HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Would Ottawa Consider Dealing Alfredsson?

Old
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Sensfanman

vCash: 500
It would be stupid to do because showing respect for veterans of Alfie's magnitude is more important for our image, ticket sales, etc, than some prospects who may or may not do anything in the NHL. If Alfie was forced out of town, it'd reflect horribly on the franchise. Look at what Chara thought when Hossa was dealt with in a deplorable manner, with all our Swedish prospects, you treat Alfie with 100% respect. Only traded if he wants it and never even mentioned otherwise.

Fair return from a cup contender: late first + mid/high forward prospect.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
BigEyedPhish

Only way I think he should be dealt is if Murray asks him.. and he says yes. Which I don't think would ever happen...

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofydoofer08 View Post
Spezza won't be dealt, the owner said he wants to build the team around him.

hahaah and this is why the sens fail you cant build a team around jason spezza

It's not as easy as building around Sidney Crosby but if you put a couple finishers beside Spezza you'll see one of the better lines in hockey.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Why would the Bolts offer Stamkos for Alfredsson...

Alfie's return wouldn't be the greatest. Maybe a later 1st/early 2nd pick + a prospect/average player. (And that might be pushing it)

While trading him could help us in the future, the team is willing to sacrifice those potential assets to keep him here.

He if wants to stay in Ottawa or if he wants to play his last few years competing for the cup, it's entirely up to him.

Now if Millbury was still a GM... oh how Tavares would look good in a Sens uni.
Immaterial.

The point is, a GM needs to do what he thinks is best for his team.
One can and should never say, "He's untradeable" since you never know what offers you might get.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Skid

Trade him? We're gonna have a 1 year rebuild? Ya silfverberg is gonna get 20 goals regin will get 20 goals foligno will get 25 michalek will get 40 and RNH will be a 90 point guy. **** us sens fans are delusional. Trade that old *****

Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Trade him? We're gonna have a 1 year rebuild? Ya silfverberg is gonna get 20 goals regin will get 20 goals foligno will get 25 michalek will get 40 and RNH will be a 90 point guy. **** us sens fans are delusional. Trade that old *****
Obvious troll/Leaf fan is obvious.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:17 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Immaterial.

The point is, a GM needs to do what he thinks is best for his team.
One can and should never say, "He's untradeable" since you never know what offers you might get.
The difference is when people are saying he's "untradable", they are saying it based on the return he would most likely fetch.

If a team presents Murray with a trade that is a steal for us, I'm sure he would consider it and discuss it with the owner who also wants Alfredsson here.

As another poster mentioned, while the business aspect of it should be to get whatever value you can from Alfredsson before he retires, the loyalty and pride of having Alfredsson a Senator from start to finish is also something that sens fans will have. He's pretty much the face of this organization's return to the NHL.

If Alfie chooses to stay with Ottawa until the end of his career, then like most sens fans I'll be fine with that. While we miss out on potential assets, we can try and make up for that with the free cap space after he's done.

02-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Skid

I'm not a leaf fan. I'm starting to become one until that lispy piece of **** loses his job

Old
02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
SpezDispenser

Likely have to wait and see what the new GM has to say. Alfie's play this year has been pretty par, so the Sens wouldn't do it until he came back next year hopefully healthy.

That said, I seriously doubt he moves. And that goes doubly for Spezza, who's now the offensive catalyst the Sens will build around. I'm almost tempted to say that Alfie has a better chance of being traded than Spezza, it's just not happening.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Nagarachi

Quote:
I'm not a leaf fan. I'm starting to become one until that lispy piece of **** loses his job
Yes... things are going much better in leaf land

Nagarachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Lukus

Alfie will only be traded if he asks or offers management his blessing if they so wish to trade him to a contender.

Would management trade him to contender if the return was laughable? I don't know... probably not unless Alfie expressed a desire to win a cup badly before retirement.

That would put management in a tough spot because his experience and on-ice contribution is still worth alot to this team, despite what most wannabe GMs think outside of Ottawa.

My personal wish is for Alfie to get what he wants, whether that is here or on another team... he deserves it.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Find me one quote by any Senators fan that's said that.

Pyke often hypes our players to the max but I don't think even he has said anything remotely close to this.

If you want to talk **** without backing it up, head over to TSN's comments section and add your opinions there.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
ProdigalOne*

If they can get better than a 20th overall for him they should take it. Or a young roster player. Sens fans need to realize him being on the sens will just slow down any potentially rebuild... give him a chance at a cup like he deserves.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
The question with an Alfie trade is not:

Would the Sens trade Alfie, but;

Would Alfie want to be traded.
This. The only way Alfie gets moved is if he explicitly asks for a trade for a shot at a cup. Which I can say with 99.9% confidence will never happen. He loves Ottawa and Ottawa loves him. Barring a massive, massive overpayment by some team, the notion of trading him should not even be considered.

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Topside

If he wants to, then yes. Otherwise, not for any package in the league, and yes I mean that. It's his call to make after everything he's done for the organization.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Skid

Or what senetaur? Are you gonna take my birthday away? We aren't turning this piece of **** franchise around in one year. Murray is a retard, melnyks a drunk and cc's parents are brother and sister. We're the oldest team in the league and we're ****** has hell. Why would we want to keep alfie? Is he going to have a comeback season as a 39 year old? Give it up guys. Make this turnaround as quick as possible and get something for alfie

Old
02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Or what senetaur? Are you gonna take my birthday away? We aren't turning this piece of **** franchise around in one year. Murray is a retard, melnyks a drunk and cc's parents are brother and sister. We're the oldest team in the league and we're ****** has hell. Why would we want to keep alfie? Is he going to have a comeback season as a 39 year old? Give it up guys. Make this turnaround as quick as possible and get something for alfie
Sens managment doesnt decide if they trade alfie, Alfie has all the control here, he has a NMC in his contract. No I dont want another Heatley fiasco in Ottawa, and I think they should do whatever Alfie wants, not them

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:56 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
I think I sum up MOST Sens fans viewpoint on trading Alfie (the quoted poster below aside, I don't think he/she is a real Sens fan anyway) when I say this : If Alfie wants to go to a team that is a Cup contender, I'd trade him for anything the other team will give me. If he doesn't want to leave Ottawa (and we know he doesn't), I wouldn't trade him for any (and I DO mean any) player/package in the league. And yes, I'm deadly serious. If Pitt called up offering Malkin, Crosby, and their first rounders until the year 3000, and Alfie didn't want to be traded, I call Pitt up and say thanks but no thanks.

Quote:
Dude, chill the **** out.
Learn some manners, and develop a sense of loyalty. Alfie has earned the right to call his shot.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
If he wants to, then yes. Otherwise, not for any package in the league, and yes I mean that. It's his call to make after everything he's done for the organization.
I guarantee if he was offered Stamkos or Crosby for him he'd do the deal. Yeah he's done a lot for the org but this is a business not just a game. General Managers have to do what's right for the team not Daniel Alfredsson.

Anyone thinking otherwise imo is in a dream world. Now obviously I know that offer would never come to form but if your GM got an offer for Alfy that he thinks would help the team now and in the future he'd at the bare minimum ask Alfy if he'd mind it.

Depending on how good the offer he wouldn't even ask but like I said not saying they would offer Stamkos for him, but you said any deal.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:03 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senataur View Post
Find me one quote by any Senators fan that's said that.

Pyke often hypes our players to the max but I don't think even he has said anything remotely close to this.

If you want to talk **** without backing it up, head over to TSN's comments section and add your opinions there.
Props on this post, made me laugh. (The last line the TSN part)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Now tell us how you really feel.

The thing is, keeping Alfredsson IMO outweighs the merits of dealing him. Building a contending team is more complicated than just dumping all your old guys and getting young ones.

Alfie's not going to bring back a king's ransom at this stage in his career and with a non-rental contract, though if this team's system was any good and if Spezza had stayed healthy his numbers would probably be a lot better.

Dealing him alienates the fanbase and the young players (especially the Swedes). Keeping him means more fans come to the rink, gives the kids a wonderful mentor figure (and the team an excellent hockey player), and maybe most importantly allows the organization to keep its sense of culture even during a difficult time. I think that has a positive mental effect on the players and makes the team more attractive to free agents, though even then it's not particularly attractive.

Anyway, Alfie gets dealt if he wants to get dealt, but we're not going to try to move him.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalOne View Post
If they can get better than a 20th overall for him they should take it. Or a young roster player. Sens fans need to realize him being on the sens will just slow down any potentially rebuild... give him a chance at a cup like he deserves.
Sens fans need to realize it's up to him. Sens fans accept this and don't complain about it. Don't trade the guy for a future 2nd line player...no one wants to see that.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalOne View Post
I wasn't in disagreement with you until you wrote that stupidity. Alfie's contribution on and off the ice would be beneficial to any rebuilding team. All rebuilding teams need a leader that the young players can look up to and learn from. Who better than Alfie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
Well now, don't be naive... even Alfie would tell the GM he'd be crazy not to pull the trigger on a deal involving a bonifide elite player. No one would offer that but point is, there could be an offer out there that would be worthwhile and I'm pretty sure even Alfie would give his blessing to in order to help the team one last time.

Quote:
We're the oldest team in the league and we're ****** has hell. Why would we want to keep alfie? Is he going to have a comeback season as a 39 year old? Give it up guys. Make this turnaround as quick as possible and get something for alfie
I had to crop your crap down to a tolerable size. Just to prove you don't know WTF you are talking about, Sens are the 5th oldest team in the league. A full 2 years younger than Detroit who's the oldest in the league but that doesn't seem to slow them down, does it?

Mark Recchi, scored only 14 goals at age 40 after averaging in the mid-20s prior to that, yet he bounced back to score 23 the following year. Give Alfie a finisher and he'll bounce back.

Old
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Skid

Alright lukus I'll design you an alfredsson art ross avatar.

Old
02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Alright lukus I'll design you an alfredsson art ross avatar.
That's all you could come with... another exaggeration?