HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers are watching Sheldon Souray

Old
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Shocking development but he really shoots the puck well: Yeah two years ago.

Here are the direct links

Quote:
Rangers scouts get an eyeful of Souray, and don't like what they see "It was his job to lose."— source. Too slow for AHL, let alone NHL.
https://twitter.com/#!/SportsnetSpec...00511475142656

Quote:
Yes, not what Oil/Tambellini wanted to hear. Souray struggled badly with pace of AHL game. Story upcoming on Sportsnet.ca
https://twitter.com/#!/SportsnetSpec...01016439980032

In a league where defensemen are hard to find and especially an "offensive defenseman",Souray would be playing in the NHL instead of the AHL if he could play anymore.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:20 PM
CM PUNK

glad to hear they did their due diligence and walked away when they didn't like what they saw instead of panicing and just going after the 'easy' guy to get.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Thankfully, levelheadedness rules the day. Souray is the Oilers version of Redden, he was going to be of no help to us.

I find it a bit concerning that the Rangers even considered him as an option and went as far as to scout him. But one must expect these things with Sather as GM.
I don't have a problem with them looking. It's like window shopping. And frankly, a GM isn't doing his job properly unless he is always entertaining all possibilities. The good thing is we're disregarding the crap options.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Cmox

Sather going there was a good thing. Man, Souray must really, really play like dog crap.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
“You want to like him,” said a source familiar with the Rangers activities over the weekend. “But you can’t deny what your eyes are seeing.”

Rangers scouts dispatched to three Hershey Bears games over the weekend came away with serious concerns over Souray’s foot speed at the American League level, let alone how that pace would translate to the National Hockey League.

Too many speedsters were beating Souray at the AHL level for the Rangers to convince themselves that the shunned Edmonton Oilers defenceman could help them at the NHL level.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...couts_rangers/

Sather likes Souray. He is tight with Souray's agent.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I legitimately laughed out loud at the reports.

I continue to believe that the problem with the power play is about technique, confidence, and luck, and has nothing to do with a "booming shot"

02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I don't have a problem with them looking. It's like window shopping. And frankly, a GM isn't doing his job properly unless he is always entertaining all possibilities. The good thing is we're disregarding the crap options.
Well, I'm glad that they actually went there and confirmed that he sucked before blindly deciding to pick him up off waivers. I'm still unsure if anyone scouted Redden before the Rangers decided to sign him, because anyone in their right mind could see he was on the decline.

But for me, personally, knowing that Souray was a disturbance in the Oilers' locker room, suffered multiple injuries in the AHL and NHL the past few seasons, and was a shell of his former self would be enough for me to know that this isn't someone worth scouting.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm not surprised. I mean, if he was actually playing well then he wouldn't be in the minors; he'd probably be with the Oilers considering they are like 13 million under the cap.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I legitimately laughed out loud at the reports.

I continue to believe that the problem with the power play is about technique, confidence, and luck, and has nothing to do with a "booming shot"
you cant be serious with this post.

gimme a break will ya. luck yeah, the other teams that score pp goals are just luckier. you're joking right.... luck is the residue of design and our design right now bloes.

technique........ yeah ok. we are void of technique. we are a dump and chase powerplay. we own the wall in the o zone on the pp. thats um...not very good.

watch other teams pp. then watch ours. its sad. very sad.

and confidence, well thats obvious. this team has no confidence to score goals period let alone when they have an extra man.

ill take a booming shot from the point right now thank you very much. as much as l like his game so far, the normidget does not belong on the pp point. we literally have no one who has a decent slapper let alone a cannon.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We've worked this PP with a booming shot. The Kotalik case study lasted us 55 games, and while our % was a bit higher, we allowed somewhere in the realm of 10 short handed goals as a result.

Our power play isn't setting up people in a good position to shoot. People used to think it was Rozsival who simply didn't like to shoot. Now we see all of our dmen with no lanes.

Why? We have no speed to our passes. Everything we do in the offensive zone is deliberate. I can count the number of plays this year on the power play in which we were able to catch the defense out of position with our passing on one hand.

So... our problem on the power play is not a booming shot. It is the scheme and execution.

Timmonen doesn't need a booming shot to do what he does so well. Neither does Erik Karlsson, Bogosian or other PP Qbs.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

There's a difference between a good shot at the point, and a bad one. Kris Letang is a good one (I'd go as far to say one of the best in the league). Ales Kotalik is a bad one.

Why? Letang's is hard, accurate, and low to the ground most of the time. Kotalik's is hard, innacurate, and often at shoulder level by the time it gets anywhere near the goal.

Our PP lacks movement and creativity. To many guys standing still waiting for the puck to appear in front of them.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

well this is a relief! maybe update the thread title?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
There's a difference between a good shot at the point, and a bad one. Kris Letang is a good one (I'd go as far to say one of the best in the league). Ales Kotalik is a bad one.

Why? Letang's is hard, accurate, and low to the ground most of the time. Kotalik's is hard, innacurate, and often at shoulder level by the time it gets anywhere near the goal.

Our PP lacks movement and creativity. To many guys standing still waiting for the puck to appear in front of them.
Amen to that.

Not that a booming shot wouldn't help but if these gyus moved their feet AND the damn puck they'd be much better on the PP.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:08 PM
TomLaidlaw

Perhaps Sather learned from the Redden fiasco that it helps if you actually watch the player before you acquire him. If he simply watched Redden during one of his last two years in Ottawa we wouldn't have a 6.5 summer cap hit sitting in Hartford. At least we are learning. That is a positive.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
The New York Rangers were watching veteran defenseman Sheldon Souray closely this past week, but it appears they aren't fond in what they saw. According to Sportsnet.ca, New York's scouts are concerned about Souray's slow-skating style. As a result, the Rangers will be focusing its search elsewhere for a powerplay defenseman.

Rangers scouts watched three Hershey Bears games over the weekend, but Souray failed to impress, registering just one assist and a plus-3 rating. The Rangers have also been scouting the Toronto Maple Leafs lately and could have their eyes set on defensemen Tomas Kaberle and Francois Beauchemin.
Rangers GM Glen Sather has been looking for a mobile defenseman and is expected to acquire one before the Feb. 28 trade deadline.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr110208.html

just saw this, but didn't see it on here yet

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ehh.

Kaberle is going to cost a lot.

And if they get Kaberle, that means no Richards because they can't afford both.

This is why I keep bringing up Stephen Weiss. He's very skilled. His style of play would fit here. His contract is far less then anything Richards will get, and there's no guarantee Richards reaches UFA. Less expensive alternative, and allows them cap flexability to do other things.

If he doesn't work out, his contract makes him moveable.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Ehh.

Kaberle is going to cost a lot.

And if they get Kaberle, that means no Richards because they can't afford both.

This is why I keep bringing up Stephen Weiss. He's very skilled. His style of play would fit here. His contract is far less then anything Richards will get, and there's no guarantee Richards reaches UFA. Less expensive alternative, and allows them cap flexability to do other things.

If he doesn't work out, his contract makes him moveable.
Kaberle is a UFA at the end of the season.

02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...couts_rangers/

"You want to like him,” said a source familiar with the Rangers activities over the weekend. “But you can’t deny what your eyes are seeing.”

Rangers scouts dispatched to three Hershey Bears games over the weekend came away with serious concerns over Souray’s foot speed at the American League level, let alone how that pace would translate to the National Hockey League.

Too many speedsters were beating Souray at the AHL level for the Rangers to convince themselves that the shunned Edmonton Oilers defenceman could help them at the NHL level.

Sather likes Souray. He is tight with Souray's agent.
That didn't stop Sather from signing Wade Redden.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Rangers have more prospects and young roster players than they will have positions moving forward. The organization knows its' own players better than anyone else and likely has a strong opinion on who is a top prospect and who isn't. If the Rangers can swing the right deal, Kaberle is the way to go. We can worry about the summer during the summer.

Last edited by bobbop: 02-08-2011 at 02:51 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We've worked this PP with a booming shot. The Kotalik case study lasted us 55 games, and while our % was a bit higher, we allowed somewhere in the realm of 10 short handed goals as a result.

Our power play isn't setting up people in a good position to shoot. People used to think it was Rozsival who simply didn't like to shoot. Now we see all of our dmen with no lanes.

Why? We have no speed to our passes. Everything we do in the offensive zone is deliberate. I can count the number of plays this year on the power play in which we were able to catch the defense out of position with our passing on one hand.

So... our problem on the power play is not a booming shot. It is the scheme and execution.

Timmonen doesn't need a booming shot to do what he does so well. Neither does Erik Karlsson, Bogosian or other PP Qbs.
I'd absolutely love to have Erik Karlsson QB our PP! But since he's the only player on the Senator squad that Murray won't ship, that's not happening.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Glad to hear the Rangers scouts shot this down. I was worried about this guy being a negative attitude in the locker room. Now I don't have to.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

No thank you

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:50 PM
mullichicken25

first and foremost our powerplay is bad because we might very well be the worst passing and puck handeling team i have ever seen

a booming shot is always a plus....buts it'd be like lipstick on a pig for this team IMO

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

7th round pick 2059 + future considerations Deal?

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
7th round pick 2059 + future considerations Deal?
Throw Hall in there and we'll bless you with Gilroy, Christensen and Washington's 2nd, too!

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote