HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Deadline Speculation

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2011, 12:25 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
No.

He's incredibly redundant with what we already have. A 1B center. No more of those.
He's better than Stepan and Anisimov

Stepan may someday be as good as Weiss is today. Anisimov? Doesn't have the same offence and Weiss is as good as Arty is defensively.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
SomE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
He's better than Stepan and Anisimov

Stepan may someday be as good as Weiss is today. Anisimov? Doesn't have the same offence and Weiss is as good as Arty is defensively.
Well Weiss only has 5 more points than Step.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:41 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Well Weiss only has 5 more points than Step.
Weiss is not playing with Gaborik

Weiss is also not playing with Dubinsky on his LW

The talent disparity for whom they have been paired with needs to be taken into context when looking at these players.

Again, Stepan may become a consistent 60+ point scoring center, but he's not there yet.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Update on Richards from Mr. Dreger

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Quote:
3) It seems unlikely the Dallas Stars' ownership situation will sort itself out anytime soon. That uncertainty makes it almost impossible for Brad Richards to negotiate an extension with the Stars.

Richards and his agent Pat Morris have an excellent relationship with Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk and will continue to listen to updates on ownership possibilities, while also allowing Dallas to dictate the pace and direction the organization wants to go with the star centre.

An in-season trade is highly unlikely. However, if presented, Richards would consider his options provided enough time was given to weigh the possibilities of making the move - especially if the proposal were to include a contract extension.

Another scenario could see Richards turn down such an opportunity and finish the season in Dallas hopeful that ownership solidifies in time for him to comfortably re-sign with the Stars.

This would have to happen before the NHL Entry Draft in June, the next logical hot-spot for trade prior to Richards cruising into unrestricted free agency on July 1.

There is no doubt Stars management wants to keep their top scorer and they have expressed this desire, but negotiating the term and dollars is very difficult to do while ownership remains in question.
Remember, in December, Dreger, as well as McKenzie (if I recall correctly) both said that that they expect Richards to be a Ranger next season.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:

The talent disparity for whom they have been paired with needs to be taken into context when looking at these players.

Again, Stepan may become a consistent 60+ point scoring center, but he's not there yet.
Stepan doesn't really play with Dubinsky and a so far ineffective Gaborik...

Weiss has the same traits as a player like Stepan, but I think Stepan has a brighter future. Both are playmaking centers who rely on their intelligence and vision. But I think Stepan is a better passer.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Remember, in December, Dreger, as well as McKenzie (if I recall correctly) both said that that they expect Richards to be a Ranger next season.
Trade at the draft for his rights? I'd be willing to send Wolski their way, if they want him. Clears more cap room, and opens up the left side for one of Grachev or Kreider. Thoughts?

Old
02-08-2011, 02:06 PM
SomE

Quote:

yeah thank god for him

Old
02-08-2011, 02:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

At this point, i'd be willing to ship SOME assets for Richards. We NEED him.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Realistically...

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA - Cally
WW - Step - Zucc
Avery - Boyle - Prust

is a sexy forward group.

At the deadline I'm expecting Sather to add McCabe, and possibly a guy like Brunette or Tanguay, although the flames are rocking hard right now so Tanguay will probably not be on the market.

I wouldn't be opposed to adding Montador however he doesn't help the power play, but he does give a huge defensive boost.

staal - girardi
McD - Sauer
Eminger/Gilroy/DZ - Montador

Is good depth.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:31 PM
WeWillWinTonight

We're not targeting anyone, target youth.

I have seen countless discussions about acquiring this guy or that guy for the past couple years on these boards. Not only do we never acquire who you guys suggest, but whoever we do acquire is never the savior that we anticipate them to be.

So I think your better off not thinking about who we will be targeting to acquire, but instead who we are targeting in our system to develop into a real factor.

Just look at all the good teams and where all their main guys come from.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
No.

He's incredibly redundant with what we already have. A 1B center. No more of those.

How many of our centers have scored 60+ points...

Hes FAR less expensive then any of the other suggestions, and very underrated as far as his skill level goes.

This would not be a Gomez type acquisition, he makes so much less money then the other options, you could add Weiss and still improve the roster elsewhere.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:39 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Realistically...

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - AA - Cally
WW - Step - Zucc
Avery - Boyle - Prust

is a sexy forward group.

At the deadline I'm expecting Sather to add McCabe, and possibly a guy like Brunette or Tanguay, although the flames are rocking hard right now so Tanguay will probably not be on the market.

I wouldn't be opposed to adding Montador however he doesn't help the power play, but he does give a huge defensive boost.

staal - girardi
McD - Sauer
Eminger/Gilroy/DZ - Montador

Is good depth.
Penciling Kreider in on the top line is anything but realistic. Let's wait for him to produce in his league before we expect him to produce in the NHL.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:40 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
How many of our centers have scored 60+ points...

Hes FAR less expensive then any of the other suggestions, and very underrated as far as his skill level goes.

This would not be a Gomez type acquisition, he makes so much less money then the other options, you could add Weiss and still improve the roster elsewhere.
It would take a lot to acquire him, though. He's Florida's most valuable asset...they'd probably want something like:

Stepan/Kreider
Roster Player
1st

Which we absolutely cannot afford to give up for a marginal improvement right now. If this was a legitimate top end center, sure, but not for a player like Weiss. And don't get me wrong, I like Weiss a lot, he's on of my favorite players. But, again, he has a redundant skillset with Stepan, and maybe even Anisimov.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Weiss has the same traits as a player like Stepan, but I think Stepan has a brighter future. Both are playmaking centers who rely on their intelligence and vision. But I think Stepan is a better passer.

Forget which of Stepan or Weiss is better, that's not an issue.

Weiss is also a very fast skater, that could possibly help Gaborik's off-the-rush, type of game.

Again, Weiss' style of play would fit here. He has an edge to his game, hes highly skilled, and he's probably under-paid if anything.

Weiss would be a very good addition.

If the Rangers are serious about Kaberle, and actually add him... how do you add Richards? Can't do it. So, Weiss, the less expensive option, would add a top line center, maybe not the golden goose that everyone wants, but hes a legitimate option.

We could comfortably retain our RFAs and improve the roster in other areas because of his very reasonable contract.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:50 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
yeah thank god for him
thats pretty good

Old
02-08-2011, 02:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
It would take a lot to acquire him, though. He's Florida's most valuable asset...they'd probably want something like:

Stepan/Kreider
Roster Player
1st

Which we absolutely cannot afford to give up for a marginal improvement right now. If this was a legitimate top end center, sure, but not for a player like Weiss. And don't get me wrong, I like Weiss a lot, he's on of my favorite players. But, again, he has a redundant skillset with Stepan, and maybe even Anisimov.

Well, that's a concern. I wouldn't give up a lot to get him.

I'd give them something like:

Valentenko
Grachev
Horak
2nd

I'd even consider giving them Boyle, with Werek most likely going Pro next season, cash in on Boyle's value while it's most likely at it's peak.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
pld459666

Quote:

Stepan has played with Dubinsky, he's played with Gaborik, he's played with Wolski.

The point is that all three of those players are better than the wingers that Weiss has played with comparitively speaking.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Well, that's a concern. I wouldn't give up a lot to get him.

I'd give them something like:

Valentenko
Grachev
Horak
2nd

I'd even consider giving them Boyle, with Werek most likely going Pro next season, cash in on Boyle's value while it's most likely at it's peak.
Why would Florida do quality for quantity, though? They would likely not even consider it without the 1st going back.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:54 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Trade at the draft for his rights? I'd be willing to send Wolski their way, if they want him. Clears more cap room, and opens up the left side for one of Grachev or Kreider. Thoughts?
I honestly don't think it'd at all be necessary to send wolski to dallas for a days or whatever it is of negotiating rights before FA starts, come july Richards is going to go where he wants to go simple as that the extra couple days won't make a difference IMO.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:54 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Stepan has played with Dubinsky, he's played with Gaborik, he's played with Wolski.

The point is that all three of those players are better than the wingers that Weiss has played with comparitively speaking.
Booth is better than Wolski and arguably Dubinsky.

But the point is, Stepan doesn't play with those players primarily. And he's 20. Considering he's only scoring 5 points less while being 7 years younger doesn't scream "MAJOR UPGRADE!" to me.

Old
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Kessel has come out in the media and said he and Wilson don't even bother speaking anymore. And has said he feels a change is needed, because it's not working out at all.

Kessel is a sniper, similar to Gaborik except not as explosive a skater. Still much more explosive than most other forwards. Also like Gaborik he doesn't really raise the level of anyone around him, when he's going he's a one-man show, and when he's not he doesn't do any of the little things to help in getting W's.

Burke has lost a ton of face, and Kessel is a daily reminder of the ridiculous mismanagement of a non-playoff bound team. It's going to cost prospect + picks, but we have the horses to land Kessel, just by giving up the overflow that we have, + picks.

Old
02-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Drury Buyout = Richards.

That's all that really needs to be said.

We're set on D for the next 5-10 years with who we have in the pipeline. Of course, if someone screams upgrade then you do it, but I think our D will be great if we just allow them to develop.

Our O, on the other hand, needs top-end talent. Buyout Drury and get Richards. If our youngsters continue to develop properly, we will be a force for years.

Old
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Booth is better than Wolski and arguably Dubinsky.

But the point is, Stepan doesn't play with those players primarily. And he's 20. Considering he's only scoring 5 points less while being 7 years younger doesn't scream "MAJOR UPGRADE!" to me.
I'd prefer to have both Dubinsky and Wolski over Booth.

David had a nice season and then got his bell rung and has not/will not be the same player.

Wolski is a much more talented player and I'd bet on him getting back to the 60pt output before Booth will.

And at thsi point, Dubinsky is hands downt he better player. hands down.

Old
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
I'd prefer to have both Dubinsky and Wolski over Booth.

David had a nice season and then got his bell rung and has not/will not be the same player.

Wolski is a much more talented player and I'd bet on him getting back to the 60pt output before Booth will.

And at thsi point, Dubinsky is hands downt he better player. hands down.
At this point, sure, but Booth has recovered from the concussion admirably. He's on pace for 23 goals on a terrible team. He scored 31 in 72 games just 2 years ago. You can't discredit this guy's ability.

He's definitely better than Wolski. He many not have the talent, but he has the desire/heart that makes him more valuable to any team than an unmotivated Wolski. He's also a better goal scorer.

Old
02-08-2011, 03:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

No. Kessel has proven he's a horrible locker room guy and I do not want him near this team.

Closed Thread