HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Deadline Speculation

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2011, 08:42 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Trade Deadline Speculation

Thinking about this and I'm not sure that there's anyone out there that we can get that can provide the needed assistance that this team needs.

In the Western Conference, 9 points seperate Nashville (4th in the West) from St. Louis (14th in the west)

That means that the West is pretty wide open to no less than 11 teams.

I highly doubt that the teams below the mendoza line are going to look to make any moves that weaken their current position.

That leaves Edmonton as the only Western team that may be willing to trade. However, I do not want Horcoff and they are not trading Sam Gagner. Hemsky has been in the IR twice this season already and we already have a groin issue to worry about in Gaborik. Penner doesn't provide the type of assistance that this team needs.

As such I do not think that a deal with Edmonton makes much (if any) sense.

In the Eastern Conference, there seems to be a more clear cut grouping of teams that have a legit shot at the PO's.

4 points seperate the Rangers (7th) and Atlanta (9th) further to that 9 points seperate Rangers (7th) from Buffalo (10th)

Of the teams that are on the outside looking in, you can eliminate 2 teams immediately (Devils and Islanders) as they are not going to trade with the Rangers.

We have a small grouping of teams from which to trade with as of today (as the deadline gets closer things may change, but 52+ games in for the league I get the feeling that what we see here today is not going to be drastically different in less than 3 weeks.

The teams that we can work with are Ottawa, Toronto, and to a lesser extent Florida and Buffalo (6 and 5 points out of a PO spot respectively)

So I put it to you, who do you target?

For me I think I may take a flier on Tim Connolly. He's a UFA after this season and is a solid playmaking center when healthy. He shouldn't cost much in terms of assets heading the other way and if he doesn't pan out, no harm no foul.

I would pass on Fisher as he has anothe ryear after this one at a 4 millino cap hit. He signed a 5 year deal in September 2007, that contract runs out at the end of the 2012 season. The style he's employed may have taken it's toll on him physically. Additionally, he's not the playmaking center thsi team needs/requires

Weiss from Florida is an interesting target, a solid playmaking center with good goal scoring ability, cap hit is manageable beyond this year and he's still pretty young. I just do not see Florida trading their #1 center for anything less than package that would be to much for us to do.

The wildcard I believe is Jason Spezza.

If the Rangers feel that their chances are slim at signing Richards come July (cause Dallas is not trading him thsi year) then targeting Spezza may not be a bad idea if it means that we can shed Drury's contract in the process. However, it may not make sense for the Rangers to go after Spezza if the asking price includes names like Kreider, Stepan, Anisimov.

If Ottawa is truly in the rebuilding stages, then an offer of Grachev, Zuccs, Gilroy and out 1st should be enough to get a deal done.

Part of that would be the insistance that they also take Chris Drury so that we can fit the salary.

My preference is Richards, but Spezza is as good a playmaking center, he's a notch better goal scorer and he's 3 years younger. Brad Richards will be 31 in May, Spezza will be 28 in June.

Thoughts?

Old
02-08-2011, 09:04 AM
BrandNewDream

vCash: 500
I've said it before that I would love Spezza if the deal was there. He'd cost assets, but I think he'd fit in just fine here.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Spezza's a dynamic playmaker who will fit this teams need to the T. Unfortunately, the cost of acquiring him wouldn't make sense when a guy like Richards will be available asset-free in less than 5 months.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Spezza is set to be paid 7 million a year through 2015. If the Rangers acquired him they'd have to hope that he can bounce back from the injuries he has sustained these past 2 seasons. Are they willing to take that risk? They did with Gaborik.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Spezza's a dynamic playmaker who will fit this teams need to the T. Unfortunately, the cost of acquiring him wouldn't make sense when a guy like Richards will be available asset-free in less than 5 months.
I'd rather get the younger player to be honest...

Old
02-08-2011, 09:49 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Richards + assets(1st,2nd,grachev,mza,kreider or whatever they may be)>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spezza - assets(1st,2nd,grachev,mza,kreider or whatever they may be)

Old
02-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I'd rather get the younger player to be honest...
So would I, but would you give up numerous valuable assets for that player, instead of keeping those assets and adding an even better player for free?

Stepan/Anisimov
Dubi/Cally
Kreider/Grachev
McD/Mcilrath

Spezza's not going to come cheap. One of Steps/AA, and one of Dubi/Cally will likely be going to Ottawa for Spezza.

There is nothing more important to me than keeping this team together. We know who's a keeper, and who's not. Build around this team. Don't dismantle it.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I'm not sure Spezza's personality fits this team. I'd much rather have Richards, if we can get either.

As for getting the younger player -- Spezza is younger than Richards, but Richards is by no means old. Richards is in his prime and considering how young this team is already, adding a veteran isn't a bad idea -- especially one who's won the Cup.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Dorado*

Am I the only one that sees Grachev potentially developing into a Franzen type player . Big body good soft hands good shot . I would hate to see him turn into another Michael samuelson or Johan Franzen when hes 25 and has a couple of cup rings on another team or is he Brendl 2.0 . After all he did almost make the team last year out of camp , he did score a handful of goals in preseason last year if i recall .

Old
02-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

We are a first round underdog team, why are we targeting anyone? We should target Kreider and Thomas, that's who we should target. When they get here, we can start bringing people from the outside.

Old
02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Isn't Kurtis Foster a FA at the end of the year? The guy played well in Tampa on their PP. Has a nice shot from the point and I believe doesn't make too much. Might be worth looking into as a rental.

Old
02-08-2011, 10:58 AM
pld459666

My preference is to also sign Richards, however, I think it's a bit foolish to first assume that he will still be a UFA and he will sign with us.

I will never understand the mindset that assumes we are the only players out there that are willing and able to sign a player.

To me, the "we can just sign him for nothing come 07/01/11" is a bit arrogant and totally under estimating the financial climate for other teams.

While I am today and tomorrow always in favor of building from within, when you have a plethora of youth that we have, mving a few assets to get that asset that we have been unable to draft is not the end of the world.

losing a Grachev and Zucs and Gilroy doesn't put a slight dent in the youth movement. The asset that hurts the most is the 1st in 2011.

Basically you would be trading a 1st, a 3rd and two UFA signings for a legit #1 center.

If you could guarantee that we get richards as a UFA on 07/01/11, then I'm all for it.

No one can provide that guarantee.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
SomE

You don't win with Spezza leading the way.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
No to Spezza. Richards is better and will only cost money. No need to give up assets to acquire him. Also, Murray said he's not being moved, so he's not realistic.

Honestly, I don't see Sather making any big trades as of yet. Maybe a guy like Ales Hemsky could be brought in, but his injury woes make him undesirable.

@MisterUnspoken, Foster is a UFA at the end of NEXT year.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
02-08-2011, 11:07 AM
SomE

Foster is also a terrible hockey player guys. I don't care how much he would cost.. he's a poor man's Souray.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
My preference is to also sign Richards, however, I think it's a bit foolish to first assume that he will still be a UFA and he will sign with us.

I will never understand the mindset that assumes we are the only players out there that are willing and able to sign a player.

To me, the "we can just sign him for nothing come 07/01/11" is a bit arrogant and totally under estimating the financial climate for other teams.

While I am today and tomorrow always in favor of building from within, when you have a plethora of youth that we have, mving a few assets to get that asset that we have been unable to draft is not the end of the world.

losing a Grachev and Zucs and Gilroy doesn't put a slight dent in the youth movement. The asset that hurts the most is the 1st in 2011.

Basically you would be trading a 1st, a 3rd and two UFA signings for a legit #1 center.

If you could guarantee that we get richards as a UFA on 07/01/11, then I'm all for it.

No one can provide that guarantee.
Grachev, Zucs, and Gilroy = Richards? I don't think so . . .

What kind of message would trading Richards now send to the Dallas fanbase? They're going to ride him until the end of the season, and do whatever they can to re-sign him. Trading for Richards is not even an option, imo. You don't see teams in their position trading their best player for a bunch of kids that haven't proven anything.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Savard?

Old
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Buccigross had reported that Nieuwendyk told Richards he will not be traded this season....again, unrealistic, but it doesn't matter, considering he'll be signed by us in UFA.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Grachev, Zucs, and Gilroy = Richards? I don't think so . . .

What kind of message would trading Richards now send to the Dallas fanbase? They're going to ride him until the end of the season, and do whatever they can to re-sign him. Trading for Richards is not even an option, imo. You don't see teams in their position trading their best player for a bunch of kids that haven't proven anything.
I'm moving those assets for Spezza

I think that people forget how good Spezza is.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
You don't win with Spezza leading the way.
That's just silly right there. Scoring has been this teams achilles heel for years now, and that's exactly what Spezza provides. Not suggesting we trade for him, but some of you guys say the dumbest things.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Buccigross had reported that Nieuwendyk told Richards he will not be traded this season....again, unrealistic, but it doesn't matter, considering he'll be signed by us in UFA.
I don't think that he gets to 07/01/11

I think that Dallas is going to sign him before that date.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
I don't think that he gets to 07/01/11

I think that Dallas is going to sign him before that date.
I don't think Dallas can afford him financially.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
I'm moving those assets for Spezza

I think that people forget how good Spezza is.
Spezza would cost more than Richards. Your proposal isn't even close, imo.

Start with Stepan. Or AA. Probably Kreider/Mcilrath. Keep adding. Spezza will cost a boatload.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:15 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I don't think Dallas can afford him financially.
they are going to have more cap room than we are and have less RFA's to worry about.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:17 AM
SomE

Spezza is extremely talented.

People forget that he is constantly in the doghouse even while putting up points. There's a reason for that. He's the definition of a perimeter player. It's almost sick to watch sometimes. Sure he will help the team win a few games, but the ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup and I don't feel you can do that with Spezza as your guy.

Closed Thread