HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston interested in Tomas Kaberle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
  #76
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Ugh, I still think Wheeler could be a legit top six guy but if the leafs offered Wheeler for Kaberle it would be so hard not to accept. Kaberle is worth far more than Wheeler.

Would never happen though.
so first you say there is no way you'd give anything of vaue to get kabere, THEN you say he's worth way more then wheeler which is it?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:20 AM
  #77
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
that's because burke doesn't want picks. maybe if you knew a little about the situation you wouldn't make yourself look like an azz
Why doesnt he want picks?

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
  #78
MoreMogilny
Cap'n
 
MoreMogilny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
so first you say there is no way you'd give anything of vaue to get kabere, THEN you say he's worth way more then wheeler which is it?
I think he meant things like 1st round picks or top prospects, or a combination of both.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
  #79
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Why ? All players sign a NTC because they like where they're at ? Some do, but a lot sign so they don't get traded to a ******, bottom feeder team. Some players want a chance at the cup.

If Kaberle really liked Toronto so much, he'd allow himself to be dealt, to help the leafs out, then come back in the summer.

He gets a chance to play for the cup.
Leafs get picks and/or prospects to help with their rebuild.
Leafs get Kaberle back in the off-season

Win, Win, Win.

I don't see the problem, there.
Well there is the issue of collusion if that was found out by the league to be a predetermined plan between Kaberle and the Leafs.

If Kaberle is gone he's gone, as far as I'm concerned.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
  #80
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,990
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
that's because burke doesn't want picks. maybe if you knew a little about the situation you wouldn't make yourself look like an azz
Burke is an absolute fool if he "doesn't want" picks. You build through the draft, that's been proven. And he's letting his ego get in the way of correctly building the Leafs.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:22 AM
  #81
CamFan81
Derp
 
CamFan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1947456 View Post
to Boston
Kaberle

To Toronto

Toronto 1st
Brad Marchand

for a guy that will be available this summer

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:22 AM
  #82
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 14,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
wheeler and a 2nd, imo
Truthfully...I was coming in to say just this. I think that's a deal that gets it done...maybe not tomorrow, but as Burke gets closer to the deadline, and closer to realizing he's not going to get Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, and a 1st rounder for Kaberle, I think this is what the deal comes down to if it's made.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
  #83
MoreMogilny
Cap'n
 
MoreMogilny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Why doesnt he want picks?
He said that he doesn't want things like 2nd round picks. According to Lebrun though, the Leafs are now willing to accept draft picks.

Burke is trying his hardest to get players that can play now, he isn't looking to a few years down the road.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
  #84
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
so first you say there is no way you'd give anything of vaue to get kabere, THEN you say he's worth way more then wheeler which is it?
When talking about a great D man like Kaberle, Wheeler is not something of value, sorry thought people could read between the lines on that one...

The TOR 1st, BOS 1st, Colborne etc. are valuable.

And yes, Kaberle is >>>>>>>>> Wheeler

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
  #85
Gutless
Registered User
 
Gutless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
I don't see Boston giving up a 1st and a good prospect. It would be a 2nd and a good prospect or a first and an OK prospect.

A UFA to be isn't worth what equates to 2 first round picks though.
Fair enough, but Burke is probably convinced, as am I, that Kaberle will re-sign with the team that acquires him at the deadline. Of course, that depends on Kaberle receiving a fair contract offer, and I'm not sure the Bruins can do that given their cap situation. He's a pretty loyal guy, so if the Leafs decide to trade him (he will take it as them moving in another direction without him) he will try his hardest to make a deal with his new home and team.

I would do a 2nd and a good prospect so long as if Kaberle does re-sign with Boston the 2nd is turned into Boston's 1st. So the pick in this case would be conditional on Kaberle signing or not. It's a fair deal regardless of what happens. You get a rental player to make a cup run and you give up a 2nd, or you have him for a cup run and sign a need to a long term deal and give up a 1st.

Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
  #86
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
This won't happen because Burke will ask for a higher price to Boston than any other team.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:25 AM
  #87
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This won't happen because Burke will ask for a higher price to Boston than any other team.
As he should.

No way this happens.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
  #88
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,430
vCash: 500
Kaberle going to Boston makes a lot of sense for a deal centered around Wheeler.

Kaberle has a NTC and has refused to waive it in the past because of family concerns. He wants to remain close to his family and ideally in the same city as them.

Burke has not appeared overly interested in resigning Kaberle and Wilson for most of his time here doesn't appear to trust Kaberle in 5 on 5 play because of how soft he plays. But Kaberle is an elite puck moving Dman with his greatest asset being how he carries the puck up and gains the blueline on the power play with relative ease. Boston doesn't have a very good powerplay this year and have really missed Marc Savard being able to play the point opposite Chara this year.

Kaberle staying in the general vicinity of Toronto limits the number of teams he would accept a trade to. The teams interested in acquiring him as a pending UFA further limits the pool. With regular flights between Boston and Toronto and being in the same time zone Boston appears to be one of the ideal landing spots for him.

Toronto desperately needs a top 2 center preferably one with speed to keep up with Kessel. Blake Wheeler has been playing center this year at times, has great speed, is a close friend of Kessels and has shown offensive flash. Keep in mind he gets very little power play time and his caphit makes him the ideal player to be traded out of Boston.

Something like Wheeler plus a conditional pick (Boston 1st if Kaberle resigns, 2nd if he doesn't) for Kaberle would appear to work.

Boston gets the ideal puck mover for there team to make a playoff push and Toronto gets a player that can jump up to a top 6 role on a fairly cheap contract and gain additional cap space and a draft pick.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
  #89
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!
 
IrishPaulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Woostah
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
He said that he doesn't want things like 2nd round picks. According to Lebrun though, the Leafs are now willing to accept draft picks.

Burke is trying his hardest to get players that can play now, he isn't looking to a few years down the road.
It's going to be tough asking deadline buyers for any form of significant roster players. I honestly don't have a clue what goes through Burke's head.

I'm still willing to do Wheeler and a 2nd.

Question Mogilny: Do you think Kabs will actually resign with the Leafs this summer?

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
  #90
Retsmra2010*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Burke is more apt to try to get Krejci or Lucic. Those are the most pressing needs and he won't get either. He's not going to take a middling prospect, a third-liner, or a mediocre draft pick. There really is no fit i don't think unless Boston overpays.

Retsmra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
  #91
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs
 
Bruinsfan_37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This won't happen because Burke will ask for a higher price to Boston than any other team.
That's what I think as well. Would be funny if we sign Kaberle this summer and don't need to give anything back to TO

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:28 AM
  #92
gabeliscious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,572
vCash: 500
i think it is reasonable to assume that the only way burke would trade kaberle to boston was if there were an overpayment.

boston is obviously not trading torontos first round pick back to them and burke obviously has not shown an appreciation for draft picks so i would assume would want a roster player with upside and a good prospect.

i would consider wheeler and colbourne for kaberle.

boston fans can ***** about the value but at the end of the day wheeler/colbourne are much easier to replace then kaberle.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:28 AM
  #93
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it
 
TCDaniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1947456 View Post
to Boston
Kaberle

To Toronto

Toronto 1st
Brad Marchand
Woah! - I just nearly schatt myself!

TCDaniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:28 AM
  #94
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsmra2010 View Post
It's actually nothing like that at all. You see, in order to use a metaphor you first need to understand the basics of hockey and contract when those are the two subjects in contention.

It is very possible an extension can be worked out prior to a trade while it is nearly impossible for a player to become ridiculously good at something they've never been good at.

kaberle WILL NOT be traded without an extension in place with the receiving team. End of story. So, either he tentatively agrees to terms with Boston or he doesn't get moved to Boston. thus, it's futile to discuss it under any other assumptions.

Can you wrap your head around this or not?
It doesn't work like that. Can you wrap your head around that?

But if you want to play fantasy trade day, here's how that one would pan out. Boston offers less then they would for Kaberle as a UFA because Burke has essentially just whittled the trade market down to 1 team. If Kaberle likes the dollar figure and term Boston just offered, and he likes his chances with Boston he simply tells Burke that's where I'm going, either now or in the offseason. Unless of course all the teams on Kaberle's specific list want to obtain his services for the long run, and are willing to match his contract demands as well, all while offering more then Boston does.

Honestly, I don't think he gets moved because I think BB asks for more then he's worth once again. Then Leaf nation blows up in the offseason when he signs elsewhere, somewhere where he won't be talked about in trade rumors every other day.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
  #95
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i think it is reasonable to assume that the only way burke would trade kaberle to boston was if there were an overpayment.

boston is obviously not trading torontos first round pick back to them and burke obviously has not shown an appreciation for draft picks so i would assume would want a roster player with upside and a good prospect.

i would consider wheeler and colbourne for kaberle.boston fans can ***** about the value but at the end of the day wheeler/colbourne are much easier to replace then kaberle.
Thats cool, PC and Neely wouldn't, let alone Colborne for Kaberle straight up.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:34 AM
  #96
DuklaNation
Registered User
 
DuklaNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Toronto should go after Boston's 1st not their own, thats more realistic. I wouldnt re-sign Kaberle anyways if I was Burke. Get what you can for him now and let him know you wont re-sign him. If he doesnt waive the NTC, play him 5 min/game.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
  #97
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Honestly...

If Kaberle is signed for 4 years at 16-18 million at the time of the trade (ie- sign and trade as Kaberle said he wanted an extention)

I would do

Tor 1st

for

Kaberle (signed at 4 years for cap hit 4.5 or lower)

I know some people will balk and say ridiculous.... fact is, it is difficult to find a good PMD, as well as someone who can eat up 20 mins a night... Kaberle is a great #2 defenseman, he isn't a #1 guy, but we don't need that... we have a top 3 defender, just no one in that #2 slot and we have an average #3 in Seidenberg, the rest are all #4 dmen... this would increase our defensive depth hugely!!!

Boston is on the cusp of making a cup contender... having a signed Kaberle for the next 4 years at a decent cap hit will go along way to help them... as well as those potential Bruin fans complaining about my proposal... Kessel trade becomes Kessel for Knight, Seguin and Kaberle... not bad, considering it was to be Kaberle + 7th overall

I am sure once Boston fans see a dman who can carry the puck out of the zone and avoid opposing teams forecheck they will like the deal... once Toronto finishes bottom 5 and have their own pick, their fans will like the deal too... it makes a lot of sense.

If no deal in that regard can be struck to an extension and its strictly a rental Kaberle....

Wheeler + conditional 2nd (conditional 2nd becomes Boston 1st if Kaberle re-signs with Boston)

for

Kaberle


Last edited by Seguins Dragon*: 02-08-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
  #98
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
How badly does Boston want to win now?

Burke will ask for his own first rounder back, probably won't get it but he doesn't have to trade Kaberle.
IMO, Burke has to get that Toronto pick back if Kaberle is traded to Boston.

98.5 The Sports Hub is The Bruins (and Patriots) Radio Network, they have been talking about this most of the morning. The agreement is Kaberle is not coming to Boston for anything short of Toronto's pick.

I want Kaberle but giving up that pick would be tough to take. If Kaberle helped carry Boston to The Finals, I would consider that a fair deal. Anything short of that I would not be happy. Huge risk for Boston.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
  #99
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
How many times does it have to be said? TOMAS KABERLE IS NOT GOING TO GET A FIRST ROUND PICK VIA TRADE. If he was he would have got it two years ago or last year. He most certainly isn't going to get it this year as a UFA rental.

He has been on the block for the past 3 years and no one has given a first for him why the hell would they do it no that he is a rental?
Who's to say he didn't? Burke or other GMs never said "Deal". Especially last offseason when Burke wanted a 1st, top 6 player, top prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if a 1st was offered, Burke just ended up asking for more.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
  #100
MoreMogilny
Cap'n
 
MoreMogilny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
It's going to be tough asking deadline buyers for any form of significant roster players. I honestly don't have a clue what goes through Burke's head.

I'm still willing to do Wheeler and a 2nd.

Question Mogilny: Do you think Kabs will actually resign with the Leafs this summer?
Really tough to say. I certainly would like him to. I would even rather see him re-sign with the Leafs than be traded, because once he is gone, the Leafs are going to be in a lot of trouble with their transition game.

With no talks of a contract extension, and with all that Kaberle has gone through over the past while here on the Leafs (never ending rumours and speculation) it may have left the Kaberle camp with a very sour taste in their mouths. Kaberle has always insisted he wants to remain a Leaf for the rest of his career, and i would like to think that sentiment has stayed the same, but i have a feeling he may move on.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.