that preps us for the playoffs.

Good to see Powe get a beauty of a goal.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Home from the game - good win! Mez and Boosh certainly earned their stars...great game for both.

Also, was Carter good at baseball too? That's the second puck knocked out of the air he was able to make something with.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 691
And the power play was worse in 1979-80 than the current PECO.

From CSN:

Quote:
Flyers 35 wins are the most they have ever had at this point except for two seasons – 36 wins after 53 games in both 1979-80 and 1985-86 ...

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:01 AM
chaosof99*

Great win and always good to pick up two points. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game since I was working. Did watch the highlights though. Congrats to Powe for the shorty, and G for getting to the 50 points plateau. And now I'll go to bed

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I figured this would be a tough game and I was right. Dallas made em earn it after they got smacked around in Boston the other night. Good win against a good hockey club.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:12 AM
drownedsailors

- Not our best effort; but I'll take the two points

- Mez had a great game, but I mean Giroux has been our most consistent player this season so far.

- I'm really starting to hate our Peco; not only did it NOT generate tonight but it was also killing our flow at times. With that being said I'm not overly concerned that it will be a problem, this team is pretty clutch; I've seen them score PP goals when they really needed to (first against Pittsburgh, the game that we ended their winning streak, and the second against L.A when the teams compete level was questioned and they were desperate for a win after the loss against Vancouver). This team shows up for big games; so I'm really not too worried about our Peco come playoff time.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 08:10 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

I just don't get how a team can look so damn good in so many aspects of the game, and just look like absolute shyte 5v4. There have been so many times this season where they look so good 6v5 during a delayed call... then the call gets made, they get a PP, and they look like they don't know what they're doing.

But meh. They won. I shouldn't nit pick. It just boggles my mind.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 08:23 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I just don't get how a team can look so damn good in so many aspects of the game, and just look like absolute shyte 5v4. There have been so many times this season where they look so good 6v5 during a delayed call... then the call gets made, they get a PP, and they look like they don't know what they're doing.

But meh. They won. I shouldn't nit pick. It just boggles my mind.
It it a headscratcher. I love that they're much stronger at even strength and not living and dying by special teams the way they have the past few years. They should try just sending out the regular lines instead of the two PP units - it couldn't hurt.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 08:33 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It it a headscratcher. I love that they're much stronger at even strength and not living and dying by special teams the way they have the past few years. They should try just sending out the regular lines instead of the two PP units - it couldn't hurt.
It has gotten better over the last weeks, but here's a fun fact: Briere's tied for 2nd in ESG (with Crosby, behind Stamkos), Carter is 4th.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 08:53 AM
jb**

Richards with another sub par game. He has been brutal since the break.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Richards with another sub par game. He has been brutal since the break.
He's stuck with Andreas Nodl and a young JVR. What do you expect?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:41 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I want to say that the Flyers really rely on their breakout style, which is why they suck on the PP, but there has been many great cycles 5 on 5, which they cannot do 5 on 4.

I am kinda hoping they they don't get a shutout, so that they are always mentally prepared for a "draining goal". Plus at this point it is just funny.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Mike Richards had a great game. He was -1, but was matched up against Brad Richards and they seldom had a sniff all night long.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:55 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Mike Richards had a great game. He was -1, but was matched up against Brad Richards and they seldom had a sniff all night long.
guess we have a differing opinion of what great means. he was far from great. He was how many steps behind morrow when they scored? He has been invisible, brutal was probably a bit harsh. Greta hardly. He was getting knocked off the puck easily imo.

Old
02-06-2011, 10:13 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
guess we have a differing opinion of what great means. he was far from great. He was how many steps behind morrow when they scored? He has been invisible, brutal was probably a bit harsh. Greta hardly. He was getting knocked off the puck easily imo.
Again, you prove that you don't know what you are talking about. Richards was hardly invisible.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Again, you prove that you don't know what you are talking about. Richards was hardly invisible.
yes he was and has been since the break, you feel different thats your opinion. Yeah i really wish i was as smart as you and knew what i was talking about.

Old
02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
LePalle

I cant say I thought Richards played that well...I wouldnt say he was horrible, he wasnt a liability, but a player like Richards is expected to be a difference maker and he was a far cry from that. But if he looks like that on a bad day Ill take it.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Haven't seen the rest of the GDT but can anyone tell me if Boosh was wearing taller pads last night? Didn't get a HD feed, amazing how fickle the eyes get.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:57 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
yes he was and has been since the break, you feel different thats your opinion. Yeah i really wish i was as smart as you and knew what i was talking about.
Theres been 3 games since the break- He didn't have a good game against Tampa (no one did), played excellent against Nashville, and played a good game especially defensively last night.

Richards does the small things night in and night out and that's whats expected of him. He doesn't need to be an offensive leader every night

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:22 AM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Theres been 3 games since the break- He didn't have a good game against Tampa (no one did), played excellent against Nashville, and played a good game especially defensively last night.

Richards does the small things night in and night out and that's whats expected of him. He doesn't need to be an offensive leader every night
After Morrow scored that goal; Ribeiro kept trying to do that same cross ice (sometimes cross crease) pass to all his team mates. I counted 3 times when Richie was the only Flyer on the ice that read it beautifully and got a stick on it.

I agree he played great and I was more than happy with his performance.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 02-06-2011 at 03:15 PM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:59 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
After Morrow scored that goal; Ribeiro kept trying to do the same cross ice (sometimes cross crease) passes to all his team mates. I counted 3 times when Richie was the only Flyer on the ice that read it beautifully and got a stick on it.

I agree he played great and I was more than happy by his performance.
I don't know how anyone can say he was great when he was largely responsible for the only goal the Stars scored. The entire sequence of the icing and goal against really shifted momentum and almost turned the game completely around. I won't say he was really bad, because it was just one shift, but it was an important part in the game.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I don't know how anyone can say he was great when he was largely responsible for the only goal the Stars scored. The entire sequence of the icing and goal against really shifted momentum and almost turned the game completely around. I won't say he was really bad, because it was just one shift, but it was an important part in the game.
You're going to get beat and scored on some in an 82 game schedule.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:06 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're going to get beat and scored on some in an 82 game schedule.
Yeah. I think it was the combination of that and the lazy icing that preceded it, a mental lapse. It doesn't mean he stinks but it does mean that he wasnt great last night.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote