HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Question to all the CIS followers:

Old
02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Question to all the CIS followers:

One of the complaints that I've heard over the years was how the CIS schools were always having to travel down here to the States to play exhibition contests vs. NCAA schools. This season, that changed with Lake Superior State and Providence making the trek up north to the CIS arenas.

So here's my question (it's a two-parter):

Would you all like to see more of this, possibly alternating each year with NCAA teams going up there one year and the CIS coming down here the following year, etc? Would you all like to see some sort of tournament setup, kind of like what we have in the NCAA, where there are four teams (two each from the NCAA and the CIS) that participate?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Squirrel Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
One of the complaints that I've heard over the years was how the CIS schools were always having to travel down here to the States to play exhibition contests vs. NCAA schools. This season, that changed with Lake Superior State and Providence making the trek up north to the CIS arenas.

Would you all like to see more of this, possibly alternating each year with NCAA teams going up there one year and the CIS coming down here the following year, etc? Would you all like to see some sort of tournament setup, kind of like what we have in the NCAA, where there are four teams (two each from the NCAA and the CIS) that participate?
I think we would all like to see more hockey...

Some teams trek down year after year to the States (UNB being one of them) while others don't have the budget (money or time) for such trips. I think it would be great to see more cross-boarder play, but these are student-athletes, not athlete-students, and once the Provincials or Nationals are done, the students need to focus on exams.

Christmas time is a good time for tournaments, but again, that requires players to stay at University over Christmas, or to make truncated trips back to their hometowns.

The NCAA has a restriction on teams coming to Canada I believe, only allowed up once every 4 years? As such, it is difficult to have a real rivalry between teams, unless the Canadian team is the one doing most of the travelling. I suppose you could set up a rotating schedule where you know a year(s) in advance who will be coming, but then you may have a case where a weaker team is participating while stronger teams are not.

I think many of us would like to see the best of the NCAA meet the best of the CIS, in some type of tournament or series. But I don't think it will happen any time soon...

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post

A few years ago there was a ncaa show case in ottawa there were 4 teams it was not a tournemant per say each team did play 1 game and that was it i beleave it was held on a saturday.I think if they did tweek the event and have 2 canadian teams and 2 americans team and move the event around it would do very good attendance wise.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:48 AM
FreddtFoyle

The NCAA teams are allowed one international "tour" every four years, where they can play up to 8 or 10 games (I've forgotten the max), but rarely do NCAA teams do that --- UNB manages lately to get them for a two game Challenge Cups, but the tours like LSSU did through the OUA are rare.

The last time Providence was in Canada before this season against UNB was back in the 80's when Dalhousie used to organize a Christmas tourney in Halifax. I think the best incentive to get NCAA teams to use their once-in-four-year options is to make it worth their while: either a tournament where they get to play multiple CIS teams, or a road tour where they play different teams over consecutive nights (which is easier to arrange in the AUS or OUA).

Since games against CIS schools are exhibition, they have no impact, positive or negative, on NCAA teams rankings, standings, etc. and perhaps more importantly, allow NCAA teams to play more games than their NCAA maximum. They can only play one game against an "international team", i.e. CIS, at home per season, but they can play multiple games on their international tour.

So for the NCAA teams you get all of that team building that happens on road trips, can tinker with line combinations or goalies with no ramifications on your rankings in case you lose a game, and depending on your CIS opponent, get pushed a bit.

For those CIS teams that travel to the States annually, there are a lot of the same benefits. Rankings aren't as important - they don't dictate whether you advance to the Final 16 - but you get the same advantages of playing extra games, team bonding, and you know you will get pushed, and perhaps hammered.

Timing wise, I think the best opportunity to invite NCAA teams is over the Christmas break. NCAA teams on the other hand seem to tend to prefer having CIS teams visit as an icebreaker before the regular season starts, and the Ivies also like teams in Jan-Feb because they've got some different semester thing going on ... I know that is the case with Harvard.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 02-01-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added timing bit
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
AUS Fan

To answer the two parts in one part: I would love to see NCAA teams in any configuration, be it a tournament or single game(s) against multiple opponents.

However, as it has been noted there are obstacles to either of these scenarios, mainly from the NCAA side where they can only leave home once every four years.
Cost is another factor in most CIS markets where even the local University team can't draw flies, mainly because of Junior Hockey competition.
If you need to pony up 10 or 15K to bring a team in from the states, that money has to come from some where.

Hopefully, something can come of this, because I think it would be great.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Island Husky

Think I'm with Squirrel Forever for the most part. NCAA I is my favorite brand of hockey bar none, and I would always welcome more of anything from them. A research area of interest for me, what I find is evolving slowly, in the AUS especially, is the disintegration of rivalries. I believe this for two reasons, one is the closeness of the rest of the hockey world, the OHA, the QMJHL, the ECHL, indeed all leagues are not so far away anymore, they are right next door. And this came about after the QMJHL arrived in the Atlantic area in 1994. PLayers are closer to each other and are likely to have a best friend on the opposing team rather than a complete stranger. The second reason is closer to the subject and is my main point. There are larger things to play for. The AUS as we know it can probably trace its birthdate to around 1964. For nearly three decades nary a national championship was won. Moncton broke the ice in 1980 and 81, and again in 89. In the the three decades since 1980 then, the AUS has won 9? This is great for us don't get me wrong, but as it continues we see the breakup of once fierce rivalries in favor on National ones, UNB vs Alberta for instance, perhaps UQTR vs UdeM, Calgary and St Marys carrying over from football. So to have an NCAA/CIS crowning playdown of some sort, would only crack it further, but perhaps that is inevitable, and it may be the answer.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

I would like to see the Bisoms host a team during a bye week. I don't know about tournaments. I don't see it happening and it means just more away games for everybody but the host. An all-star tournament or series, as they once had with the North Anerican championship, would be nice.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Shootmaster_44

I would like to see the U of S Huskies host a team. Probably the best scenario would be to revive the Chill Out tournament over the Christmas break. Seems to me most of the Chill Out years saw the Huskies, an Eastern CIS team and a couple NCAA schools. I remember Yale and Lake Superior State participating. One year they also had the Austrian National Team play. This is probably the best bet for CIS vs. NCAA games.

As was mentioned, the Canadian school year finishes shortly after the University Cup. So a North American championship held after the University Cup and Frozen Four would interfere with final exams.

Holding after finals would possibly violate some NCAA rule as I doubt the CIS teams would agree to play without their fifth years. I assume technically after the school year is finished, a player's eligibility is up. I could have sworn there was a rule prohibiting NCAA teams from playing non-College students. I seem to recall this causing an issue for a basketball program who went to Europe one summer. I could've sworn that they played a Swedish College All-Star team or something to that effect and one player on the Swedish team had graduated that spring. The NCAA gave the program a slap on the wrist for it. Which I think is why there have been a rise in NCAA/CIS September basketball games.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
nosl

Though my Lakers lost to the ... Lakers, I'd welcome a matchup between the two clubs again.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks for all of the great input! I am aware of the NCAA rules regarding CIS competition and what have you. I'm in total agreement with everyone who said that the tournaments should be held over the Christmas break. It just makes sense and is best (IMO) all around.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote