HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread | Offseason Recon: Part V

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Broilers

vCash: 500
Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread | Offseason Recon: Part V

I read the following article. I am also eager to bring Thoresen back. We can give him 2-3 year deal around 1M IMO. His face off % can be used here and he can be inserted to the 3rd line center spot or at least he can compete with Cogs for the spot.

http://oilersnation.com/2011/2/7/bri...ctric-norseman

His statistics are amazing

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62297

Down side is that he is also small guy and we have enough them. But also we can start trading away some of them.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 02-08-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old
02-08-2011, 05:48 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Thoreson may not have the best size but he plays with passion which can be used to mentor the youth on this team.

Old
02-08-2011, 05:54 AM
HopelessOilFan

sorry its late/early and my reading skills are lacking.

Where does it say he's coming back to the oilers?

Old
02-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
sorry its late/early and my reading skills are lacking.

Where does it say he's coming back to the oilers?
I said

Old
02-08-2011, 06:47 AM
reckless_abandon

I wouldn't be surprised to see Florida, Tampa Bay or Nashville signing him to a 1 year deal to prove himself. I however do not see Thor being the answer for the Oilers next year. There are many 3rd line caliber players available as UFAs this year, and I can't see Edmonton not signing someone who has recent NHL experience. At this point in the rebuild, they need proven veterans who can help lead the youth, not experiments.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:57 AM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I said

Old
02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Wasn't O'Marra some sort of faceoff wizard in the AHL? Maybe it's time to get guys that can win draws in the NHL. I'd take Thoresen back, but by no means does that mean we shouldn't be bringing in proven NHL talent. Let Thoresen win a job.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:18 AM
copperandblue

Thoresen? Really?

This team doesn't have enough small guys that either won't go into the corner or aren't big enough to stay on their skates when they do?

KHL offence means sweet eff all when you look at all the problems that ail the Oilers.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:50 AM
0ilerman
The King

Looking at the current roster, I think he's an upgrade on Reddox, Fraser and Brule when he returns. I only bring in Thoresen if you drop two of the aforementioned. Oilers management won't

Old
02-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Giant Moo

What a misleading title.

Old
02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Looking at the current roster, I think he's an upgrade on Reddox, Fraser and Brule when he returns. I only bring in Thoresen if you drop two of the aforementioned. Oilers management won't
Even if that's true, are any of the guys listed good enough for what this team is supposed to be working towards?

Old
02-08-2011, 10:05 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
I would bring back reasoner before patrick

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
02-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Thoresen? Really?

This team doesn't have enough small guys that either won't go into the corner or aren't big enough to stay on their skates when they do?

KHL offence means sweet eff all when you look at all the problems that ail the Oilers.
Pretty much, an upgrade on Fraser but who isn't? I'd rather have Cogs and they'd be fighting for the same role. Gagner, Omark, Eberle, Cogliano, and maybe Reddox, that's enough little guys for one team. Personally I'd also take Brule over Thoresen if he could remain healthy. We need size and toughness and Thoresen brings neither.

02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
I don't see an issue with giving him a two-way deal that pays him well in the AHL. Would it be so bad to have him on the Barons?

Old
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Look at the other top player on that team in the KHL... Alexander Radulov.

You think just maybe it's Radulov that is the straw that stirs the drink on that team? Radulov is leading the entire KHL in scoring by a margin of 15 pts and has almost as many assists as anyone else has points.

I'm not saying that Thoreson doesn't have talent and that he hasn't improved since his stints with Edmonton and Philly in the NHL... but just be aware that his numbers in the KHL may be inflated somewhat because of Radulov.

If the Oilers felt he is worth a 2 way contract I wouldn't have a problem with that though. Thoreson should be close to the peak of his career at 27 and he's had 3 years of further development since he last played in the NHL so sure... if a deal can be worked out why not.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post

I read the following article. I am also eager to bring Thoresen back. We can give him 2-3 year deal around 1M IMO. His face off % can be used here and he can be inserted to the 3rd line center spot or at least he can compete with Cogs for the spot.

http://oilersnation.com/2011/2/7/bri...ctric-norseman
Jonathan Willis of OilersNation is way behind the times... Here is a topic thread I started more than eight months ago: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=Thoresen

Quote:
You don't win a Stanley Cup with your top two lines or just one pairing at defense.

You need 3rd & 4th line players who never hurt the team, who can provide their share of offense & who outperform their salaries.

Thoresen led the KHL in +/- this season; he was 5th highest in points.... The year prior, he led his Swiss team in points and +/-... We are not talking about an expensive 1st line player; we are looking at a 3rd line player to inexpensively replace what Moreau & Pisani used to do when they were healthy.
Thoresen played the KHL All Star game last week; he is presently 2nd in the league in goals; tied for 2nd in points; and is only 7 behind the top +/- player in the KHL.

His faceoff percentage is 55.6% in 432 attempts in the KHL this year....

Old
02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

If there's a player from the KHL the Oilers should be interested in it's Roman Cervenka. He's leading the KHL in goals and 2nd in points (tied with Thoreson) and he's a centre... 5'11" and 190 lbs and he's just 25 years old as well.. Not a huge player but not small either. He's a team mate of Jagr and is outscoring him.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
McEwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If there's a player from the KHL the Oilers should be interested in it's Roman Cervenka. He's leading the KHL in goals and 2nd in points (tied with Thoreson) and he's a centre... 5'11" and 190 lbs. Not a huge player but not small either. He's a team mate of Jagr and is outscoring him.
I've heard of this guy. Would be interesting but I don't think he would come over the pond.

I would take Marty Reasoner before Thoresen. However, if you can lock either of those three up for $900k on a two year two way deal you do it.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Look at the other top player on that team in the KHL... Alexander Radulov.

You think just maybe it's Radulov that is the straw that stirs the drink on that team? Radulov is leading the entire KHL in scoring by a margin of 15 pts and has almost as many assists as anyone else has points.

I'm not saying that Thoreson doesn't have talent and that he hasn't improved since his stints with Edmonton and Philly in the NHL... but just be aware that his numbers in the KHL may be inflated somewhat because of Radulov.
Let us pretend that is true.... And I believe that it might be true... Except for faceoffs (Thoresen clearly stirs the faceoff drink on that line)

We are not looking for Thoresen to play on our top line; we are not looking for him to lead the NHL in goals or +/-... We are not looking to pay him $6 million per season...

What the Oilers do need is a 3rd line centre who can win faceoffs, kill penalties plus chip in 15+ goals a season for approximately $1 million per year.

Considering that many of our present players get prime PP ice time - yet only five are projected to score more than 15 goals this season, only two of those are projected to score more than 20 goals...

Thoresen would be a major upgrade & a valuable piece of the puzzle...

Quote:

If there's a player from the KHL the Oilers should be interested in it's Roman Cervenka.
He was courted by Toronto; turned them down - then signed a two year contract with Avangard Omsk. So he is not available for the 2011 / 2012 season.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

i dunno, back to the future? maybe he can score a little more now, but, like Reddox, do we REALLY need HIM?

Old
02-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Oil Ever View Post

i dunno, back to the future? maybe he can score a little more now, but, like Reddox, do we REALLY need HIM?
Reddox scored no goals last season; he is on pace to score no goals this season; Reddox does not take or win faceoffs (34% success)...

Reddox is one of our bottom six that needs to be replaced with better talent for the Oilers to improve...

Old
02-08-2011, 01:33 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

^^no arguements there, but is Thoreson REALLY an improvement?

Old
02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271

Old
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

how about no!
Who is your Yes!......

Seriously - create a topic thread - justify your player with facts...

Old
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Oil Ever View Post

is Thoreson REALLY an improvement?
A guaranteed improvement over Reddox...

Closed Thread