Notices

Former Flames GM Lived on Edge

Old
02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Former Flames GM Lived on Edge

Interesting article on Darryl Sutter's tenure, with some telling comments from Rhett Warrener...

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/myf.../17094051.html

Quote:
“I think a lot of people took their cue from Darryl. ‘If he acts that way after a win, I better act that way after a win,’” ex-Flames defenceman Rhett Warrener said this week when offered a chance to discuss his former boss. “Instead of just being yourself and enjoying it — who cared if Darryl enjoyed it? You can still enjoy it.”

Quote:
“When he left the room, all the new guys that came in that didn’t have him as a coach maybe saw it as, ‘My God, what have I done signing in Calgary? This guy wants to kill me.’ And sometimes, it comes across that way,” said Warrener, who played for Sutter from 2003-2008 and knew it was just Darryl being Darryl. He also knew how intimidating it was to some.”

Quote:
His cantankerous nature did trickle into the locker-room, and the players found it difficult to have fun.

“Every loss was like death,” said one insider.

Wins weren’t always easy to enjoy, either.

“He didn’t condone other people enjoying it,” Warrener said. “I know that I was goofing around and having a hell of a time, and he would snarl at me.”

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I didn't think Sutter had that much of an effect on the team.

Wow.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Lunatik*

so losing Warrener and McLennan is what caused the decline of this team

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Xelstyle

Sutter made me imagine him being more of a stone than a tiger.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Grannys

watching Dan Bylsma on 24/7 was amazing, the guy really seems to inspire with his personality and demeanor, the guy is really positive and happy which I think is key as a leader in any profession. Granted there are some major differences in various professions and you cant always be positive, especially when you are losing. But looking at Darryl and Brent just makes me feel miserable, I personally would have a hard time producing for someone who always looks like the world is crapping on them. Maybe thats me but I definitely feel what this article is getting at.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:08 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
But looking at Darryl and Brent just makes me feel miserable, I personally would have a hard time producing for someone who always looks like the world is crapping on them.

They have the same last name, but to me that's where the similarities end. I don't put Brent in the same category as Darryl as far as that whole sourpuss attitude. Brent has constantly spoken on the importance of this team having fun, and last night during the SO it looked to me like he means it. When you read this article and how Warrener is describing Darryl, they both seem like day and night to me.

Dan Bylsma impressed me too in that documentary, and strikes me as a great coach. But it's also easy to be positive when your team is rollin'.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
They have the same last name, but to me that's where the similarities end. I don't put Brent in the same category as Darryl as far as that whole sourpuss attitude. Brent has constantly spoken on the importance of this team having fun, and last night during the SO it looked to me like he means it. When you read this article and how Warrener is describing Darryl, they both seem like day and night to me.

Dan Bylsma impressed me too in that documentary, and strikes me as a great coach. But it's also easy to be positive when your team is rollin'.
He even smiles and jokes during media interviews. That alone places him 100 ice-rinks away from the public persona of Darryl.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote