HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

2 out of 3 Versus analysts pick the Coyotes to miss the playoffs

Old
02-04-2011, 04:43 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
2 out of 3 Versus analysts pick the Coyotes to miss the playoffs

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2011/02/04...-the-playoffs/

Old
02-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Jakeman

vCash: 500
The coyotes will miss the playoffs if they don't get it together. I think they need to get a stronger,skilled center and another stay at home defencmen. The ownership needs to finalize as it's not helping the situation. Fiddler needs to return and once that happens this team will start winning again.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:38 AM
87turbobuick

They need better goaltending, we are not getting the big save.

87turbobuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbobuick View Post
+ 1

We suck in a general way this year, with plenty of passengers on this train at various times. The one constant though is this year's Bryzgalov is worse than last year's Bryzgalov.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:11 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbobuick View Post
I 3rd this.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

We are giving up way more prime scoring chances this year. We kept a lot of shots to the outside with a collective team effort in a lot of games in 09-10. I don't think that's my imagination, is it? We aren't holding leads in 10-11. Is it possible Bryzgalov is just a mid-tier NHL goalie who was a beneficiary of the system last season?

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
We are giving up way more prime scoring chances this year. We kept a lot of shots to the outside with a collective team effort in a lot of games in 09-10. I don't think that's my imagination, is it? We aren't holding leads in 10-11. Is it possible Bryzgalov is just a mid-tier NHL goalie who was a beneficiary of the system last season?
Bryzgalov is a very good goaltender, but like every other goaltender, the team in front of him affects his performance. Between this and last season, I've seen much more variance in the skaters than I have in Bryzgalov. Fault lies with Bryzgalov for losing a bit of his mental edge, though.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
He's good, but the team in front of him has made so many more awful giveaways this year. Bryz hasn't really stolen any games this year though. I'd like him to be sharper, but that goes to the whole team too.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:57 AM
knowsthegame

I thought Bryz was playing well until his injury. He has been sub par since his return. It doesn't help that his D panics in their own zone when pressed and completely lose their composure.
The forwards do a lot of standing around and watching in their own zone when we have a lead.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM

I disagree with the Bryz assessment going on around here. Am I the only one that is thinking that he is playing while experiencing PCS? He has not been the same since he was out with that concussion. The stats don't show it as his numbers in December and January were some of the best months of this season, but the soft goals and poor focus have greatly increased since his concussion.

If you look at this year Bryz is giving up 0.20 GAA more in wins and 0.15 GAA GAA in losses than a year ago.

Stats in wins:
2010-2011: 1.94 GAA, .940 SV%
2009-2010: 1.71 GAA, .941 SV%
2008-2009: 1.76 GAA, .943 SV%

Stats in losses:
2010-2011: 3.46 GAA, .889 SV%
2009-2010: 3.29 GAA, .884 SV%
2008-2009: 3.82 GAA, .882 SV%

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:29 PM
MP

Ordinarily I would feel obligated to argue with them, but as things stand, they're right.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Here is what I think the issue with bryz this year is Zbynek Michalek, Bryz this year and all prior years have had problems with sleeper shots and shots from the circles he can cross crease all night and make the highlight saves but he has problem with these chip and outside shots that usually catch him sleeping this was the same last year but last year our D would block most of these outside shots giving bryz the shots that he can block. With basically ZERO shot blocking this year these goals are going in.

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:51 PM
letbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Bryzgalov is a very good goaltender, but like every other goaltender, the team in front of him affects his performance. Between this and last season, I've seen much more variance in the skaters than I have in Bryzgalov. Fault lies with Bryzgalov for losing a bit of his mental edge, though.
We sit right behind the home goal.....Bryzgalov does not react to the puck like he did last year. He seems out of position more also. Granted the defense is making more mistakes, but more soft goals are getting by him where he seems to have sight of the puck all the way, but reacts too slowly on either the glove and blocker side to make the save.

letbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:07 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by letbob View Post

We sit right behind the home goal.....Bryzgalov does not react to the puck like he did last year. He seems out of position more also. Granted the defense is making more mistakes, but more soft goals are getting by him where he seems to have sight of the puck all the way, but reacts too slowly on either the glove and blocker side to make the save.
Really hoping the PCS speculation is just speculation, then.

Old
02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Am I the only one that is thinking that he is playing while experiencing PCS?
There's no way management would play our #1 asset while suffering PCS. I guess Bryzgalov could be hiding something, but one wonders for what purpose.

He also stole one for us against the Kings before the break, and looked great against Colorado as well.

I'm skeptical.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Let me clarify that, this PCS business is purely my speculation.

As someone who once played the position at a recreational level for a number of years and also suffered concussions I too am noticing that his timing and response is considerably off. To me that is a mental mistake so to speak, not a physical speed issue. His focus and tracking is not what it was in the past, and PCS would be a good explanation of that. You can even tell on shots that do not go in that he is having a hard time tracking the puck. Also, with these types of injuries some days can be better and worse than others. Bryz has had a few strong games, but those could be attributed to better defense and better clarity on those days. Far more often we are not seeing strong games from Bryz.

I agree that on the surface you would think that there would be no motivation to put Bryz out there with PCS. I do not think the team would intentionally do this, but players have been known to get around these things. Bryz's motivation might be that this is a contract year as well as he is a team guy that wants to try to help the team win as much as possible. Guys play hurt all of the time for both of those reasons.

I want to get Bryz locked up for a long term deal, but I think Maloney would be very wise to acquire a goalie that is capable of starting this year to relieve the pressure on Bryz. The premier goalie market will be competitive as it is every year, but he might be able to get someone that is flying under radar while everyone focuses on the Giguere's and Vokoun's. I don't think they have any intention going into the playoffs splitting games between Barbs and Bryz and it likely would not yield a playoff berth. It looks like Ray Emery is probably heading to the Ducks, but he could have been a good cheap gamble.

Last edited by Guest: 02-04-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:51 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Two thirds of the forwards and four of the seven defense-men play like they don't give a S*#T whether they miss the playoffs or not. Makes me sick.

Maybe, just maybe the Coyotes are not the playoff team we all expected them to be. Good coaching and over achieving can mask a lot of problems, but when that over achieving stops or hits a rough patch, what we see is what we get. A bubble team severely lacking in elite skill.

I'm thinking February will be a brutal month. Hope I'm wrong, but it's just a gut feeling I've got. I will gladly eat crow should they turn this sinking ship around and prove me wrong though.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I'm thinking February will be a brutal month.
One look at their February schedule and the teams they play will answer that question for you very quickly:

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
zerekstar

We have no one clearing bodies out of the froint of the net, no one blocking shots, back checking is weak, losing most of the battles in our end of the rink, Jovo (though I thgink he's great) makes more mistakes then most of the rest of our D and because of who he is, never gets taken to task on it, And Bryz doesn't look sharp.

I think we need to play Barbs more, sit Jovo down and show him video of what he once was and video of him now, Toughen up on the backend, maybe get Carkner or even bring Yonkman up and make their mission to keep Franzen/Holmstrom types away, and start hammering people. If they want to win in our building, make them earn it. The corners and the crease in our end should be a dangerous spot for the competition to go. And the give-a-ways are caused by lethargic play. There should be a lot more two way contracts which would stop some of that.

I noticed Vandermeer is doing for Edmonton what we need done here. I also seem to remember, our best play this year was when Yonkman was up. He didn't play that tough but just having him there might have been enough.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I would have preferred if it was 3 of 3, but I'll settle for two. That along with all the 'sky is falling' around this board is a recipe for Coyotes on-ice success.

Looking forward to what Maloney brings in at the deadline, and goalie of the month performance by Bryz in Feb or March.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Wile E Coyotes

it seems no one has the balls to crash the net.. Too many times on the rush I just see a shot from the top of the faceoff circle go right into the goalies logo rather then drive to the net to make a play.

Wile E Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyotes View Post
it seems no one has the balls to crash the net.. Too many times on the rush I just see a shot from the top of the faceoff circle go right into the goalies logo rather then drive to the net to make a play.
A shot between the dot and the top of the circle is not necessarily a bad play. Justin Bourne posted a terrific article on Puck Daddy about why shooting from a bit farther out can actually be a good thing. The whole article is worth a read, but the gist of it is that as a skater gets closer to the net, he actually has less to shoot at, and a save or a miss becomes more likely. In other words, in many situations, it's better to shoot from a little farther out, before the goalie has a chance to get set and make the save.

I would also add that there's always a chance for a good rebound. If you're entering the zone with speed, you can try a hard wrister or wind up for a slapper while your teammate(s) crash the net in anticipation of a rebound chance. I saw Kyle Turris do that just last night: he drove the far post while his linemate (I think it was Doan, but may have been Upshall) got off a hard first shot. Turris actually put himself in a pretty good scoring position. Backstrom didn't allow a rebound on that particular play, but I thought both Turris and Doan/Upshall had the right idea. I bet Tippett loves to see that kind of thing.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
PhoPhan

Second chances are the reason crashing the net is so important. You can take a shot from anywhere, but scoring on a rebound or a deflection generally only happens within a few feet of the net, not to mention the fact that being closer to the net makes it more likely that the goalie will give up a rebound or be obstructed from getting into proper position or knowing what the proper position is.