HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shoulder Pad Help

Old
02-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

vCash: 500
Shoulder Pad Help

I have a set of Easton X-treme shoulder pads from the mid 90s that drive me nuts because the actual shoulder pads are so big and "flat." I've just spent about 30 mins "rolling" the pads trying to form them into a more comfortable shape. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to "shape" the pads? Thanks!

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 05:01 PM
beth

I reshaped my shin guards by duct-taping them into a more narrower shape, then immersing them in just-to-boiling water and then leaving them alone until they cooled. I don't know how it affects the plastic, but they fit awesome now.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 06:10 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Go with Sherwood Traditional's. They are the cheapest and a large number of NHL players wear them. They aren't bulky so maneuverability is easy.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Rush22*

I normally do not wear shoulder pads but some of the leagues I play in the refs can be dicks and force you to wear them. So to combat the issue I bought a pair of Lacrosse shoulder pads, they are much smaller and way lighter than hockey pads... they work perfect.

Rush22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Hacker10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Go with Sherwood Traditional's. They are the cheapest and a large number of NHL players wear them. They aren't bulky so maneuverability is easy.
Sounds a bit sketchy for NHL'ers to be wearing those 5030's. They don't offer much in the way of protection at that level, I would imagine.

Hacker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker10 View Post
Sounds a bit sketchy for NHL'ers to be wearing those 5030's. They don't offer much in the way of protection at that level, I would imagine.
The older players usually go with them from what I've seen. Probably anyone younger than 33-35 has on bulkier shoulder pads. I wear them for men's league they are great.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Hacker10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
The older players usually go with them from what I've seen. Probably anyone younger than 33-35 has on bulkier shoulder pads. I wear them for men's league they are great.
Yeah, I'm considering 5030's or the Bauer Supreme Classics. My CCM V08's are a bit much, I'm finding.

Hacker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I have CCM Fit 09s and they are great. At first I thought they were a little more protection than I needed, but they fit great and are super low profile. I don't know how to adjust current pads but when you are looking into new ones and you want low profile ones give these a shot.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Joe Cole

I honestly never saw the appeal of not wearing shoulder pads, or wearing those Sherwood 1950's style pads. Mobility, don't buy it. Old school macho hockey bragging rights.... maybe.

Once the puck is dropped, I never feel my equipement is restricting me. And as for protection, I need to go to work in the morning, I will protect myself as much as possible.

Do as you think is good for you.

I say, get equipement that fits correctly and it "disappears" once the puck is in play.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You can try a heat gun, but I'd probably spring for new shoulders. Modern pads are fantastic. For the money I like the Easton ST6 and the Reebok 4k (what I use) because they move around a lot better than pads even from a few years ago.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:40 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

If you want a LOT of maneuverability, check out the Farrell pads.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote