HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Opening Night

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Laches

vCash: 500
Opening Night

Psyched as usual for another hockey season, but with the death of Snyder and the pending lockout, it has kind of a dark feel to it.

Are people planning on catching any of the games tonight, or will the baseball games take precedence?

I really didn't catch much preseason stuff, but I'll try to catch some of the Minnesota-Chicago game and give a report before Friday's game.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
Psyched as usual for another hockey season, but with the death of Snyder and the pending lockout, it has kind of a dark feel to it.

Are people planning on catching any of the games tonight, or will the baseball games take precedence?

I really didn't catch much preseason stuff, but I'll try to catch some of the Minnesota-Chicago game and give a report before Friday's game.
Snyder, Brooks, Neilson, Lyashenko and I think there was another.. Along with the "impending doom" of the game itself, yeah it does have a dark feel to the kickoff this year..

But since it's hockey, and the game seems to have a way of turning things around, I'll bet this will go down as one of the most exciting seasons ever..

I'll still be watching baseball tonight!

Old
10-08-2003, 11:03 AM
True Blue

Gotta catch some NHL action, but 'Yanks-'Sox take the cake.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow...

Heck, it's hockey and lockout or not I'm ready for the season. However, chances are I won't be able to catch the games this evening since I have a test tomorrow and really need to study for it. Nothing like memorizing the tax consequences of fringe benefits to get the mind moving.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Baseball? I couldn't care less about baseball. I've got 3 games on Center Ice, a fridge full of beers and a serious jonesing for some damn hockey! Bring it on!

Old
10-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
I couldn't agree more Melrose. Baseball? It's HOCKEY season Heck I'm in Minnesota on vacation so I'll be watching the Wild broadcast.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Barnaby

The Rangers aren't even playing and its only game number 1. You'd better believe I'll be watching the Yanks beat the Sox. Thats the best rivalry in all sports without a doubt. Rangers-Isles is great but Yanks-Sox is legendary. Of course there are always commercial breaks for some hockey action.

MOOOOOOOSSSSSEEEEE

Old
10-08-2003, 03:47 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
I think opening night helps us move past these tragic events that happened during the off season.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:47 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Some thoughts on opening night

laches you're not the only one feeling that I have a feeling the whole nhl is sorta fogged over a little bit....

McCarthy- Oh man it's sooooo goood to see him in a Bruins jersey.....well I guess just NOT in a Rangers jersey.

Jillson> Wow this kid is a beast. I know it may only be one game but this kid has a missle of a shot and plays solid defense.....I remember you guys talking about him, but I hadn't seen him play much.

Giguere- Again I know it's only one game but does anyone remember Jim Carey?

CenterIce> I forgot just how darn annoying those stupid "Rooming with Roenick" commercials are. And the show them 10-15 times a game

but it's just nice to have hockey on the tv again!

Old
10-09-2003, 04:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Jillson was pretty impressive, as was Samsonov.

Dallas looked great. Giguere will shake the rust off, but the first Barnes goal was pretty weak.

Tuomo Ruutu was everywhere for Chicago!

At very least, couldn't they have shot some new "Rooming with Roenick" commercials?

Old
10-09-2003, 04:46 AM
ihatenewjersey

i got the center ice package, i love it, i can't wait, games every night. and dallas's camera view stinks, u see the crowd and stuff, i don't like it

Old
10-09-2003, 05:32 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Thats the best rivalry in all sports without a doubt. Rangers-Isles is great but Yanks-Sox is legendary.
I don't know. the Yanks/Sox may be the most famous, but something about Rangers/Isles being able to play physically against each other on the ice, spices it up more.

Old
10-09-2003, 05:34 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
The Rangers aren't even playing and its only game number 1. You'd better believe I'll be watching the Yanks beat the Sox. Thats the best rivalry in all sports without a doubt. Rangers-Isles is great but Yanks-Sox is legendary. Of course there are always commercial breaks for some hockey action.

MOOOOOOOSSSSSEEEEE

Damn Moose givin up 3 homers to our rivals at home in a series as big as this one. What the ***** was up with that!
U are making it really easy to live up to your Wussina nickname.

Old
10-09-2003, 05:40 AM
True Blue

I had liked Jillson for a long time. The kid will be good. REALLY good. Nice shot, crips passing, and more than a little willing to use the body. The B's have something to look forward to with him and Boyton.

Dallas looks to be on a mission. Every time I see Zubie on the ice, it makes me go back and curse the day that he got traded all over again.
I have a feeling that Barnes will pop in at least 30 this year.

Tuomo Ruutu will be a big-time star for years to come.

Agreed that Giguere will shake the rust off.

Minny had better get Gaby signed soon. He is the one true offensive threat that they have. However, they only lost 1-0. You know that Lemaire will have them competitive as they will continue to be stifiling defensively. They took only 3 minors and went 0-7 on the PP. Had Gaborik been in, you better believe that they would have tallied a PP goal or 2.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:35 AM
BLACKBURN

Im not convinced about dallas, is it just me or does losing Hatcher and Sydor hurt at all Now their top 4 is Zubov, Matvichuk, Boucher and Numminum - I have to say i prefered Hatcher, Zubov, Sydor, Matvichuk - more solid defensively in my opinion. I cant understand why they traded sydor, made no sense to me and if say Zubov gets injured theyre definitely in trouble!!! good to see some hockey though, p.s. damn why didnt we get Simpson

Old
10-09-2003, 07:45 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Im not convinced about dallas, is it just me or does losing Hatcher and Sydor hurt at all Now their top 4 is Zubov, Matvichuk, Boucher and Numminum - I have to say i prefered Hatcher, Zubov, Sydor, Matvichuk - more solid defensively in my opinion. I cant understand why they traded sydor, made no sense to me and if say Zubov gets injured theyre definitely in trouble!!! good to see some hockey though, p.s. damn why didnt we get Simpson
It didn't look like they'll be missing them much.

Zubov was great last night. I just hate this team. Imagine him and Leetch on the blue line now. I want to cry.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
It didn't look like they'll be missing them much.

Zubov was great last night. I just hate this team. Imagine him and Leetch on the blue line now. I want to cry.
Zubov looked great, like the Zubov of old. He's so underrated defensively as well. I don't think Dallas will miss Hatcher much, they have some nice players there. Sydor gets injured so much because of rough game he plays, maybe they thought all these years of banging was catching up with him. Numminen is not a bad replacement, in my eyes.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I don't know. the Yanks/Sox may be the most famous, but something about Rangers/Isles being able to play physically against each other on the ice, spices it up more.
I love Rangers/Isles but realistically nothing compares to Yanks/Sox. When the Patriots won the Super Bowl the Patriot fans were chanting "Yankees suck." If you go to Boston there all wearin there dopey cowboy hats yellin cowboy up and shavin there heads. nothin like it

Old
10-09-2003, 08:46 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I love Rangers/Isles but realistically nothing compares to Yanks/Sox.
That was not my point. I acknowledgethat Yanks/Sox is probably the most storied rivalry in all of sports. However, they play baseball. A rivalry like Rangers/Isles is somewhat different because hitting the opposing team is within the rules of the game. Yanks/Sox is a great rivarly, but it's not like they play full-contact baseball.

Old
10-09-2003, 03:17 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
I love Rangers/Isles but realistically nothing compares to Yanks/Sox. When the Patriots won the Super Bowl the Patriot fans were chanting "Yankees suck." If you go to Boston there all wearin there dopey cowboy hats yellin cowboy up and shavin there heads. nothin like it
Ugh! Don't remind me. The one year that they gotta meet in the ALCS is the one were I move up to Boston. My teammate at my hockey game on Tuesday was saying all night how we have to "Cowboy UP!" It's the first time that I almost crosschecked my own teammate in the head. I know someplace that they can stick the cowboy, up. The hatred up here is amazing. They are absolutely fixated on everything Yankees.

Oh yeah, also a funny thing. During the Bruins/Devils game the Bruins had come back to tie it and after about two shifts the crowd started going nuts. The announcers commented how pumped up the crowd was for their Bruins. Just so happens that they were probably going nuts for the Redsox that had just hit a homerun to take the lead.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
The hatred up here is amazing. They are absolutely fixated on everything Yankees.
The Sox fans crack me up. They are like the a lot (not all)Islander fans. The Isles entire season is a success if they beat the Rangers. Not if they make the playoffs, but if they beat the Rangers. So too are the Sox fans. Their entire season is made if the Sox beat the Yanks during the regular season.
Hower, the hatred that Bostonians feel towards the Yankees is unparalled. Ever since Frazee sold the greatest player in baseball history (Sorry Bonds fans....Bonds is not, nor can he ever match the Babe) to the Yankees, the Yanks won 26 World Series title. The Sox have won zero since then. The hatred is an aspect of jelousy.
They are so jelous that they blind themselves. The funniest thing that I heard the other day was an interview with several Boston fans. These clown were ripping the Yanks with the usual diatribe. The Yankees buy every championship, they buy all their players, blah...blah...blah. Meanwhile the Sox feature exactly 1 homegrown player on their team. Meanwhile the Sox have the 3rd highest payroll in the league. Meanwhile, they tried so hard to get Contreras that they rented every single room in the hotel just so that the Yankees could not get a room. Sox fans crack me up.

Closed Thread