HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Emery Signs with Ducks, clears waivers, assigned to AHL

Old
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Snoop probably helped with the signing

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiankid View Post
Thanks.

I expect him to clear as well, but there is a small small possibility someone might claim him
just for lols, the isles should claim him and then ray should refuse to report.

02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Sens claim him...

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiankid View Post
Thanks.

I expect him to clear as well, but there is a small small possibility someone might claim him
i don't know, i can think of 1 team that might. it all depends on just how bad nitty is hurt. right now the sharks are doing the nhl/ahl goalie shuffle (especially since the worchester sharks just lost there starting goalie for the season also)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:19 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i don't know, i can think of 1 team that might. it all depends on just how bad nitty is hurt. right now the sharks are doing the nhl/ahl goalie shuffle (especially since the worchester sharks just lost there starting goalie for the season also)
but ray isnt NHL ready. He's made that clear. He needs 3-4 weeks, possibly more, in the AHL to get ready. Why would a team claim a guy who is making it publicly known that he's not capable of playing in the NHL right now.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Canadiankid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearney913 View Post
Sens claim him...
That'll be a good way to make sure you get the number 1 pick

Canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
goalie311

C'mon, someone has to claim him and make it 4-for-4 on snatching players away, lol.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
but ray isnt NHL ready. He's made that clear. He needs 3-4 weeks, possibly more, in the AHL to get ready. Why would a team claim a guy who is making it publicly known that he's not capable of playing in the NHL right now.
why would a team sign him just to send him down to the ahl, when they know full well that when he wants to come back up to the nhl he most likely won't clear re-entry waivers?

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Claypool

Islanders will claim him.

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
why would a team sign him just to send him down to the ahl, when they know full well that when he wants to come back up to the nhl he most likely won't clear re-entry waivers?
To help get a leg up on the competition for next season? The Ducks still need a backup for next season and Murray might feel/ Emery has told him that he would be interested in signing with them for next season. Just spitballing here.

Edit: Unless I am mistaken, once he is passed on waivers, the Ducks do not need to bring him through waivers again in order to bring him up to Anaheim. Thus giving Murray/Carlyle another option when giving Hiller some much needed days off while putting in a veteran goaltender who has been the backstop to a previous playoff run.

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 02-07-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Why is he waived :

It's like MA Bergeron's situation. He hasn't played in over a year. He could have been sent to the AHL without going on waivers. But the only way was to sent him on a conditionning stint which can't last more than 2 weeks. The Ducks think that he will need more than two weeks to be ready to play in the NHL, that's why they put him on waivers.

By the way, his AHL salary isn't over 105 000$ so he doesn't have to clear re-entry.

Honestly, I don't see why Anaheim needs Emery. I know it's a low risk move but I thought that McBackup was doing a fine job. Anyway, I wouldn't put my hopes too high over a guy who hasn't in twelve months.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Low risk move.

If he does great in the AHL he can come up for the playoffs and push Hiller to be even better.

If he is terrible in the AHL he can sit on the bench in Syracuse for the rest of the season and the Ducks get him off the books July 1st.

McDonald19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
To help get a leg up on the competition for next season? The Ducks still need a backup for next season and Murray might feel/ Emery has told him that he would be interested in signing with them for next season. Just spitballing here.
also, the ducks goalie depth right now isnt that great and mac isnt the ideal backup. If an injury hits, emery can be called up as an emergency recall without waivers. In the playoffs, he can come up and backup if they're not confident in mac.

Old
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
I dont think anybody claims him going down.

After the 3-4 weeks, when/if hes recalled.. Does he have to go thru waivers to be recalled? Im assuming he does, since he had to going down.

thats when you could see somebody claiming him.
No he won't have to clear on the way back up due to his salary being at the magic number of 105,000 in the AHL. Any contracts above that 105 number are the problem. Thats why players on one-way deals have to clear re-entry waivers.

McDonald19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Hampe
The Hampster

Waivers? Damn.

He'll be claimed then.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Hockeyfan2390

That's your cue, Garth.

Hockeyfan2390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
also, the ducks goalie depth right now isnt that great and mac isnt the ideal backup. If an injury hits, emery can be called up as an emergency recall without waivers. In the playoffs, he can come up and backup if they're not confident in mac.
I edited my post right as you posted this. Good post my friend and touche!

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 02-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Nvm.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:59 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks6607 View Post
Re-entry waivers don't apply here. I don't know. Thought that's what Bobby Mac tweeted
Quote:
tommorow at noon.

I expect he'll clear. When the player himself says that he wont be NHL ready for a month, why would a team bother?

Re-entry later in the year is a different question, but really only a possibility if a non-playoff team has goalie injuries at the time he is called up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
If he's going on waivers so he can play in the AHL, won't he have to pass through re-entry waivers to get back in the NHL? He may make it through going down, but I can't see him getting back up at half price...
Re-Entry waivers only apply to (non-waiver exempt) players on one-way deals or two-way deals with an AHL salary greater than $105K.

Emery's deal is a two-way SPC at the $105K max - Re-Entry waivers do not apply.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Elvs

Quote:
McElhinney has been pretty damn good since coming to Anaheim. Emery will have some hard competetion even if he has success in the AHL. However, McElhinney doesn't have a long sample as a solid backup. Signing a guy with experience like Emery could prove useful if McElhinney starts to struggle. Especially in the playoffs.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
neofury*

The dude has got talent, I hope for his sake he recovers his career.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Re-Entry waivers only apply to (non-waiver exempt) players on one-way deals or two-way deals with an AHL salary greater than $105K.

Emery's deal is a two-way SPC at the $105K max - Re-Entry waivers do not apply.
yeah, thanks.

i just went back and did my reading. Apparently because emery is on a 2-way and has over 180 pro games experience, he's not subject to re-entry anyways, regardless of his ahl salary.

Old
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Does Snowballs really do it again? I mean he's already ruined one trading partner for life......NVM....looks like re-entry waivers don't apply.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:23 AM
nycbruins*

I absolutely love when things happen that posters on here have already made clear definitive statements would never happen...and they're never around to talk about it afterward either.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
McElhinney has been pretty damn good since coming to Anaheim. Emery will have some hard competetion even if he has success in the AHL. However, McElhinney doesn't have a long sample as a solid backup. Signing a guy with experience like Emery could prove useful if McElhinney starts to struggle. Especially in the playoffs.
but until they improve their defence McElhinney hasnt been playing good enough to spell Hiller more often......if not for Hiller playing alot....Anh is probably on the outside looking out....probably your MVP this year.......

bottom line Hiller needs to be given a fair amount of days off till the playoffs otherwise he wil be burnt out....thtas why they are looking for an upgrade....clearly they dont feel comfortable in giving more key starts to McE.....and every gasme is key from now till april

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote