HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #55 @ Montreal Canadiens

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #55 @ Montreal Canadiens Pos
Artem Anisimov 0 0%
Martin Biron 59 68.60%
Ryan Callahan 3 3.49%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 2.33%
Dan Girardi 2 2.33%
Ryan McDonagh 4 4.65%
Michael Sauer 3 3.49%
Marc Staal 3 3.49%
Wojtek Wolski 1 1.16%
Mats Zuccarello 6 6.98%
Other 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
JimmyStart*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yup, it's much proven you have a hard time winning when you don't score goals.

Oh, and some of the comments in this thread are downright silly. One particular poster did not even watch the game, and criticizes the Rangers for mailing it in, which, as anyone who did watch will verify, was hardly the case. Another poster wants to rebuild, when essentially, that is what has been going on for the past three years. Oh, and apparently a four-game losing streak in February is more indicative of what defines this team than any of the hard-fought victories at Pittsburgh, Boston, Dallas and St. Louis.

Before the season began, I predicted this team to not make the playoffs. But, as a fan, I was okay with that, as long as I saw the continued infusion of young talent. I believed this to be a transition year. Well, they've exceeded my expectations, and they've infused youth. I am more than happy where they are right now. This team is playing four rookies and three 2nd year players on a nightly basis. The leadership is in the hands of young homegrown players. And, in spite of all of this, they are in a solid playoff position right now. Like I said, they've far exceeded my expectations.
It's unfortunate most people aren't looking at the bigger picture I think it'd make things a lot easier on them.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Oh, and apparently a four-game losing streak in February is more indicative of what defines this team than any of the hard-fought victories at Pittsburgh, Boston, Dallas and St. Louis.
What hard fought victory against Boston are you talkin about? In October??

I was very optimistic this whole season, even with injuries. Then I looked at the wins against Dallas, St Lou and the Nucks and thought maybe we'd be okay with the tough schedule coming up.

Now I'm not so sure we can make it. The PP is a mess and no matter how well the young guys and goalies play if you can't score down the home stretch against teams jockeying for position you are not getting to the postseason.

I expect Sather to wheel and deal, no way they stay put unless its impossble to find a dance partner.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:19 AM
nyr5186

Anyone have video of Torts' postgame conference?

nyr5186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
Anyone have video of Torts' postgame conference?
Right here

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Stats are updated.

A few notes I found interesting.

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik was essentially the 3rd line in TOI.
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello recorded no shots the entire game.
McDonagh-Sauer are creeping close to Staal-Girardi in TOI.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Articles also updated.

I'm surprised Biron got so much love in the poll. I would've figured McDonagh-Sauer would've gotten more.

Old
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And, truth be told, we need both.
Which is why I'm surprised they haven't brought up Vtank. The guy has a cannon and he loves to rip it.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Which is why I'm surprised they haven't brought up Vtank. The guy has a cannon and he loves to rip it.
Not to be pedantic, but doesn't Valentenko have less than 10 points?

Last edited by Wraparounds: 02-07-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Not be pedantic, but doesn't Valentenko have less than 10 points?
It doesn't matter how many points the guy has, we have no one from the point willing to shoot, PERIOD. It is impossible to score when you don't shoot, if he shoots it can be tipped, there could be a rebound, or it could go in via a screen. The ineptitude of this penalty is at Jagr-Nylander-Straka proportions when they would pass the puck around and refuse to shoot as if it was a game of keep away. They need someone willing to shoot the puck, cause Zucc and Del Zotto refuse to, same goes for Gaborik.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:12 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
It doesn't matter how many points the guy has, we have no one from the point willing to shoot, PERIOD. It is impossible to score when you don't shoot, if he shoots it can be tipped, there could be a rebound, or it could go in via a screen. The ineptitude of this penalty is at Jagr-Nylander-Straka proportions when they would pass the puck around and refuse to shoot as if it was a game of keep away. They need someone willing to shoot the puck, cause Zucc and Del Zotto refuse to, same goes for Gaborik.
Several times in the preseason, he tried to force the shot when it wasn't there, and it led to offensive chances against.

Do not want.

02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't think the answer to the Rangers' blueline or PP is to add yet another rookie.

02-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Several times in the preseason, he tried to force the shot when it wasn't there, and it led to offensive chances against.

Do not want.
It is no longer pre-season and he has played in Hartford, he was probably trying to hard to impress. Remember Steve Eminger in pre-season?
NO ONE WANTED, once he settled in he became a solid defender, now we want him playing over Del Zotto.

Something needs to change, we need someone with a shot, he provides it. I am not going to judge him on pre-season, Zuccarello did not look like he belonged here in pre-season, his game has adjusted to North America, as I am sure V-Tank's has after playing in Russia and being hurt quite often.

I want him to get a chance, or someone who will shoot from the point!

Old
02-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't the answer to the Rangers' blueline or PP is to add yet another rookie.
We have tried Drury, Stepan, Zucc, Gaborik, Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi, Eminger, Gilroy... notice anything?

None of these guys have a cannon... I would enjoy getting someone back there with a serious shot

Old
02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
We have tried Drury, Stepan, Zucc, Gaborik, Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi, Eminger, Gilroy... notice anything?

None of these guys have a cannon... I would enjoy getting someone back there with a serious shot
Staal has a pretty good shot. And so does Del Zotto. But they just don't use them.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I've noticed there are no shooting lanes because the Rangers are constantly kept the the outside.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I've noticed there are no shooting lanes because the Rangers are constantly kept the the outside.

Old
02-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
They have trouble carrying the puck in, when they do, they have trouble getting it off the boards.

When and if they finally do that, they have trouble making creative passes or getting the shots through.

The difference between a 90 and 100 mph blast from the point is negligible compared to fixing the scheme.

02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Staal has a pretty good shot. And so does Del Zotto. But they just don't use them.
Neither of them have a cannon, Girardi and Christensen have decent wrist shots, but no one is afraid to stand in front of them and both players don't get much PP time at the point, none for EC.

I would like someone who will rip it and isn't afraid to shoot, something this team is suffering from

Old
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
That is not always true, Zucc, MDZ, and Dubinsky all failed to take shots from the point last game when they had open lanes. They choose not to and try to get the puck down low for a slam dunk goal, which is nice in theory but fails when you can't make 2-3 passes in a row.

Old
02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Neither of them have a cannon, Girardi and Christensen have decent wrist shots, but no one is afraid to stand in front of them and both players don't get much PP time at the point, none for EC.

I would like someone who will rip it and isn't afraid to shoot, something this team is suffering from
Seems more to me like it's constantly been an issue of standing still. It's great to have a set up play but y'knoiw what having three out of 5 guys just standing in 1 spot...not jostling defenders and hindering their ability to block the shot. The puck rarely makes it to the net because the defenders are allowed to do whatever they want. We also rarely cycle it from the point to behind the net whetehr by ricochet a la gomez's goal or a simple pass we don';t force the issue anywhere near the net.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
They have trouble carrying the puck in, when they do, they have trouble getting it off the boards.

When and if they finally do that, they have trouble making creative passes or getting the shots through.

The difference between a 90 and 100 mph blast from the point is negligible compared to fixing the scheme.
A 90 and 100 mph blast is worthless if it's not on net.

Old
02-07-2011, 04:33 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i blame the coaching.

these guys are players. they need to execute a plan. have an idea what to do out there. they act as if its the first time any of them have played together. every night. coaching.

gaborik continues to negate himself by playing the wrong side so his stick is pointing at the wall. that effectively eliminates his shot off the pass. and he does this all the time. i blame the coaching here.

on the 5 on 3 advantages we get, our point men creep in too close, allowing the defenders to pack in the triangle and negate the down low slam dunk passes. instead of having the point men stay high and wide- which means they will have to be able to shoot it hard and on net-which they cant do, they creep in and stand still. this happens all the time. again, coaching.

when we gain the zone, we setup and pass the puck around the wall while every single pk unit plays an aggressive in your face style against us. in fact, look and see how many of our guys are facing the wall digging for pucks during every pp. thats exactly what the pk wants us to do. you cant score if you dont have possession of the puck. we dont react to that pressure and it ends up with a poor rushed bad angle shot, a block, a bad pass or a flub. if we dont pass quickly and crisply, we cant beat the aggressive pressure. if we do pass quickly, we can create odd man situations and open shooting lanes. we dont. coaching again.

its the same thing over and over. we've tried every one. nothings worked and we continue to do the same stupid stuff with no shots let alone goals. its not that we dont have skilled players, we do. its the way the players are executing.

coaching. its the coaching.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i blame the coaching.
Difficult to argue with that. As i see it, they are playing the way they have been told to play, and its not really working well. If they manage to establish in the offensive zone, there is no real movement, letting the 4 defenders easily predict where the puck might go, always be in position to block the shooting lanes, etc.

Which leads to the play being kept on the outside until someone makes a mistake and the defense clears.

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
A 90 and 100 mph blast is worthless if it's not on net.
Depends Singn'

If the 90-100 mph shot is high then yes it is usually worthless, if it is low it can be deflected by a teammate, can deflect off an opponent on net, or can bounce off the boards back in front of the net.

Look I will not disagree our PP has many flaws, but we aren't attempting enough shots, especially when there are lanes from the point, and Dubinsky and Gaborik who have the puck along the board with lanes tend to pass instead of shoot low and on net where rebounds are a plenty.

Old
02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i blame the coaching.

these guys are players. they need to execute a plan. have an idea what to do out there. they act as if its the first time any of them have played together. every night. coaching.

gaborik continues to negate himself by playing the wrong side so his stick is pointing at the wall. that effectively eliminates his shot off the pass. and he does this all the time. i blame the coaching here.

on the 5 on 3 advantages we get, our point men creep in too close, allowing the defenders to pack in the triangle and negate the down low slam dunk passes. instead of having the point men stay high and wide- which means they will have to be able to shoot it hard and on net-which they cant do, they creep in and stand still. this happens all the time. again, coaching.

when we gain the zone, we setup and pass the puck around the wall while every single pk unit plays an aggressive in your face style against us. in fact, look and see how many of our guys are facing the wall digging for pucks during every pp. thats exactly what the pk wants us to do. you cant score if you dont have possession of the puck. we dont react to that pressure and it ends up with a poor rushed bad angle shot, a block, a bad pass or a flub. if we dont pass quickly and crisply, we cant beat the aggressive pressure. if we do pass quickly, we can create odd man situations and open shooting lanes. we dont. coaching again.

its the same thing over and over. we've tried every one. nothings worked and we continue to do the same stupid stuff with no shots let alone goals. its not that we dont have skilled players, we do. its the way the players are executing.

coaching. its the coaching.
No disagreement on the coaching and the scheme, you are right about how most teams are very aggressive against us and we usually panic making bad passes or poor decisions with the puck.

I just can't handle a PP that fails to shoot, and the excuse that there are no lanes is just incorrect. It is to the point where I am tempted to take notes on the PP just so we all can discuss exactly what they are doing wrong and how easily we (the fans who aren't paid by the team) could easily attempt to correct their consistent mistakes.