HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

At what point is this teams future decided?

Old
01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
At what point is this teams future decided?

These next few weeks are critical for this team. We have the choice between selling by the deadline, or standing pat. At what point do you declare either standing pat, or that we should become sellers? I thought this was somewhat different from the thread we already have going, because I want this thread to be a deadline of sorts on the future of this team.

The trade deadline is on Feb. 28th. We quite literally have one months worth of games to decide our future.

We play the following teams this month:

Feb. 1st - Predators
Feb. 3rd -Thrashers
Feb. 5th - Kings
Feb. 7th - Hawks
Feb. 9th - Sens
Feb. 11th -Ducks
Feb. 12th - Nucks
Feb. 14th - Avs
Feb. 16th - Stars
Feb. 20th - Habs
Feb. 22nd - Bruins
Feb. 25th - Sharks
Feb. 27th - Blues

No repeat matches.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Well we don't really have to be big sellers at the deadline since we don't have a lot of UFA's at seasons end. Players can still be traded in the off season. With the ones that are UFA's, Glencross, Morrison, Staios, Pardy I would have no problem trading them even if we are in a position to make playoffs.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Pacem

vCash: 500
If we have earned 16 - 18 points by the end of the San Jose game on the 25th I think we should stand pat. Anything under 16 points at that time I think we'd have to seriously consider moving the mediocre UFA's we have. Under 14 points in that span then we must make trades.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Lunatik*

you don't make the decision until the deadline... so the after the game the 27th is when it matters... but then again I don't think they will do more a couple moves to dump a couple expiring contracts... Glencross and Staios are my choices to be moved

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:48 AM
tfong

Imo it was decided when Sutter resigned.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:49 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Not to mention, you get the best deals at the deadline. If you try and get your rebuilding trades out of the way before the deadline you don't get the same massive overpayments that go on 48 hours before.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford and Sons View Post
Not to mention, you get the best deals at the deadline. If you try and get your rebuilding trades out of the way before the deadline you don't get the same massive overpayments that go on 48 hours before.
for pending UFAs anyways... you get just as good of deals at the draft for guys with years left, such as Philly's overpayment for Pronger, or Montreal's for Tanguay

Old
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Looks like Feaster will be active regardless of how the Flames do.

Quote:
The Calgary Flames' outlook for the deadline will depend entirely on how they perform between now and then. If they continue their surge and are playoff bound or still contending; only spare parts Steve Staios or Anton Babchuk will be shopped.

But if it looks like they're falling out of the picture, interim GM Jay Feaster may re-stock a bare draft pick cupboard by moving rentals Alex Tanguay, Brendan Morrison and Curtis Glencross.

Feaster has been adamant on not moving core players Jarome Iginla, Miikka Kiprusoff, Jay Bouwmeester, Mark Giordano and Robyn Regehr, but if the Flames fall out of the race, we won't be surprised if they consider dealing Regehr as there is interest in him, even with another two years at $4 million per year on his contract.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Sell regardless of how the Flames are doing. They're not going to win the Cup, so get the most out of it. I just want to see some playoff hockey.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Lunatik*

if anything it looks like McKenzie hasn't watched the Flames this year... calling Babchuk a spare part when he is our highest scoring defenseman since being acquired just proves this... I don't think i've ever seen McKenzie be so wrong about a guy before... and his list is nothing more than a group of pending UFAs, no unique ideas there

Old
02-02-2011, 07:41 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
if anything it looks like McKenzie hasn't watched the Flames this year... calling Babchuk a spare part when he is our highest scoring defenseman since being acquired just proves this... I don't think i've ever seen McKenzie be so wrong about a guy before... and his list is nothing more than a group of pending UFAs, no unique ideas there

Have to agree with that. Normally, I like McKenzie and his takes on the game. Seems like this year he's been saying some really silly things about Calgary. Leads me to believe he's just following them in a fantasy pool or something. Babchuk has really contributed to the success the team is recently enjoying. Totally value for money that guy..

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Sell regardless of how the Flames are doing. They're not going to win the Cup, so get the most out of it. I just want to see some playoff hockey.
Umm, so why sell? This team is clearly one or two good forwards away from contending, BELIEVE!

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
Umm, so why sell? This team is clearly one or two good forwards away from contending, BELIEVE!
hell with how they are playing now they are a Bourque and Hagman hot streak away from looking like contenders

Old
02-04-2011, 08:17 AM
GoFlames

What a change a 6 game win streak makes! Great play lately and as they are now tied for the bottom playoff spot in points anything is possible. I hope the crow continues to taste so good

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
What a change a 6 game win streak makes! Great play lately and as they are now tied for the bottom playoff spot in points anything is possible. I hope the crow continues to taste so good
1 point back actually and essentially 11th place due to games in hand and tie breakers

Old
02-06-2011, 12:55 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
1 point back actually and essentially 11th place due to games in hand and tie breakers
Great change... before it was a back and forth gutter race between the Flames and OIlers for 15th place. Now they are in 11th sure but within a point of the playoffs. Keep the point streak going and they can be on the good side of the line.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote