HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Clock on Avery has to be Ticking

Old
02-07-2011, 08:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
The Clock on Avery has to be Ticking

Let me preface this by saying I was a huge Avery supporter and felt that for the money they currently pay him, he's worthy of a 3rd or 4th line role. I have defended him for over three years now.But it's becoming painfully obvious that he adds to the high stupidity factor to this team. If there was anything more perplexing than his lack of goal scoring, it's that Torts played him a season-high 20-plus minutes against Florida, then played him no more than 10 mins in each of the next 3 games.

This guy just can't do anything right.

But I'm trying to figure out what purpose he has on this team. He has two goals in 55 games played. He'll probably finish the year with his typical 35-40 points (if he's lucky), but his offense isn't my concern.

He's become a huge defensive liability. Amazingly, he's a bigger liability with the puck in the offensive zone than he is without it in his own end. It's quite impossible to do, but Avery with the puck during a cycle actually serves to the advantage of the other team.

I counted four -- yes FOUR -- odd-man rushes his blind centering feeds created for the other team in the Devils game. I counted three in the Habs game. Tonight through two periods, his stupidity with the puck led to two odd-man rushes, and a shot in which he missed the net by a mile led to another.

I know he's a NYC fixture, and he will make life miserable for any team who desires who take a gamble on him. But in all honesty, when Fedotenko comes back, Avery should be benched or sent down to Hartford so he can at least try to put some sense into his game.

If you asked me, I'd say enjoy him as much as you can. It doesn't seem like he fits into the teams identity and plans moving forward.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I am tired of him and his ****** play he really has worn out his welcome and is not the same sean avery that we all fell in love with when he first came here

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:27 PM
SomE

he's currently bringing only slightly more than gaborik

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
^^^^ that is not that hard

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
^^^^ that is not that hard
But seriously. It really isn't right now.

----------

Avery's clock has been ticking, in my opinion. It's up to him to stop it.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:44 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I really don't think he serves a purpose on this team anymore.

When he was getting a lot of ice time, and was allowed to play his game then he was effective, now all I see him do is create a good scoring chance every now and again. Torts has put the clamps on him and I really don't think we need him anymore.

02-07-2011, 08:45 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Let me preface this by saying I was a huge Avery supporter and felt that for the money they currently pay him, he's worthy of a 3rd or 4th line role. I have defended him for over three years now.But it's becoming painfully obvious that he adds to the high stupidity factor to this team. If there was anything more perplexing than his lack of goal scoring, it's that Torts played him a season-high 20-plus minutes against Florida, then played him no more than 10 mins in each of the next 3 games.

This guy just can't do anything right.

But I'm trying to figure out what purpose he has on this team. He has two goals in 55 games played. He'll probably finish the year with his typical 35-40 points (if he's lucky), but his offense isn't my concern.

He's become a huge defensive liability. Amazingly, he's a bigger liability with the puck in the offensive zone than he is without it in his own end. It's quite impossible to do, but Avery with the puck during a cycle actually serves to the advantage of the other team.

I counted four -- yes FOUR -- odd-man rushes his blind centering feeds created for the other team in the Devils game. I counted three in the Habs game. Tonight through two periods, his stupidity with the puck led to two odd-man rushes, and a shot in which he missed the net by a mile led to another.

I know he's a NYC fixture, and he will make life miserable for any team who desires who take a gamble on him. But in all honesty, when Fedotenko comes back, Avery should be benched or sent down to Hartford so he can at least try to put some sense into his game.

If you asked me, I'd say enjoy him as much as you can. It doesn't seem like he fits into the teams identity and plans moving forward.
he should probably be the scratch when feds returns. i think prust has replaced his "role" on the roster.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:02 PM
OverTheCap

He was great tonight.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

i think hes been good this year. Hes not supposed to be the one scoring and has been asked much more than he should be this year.

Perfect 4th liner.

But hey blame avery when the team cant score

and he was our best player tonight

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Balej20*

Bad timing for this thread.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:06 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
i think hes been good this year. Hes not supposed to be the one scoring and has been asked much more than he should be this year.

Perfect 4th liner.

But hey blame avery when the team cant score

and he was our best player tonight
Ummm, two goals in 55 games. How is not part of the problem?

There are a lot of games where he gets scoring chances. What's the point if he can't even bury 10 percent of them?

Old
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
chip chipperson*

there are so many guys playing ****** right now and some people here think avery needs to go. unbelievable, why are we relying on avery to put up points? if avery has to go he should be taking 4 or 5 guys with him

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
NYR510

vCash: 1140
I want Avery to just be Avery again.

NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:08 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Perfect timing.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NikC

look how pathetic we've become. Avery was the best player. He couldn't hit the back end of a barn with a bananna. the guy is a hockey idiot. how many of these players do we need?

Avery should go fast.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ecemleafs

2nd among forwards on the team in assists despite having the least TOI per game among the regulars this year. GTFO this team u bum!!!!!!

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

HE WAS OUR BEST PLAYER TONIGHT.

He SINGLEHANDEDLY dragged the rangers back into the game with under five minutes to go.

Its not his fault the power play **** the bed. Thats not his job.

Gets an assist AND draws two power plays. He should have honestly drawn about 4-5 tonight as well but hey he's avery.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

my question is does this pop up if they rangers win tonight......why not blame the guy who busted his ass all game, was involved, and drew a huge power play at the end

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
lundy30

WOW....WOW ....WOW...WOW...

#16.....at least he wants to win...

lundy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Ummm, two goals in 55 games. How is not part of the problem?

There are a lot of games where he gets scoring chances. What's the point if he can't even bury 10 percent of them?
2 goals in 55 games (although, should be higher) would be a good stat for you to use if avery is known for his production... hes not, and hes not here to be a points leader, although he is among the top for assists

Old
02-07-2011, 09:13 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Have we really gotten to the point where we ignore an overall body of work and judge people on a game-by-game basis?

I'm looking at the big picture. I think it's time to move on. While I will never question Avery's work ethic or how much he cares for the franchise, city etc, you cant deny that the guyshould be replaced with Fedotenko.

That's all I'm advocating. For every great effort like he had tonight, he disappears and makes stupid plays the next 3 or 4 games.

He doesnt have the kind of impact he used to have on a nightly basis. It's more sporadic. because of that, i think he needs to sit when Fedotenko comes back. Fedotenko is much more versatile and reliable than Avery.

Old
02-07-2011, 09:13 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
look how pathetic we've become. Avery was the best player. He couldn't hit the back end of a barn with a bananna. the guy is a hockey idiot. how many of these players do we need?

Avery should go fast.
our team is full of hockey idiots?

Old
02-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

people who expect goals from sean avery know nothing about hockey, that is all.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

not a knee-jerk thing, I've said it before, he really is pointless with this current team. When he first came here this team was soft. He was basically the only guy who was tough to play against. Now, we have a tough team. We don't need him to compensate for any lack of toughness.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:16 PM
satrabyk

Eat your words buddy. I dont know what people want from Avery, its obvious he has great ability to change the game and has helped us greatly in many games this season and in previous years. How many guys on our offense are game changer, id say only Dubi, Avery and maybe Gabs against weaker not as tough teams. You should be careful what u wish for, Avery is an important player and will be down the stretch if used correctly i.e play with Dubinsky. U get rid of Avery and u see how far we go in the playoffs let alone even get into the playoffs.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote