HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston interested in Tomas Kaberle

Old
02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Eennad142

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i think it is reasonable to assume that the only way burke would trade kaberle to boston was if there were an overpayment.
boston is obviously not trading torontos first round pick back to them and burke obviously has not shown an appreciation for draft picks so i would assume would want a roster player with upside and a good prospect.
i would consider wheeler and colbourne for kaberle.
boston fans can ***** about the value but at the end of the day wheeler/colbourne are much easier to replace then kaberle.
Kaberle's 25 hits for this entire season and -8 rating is irreplaceable?

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
veedubn1

Wheeler plays soft. If he was a physical winger with upside it'd be a different story. But from what I've seen, he's been outplayed by a 43 year old (granted, Recchi is a likely HOFer) and he doesn't use his body effectively in the corners or in front of the net.

Wheeler hasn't been able to take a step forward the past two years... why exactly would Toronto bolster Boston's odds at a cup this year for a player who is destined to remain in a bottom 6 role.

Boston fans claiming he will one day be a top 6 player (on a good team) is equally as ridiculous as Toronto fans claiming Bozak belongs on the top 2 lines of an NHL team.

Boston has two options when it comes to Kaberle.

Either trade for him now and sacrifice their own 1st rounder (Leaf fans asking for their own 1st round back is ridiculous) and a prospect and make the most out of one of Chara's and Thomas' last few productive seasons (time waits for no man).. Kaberle won't go anywhere without an extension so I think that's a safe trade for Boston.

OR go into the playoffs with what they have, which currently isn't good enough to get them past the 2nd round.

Getting a lesser PMD somewhere else will still cost you a pick/prospect but there is no other defenseman currently on the market who can give the B's the boost on the blueline they desire.

Boston can pay Kaberle slightly less than what Gonchar got last summer when he becomes a free agent if they feel like it (Toronto won't). I'm perfectly fine with Kaberle riding out the season in Toronto and moving on after the season if we can't get something meaningful in return.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
hockeystick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Honestly...

If Kaberle is signed for 4 years at 16-18 million at the time of the trade (ie- sign and trade as Kaberle said he wanted an extention)

I would do

Tor 1st

for

Kaberle (signed at 4 years for cap hit 4.5 or lower)

I know some people will balk and say ridiculous.... fact is, it is difficult to find a good PMD, as well as someone who can eat up 20 mins a night... Kaberle is a great #2 defenseman, he isn't a #1 guy, but we don't need that... we have a top 3 defender, just no one in that #2 slot and we have an average #3 in Seidenberg, the rest are all #4 dmen... this would increase our defensive depth hugely!!!

Boston is on the cusp of making a cup contender... having a signed Kaberle for the next 4 years at a decent cap hit will go along way to help them... as well as those potential Bruin fans complaining about my proposal... Kessel trade becomes Kessel for Knight, Seguin and Kaberle... not bad, considering it was to be Kaberle + 7th overall

If no deal in that regard can be struck to an extension and its strictly a rental Kaberle....

Wheeler + conditional 2nd (conditional 2nd becomes Boston 1st if Kaberle re-signs with Boston)

for

Kaberle
Pretty reasonable I think considering the circumstances.

hockeystick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
pspot

id be shocked if TO got their pick back

extended Kaberle and maybe versteeg for wheeler as inclusions

but even just thinking of the possibility of getting that pick back is tough

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
tpc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
It's going to be tough asking deadline buyers for any form of significant roster players. I honestly don't have a clue what goes through Burke's head.

I'm still willing to do Wheeler and a 2nd.

Question Mogilny: Do you think Kabs will actually resign with the Leafs this summer?
Wheeler and a 2nd is not worth it to Toronto.
Kaberle has been VERY good this year. He is doing what he always does offensively, but has been very effective defensively this year as well. (As good as it's been in several years).

In addition, he is the only Dman with his type of qualities (Offensive minded) in our lineup, which makes his even more valuable to us.

Furthermore, we aren't restrained by the Cap. Sure, he will likely require a minor raise.

However, Giguere's 6mil comes off the books.

Schenn re-signs for nothing much more than his current cap hit including bonuses. ( Around 3.5)

Bozak re-signs for less of a cap hit with his current bonuses.

Plus, we already have about 4 mil of cap space as we stand today, and im sure the Maximum cap will increase again nex season.

You have to see it from our point of view. We have no cap issues and he is a damn good dman.

Our offense have turned out to be decent this year, and we only need 1 piece to add while letting our guys improve internally.

I would rather move Beauch for whatever we can get, re-sign Kabs, then let our players and prospects continue developing and hope for a guy like Laich to hit UFA. He would be perfect on LW with Kadri and Kessel next year.

