HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2011, 10:59 AM
austrooper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
THE STATE OF RECRUITING WITH MEN's HOCKEY!

NON EXISTANT WOULD SUM IT UP IN A WORD.
Eagle,s continues to ignore the recruiting requirements of the Men's hockey team instead releasing nothing but "spin stories" about landing a recruit who will not be able to suit up until after the 1st half of next seasons schedule is over.
Why is this incompetence being tolerated? It can only and is only getting worse.

Relieve this man of his duties QUICKLY!
I think all Tommies fans would agree: there needs to be a change with the guy in charge of the hockey program. Why not co-ordinate it with the move into the new Grant Harvey rink? Sell it as a fresh beginning...a new era in STU hockey...Mike Eagles knows the game for sure and probably isn't a bad coach, but he misses out when it comes to recruiting and dealing with the mind-set of players at the university level....it's a difficult transition to make for a guy who knows hockey as a player who progressed through the junior and pro levels, but didn't play or follow the game at the university level.....different type of player to try and sell a program.....STU needs a guy who has a background in recruiting at that level and who also has an appreciation for the role of alumni and support groups....alumni groups are critical to successful university programs...you need their financial imput and also their support at the rink....in turn, the coach/recruiter needs to at least acknowledge their presence, work with the group to recognize outstanding achievement within the program and to connect the new with the old....Eagles has no concept of this as well...

Old
01-26-2011, 11:13 AM
TomBull

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
I think all Tommies fans would agree: there needs to be a change with the guy in charge of the hockey program. Why not co-ordinate it with the move into the new Grant Harvey rink? Sell it as a fresh beginning...a new era in STU hockey...Mike Eagles knows the game for sure and probably isn't a bad coach, but he misses out when it comes to recruiting and dealing with the mind-set of players at the university level....it's a difficult transition to make for a guy who knows hockey as a player who progressed through the junior and pro levels, but didn't play or follow the game at the university level.....different type of player to try and sell a program.....STU needs a guy who has a background in recruiting at that level and who also has an appreciation for the role of alumni and support groups....alumni groups are critical to successful university programs...you need their financial imput and also their support at the rink....in turn, the coach/recruiter needs to at least acknowledge their presence, work with the group to recognize outstanding achievement within the program and to connect the new with the old....Eagles has no concept of this as well...
Well said Austrooper. As a Tommies fan I agree. I don't want Eagles to get railroaded but a change is necessary like you mention.

Old
01-29-2011, 05:40 AM
cookiecutter

Say what?

Quote of the night after the loss to UNB, which was no surprise and following the Tommies disappearing in the third.....(to the press) "I'll let you guys figure that one out". ahh...... isn't he paid two salaries to sort of figure it out himself? Some places o start looking: recruiting, players not playing for coach, should STU be in the AUS as a varsity team, etc etc. Time to move to the secure job of AD and hire a new coach when you move up the hill to "the place that STU built".

yes this(UNB) is the top team in the nation and they beat everyone, but, what about the other teams that beat up on

Old
02-07-2011, 03:38 PM
cookiecutter

Can this thread be wiped out? Similar to the Tommies Playoff chances? Enough talk about a coach leaving...the team has already left, just shut out the lights and watch golf. I see in the paper the ladies Tommies even evaluated their food after a loss???? Perhaps the men have too much starch in their diet??

Old
02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
cookiecutter

oh, btw how did the Tommies local post work out after they booted all of the posting peeps?

Old
02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
TomBull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
oh, btw how did the Tommies local post work out after they booted all of the posting peeps?
?????????????????

Old
02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
cookiecutter

STU had a local website earlier where fans were posting on a regular basis. I think their video guy that records the games and some other dudes that run the site got upset with the comments that were being made about the coaching situation and so they made it so you had to give them name rank and serial number before you could post a comment. I think most people told them to pound sand.

Old
02-07-2011, 07:24 PM
cookiecutter

When all is said and done, Mike is a nice guy. If all players had the work ethic and dedication that he has shown throughout his career STU would be in first place. There are certainly a cast of players who are die hard fans such as video guy and trainers etc. They all toil away in a tough conference and represent a small liberal arts college. STU has a ton of money, but right now players can get a ton of exposure playing on about four or five nationally ranked programs so it makes it a hard sell. I will probably go back to support them when they move to the new rink. To me they need to work hard every game and compete at least to middle of the pack

Old
02-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Rob

When is the opening date for the new rink? I thought it was for the start of the 2012-2013 season?

Old
02-07-2011, 11:01 PM
gleanerguy

January 2012 according to the web site...

