HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers are watching Sheldon Souray

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2011, 09:09 PM
  #126
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Maybe he means hypothetically speaking
Yea, I figured that's what he meant the only reason I thought otherwise was because I would, under no circumstance, see the Oilers call up Souray again (he is like our Redden).

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
  #127
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,084
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Yea, I figured that's what he meant the only reason I thought otherwise was because I would, under no circumstance, see the Oilers call up Souray again (he is like our Redden).
Why wouldn't they? They are not near the cap and they could use the monetary savings of half his contract.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:25 PM
  #128
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,099
vCash: 500
two line pass:

Quote:
so anyway the rangers claiming souray off re-entry waivers. thoughts? opinions? surrealist murals?
NHLbyMatty:

Quote:
Rangers will be getting Souray on re-entry waivers if nobody else takes him. Not giving up anybody.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:04 AM
  #129
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
We're getting him on re-entry waivers then? Oh well. I hope that cap space doesn't come back and bite us in the ass.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:10 AM
  #130
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
We're getting him on re-entry waivers then? Oh well. I hope that cap space doesn't come back and bite us in the ass.
Nobody said it's a sure thing, or that they even walked away impressed with Souray.

It didn't say that Edmonton was going to put him on re-entry either... it's pure speculation.

I doubt anything comes of this.

It wouldn't bite the Rangers in the ass either. If they do claim him, they either 100% able to get another contract out of the door, they were never serious about Richards/etc to begin with, or they already have the cap worked out and will just stand pat with Souray should they claim him.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:48 AM
  #131
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
I'm going to be completely honest. I'm not sure why many are against the Souray pickup if indeed it does happen. I personally think it will keep other teams honest when we're on the pp. Never under-estimate a booming shot from the point. The other issue is whether or not Souray is his old self. Some of you are taking his AHL numbers and using it against him. I don't buy that at all. There is a lot of mental barriers that come into play when a long time professional athlete is sent down to play in the minors. I think it has a lot more to do with that when it comes to Souray than his abilities. I'd like to see us get a booming shot on the PP. Whether you want to believe it or not Souray isn't a downgrade over Gilroy or Del Zotto at the moment. His cap hit isn't bad either.

Some are going to cry that acquiring Souray will end the Richards sweepstakes but they forget that getting Richards will require for us to part ways with some decent possessions.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:55 AM
  #132
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
If Souray doesn't work out this year , we can always bury him in the minors for his final year.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:05 AM
  #133
AdamGravesNight
Registered User
 
AdamGravesNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vegas/Jersey/Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
I'm anti Souray only because of how bad Edmonton's GM claims he is in the locker room. Souray and Redden are in similar situations, but I've never heard anyone say Wade is a locker room cancer of any kind. Edmonton wants him gone to keep him away from their young players. The Rangers locker room seems strong, and I'd hate for this guy to come in and try tear it apart.

Or he could be the answer on the power play we've been looking for, and he'll help make NY a cup contender.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:54 AM
  #134
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
I'm anti Souray only because of how bad Edmonton's GM claims he is in the locker room. Souray and Redden are in similar situations, but I've never heard anyone say Wade is a locker room cancer of any kind. Edmonton wants him gone to keep him away from their young players. The Rangers locker room seems strong, and I'd hate for this guy to come in and try tear it apart.

Or he could be the answer on the power play we've been looking for, and he'll help make NY a cup contender.
Souray have had his fair share of off-ice issues. He was married with some Baywatch star, and they had a ugly divorce et c. While being a nice guy, it seems like he is kind of a screw-up off ice.

Of course we could use a booming shot, but Souray just is not a good hockeyplayer. Its easy to get fooled by NHLer that you only see in a certain situation night in and night out in the NHL. They build up a relation with their D-partner, and team as a whole. They develop and learn what they must be able to do in that situation, and you never really get to see them in other situations.

The above was very obvious regarding Souray, and also Bryan McCabe, when they played in Sweden during the lockout. A avg D like Steve Staios came to the SEL and it was obvious why he played in the NHL while the rest were playing in the SEL. He could handle the physical aspects with ease, you could see how the pace of the game was lower then he was used to and how that resulted in him never being overwhelmed et c. You know, he was just very comfortable playing at that level.

Then you saw a D like Souray. He seriously looked out of place in many situations. He was good along the boards, and decent on the PP. Like he could fire the puck for sure, but also defintiely did not stand out when handling it. But he struggled with keeping up in the transition play and he stood out as a stiff whenever he had to transport the puck.

He was really exposed for being a not so good hockeyplayer.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:29 AM
  #135
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Some are going to cry that acquiring Souray will end the Richards sweepstakes but they forget that getting Richards will require for us to part ways with some decent possessions.
What are you talking about? Acquiring Richards would require us to part with nothing that we'd want to keep if we sign him in the offseason, which is the only way we'll be able to get him. Picking up Souray on re-entry would absolutely prevent that.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:30 AM
  #136
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
If Souray doesn't work out this year , we can always bury him in the minors for his final year.
The problem is that both he and Redden will be on the summer cap. That's 9.2 million wasted. The 10% increase in the summer cap isn't enough to cover that.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:43 AM
  #137
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
id rather have andy delmore than souray. he is cheaper.


but i really dont want souray unless moved for boogaard

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 07:01 AM
  #138
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,887
vCash: 500
Souray had 4 PP points last season in 39 games. All assists. 39 games because he couldn't stay healthy. Concussion. Broken hand. Infected hand from the break. In the AHL this season,Souray has 3 goals with two of them coming on the PP. 11 points in 22 games. 22 games because he missed big chunks on time with a broken hand and a knee sprain. Notice a pattern. With his vaunted shot,he should get PP goals by accident. Hitting off the opposing players stick or skate. Teams have taken away his shot. It's more like a slingshot than his 100 MPH blasts.

In the three games this weekend,Souray had 1 secondary assist at even strength. He's the answer to the Rangers PP woes. Surely the Rangers scouts were impressed with him. 20 year old Evgeny Grachev has 21 points in 45 games and some people say he can't hack it. Souray is Mr. Big Shot NHL All Star defenseman toiling in the AHL with 11 points in 22 games and he is worth wasting $2.7M next season to see if he has something left as a 35 year old.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:21 AM
  #139
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Souray had 4 PP points last season in 39 games. All assists. 39 games because he couldn't stay healthy. Concussion. Broken hand. Infected hand from the break. In the AHL this season,Souray has 3 goals with two of them coming on the PP. 11 points in 22 games. 22 games because he missed big chunks on time with a broken hand and a knee sprain. Notice a pattern. With his vaunted shot,he should get PP goals by accident. Hitting off the opposing players stick or skate. Teams have taken away his shot. It's more like a slingshot than his 100 MPH blasts.

In the three games this weekend,Souray had 1 secondary assist at even strength. He's the answer to the Rangers PP woes. Surely the Rangers scouts were impressed with him. 20 year old Evgeny Grachev has 21 points in 45 games and some people say he can't hack it. Souray is Mr. Big Shot NHL All Star defenseman toiling in the AHL with 11 points in 22 games and he is worth wasting $2.7M next season to see if he has something left as a 35 year old.
Well said. There is no what was or what could be, there is only what is. And this man is simply not fit for an NHL roster...and that includes the Rangers. If they pick him up, then Sather is as short-sighted as a lot of the fans here.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:17 AM
  #140
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
What are you talking about? Acquiring Richards would require us to part with nothing that we'd want to keep if we sign him in the offseason, which is the only way we'll be able to get him. Picking up Souray on re-entry would absolutely prevent that.
Are you kidding me -- That's during the off season. Souray isn't going to stop you from getting Richards in the off season. You'll have time to maneuver around to fit him in as has been the case before when Sather needed to make room. The cry babies like yourself are more worried about the possible trade for Richards this season.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
  #141
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Souray had 4 PP points last season in 39 games. All assists. 39 games because he couldn't stay healthy. Concussion. Broken hand. Infected hand from the break. In the AHL this season,Souray has 3 goals with two of them coming on the PP. 11 points in 22 games. 22 games because he missed big chunks on time with a broken hand and a knee sprain. Notice a pattern. With his vaunted shot,he should get PP goals by accident. Hitting off the opposing players stick or skate. Teams have taken away his shot. It's more like a slingshot than his 100 MPH blasts.

In the three games this weekend,Souray had 1 secondary assist at even strength. He's the answer to the Rangers PP woes. Surely the Rangers scouts were impressed with him. 20 year old Evgeny Grachev has 21 points in 45 games and some people say he can't hack it. Souray is Mr. Big Shot NHL All Star defenseman toiling in the AHL with 11 points in 22 games and he is worth wasting $2.7M next season to see if he has something left as a 35 year old.
I'm sure he scored his 26 goals in 07-8 and 23 goals in 08-09 by accident too.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
  #142
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Are you kidding me -- That's during the off season. Souray isn't going to stop you from getting Richards in the off season. You'll have time to maneuver around to fit him in as has been the case before when Sather needed to make room. The cry babies like yourself are more worried about the possible trade for Richards this season.
Nice. You have no real argument, so you resort to name calling.

How exactly will we maneuver? Can't send players down during the summer. Souray would be untradeable. Avery is untradeable. No trading Drury without significant money coming back. Drury buyout is needed to sign Richards as is. Won't be enough if we add Souray. This is the same BS people spouted last summer when they wanted to sign Kovy. "We'll find a way!" Guess what, we didn't.

What's even more laughable is that you actually think that Souray might in some way help this team. Edmonton has tons of cap room, yet they are playing him in the minors, and not even on their own farm team. The worst team in the league has more than enough cap space to accommodate him, yet they are willing to pay him 4.5 million to play for another organization's minor league team.

What does that tell you?

And no one is talking about trading for Richards. No idea where you got that. Dallas isn't trading Richards. Whatever you are smoking, it's either too much or not enough.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:33 AM
  #143
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm sure he scored his 26 goals in 07-8 and 23 goals in 08-09 by accident too.
What year is it now? How many goals did he have last year? Yeah.

Actually, in 07-08 he had 3 goals. He had 26 in 06-07. He had 4 goals last year and this year, he's got 3 goals in the AHL.

Redden was an allstar once too.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:36 AM
  #144
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Nice. You have no real argument, so you resort to name calling.

How exactly will we maneuver? Can't send players down during the summer. Souray would be untradeable. Avery is untradeable. No trading Drury without significant money coming back. Drury buyout is needed to sign Richards as is. Won't be enough if we add Souray. This is the same BS people spouted last summer when they wanted to sign Kovy. "We'll find a way!" Guess what, we didn't.

What's even more laughable is that you actually think that Souray might in some way help this team. Edmonton has tons of cap room, yet they are playing him in the minors, and not even on their own farm team. The worst team in the league has more than enough cap space to accommodate him, yet they are willing to pay him 4.5 million to play for another organization's minor league team.

What does that tell you?
It tells me that is Edmonton and this is the New York Rangers. Quiet frankly, I can care less of what Edmonton and Souray went through with each other b/c obviously there is some bad blood between the 2 sides. You can bring a few other examples to the table that suggest Souray is being a bad locker room guy and I'll brush those off too. I'm just not a big believer/or I should say I don't base my entire opinion on ones off-ice behavior. That brings us to his on ice game and personally I think Souray still has that shot to keep the other teams honest when we're on the PP. Some names that probably shouldn't be looked at past this season are Gilroy and Prospal to name a couple. That's some space right there. I never wanted Kovy last summer at the contract he was after so I'm not sure where you are going w/ that.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
  #145
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
What year is it now? How many goals did he have last year? Yeah.

Actually, in 07-08 he had 3 goals. He had 26 in 06-07. He had 4 goals last year and this year, he's got 3 goals in the AHL.

Redden was an allstar once too.
I meant 06-07 and 08-09. 2009 was 2 years ago, not even. You can believe that his game is the reason he's in the minors. I believe differently. I think other circumstances played a further role than his play.

And don't even mention his stats in the AHL. I already addressed that with my first post in this thread.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
  #146
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
It tells me that is Edmonton and this is the New York Rangers. Quiet frankly, I can care less of what Edmonton and Souray went through with each other b/c obviously there is some bad blood between the 2 sides. You can bring a few other examples to the table that suggest Souray is being a bad locker room guy and I'll brush those off too. I'm just not a big believer/or I should say I don't base my entire opinion on ones off-ice behavior. That brings us to his on ice game and personally I think Souray still has that shot to keep the other teams honest when we're on the PP. Some names that probably shouldn't be looked at past this season are Gilroy and Prospal to name a couple. That's some space right there. I never wanted Kovy last summer at the contract he was after so I'm not sure where you are going w/ that.
Where I was going with that, is that people said we would find a way to fit Kovy under the cap. We didn't. Now you're saying we could add Souray and still find a way to fit Richards under the cap. We can't.

I don't care if you don't believe me, but if you took two seconds to actually look at the numbers you'd realize it's true. But you'd rather just throw out vague assumptions because the actual facts betray your argument.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:46 AM
  #147
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I meant 06-07 and 08-09. 2009 was 2 years ago, not even. You can believe that his game is the reason he's in the minors. I believe differently. I think other circumstances played a further role than his play.

And don't even mention his stats in the AHL. I already addressed that with my first post in this thread.
How about the fact that he's missed 129 games the last 3 1/2 seasons? Or the fact that he'll be 35 in July? If all you want is a big shot on the PP, might as well bring Kotalik back for all the good it will do our PP.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:47 AM
  #148
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Where I was going with that, is that people said we would find a way to fit Kovy under the cap. We didn't. Now you're saying we could add Souray and still find a way to fit Richards under the cap. We can't.

I don't care if you don't believe me, but if you took two seconds to actually look at the numbers you'd realize it's true. But you'd rather just throw out vague assumptions because the actual facts betray your argument.
Yes, because 2.7 million will decide whether we can get Richards or not. Sorry, but I don't buy that one bit. Especially when the cap will be increasing and we have players coming off the books. I respectfully disagree.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
  #149
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
How about the fact that he's missed 129 games the last 3 1/2 seasons? Or the fact that he'll be 35 in July? If all you want is a big shot on the PP, might as well bring Kotalik back for all the good it will do our PP.
Yeah, b/c Kotalik has had the same success as Souray with his shot. He also doesn't play defense and wouldn't be an upgrade over Gilroy and Del Zotto. Souray will.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:52 AM
  #150
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Yes, because 2.7 million will decide whether we can get Richards or not. Sorry, but I don't buy that one bit. Especially when the cap will be increasing and we have players coming off the books. I respectfully disagree.
Disagree all you want, it's still the truth. Look at the numbers. Or continue to ignore them and believe what you want.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.