Then we look something like this, which I would be very happy with:

Laich - Kadri - Kessel
Kulimen - Grabo - Macarthur
Versteeg - Bozak - Armstrong
Rosehill - Brent - Brown

Phaneuf - Schenn
Kaberle - Komisarek
Gunnar- Aulie

Reimer
Gustavsson

Also, we would likely have another prospect from the Beauch trade, or a roster player that fills a similar role to Laich.

That lineup doesn't even come near the max Cap, so we would have room to maneuvre moving forward.

In terms of Colborne, Kadri is a better prospect than he is, and Wheeler, well if he was a LW than I would more interested, but we have enough RWs.

Its not like we need to get whatever we can for Kabs, our thought process is more liek that with Beauch. He doesn't fit well.....

tpc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Why doesnt he want picks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Burke is an absolute fool if he "doesn't want" picks. You build through the draft, that's been proven. And he's letting his ego get in the way of correctly building the Leafs.
don't ask me. Burke is the biggest azz out of all. The only pick he'd want is Toronto's 1st back just to save face.

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
The Management

It's funny, because Kaberle would be a great fit in Boston playing alongside Chara.

If it weren't for the whole first-round pick mess, they'd make suitable trading partners.

Boston is in close proximity to Toronto, and is a contender. Probably a team Kaberle would waive for.

Similarly, Boston would ideally like to win now and have a glut of expendable picks and prospects.

My concern is that we have nobody who can step into Kaberle's shoes. I'd like to give him an extension.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Dylbot

Something to keep in mind concerning picks conditional upon Kaberle resigning with the Bruins or someone else, is that they would have to be 2012 draft picks.

This might actually be attractive to Burke. Maybe he'll hope for some karma after the Leafs finished lower than expected after giving up their firsts. Anyway, just something to consider.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
IMO, Burke has to get that Toronto pick back if Kaberle is traded to Boston.

98.5 The Sports Hub is The Bruins (and Patriots) Radio Network, they have been talking about this most of the morning. The agreement is Kaberle is not coming to Boston for anything short of Toronto's pick.

I want Kaberle but giving up that pick would be tough to take. If Kaberle helped carry Boston to The Finals, I would consider that a fair deal. Anything short of that I would not be happy. Huge risk for Boston.
Yes, but if Kaberle is signed for the next 4-5 years at a cap hit of 4.5 or less...

I make that trade... I trade that draft pick...

I want to see this team win... and we have a great window in the next 2-3 years... getting Kaberle would assist that effort more than a draft pick will...

Even if we select Murphy he is 2 years away at least from being effective NHLer

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:48 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
don't ask me. Burke is the biggest azz out of all. The only pick he'd want is Toronto's 1st back just to save face.
No point to Burke using one bit of effort to get that pick back.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Yes, but if Kaberle is signed for the next 4-5 years at a cap hit of 4.5 or less...
I want to see this team win... and we have a great window in the next 2-3 years... getting Kaberle would assist that effort more than a draft pick will...

Brian Burke whispering in ear.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management View Post
It's funny, because Kaberle would be a great fit in Boston playing alongside Chara.

If it weren't for the whole first-round pick mess, they'd make suitable trading partners.

Boston is in close proximity to Toronto, and is a contender. Probably a team Kaberle would waive for.

Similarly, Boston would ideally like to win now and have a glut of expendable picks and prospects.

My concern is that we have nobody who can step into Kaberle's shoes. I'd like to give him an extension.
Do you think this would actually get in the way of these men doing their jobs? I should hope not. I think Burke is too clever a guy to allow emotion to govern his decisions.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bobbyflex

Quote:

an extension can be worked out beforehand. i think there's a huge chance kabs would want to play in boston

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BruinsBtn

meh. I'd prefer to keep Wheeler.

Kaberle would help the Bruins on the powerplay this year but no biggie if they wait until the offseason and pick him or Pitkanen up for free. The Bruins have a pretty wide window to win the Cup so there's no reason to give up anything valuable at the moment.

If Kaberle waits until July 1, I figure Boston the front-runner to sign him. He wants to stay in the East, Chia hands out NTCs like candy, they're a contender and Kabs should appreciate all the efforts Boston has made to trade for him.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
shanesimmonz

hey thats my phone

shanesimmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Retsmra2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
LOL. Of course you would being the biggest Bruins homer I've ever met in my life of course.

Retsmra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:

Good thinking. Kaberle and Chara would definitely be a formidable pairing and a huge boost to defensive depth.

I don't know if Kaberle would sign for so cheap though. His current contract is quite the bargain, and i'm inclined to think he gets around $5M.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Wheeler plays soft. If he was a physical winger with upside it'd be a different story. But from what I've seen, he's been outplayed by a 43 year old (granted, Recchi is a likely HOFer) and he doesn't use his body effectively in the corners or in front of the net.

Wheeler hasn't been able to take a step forward the past two years... why exactly would Toronto bolster Boston's odds at a cup this year for a player who is destined to remain in a bottom 6 role.

Boston fans claiming he will one day be a top 6 player (on a good team) is equally as ridiculous as Toronto fans claiming Bozak belongs on the top 2 lines of an NHL team.

Boston has two options when it comes to Kaberle.

Either trade for him now and sacrifice their own 1st rounder (Leaf fans asking for their own 1st round back is ridiculous) and a prospect and make the most out of one of Chara's and Thomas' last few productive seasons (time waits for no man).. Kaberle won't go anywhere without an extension so I think that's a safe trade for Boston.

OR go into the playoffs with what they have, which currently isn't good enough to get them past the 2nd round.

Getting a lesser PMD somewhere else will still cost you a pick/prospect but there is no other defenseman currently on the market who can give the B's the boost on the blueline they desire.

Boston can pay Kaberle slightly less than what Gonchar got last summer when he becomes a free agent if they feel like it (Toronto won't). I'm perfectly fine with Kaberle riding out the season in Toronto and moving on after the season if we can't get something meaningful in return.
The Thomas and Chara argument isn't an issue. Rask is more than capable of backstopping this team in the future. Having Thomas now is just an added bonus of allowing Rask to develop better before handing the job over to him. As for Chara what part of his game will tail off with age? His skating? His physicality? His two greatest assets are his reach/size and his shot, both of which won't diminish over the remainder of his career.

As for not making it past the second round. Again, not much of a scary thought for Chia. The vast majority of their key players are locked up long term and are all just entering their prime. Several of their prospects in the AHL are ready to make the jump and Seguin, Marchand, Kampfer and Caron with another NHL season under their belts will most likely only get better, and we have a healthy dose of players coming up from the CHL/NCAA next year (Button, Spooner, Knight, Cross, Warsofsky). The best years of this team are ahead of them still. They're not missing any cup windows by not getting Kaberle this deadline.

Looking at all that means the Bruins won't be hard pressed to make a trade they don't think works for them. Burke may think he holds all the cards but in the end if Kaberle waives and is traded Toronto likely gets worse and that pick Boston owns climbs one spot for every spot the Leafs fall. If he chooses to resign anywhere the Bruins have the option of signing some of the many PMDs in UFA this summer (White, Pitkanen, Markov, Wisniewski or Ehrhoff) or some of the other good UFA D-men on the market (McCabe, Bieksa, or Brewer).

Either way Boston isn't in a position where they have to go all in and this summer just happens to be full of promise regardless of what happens to Kaberle. In which case I don't think Chia goes any hire than Wheeler + Min 2nd for Kabs.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
TYayo

I don't get the talk about Kaberle NTC..he already stated he's open to talking about being traded...http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...ceman_kaberle/

It's well known he would only waive it for an Eastern Conference team...would have to imagine
Boston, Washington, Philly, NYR, Montreal would probably be on the short list of teams

With regards to a Boston trade...if you look at it this way I think they would be open to offering their own 1st round pick and a mid range player or prospect...They might see it as "We get Kaberle for our run...and Leafs lose him and we give them nothing that helps them this year...which improves our pick from them...like taking a gamble and getting KAberle and perhaps moving up from 5-7 draft position to 2-4...(may be even more tempting when it is a pretty weak draft and the top four players..Larsson Coutourier Nugent-Hopkins Landeskog are pretty equal and there is a drop off after that)

TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsmra2010 View Post
LOL. Of course you would being the biggest Bruins homer I've ever met in my life of course.
You've never met me.... and I've been right about the cellar-dwelling Leafs for six years running. Good luck next season.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
leafmon

Quote:

I agree. It's do something time for PC as the Bruins as of right now need to add a thing or two to make a real challenge and a puck mover is one of them. PC has some assets and even if it isn't a trade with the Leafs playing it safe isn't going to get the job done.

Kaberle does have the no trade but if the Leafs ask him to move it obviously means they don't want him back next year. If that is the case Kaberle has to get over his Tor thing and look out for his own future with one last contract. That may as well be to a contending team that wants you.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:02 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Honestly...