Old
02-08-2011, 01:25 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
STU had a local website earlier where fans were posting on a regular basis. I think their video guy that records the games and some other dudes that run the site got upset with the comments that were being made about the coaching situation and so they made it so you had to give them name rank and serial number before you could post a comment. I think most people told them to pound sand.
i had nothing to do with the site being shut down, that was 100% STU Tommies.com. And I wasnt upset with any of the comments, im all for healthy debate, but when people starting using personal attacks on either myself, or any really that they wouldnt have the guts to say to a persons face, then it becomes an issue

Old
02-08-2011, 04:22 AM
cookiecutter

Yeh. Thanks for proving my point. I think Video guy wanted people to show up at the rink and confront him face to face. When people laughed at that they all got together and took issue with the board peeps and went private. No offence video guy, just let the posts go for what they are...a radio talk show type thing where people can offer two cent opinions and remain without idenity. If people think it is only 4 or 5 people who are upset with the situation then do a survey on this board. I doubt that there are only about a dozen people who even care about the Tommies and their situation. Fredericton has UNB, Moncton has U De M etc etc. I don't think, that other than 25 people care if STU hits bottom of the barrel every year, if UNB female folded or even if STU female folded. The female hockey was always about who has money to bring in players from out west, NS etc. Look at the roster of the females. The teams spend thousands of dollars to bring ladies from all over the globe to play hockey in front of 50 fans a game and now the men are drawing 200!! Students don't go to the games anyway. Fredericton has always been an adult crowd. Adults simply won't pay 15 dollars to see a lop sidded game. If STU gains in ability then people will pay to watch a game. As for true fans, they write to these boards to show displeasure with the operation of the team.

Old
02-08-2011, 04:55 AM
cookiecutter

Oh yes, one final thing I always said that the move to the new rink was an investment of over a million dollars. That was confirmed by the university and confirmed again in the gleaner this morning. oh yeh almost forgot Mike will be offered one job or the other. because assistant coaches were mentioned it is the same as confirming he won't be back as coach. They are, however, confirming that they are committed to bringing hockey to the competitive level. That means more money, which will mean a paid for assistant coach and money under the table for the players. betcha all players start getting money awards etc and first line players suddenly start driving new trucks. Non varsity sports were mentioned so they are safe to go, but they cost no money anyway. female hockey was not mentioned, but it will either get the axe or be given more scholarships to recruit an entire team of imports. Either way STU is buying us one or two new teams...yay. Oh yeh nothing in store for the rest of the student body.

Old
02-08-2011, 05:51 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Oh yes, one final thing I always said that the move to the new rink was an investment of over a million dollars. That was confirmed by the university and confirmed again in the gleaner this morning. oh yeh almost forgot Mike will be offered one job or the other. because assistant coaches were mentioned it is the same as confirming he won't be back as coach. They are, however, confirming that they are committed to bringing hockey to the competitive level. That means more money, which will mean a paid for assistant coach and money under the table for the players. betcha all players start getting money awards etc and first line players suddenly start driving new trucks. Non varsity sports were mentioned so they are safe to go, but they cost no money anyway. female hockey was not mentioned, but it will either get the axe or be given more scholarships to recruit an entire team of imports. Either way STU is buying us one or two new teams...yay. Oh yeh nothing in store for the rest of the student body.
So, let's see...you ***** if the team is not competitive. You ***** now if they take the necessary steps to make it competitive. At the risk of outing myself, I sat in Dennis Cochrane's office for 90 minutes yesterday...they're late to the realization, but they realize a competitive flagship athletic program is important to the university. The million dollar investment they're making at the rink, they consider an investment...they can generate revenue through sales of canteen rights, rink board advertising and so on. They're not tipping their hand as to which job Eagles will be offered -- I don't think they're sure yet themselves. But if it's the coaching job, yes, they'll be looking at the assistants too -- not on a full time basis a la UNB, but somebody who can assist Mike and has strengths that he doesn't have.
I'm getting the flavour of this whole deal now -- it's just a place to complain. They're damned if they do something, damned if they don't. You people have been screaming for change. You're getting it. Now you're screaming about the direction that change takes. Sheesh!

Old
02-08-2011, 06:45 AM
cishockeyfan

This is a good foot forward by STU University. Change needs to be made, and its the right time with the new rink on the way. I give it a 85% chance Mike will be Athletic Director, and a generous 15% to still be Men's Hockey coach.

They Need a Tom Coolen, Pete Beliveau type guy in place to sell the program to new potential players, and start the era of a new rink in the right direction.

speaking of what is Tom Coolen's current Status

Old
02-08-2011, 06:52 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
This is a good foot forward by STU University. Change needs to be made, and its the right time with the new rink on the way. I give it a 85% chance Mike will be Athletic Director, and a generous 15% to still be Men's Hockey coach.

They Need a Tom Coolen, Pete Beliveau type guy in place to sell the program to new potential players, and start the era of a new rink in the right direction.

Tom is in town, teaching school I believe, and works with NHL Central Scouting rep for Atlantic Canada for the Quebec League. May or may not be keen to coach again. Another name to consider....Don MacAdam. Either would spice up the rivalry with UNB again at least, keeping interest up until the program had time to get good again.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
VRedsRule

Dylan Taylor!

Oh wait - didn't he just hook up with another team

Old
02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
So, let's see...you ***** if the team is not competitive. You ***** now if they take the necessary steps to make it competitive. At the risk of outing myself, I sat in Dennis Cochrane's office for 90 minutes yesterday...they're late to the realization, but they realize a competitive flagship athletic program is important to the university. The million dollar investment they're making at the rink, they consider an investment...they can generate revenue through sales of canteen rights, rink board advertising and so on. They're not tipping their hand as to which job Eagles will be offered -- I don't think they're sure yet themselves. But if it's the coaching job, yes, they'll be looking at the assistants too -- not on a full time basis a la UNB, but somebody who can assist Mike and has strengths that he doesn't have.
I'm getting the flavour of this whole deal now -- it's just a place to complain. They're damned if they do something, damned if they don't. You people have been screaming for change. You're getting it. Now you're screaming about the direction that change takes. Sheesh!
Ya I'm kind of confused too. The issue with teams like female hockey playing in front of 50 fans is one that isn't going away. The CIS has advocated for gender equity in athletic spending, for years, although in truth they are still formulating an acutal policy, but my point is although I am the first to say it takes a lot of money to run a successful varsity program, it is no business operation to be sure, it is subject to just as much political interference as anything else. So the female Thommies, despite 50 fans, are here to stay I would venture. Having said that, how UNB got away with it is still beyond me, but they may have balanced the spending in other ways. Secondly, there are two sources of revenue. Team raised and University raised. The latter would provide scholarships, the former, other authorized/[/U]legal[/U] expenses, and I'll admit beyond scholarships, there is not much variability there. ( you are not allowed to "pay" them as much as a free T shirt!) Anyway the implication I read says they intend to raise all kinds of money and first line players will be driving new trucks as a result. If you could afford that kind of money to begin with, trust me they'll have a top notch team long before the first new vehicle arrives and it won't be necessary to break the law. Still, I would agree it is an excellent opportunity for a new coach. Thirdly, I saw STU a few times this year, and saw a great effort every time, I still think they have enough pride there to build on. The fans will be back eventually, cripes we played in front of that many in the Halifax Metro Center when the coach refused to bow out, sometimes less than that! (200) Guess I don't see where the team "walked out on him".

Old
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
gleanerguy

It's my understanding that kids who come out of major junior hockey have their education package already in place -- one year tuition for each year of major junior hockey. Often the junior team will have individual deals with players that enhance that, and scholarships or merit awards enhance those packages further.
I think next year will be a rebuilding one -- they have a minimum eight players to replace and there are a couple with eligibility remaining who likely won't be back. It's important they get a coach or some kind of direction in place quickly to get on the recruiting trail and get a guy in place quickly. Thus the timing of the announcement yesterday...

Old
02-08-2011, 03:13 PM
rantfather

The poster child for the STU TOMMIE'S should be current assistant coach Eric Bissonette. Recruited by former great Coach and recruiter Al MacAdam Eric completed studies for both B.A. & B/Ed. and added English to his abilities and has been a credit to St.Thomas University in the teaching ranks and also as an acknowledged small business entrepreneur( award winning) .
No need to look outside the Tommies ranks as in addition he has held several scouting positions for QMJHL teams and was responsible for the recruiting of one Yannik Tremblay who went on to have a dozen or so years in the NHL. Look no more,the man is in town already.

Old
02-08-2011, 04:00 PM
gleanerguy

You do yourself a disservice if you "look no more." Eric is certainly a viable candidate if it's the coaching job they decide to fill. But you don't know the perameters of the position and you don't know who's out there and interested. Open the field and see what comes back.

Old
02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
cookiecutter

Well, Gleaner guy, are you saying you were in the Administration at STU for 90 minutes?

Old
02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
dale 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post

Tommy Coolen!? Where is that guy? He has more pirate lives that Black Bart and Jack Sparrow put together!!

Old
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
You do yourself a disservice if you "look no more." Eric is certainly a viable candidate if it's the coaching job they decide to fill. But you don't know the perameters of the position and you don't know who's out there and interested. Open the field and see what comes back.
Right on Gleaner guy,a poor chosen phrase and I support an open and full canvassing of the positions and the filling of such positions by qualifications etc. so I am subscribing to the Open the field" of search

Old
02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
STUpid

A step in the right direction, but why the automatic assumption that Eagles' is to have a continued role. What if a proper review determines that he is not fit for either job? Then why not open both positions to competition and field the best possible candidates? And to say the area in which he will definitely be involved is recruiting? The man who couldn't entice a fly to a pile of ****? (a more apt analogy I can't think of).

Other flaws in the plan:
1. Eagles is "demoted" to coach only, then a) doesn't have the self-respect to quit in the face of demotion and b) now has to report to his new replacement, most likely with a chip on his shoulder.
2. Eagles loses the coaching job, but continues on as AD. Is he responsible for the hiring of the new coach? Is the new coach going to be a) a puppet hire or b) having to deal with Eagles constantly looking over his shoulder and interfering?

Closed Thread