HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2011, 06:11 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Ok, but capgeek told me that they would have 1million or so... i don't get it?
ok....the caps can take on a cap hit of $4.28m as of today and that will be up around $4.5m at the deadline.

Old
02-06-2011, 06:12 PM
aquablue

so at the deadline we could add 7 million? We could easily take Arnott + another piece?

Old
02-06-2011, 06:14 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
after the hannan trade the caps had about $4.5m in cap space, that prorated out to $8m+. The caps have given some of that back will callups, but not enough to reduce to to $1m.

Sk8 will provide the actual number at some point.

play with those guys? thats not how i read it.
check all my posts if you like.. trying to get a reaction....

is capgeek accurate?

Old
02-06-2011, 06:26 PM
aquablue

i tried a hypo. trade for fisher on cap geek... it seems we could just about fit him in as of now w/o dumping anyone. I dont feel content going into playoffs w/ 2 small rookie C. Feel like we must add a 2c...

Old
02-06-2011, 06:38 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
1 mil or so is worth about 7 (or whatever) in terms of full season cap hits.

Or, turned the other way, a guy with 7 mil full season cap hit will only have 1something remaining to deal with at the deadline.
Safe rule of thump is that you pay 1/4 of the player's salary that you acquire at the deadline. This year, it will actually be 23.2% instead of 25%, but it's close enough. So one dollar on opening night buys you $4 if saved until the deadline.

Last edited by CapsWolverinesUSA: 02-06-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old
02-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Capitlols

Is anyone else warming to the idea of acquiring Tim Connolly? I feel like he'll be a better fit than Arnott, of course Buffalo would need to fall out of the race.

Old
02-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I could see the Pens add Hemsky and Arnott, potentially. They have cap space, picks, maybe Goligoski, Tangradi, other lower-profile prospects to dangle. Shero likes to be active at this time of year, and this time around they are thinner than usual.

Old
02-06-2011, 08:00 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I could see the Pens add Hemsky and Arnott, potentially. They have cap space, picks, maybe Goligoski, Tangradi, other lower-profile prospects to dangle. Shero likes to be active at this time of year, and this time around they are thinner than usual.
They would have to empty the cupboard to get both of those guys. Hemsky will take at least a 1st and a semi-significant prospect. Arnott at least a 2nd.

Not sure this is the year to do that for them. Shero has to ask himself whether he'd be better served saving those bullets for a year where they have their 2nd best player healthy.

Old
02-06-2011, 08:02 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
i tried a hypo. trade for fisher on cap geek... it seems we could just about fit him in as of now w/o dumping anyone. I dont feel content going into playoffs w/ 2 small rookie C. Feel like we must add a 2c...
fisher's contract beyond this year would cost the caps a veteran not involved in the trade. i wouldnt do that.

rental please.

if the caps need offense, i'd be fine with connolly. with him on the roster the caps could be pretty sure that at least one of semin or connolly would be in the lineup at any given time.

Old
02-06-2011, 08:16 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If the Caps want Arnott they have the ammo and the benefit of not being a division rival.

With Letestu playing 3rd C, I'd put them on going after a wing and putting Staal at #2.

Old
02-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Goligoski seems too valuable, especially given his cap hit. They could use another depth defenseman as it is and Goligoski is their fifth-leading scorer. I'm not sure any of their prospects are untouchable, though. Maybe Bennett or Despres but I could see both available in the right deal.

I could see Pittsburgh being high on Arnott. Checks off a lot of boxes.

CapGeek says the Caps will have ~$6.58M in pro-rated cap space at the deadline.

Old
02-06-2011, 08:26 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Interesting split stat i found, MP is our best scorer after 3+ days rest.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_/...ngton-capitals

With every goal he scores, I would presume its ups his potential trade value.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
artilector

Don't really want any of these centers being mentioned, unless it's cheap -- 3rd rounder + B-list prospect, like Drake suggested, I believe.

Old
02-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Stewie G

For all of your trade deadline cap info.... http://capgeek.com/index.php?date=20...uick_launch=-1. Among other things, it shows the max cap hit each team can take on at the deadline.

Old
02-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Koized

What about Zubrus? I know he makes quite a bit but you could slot him in as the 2nd line center for the remainder of this year and move him to RW next year and let Knuble walk if needed. Familiar with the team, good relationship with players on the team, and has played well in the playoffs.

Old
02-06-2011, 11:59 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
What about Zubrus? I know he makes quite a bit but you could slot him in as the 2nd line center for the remainder of this year and move him to RW next year and let Knuble walk if needed. Familiar with the team, good relationship with players on the team, and has played well in the playoffs.

Old
02-07-2011, 12:00 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Looks like Phil the Thrill is available...heh.

02-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

For the best of the club (I mean salary cap plan here) we shouldn't trade for Fisher ofc.

I would like GMGM to extend Hannan for some reasonable money. That will help to ease Orlov into the roster (and maybe save one more year of his future ELC). In the same time that will increase the depth (for playoffs especially).

So maybe 2 years ~ 3 M? Something like Poti's contract.

That will not leave money for another pricey forward (technically we can get the one who will become UFA next summer, like Hemsky who has 1 more year at 4,1M).

That strategy basically leaves us with "incubator"-like season this time. We should continue to learn defensive team game and pray for Young Guns' preformance in playoffs. Those guys + goalies + defense = some chances. Maybe even ECF. After last 2 games I think it's possible in theory.

So there are 2 questions left.

1. This TDL. Connolly? Sounds good. Maybe Hemsky? Semin-Laich-Hemsky. Sounds even better? Too soft? Not much of a variety.

2. Kuznetsov. I think he doesn't need to play in the AHL. I think he should rehab his shoulders and play one more year in the KHL (I don't think it's good to start in the NHL being as tiny as he is and with not healthy shoulders). So his ELC should be signed next May.

Old
02-07-2011, 07:11 AM
txpd

burke killed that team with that kessel deal. set them back ten years.

Old
02-07-2011, 07:17 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
I would like GMGM to extend Hannan for some reasonable money. That will help to ease Orlov into the roster (and maybe save one more year of his future ELC). In the same time that will increase the depth (for playoffs especially).
green, schultz, alzner, carlson, hannan, orlov, erskine. as you can see, the only way orlov on the nhl roster makes sense is if poti is gone. the only way the caps can afford to resign hanna is if poti is gone.

the most likely scenario for yer boy orlov is that he is in hershey as the first call up.

Old
02-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Foy

Quote:
ok....the caps can take on a cap hit of $4.28m as of today and that will be up around $4.5m at the deadline.
if you take into account the fact that we could send a player down once we added a piece at the deadline (like a Jay Beagle), it's really about $5m.

Old
02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Foy

Quote:
green, schultz, alzner, carlson, hannan, orlov, erskine. as you can see, the only way orlov on the nhl roster makes sense is if poti is gone. the only way the caps can afford to resign hanna is if poti is gone.

the most likely scenario for yer boy orlov is that he is in hershey as the first call up.
it would be nice to have someone competent in Hershey to call up anyways.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:

I wrote that with Orlov @ Hershey for the full year in mind.

Ease = not being forced to play in the NHL from the start (and we know Poti probably will get injured quickly). One more D = Orlov in Hershey, adapting for the NA play.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Interesting split stat i found, MP is our best scorer after 3+ days rest.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_/...ngton-capitals

With every goal he scores, I would presume its ups his potential trade value.
Well..I have a different take..

With every good game MP has it lessens the chances that the Caps trade him. He's played very well over the last 3 games and if he continues to round out his play and be more consistent then I would not be shocked if the Caps stood still at the deadline.

Getting Fehr, Semin and Poti back from injury would be equivalent to a "trade".

I want to see MJ and MP play so well that GMGM doesn't bring in a 2nd line center truth be told. Am I sure that will happen? Nope. But I'd like it to.

If the Caps can keep playing like they have vs Tampa and Pitt (easily possible) AND their young centers keep improving then I'd like to see them "keep the powder dry" and hang onto all the kids/let them grow together.

Now if a guy like Arnott can be brought in for a 3rd round pick or something then you probably do that no matter what. But if MP keeps playing like this I wouldn't trade him.

We have a few weeks to find out.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Langway
Intangibles

...and...scene.

Closed Thread