If Kaberle is signed for 4 years at 16-18 million at the time of the trade (ie- sign and trade as Kaberle said he wanted an extention)

I would do

Tor 1st

for

Kaberle (signed at 4 years for cap hit 4.5 or lower)

I know some people will balk and say ridiculous.... fact is, it is difficult to find a good PMD, as well as someone who can eat up 20 mins a night... Kaberle is a great #2 defenseman, he isn't a #1 guy, but we don't need that... we have a top 3 defender, just no one in that #2 slot and we have an average #3 in Seidenberg, the rest are all #4 dmen... this would increase our defensive depth hugely!!!

Boston is on the cusp of making a cup contender... having a signed Kaberle for the next 4 years at a decent cap hit will go along way to help them... as well as those potential Bruin fans complaining about my proposal... Kessel trade becomes Kessel for Knight, Seguin and Kaberle... not bad, considering it was to be Kaberle + 7th overall

I am sure once Boston fans see a dman who can carry the puck out of the zone and avoid opposing teams forecheck they will like the deal... once Toronto finishes bottom 5 and have their own pick, their fans will like the deal too... it makes a lot of sense.

If no deal in that regard can be struck to an extension and its strictly a rental Kaberle....

Wheeler + conditional 2nd (conditional 2nd becomes Boston 1st if Kaberle re-signs with Boston)

for

Kaberle
Good Post.

I'd say Boston would be Kabs first choice of a destination for a sign-and-trade. Still in the NE Divison, very competitive, great fans and the opportunity to feed Zdeno Chara some one-timer passes on the PP.

The bruins are scary good and IMO (as a leafs fan) are looking like a serious cup contender (I'm saying BOS, PHI or VAN). If this was my team, I'd be offering up my picks/prospects to improve my blueline. They've got a great forward core and some solid D already. But the thought of Kaberle-Chara and Kabs feeding the puck up the ice to a forward core as strong as bostons is just scary.

Burke knows this and he'll try and drive a hard bargain. Kabs with an extension would have Burke asking for TOR 1st back.

Not saying thats fair or unfair, just saying what he'd be asking for.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:06 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYayo View Post
I don't get the talk about Kaberle NTC..he already stated he's open to talking about being traded...http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...ceman_kaberle/

It's well known he would only waive it for an Eastern Conference team...would have to imagine
Boston, Washington, Philly, NYR, Montreal would probably be on the short list of teams

With regards to a Boston trade...if you look at it this way I think they would be open to offering their own 1st round pick and a mid range player or prospect...They might see it as "We get Kaberle for our run...and Leafs lose him and we give them nothing that helps them this year...which improves our pick from them...like taking a gamble and getting KAberle and perhaps moving up from 5-7 draft position to 2-4...(may be even more tempting when it is a pretty weak draft and the top four players..Larsson Coutourier Nugent-Hopkins Landeskog are pretty equal and there is a drop off after that)
That's the way I see it. It will be a short list and Chia's job is to get help while giving up the least amount possible.
Washington: Kaberle isn't what they need
Philly: not sure they have the cap space and he wouldn't fit well with the D they have
Rangers: they seem to want a trigger man like McCabe
Montreal: maybe but they already have the Wiz and PK

I really don't see any of those teams starting a bidding war but Kaberle's agent already said there won't be a list, so a trade looks extremely unlikely.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:07 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Good Post.

I'd say Boston would be Kabs first choice of a destination for a sign-and-trade. Still in the NE Divison, very competitive, great fans and the opportunity to feed Zdeno Chara some one-timer passes on the PP.

The bruins are scary good and IMO (as a leafs fan) are looking like a serious cup contender (I'm saying BOS, PHI or VAN). If this was my team, I'd be offering up my picks/prospects to improve my blueline. They've got a great forward core and some solid D already. But the thought of Kaberle-Chara and Kabs feeding the puck up the ice to a forward core as strong as bostons is just scary.

Burke knows this and he'll try and drive a hard bargain. Kabs with an extension would have Burke asking for TOR 1st back.

Not saying thats fair or unfair, just saying what he'd be asking for.
why does Boston have to be the focus point of Kaberle discussions.... isn't it bad enough MLSE essentially dealt 2 1sts for Kessel & a sight unseen G like Rask

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post

Kaberle would help the Bruins on the powerplay this year but no biggie if they wait until the offseason and pick him or Pitkanen up for free. The Bruins have a pretty wide window to win the Cup so there's no reason to give up anything valuable at the moment.

If Kaberle waits until July 1, I figure Boston the front-runner to sign him. He wants to stay in the East, Chia hands out NTCs like candy, they're a contender and Kabs should appreciate all the efforts Boston has made to trade for him.
Standing pat this year isn't going to win the Bruins anything.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote