HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kopitar at the top of the umbrella...

Old
02-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Dr. Naysay

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
Kopitar at the top of the umbrella...

Can anyone remember a single goal ever being scored as result of Anze Kopitar manning the top of the umbrella on the Power Play?

I feel like I've seen Doughty and Johnson score from the middle of the blue line.... but never Kopitar and yet there he is shooting into guys skates and shin pads while Johnson and Doughty keep deferring to him.

Am I crazy or has this Power Play strategy never worked even once?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
My sentiments as well. You have bombs on each side with Doughty and Johnson, yet Kopitar is taking the shots?

Fangio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:04 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

The same one was used on the pre season game against the Ducks. Kopitar scored on top of the umbrella.

FrozenKing18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:05 PM
redcard

I honestly don't remember Kopitar scoring from the top of the umbrella.....but that's because I don't really remember him playing at the top of the umbrella before this game.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:46 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I honestly don't remember Kopitar scoring from the top of the umbrella.....but that's because I don't really remember him playing at the top of the umbrella before this game.

today was the first time this year

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:10 AM
no name

You don't need to bomb it on the 5 on 3. You are generaly 10 feet closer to the net. Kopitar is probably our best shooter so i understand the thinking, the problem is the Kings were too obvious. No deception, nobody moved more than 2 feet. Poor play.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Quattro

Might want to give it more than 1-2 games before you start *****ing about this particular strategy.

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:09 AM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Not so worried about any of Kopitar, Doughty, or Johnson being at the top of the umbrella, but rather the movement of the puck on the powerplay. I mean it's not really ground breaking from what I can see, all that happened is that Kopitar is now in the middle of the ice rather than the sideboards, but the players still have no movement, puck or feet, and no deception.

kingscup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Dr. Naysay

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
You don't need to bomb it on the 5 on 3. You are generaly 10 feet closer to the net. Kopitar is probably our best shooter so i understand the thinking, the problem is the Kings were too obvious. No deception, nobody moved more than 2 feet. Poor play.
That too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Might want to give it more than 1-2 games before you start *****ing about this particular strategy.
I guess I felt like I had seen it before. Now I realize it's Jarret Stoll that I'd seen up at the top of the umbrella...

I can't think of any goals he's scored from up there either.

I just don't understand why, on a powerplay, you would make your center the man FURTHEST from the net. Kopitar may have a great shot but I can't think of too many times where he's scored of a big haymaker from long distance.

It seems to me his goals are usually deceptively accurate shots from about 20-30 feet away and come off of snap shots, wristers and the occasional slap shot. I just don't think of him as a Chara-esque heavy artillery guy you want just unloading mega slappers from 64 feet away.

Also... not only did it not work it didn't even produce scoring chances off of rebounds so I think I'll criticize it right now thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
Not so worried about any of Kopitar, Doughty, or Johnson being at the top of the umbrella, but rather the movement of the puck on the powerplay. I mean it's not really ground breaking from what I can see, all that happened is that Kopitar is now in the middle of the ice rather than the sideboards, but the players still have no movement, puck or feet, and no deception.
My problem (again) is that you're taking your 6'4 All Star center and now he's the guy that's the furthest from the net.

If he's on the half wall he can drive to the slot, drift down low, drift up high, pass to the points, put a shot on net, be fed for a one timer. When he's parked at the center of the blueline he's got two plays. Shoot it or pass it. It's a 64 foot straight line through penalty killers if he decides to try and skate it somewhere.

I've seen Doughty and Johnson both walk the puck to that spot on the ice and score goals from there.... I've never seen Stoll or Kopitar score from there.

I don't know... maybe I'm wrong and I'm suffering from selective memory but it just seems like a crappy plan.

Can anybody else think of a team that puts their Center further away from the net than any other player on a 5-3? Or even a 5-4?

Old
02-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...4&event=L.A589

Kings vs Chicago earlier this year.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Dr. Naysay

OK... so it's worked once....

Old
02-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Pretty much lol. I still like how they set up, just they again don't have creativity with it.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...,2,81&fr=false

worked against St. Luis also

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
That's one of my thoughts about Kopitar, specifically, as a PP quarterback. Too predictable, telegraphs his moves, easily readable for the opposition.

Fangio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Dr. Naysay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik View Post

worked against St. Luis also
SON OF A *****!!!

OK fine... twice.

But at least I knew I'd seen it before. Suck on that folks who said it was the first time it's been tried.

SUCK ON IIIIIIIIIT!!!!

Anybody know how many times the Kings have had a 5 on 3 Powerplay? I know they only have 4 goals in that situation... but I can't seem to find the number of opportunities.

Old
02-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

One thing to note about Kopitar's shooting, he has the most SOG on the team, yet his shooting percentage is pretty low (below 10%). In general, I don't think he gets many quality shots on net, and those shots he takes from the outside right into the goalie's chest heavily factor in to his low shooting percentage.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of movement on the PP. Therefore the other team doesn't really have to scramble and that is where a lot of goals are scored. This makes us way too predictable. You have to knock the other team off their game and then get some shots on goal. LA plays too conservative on the PP IMHO. I think by keeping DD and JMFJ at the point to drop the heavy shot, it at least allows the Kings to get some shots on goal and a few places for tips or rebounds. By putting Kopi on the outside within the 20-30 foot range he can at least serve as another weapon on the PP.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:13 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
The newly created #1 Powerplay unit definitely is pretty predictable – but it has still worked reasonably well since being put together, hasn’t it ? I think with the “big 3” at the top of the umbrella we have had pretty good pressure in the last couple of games. There’s been excellent puck retrieval, giving us a lot of attacking zone time … which has let to more shots and a couple of goals too. Particularly getting Doughty into a more active shooting role seems beneficial compared to using him as the guy passing the puck to Stoll, so he can blast it wide.

The 5-on-3 wasn’t great though.

And moving Loktionov into a prolific role on the #2 Powerplay unit also seems to be paying off. He can really use his skill and creativity there. We got 2 goals off of that against the Flames.

I know it’s only been two games since things were switched up, but I think we’ve seen significant improvement in those two games. If we can get a bit more consistent pressure on the Powerplay that’ll help us a long way.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Well........ it's like all of you are right.
And this is the scary thing. Non professionals are able to figure out
how our PP isn't really working.
Of course i noticed it's getting better with Johnson instead of glass Jarett.

My major point is, the sense of a PP is that you have one man more on the ice.
That leads to whatever you do you have always one man to pass to.
Can anyone tell me why the **** our PP is everyone runs into his position stops any movement just waiting to recieve a pass and pass it back aound the opponent diamond and than shoot from the possible most far distance to the goal ????????
We are not in the 80's anymore when the opponent use a passive or active box and it makes sense let the blueliner shoot.

Well.... as long as you as don't pull the attention of one PK'ler the 4 opponents will cover up your 4 linemates and you lose the man advantage.
So everyone has to be in motion and we have to try to get as close as we can to the net and use the deadly pass to the linemate in the back of someone to put the puck into the net from 10 feet.
This is my understanding of PP

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Well.......Can anyone tell me why the **** our PP is everyone runs into his position stops any movement just waiting to recieve a pass and pass it back aound the opponent diamond and than shoot from the possible most far distance to the goal ????????
TM and DL have designed the Kings around a defense-first philosophy. The primary focus is preventing and reducing an opponents attacks and goals in all areas of the game and position on ice. In the long run, and in the playoffs, under pressure this can win games and cups: defend and counter.

This means you first maintain numbers on the defensive side of the puck. No matter what. On the power play this means you have players in position to cover rebounds and "bad passes" that lead to short handers (which can kill a whole period for a team) and score on rebounds during the power play. The focus in on never allowing a bad pass, or rebound, or missed play allow a counter attack. The focus is on shots to the net and rebounds rather than slick play. The Kings players need to circle (stride to the left or right, up or back) and cover their on ice position better and in sync instead of just standing around. They are starting to do that and the power play is looking better as a result.

Of course, having DD and JJ on the blue line probably helps.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote