HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Speculation

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
  #26
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,863
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
they are going to have more cap room than we are and have less RFA's to worry about.
Doesn't their ownership have financial woes?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
  #27
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,438
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
they are going to have more cap room than we are and have less RFA's to worry about.
Cap room doesn't matter to Dallas.

Actual money is more important. I don't think they have the financial security to lock up Richards long term.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
  #28
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,303
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Spezza would cost more than Richards.
Anything more than Grachev, Zuccs, Gilroy and a 1st then I walk.

Again, they are also going to have to take on the Drury contract.

He's had a bad 2 years, but overall he's not a bad player.

He can bring his leadership skills and intangibles to Ottawa during their transition period.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
  #29
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,438
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Doesn't their ownership have financial woes?
Yes, they do. That's what I was getting at.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:22 AM
  #30
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,303
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Cap room doesn't matter to Dallas.

Actual money is more important. I don't think they have the financial security to lock up Richards long term.
yet they have been the ones initiating extension talks with Richards camp?

I understand that they may have some $$ issues, but when you have a player like Richards, you sign him and move the Ribeiro's of the world. You allow Langenbrunner to walk or sign him at a reduced rate.

the difference in 3rd in the conference and playoff money and 13th in conference and no playoff revenue is Brad Richards.

The PO revenue alone is reason enough to sign him.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:25 AM
  #31
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Spezza is extremely talented.

People forget that he is constantly in the doghouse even while putting up points. There's a reason for that. He's the definition of a perimeter player. It's almost sick to watch sometimes. Sure he will help the team win a few games, but the ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup and I don't feel you can do that with Spezza as your guy.
This team has a number of roleplayers that excel defensively. Most of our guys are good in their own zone. Dubi, Cally, AA, Prust, Boyle, Fedetenko. Wolski, MZA, Gaborik, Prospal, and Avery aren't liabilities defensively. A guy who knows how to generate scoring chances is exactly what this team needs. We can afford a rather one-dimensional player.

Spezza isn't terrible in his own zone either. Let's not stretch things here.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
  #32
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
Regarding Richards, maybe I didn't see this earlier in the year but why does he want out of Dallas? They have a great offensive top six/nine, and a damn good goaltender in Keri (who has his injury problems but none the less). Their defense I don't know enough about and is probably their weakness.

The only reasons i see him wanting to come to NY is playing for his old coach and living in NYC. How are we, overall, a better team with richards than dallas with richards? I feel it is close, but if that's the case why come here?

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
  #33
SomE
Registered User
 
SomE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Let's get smart here. Why even consider trading for Spezza when they have a chance to get Richards(who is 10 times the player) in the offseason for nothing?

The Rangers aren't winning it this season anyways

SomE is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
  #34
BrandNewDream
Registered User
 
BrandNewDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Guys, I think OP is presuming this based on the idea that Richards will re-sign in Dallas.

BrandNewDream is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
  #35
SomE
Registered User
 
SomE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Well, getting Spezza while shedding Drury is a no-brainer.

But won't happen.

SomE is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
  #36
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
This franchise is finally on the right course of developing young talent. Unfortunately this course is long, has pitfalls called losing streaks, and requires a lot of patience.

Sather should not be trading one young asset, either player or draft pick, for older players. If anything he should still be looking to acquire young talent.

Wait and let that talent develop, and then at free agent time wait and see what you can spend to fill in the gaps. If AND ONLY IF you feel this team is one or two players away from truly contending for the Cup, then you may have to sacrifice something...but until then, we stay the course.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:40 AM
  #37
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,303
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Regarding Richards, maybe I didn't see this earlier in the year but why does he want out of Dallas? They have a great offensive top six/nine, and a damn good goaltender in Keri (who has his injury problems but none the less). Their defense I don't know enough about and is probably their weakness.

The only reasons i see him wanting to come to NY is playing for his old coach and living in NYC. How are we, overall, a better team with richards than dallas with richards? I feel it is close, but if that's the case why come here?
you have a point.

There's no guarantee that 1) he gets to UFA ststus and 2) he signs with us.

With the salary cap problems that we are going to have this summer (Redden and Drury plus re-signing our RFA's) the odds are actually stacked against us even being able to sign him.

I'd prefer Richards to Spezza, but that's just because Richards knows Torts system and has excelled under it.

However, Spezza is the better offensive player and the fact that he is so underrated on this board is kind of surprising.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
  #38
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Let's get smart here. Why even consider trading for Spezza when they have a chance to get Richards(who is 10 times the player) in the offseason for nothing?

The Rangers aren't winning it this season anyways
I've said the same thing numerous times. I wouldn't consider trading for Spezza. Or Richards. There aren't many players in the league I would sell the farm for.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
  #39
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
per thefourthperiod.com (part of the article saying the rangers dont want souray):

-The Rangers have also been scouting the Toronto Maple Leafs lately and could have their eyes set on defensemen Tomas Kaberle and Francois Beauchemin.

RGY is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
  #40
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,303
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Guys, I think OP is presuming this based on the idea that Richards will re-sign in Dallas.
Not totally.

I am looking at this with the understanding that:

We are not the only team that is going to want to sign Brad Richards.

We are not the only team that is going to be willing to pay him buku bucks.

There's been no indication that he has any desire to play here whereas he himself has stated a desire to play in Toronto.

We are going to have some serious cap issues this summer when Redden's 6.5 comes back to haunt us.

We are going to have a devil of a time signing all of our RFA's which is usually done after the UFA rush of signings.

Assuming we sign Richards, what happens if we are not in position to match an offer sheet that one of Dubi, Callahan, Anisimov signs?

There's to many variables of going into the summer with the hops that we sign Richards for nothing but money. It's not a smart plan.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:59 AM
  #41
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
Kaberle added two more assists last night to his season totals in the win over Atlanta. One of those assists came on the PP bringing him to 21 PPA this season.

RGY is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:59 AM
  #42
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
per thefourthperiod.com (part of the article saying the rangers dont want souray):

-The Rangers have also been scouting the Toronto Maple Leafs lately and could have their eyes set on defensemen Tomas Kaberle and Francois Beauchemin.
No to Beauchemin, I'd rather have Rozsival back than Beauchemin.

TrollololBoyle is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
  #43
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
No to Beauchemin, I'd rather have Rozsival back than Beauchemin.
I dont want him either. For the last two weeks I have been pining for interest in Kaberle. Some fans here dont want him because he would cost too much, which I can respect. However, there have been some who have tried to claim he would not help this team. He is hot right now and having a great season.

RGY is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
  #44
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not totally.

I am looking at this with the understanding that:

We are not the only team that is going to want to sign Brad Richards.

We are not the only team that is going to be willing to pay him buku bucks.

There's been no indication that he has any desire to play here whereas he himself has stated a desire to play in Toronto.

We are going to have some serious cap issues this summer when Redden's 6.5 comes back to haunt us.

We are going to have a devil of a time signing all of our RFA's which is usually done after the UFA rush of signings.

Assuming we sign Richards, what happens if we are not in position to match an offer sheet that one of Dubi, Callahan, Anisimov signs?

There's to many variables of going into the summer with the hops that we sign Richards for nothing but money. It's not a smart plan.
I don't remember him saying that he wanted to play in Toronto, but rather that was a place that he'd consider as it's the 'center of the hockey universe', and everyone 'wants to play there'. Sort of like the Yankees in baseball.

TrollololBoyle is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
  #45
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
No to Spezza.

Don't care how skilled he is. He's another disinterested player being vastly overpaid.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
  #46
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
They should look into Stephen Weiss.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
  #47
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,438
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
They should look into Stephen Weiss.
No.

He's incredibly redundant with what we already have. A 1B center. No more of those.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 12:19 PM
  #48
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
They should look into Stephen Weiss.
Agreed. I'd be perfectly fine with Weiss.

I dont think grabovski is available as he is being talked about in the other thread, however, for forwards this is what i would be interested in:

Weiss, Grabovski.....Hemsky and Kovalev (to lessser extents, one dealing with injuries, the latter would be cheap)

For defense:

Kaberle, McCabe, Pitkanen (but carolina is taking the 8th spot imo)

RGY is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 12:19 PM
  #49
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,303
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I don't remember him saying that he wanted to play in Toronto, but rather that was a place that he'd consider as it's the 'center of the hockey universe', and everyone 'wants to play there'. Sort of like the Yankees in baseball.
I know he was asked a specific question about a specific team and answered that question about that team, however the point remains, there are teams out there that can offer him the same amount of money, probably more and the quote from his mouth was that Toronto's always a No. 1 destination.

Could I be reading into that a little much, probably.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
  #50
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
They should look into Stephen Weiss.
I like Weiss, but to me, he's not the 1st line center this team needs.

TrollololBoyle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.