Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

theScore Blog: 'Mikka Kipprusoff: Only a Franchise Player in Your Head

Old
02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
MrHelyar

vCash: 500
theScore Blog: 'Mikka Kipprusoff: Only a Franchise Player in Your Head

Just was searching around on twitter and found a link to this horrible blog. The poster is named Jonathan Willis and he's an Oiler fan... Go figure.

Here's the link http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/0...-in-your-head/

Just wonder what your guys thoughts on this.

MrHelyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHelyar View Post
Just was searching around on twitter and found a link to this horrible blog. The poster is named Jonathan Willis and he's an Oiler fan... Go figure.

Here's the link http://*******/eyilsU

Just wonder what your guys thoughts on this.
1: Your link is censored
2: Who are you? The blog writer? (Never seen you around here before for all I know.)
3: Miikka Kiprusoff is spelled wrong in your thread title.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:44 AM
MrHelyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
1: Your link is censored
2: Who are you? The blog writer? (Never seen you around here before for all I know.)
3: Miikka Kiprusoff is spelled wrong in your thread title.
Yeah my bad, was on my phone when creating the thread, and I'm fairly new to the forum, been on for about 2 weeks.

Oh and the link is fixed

MrHelyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:50 AM
saillias

Kiprusoff is a franchise player for the Flames so the point is kind of moot. If the writer used a different term like superstar or elite goalie, we could be having a discussion.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Lunatik*

Iginla is the franchise player, not Kiprusoff... so its all the in the writers head

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Dallas Flames Fan

Can you have more than one franchise player on a team?

What is the definition of a franchise player?

If the definition is a franchise player is someone the team NEED to win then Kipper is definite a franchise player. Without him playing at his best, this team is going no where. Nobody on the Flames is more valuable.

Has Kipper always been at his best this year? That's a different discussion

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:27 AM
Xelstyle

Well we can all agree that Kipper is basically one of the franchise players for this team however you want to put a spin on it.
I agree with saillias though. Seems like the writer is getting his mind confused between elite 'tender and franchise player.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Well we can all agree that Kipper is basically one of the franchise players for this team however you want to put a spin on it.
I agree with saillias though. Seems like the writer is getting his mind confused between elite 'tender and franchise player.
IMO you can only have 1 franchise player... and I don't think every team has one either

Old
02-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
IMO you can only have 1 franchise player... and I don't think every team has one either
Then who is the Canuck's franchise player? Henrik, Daniel, or Luongo?
Dallas' franchise player? Benn or Neal?
What about Tampa Bay? Lecavalier? St. Louis? Stamkos?
Montreal's player might be Subban or Price?
Carolina chooses between what, Staal and Ward?
Phaneuf or Kessel or Grabovski for Toronto?

Don't think there's just 1 franchise player on each team. Makes more sense that multiple franchise players can exist on one team. That being said, I can at least agree that not every team has one... can't think of one for the Wild, for instance, maybe Havlat?... but lots of franchises definitely have multiple franchise players.

In our case, it's Kiprusoff and Iginla, with other core players in third place tie... and Kiprusoff is undoubtedly a franchise player as much as Iginla, because of his importance of his position to our team, and how well he plays it. Iginla could argue he has priority on that title due to his career-long dedication to us, but nonetheless, still debatable.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Then who is the Canuck's franchise player? Henrik, Daniel, or Luongo? - The Sedins are pretty much one entity, its them... they are the only I would consider having 2 franchise players, and part of that is because they are Twins
Dallas' franchise player? Benn or Neal? - Right now neither... Richards is the closest they have... maybe Eriksson
What about Tampa Bay? Lecavalier? St. Louis? Stamkos? - Stamkos and its not even close
Montreal's player might be Subban or Price? - Neither yet
Carolina chooses between what, Staal and Ward? - Staal and there shouldn't be a debate
Phaneuf or Kessel or Grabovski for Toronto? - easily Kessel
Quote:
Don't think there's just 1 franchise player on each team. Makes more sense that multiple franchise players can exist on one team. That being said, I can at least agree that not every team has one... can't think of one for the Wild, for instance, maybe Havlat?... but lots of franchises definitely have multiple franchise players.
That Koivu guy is pretty good

Quote:
In our case, it's Kiprusoff and Iginla, with other core players in third place tie... and Kiprusoff is undoubtedly a franchise player as much as Iginla, because of his importance of his position to our team, and how well he plays it. Iginla could argue he has priority on that title due to his career-long dedication to us, but nonetheless, still debatable.
clearly we have different meaning of Franchise Player... to me the franchise player is not only one of your best players but the guy you market the most... and Vancouver is the only place where the top 2 guys are in everything together

Old
02-04-2011, 08:20 AM
GoFlames

The terms core and franchise players seems to get blurred. Iginla is the franchise player, Kipper, Regehr etc are core players

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Wags

A general rule for defining a Franchise player is a player that you could build an entire team around.

I think there are some teams that have 2 of these types of players, for example Crosby/Malkin (yeah I know Malkin is having an off year). I would venture to say that Datsyuk/Zetterberg could be included in the conversation. I would also say that both Kipper and Iggy could each qualify at different points in their career.

The NFL has tried to revise the definition to say there is only one per team (for contract reasons of course), but clearly there is potential to have more than one of that class of player on a team.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
A general rule for defining a Franchise player is a player that you could build an entire team around.

I think there are some teams that have 2 of these types of players, for example Crosby/Malkin (yeah I know Malkin is having an off year). I would venture to say that Datsyuk/Zetterberg could be included in the conversation. I would also say that both Kipper and Iggy could each qualify at different points in their career.

The NFL has tried to revise the definition to say there is only one per team (for contract reasons of course), but clearly there is potential to have more than one of that class of player on a team.
I would not call Malkin a franchise player... he seems soft and floats a lot. Crosby is pure guts and glory... takes the team (be it Penguins or Olympic team) on his shoulders and gets it done.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote