HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Sign F Raffi Torres to 1-Year, $1 Million Deal

Old
02-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOfBernier View Post
For God's sake, he's making a million dollars as an inconsistent depth player that is on pace for 17 goals and 32 points. Some of the expectations surrounding this team are becoming more absurd by the minute with our first place standing. Perhaps a look back at 2002-2003 will remind some of you that regular season means nothing (although this doesn't apply as much to Torres as it does to other players on the team).
i was going to write a post but this sums up what i was going to say

it's a 1 year contract for $1 million...you get what you pay for

my only expectations of torres in the playoffs are being responsible enough defensively and throwing a few big bodychecks

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:30 AM
crazyforhockey

vCash: 500
think of it this way he replaced Bernier....through 53 gms last year bernier 11-9=20

Torres 11-10=21 little pp time .....bernier alot more pp time last year.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:53 AM
ProstheticConscience
I see an eagle

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
think of it this way he replaced Bernier....through 53 gms last year bernier 11-9=20

Torres 11-10=21 little pp time .....bernier alot more pp time last year.
^^This.

There was a game last year where we pulled the goalie in the last minute and AV threw Bernier out there. I was in the bar yelling "WTF is Bernier doing out there?!" at the tv.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 01:37 AM
bbud

Torres has been pretty much what should have been expected a solid bottom 6 forward with ability to go on scoring streaks and hit hard , playoffs will be what matter and if he brings his nasty game then he will be well worth having .

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:38 AM
MS

As a signing, it hasn't been a disaster but it hasn't really worked out well either.

After a very good October, he's been a below-average 3rd line player since. 4 goals in 40 games, poor defensive player for a guy on a checking line, physical play very inconsistent. That line is really struggling as it simply doesn't have anyone who has ability to make plays with the puck on their stick.

IMO one of the things we should be looking at heading into the trade deadline is picking up a better fit for that 3rd line wing spot so we can drop Torres down to the 4th line for the playoffs.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

One change I'd really like to see, just to see if it would work, is switching Torres and Raymond.

Playing with Kesler and Samuelsson would allow Torres to simplify his game and just go to the net, get hits in, and not worry about puck distribution or checking (which he's never been good at, I don't know why he's on a checking line). Plus the Torres/Malhotra chemistry is like, horrifically bad.

Raymond is better defensively and can actually complete a pass which is something Malhotra and Hansen are evidently incapable of doing.

Going forward, it looks like the Canucks are going to have to go cheap on the group of wingers considering the cash tied up on D, down the middle, and in net. Which is fine, if you're going to skimp somewhere it may as well be there. The problem this season seems to have been we have four incredibly streaky wingers in Raymond/Torres/Samuelsson/Tambellini (you could probably lump Burrows in here but he at least plays hard consistently). I'd like to see the Canucks adopt a strategy (kind of like Pittsburgh) where they load up on low-cost, hard-working two-way wingers to round out their skilled group of centers. There are lots of players like that available this summer:
Pascal Dupuis, Jamie Langenbrunner, Antti Miettinen, Chad Larose, Joel Ward, Curtis Glencross, etc

At least players like that need to be respected by the opposition game-in, game-out. When Raymond or Samuelsson are off their game they aren't a threat at anything and it becomes a lot easier for teams to shut our top guys down. Well, that's probably a little overly simplistic, but there's some truth to it.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:08 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I agree playing Torres on either the fourth or maybe the second line might be worth a try. Raymond would play just fine alongside Malhotra, because they have no real puck carrier on that line, and Raymond seems to love doing it anyway. If he can put pucks on the goal, Manny and Hansen should be able to get some product off rebound goals.

If Torres can screen the goalie decently, and perhaps capable of getting some deflections, playing with Samuelsson and Kesler can really benefit him.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:01 AM
JAK

Torres can get hot, and win you half a series by himself.

Or he can stay cold but give you solid physical minutes while your stars get rest between shifts.

he's only being paid 1 million, what do you expect? Forsberg?

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
he's only being paid 1 million, what do you expect? Forsberg?
Definitely.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Fo...222/story.html

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

He only makes $1m, he's on pace for 15+ goals and 30+ points while not being a liability on the ice. Sure, he's embroiled in a terrible goal scoring slump, but he's not making costly mistakes when he's on the ice.

He is streaky and has been to the big dance. He's there for some depth scoring and not to hurt the team and he's doing it at a reasonable price tag. I have zero problems with him being here. He's not the steal I was hoping for, but he's a solid enough contributor.

And you're not going to get 27 goals out of a 3rd line player very often in this league.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Naslund isn't here anymore and you know if he was here he'd be able to get his best friend to sign here.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
Or he can stay cold but give you solid physical minutes while your stars get rest between shifts.
If that's what he does when he's cold, I hate to think what he must have been over the last fifteen games..

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Mizral

Count me as someone who wasn't really sure about the signing when it happened and I'm still not 100% sold on it. That said we will need some guys to bang bodies in the playoffs and if Torres manages to go the rest of the season and the playoffs without scoring but can at least bang bodies than I'll be happy. Historically Torres gets a bit lazy though and he should be on a short leash what with guys like Bolduc in the system who will block a shot with his face just to play a game.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
He only makes $1m, he's on pace for 15+ goals and 30+ points while not being a liability on the ice. Sure, he's embroiled in a terrible goal scoring slump, but he's not making costly mistakes when he's on the ice.
I actually think Torres is pretty terrible defensively. Often gets out of position to make a hit at inopportune times (i.e. doesn't pick his spots well).

That being said, he makes next to nothing and does have the ability to get hot and help us out in the playoffs.

Maybe putting him on a differnt line would help him out as he doesn't seem like a good fit where he is.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 04:49 PM
LostMyGlasses*

I think Torres' defensive woes are overstated. He's strong along the boards and in front of the net. He's pretty good on a break out. His physicality has been good and at least I've thought his hits were well timed.

The problem is when he's forced to carry the puck. He isn't great at distributing it, and often loses the puck, gets checked easily, or makes an errant pass. This happens most often in the neutral and offensive zone.

Hansen and Malholtra are better, but not by much. The line clearly needs a competent puck carrier and passer. Torres needs to simplify his game, and so does Malholtra. That probably won't happen with Hansen on their wing.

Hansen's great, he's constantly hustling and forechecks better than most of the team. But I don't think he's what the third line needs, unfortunately. I know Hansen has many supporters, and I count myself as one of them, but its clear one of the wingers on that third line needs to be moved around the roster.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Canucker

I don't really have any problem with Torres...Initially I thought he might provide a bit more offensive punch but he still does what he needs to for the most part. He's going through a dry spell right now but that happens, he still plays a physical game and isn't a real liability. My only concern about him is the fact he seems to disappear for extended periods and doesn't seem to work as hard. You can usually tell when Torres has his legs because he is flying around trying to make contact and working hard to backcheck. Would like to see more of that on a more consistent basis, but its hard to do in an 82 game schedule.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I think Torres' defensive woes are overstated. He's strong along the boards and in front of the net. He's pretty good on a break out. His physicality has been good and at least I've thought his hits were well timed.
This is the first example I could think of (it's from Friday's game, 2nd Hawks goal at 2:50...if you can find a shorter clip, more power to you). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_tlzEJM-I

Hansen and Malholtra both miss the puck and are caught deep. Torres skates accross the rink to throw a hit and the Canucks end up with a 3 on 2 against...Hansen skates hard to get back into the play but the reality is, the Hawks ran it like a 3 on 2 and scored.

I realize one example isn't everything and that more people then Torres made mistakes on the play, I just thought it was a reasonable example of what I am talking about about not thinking before going for a big hit.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Dana Murzyn

When assessing Torres's defensive play this year, one must take into account that he's preventing the 3 goals against that he himself would have automatically scored versus the Canucks had he been playing for any other team.

That's the kind of big-picture thinking that sets Gillis apart.

Dana Murzyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

The problem is when he's forced to carry the puck. He isn't great at distributing it, and often loses the puck, gets checked easily, or makes an errant pass. This happens most often in the neutral and offensive zone.

Hansen and Malholtra are better, but not by much. The line clearly needs a competent puck carrier and passer. Torres needs to simplify his game, and so does Malholtra. That probably won't happen with Hansen on their wing.

Hansen's great, he's constantly hustling and forechecks better than most of the team. But I don't think he's what the third line needs, unfortunately. I know Hansen has many supporters, and I count myself as one of them, but its clear one of the wingers on that third line needs to be moved around the roster.
Torres' puck management is as bad as anyone on the team and he's often lost when the play is deep in his own zone losing his check and just running around chasing the puck. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't playing on a line that started so many shifts in their own zone or had easier head to head matchups but that's not how he's currently being used.

IMO Torres would be most valuable to this team in a 4th line role opposite Glass. His questionable defensive game wouldn't be nearly as big an issue, he could focus on playing physical and would chip in more goals than you'll get from any other 4th line player.

If Cody Hodgson solidifies the 4th line centre position between now and the deadline hopefully Gillis looks for a 3rd line left wing that excels defensively and in a perfect world can carry the puck through the neutral zone. If the 3rd line is going to go head to head with the opposition's best on a nightly basis come playoff time they would be best served with another strong defensive presence to go along with Malhotra and Hansen. Mike Grier would be a good candidate for that roster spot though won't do anything to help get more goals from that line.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Obviously this depends on the games leading up to the deadline, but the alternate option is to actually drop Malhotra down to the 4th line and play him exclusively in defensive situations and on the PK (I doubt his ice-time would decrease much if at all), and bump Hodgson up to try to manufacture a third scoring line with Hansen. In that scenario you'd grab an additional defensive winger to play with Malhotra and Glass; since Jarkko Ruutu is the flavor of the day around here it would look like this:

Torres-Hodgson-Hansen
Ruutu-Malhotra-Glass

That looks like a grind/shutdown line to me right there; could be useful in match-up situations if we go deep in a series. Glass pounds, Ruutu agitates, and Malhotra checks and wins draws.

Again, it's not something I'm saying would work today necessarily, but we'll see how Hodgson develops here over the next 10 games or so. The way I see it working is the Hodgson line takes the bulk of the offensive zone draws whereas you always start the Malhotra group in our own end. The Malhotra line is also composed of veteran PK-types. And yes, I have a fairly high opinion of Glass' defensive play. The salary make-ups of Hodgson/Malhotra make this possible as Cody's entry level contract makes up for paying your 4th line centre a bit over market value.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Obviously this depends on the games leading up to the deadline, but the alternate option is to actually drop Malhotra down to the 4th line and play him exclusively in defensive situations and on the PK (I doubt his ice-time would decrease much if at all), and bump Hodgson up to try to manufacture a third scoring line with Hansen. In that scenario you'd grab an additional defensive winger to play with Malhotra and Glass; since Jarkko Ruutu is the flavor of the day around here it would look like this:

Torres-Hodgson-Hansen
Ruutu-Malhotra-Glass

That looks like a grind/shutdown line to me right there; could be useful in match-up situations if we go deep in a series. Glass pounds, Ruutu agitates, and Malhotra checks and wins draws.

Again, it's not something I'm saying would work today necessarily, but we'll see how Hodgson develops here over the next 10 games or so. The way I see it working is the Hodgson line takes the bulk of the offensive zone draws whereas you always start the Malhotra group in our own end.
I don't think Hodgson and Hansen on the third line together is what AV has in mind going into the playoffs. I think he will want a greater veteran presence and a much stronger center ice.

That said, I do like the idea of having Hodgson on a third line with Malholtra anchoring center ice. Torres and Hansen are interchangeable parts that can be moved up or down. I personally like the versatility Hansen gives our fourth line.

A trade deadline acquisition in the form of a fourth line center is what I would advocate for.

Torres- Malholtra- Hodgson
Glass- Trade- Hansen

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
David71

3rd line needs a puck carrier. malhotra/torres do not work well together at all.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I don't think Hodgson and Hansen on the third line together is what AV has in mind going into the playoffs. I think he will want a greater veteran presence and a much stronger center ice.

That said, I do like the idea of having Hodgson on a third line with Malholtra anchoring center ice. Torres and Hansen are interchangeable parts that can be moved up or down. I personally like the versatility Hansen gives our fourth line.

A trade deadline acquisition in the form of a fourth line center is what I would advocate for.

Torres- Malholtra- Hodgson
Glass- Trade- Hansen
I disagree- Hodgson - Malhotra - Hansen makes more sense at this point.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote