HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Power Play QB

Old
02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Blast from the point: Why so elusive ?

I have to wonder sometimes why it's so hard to find an NHL'r who can blast a cannon from the point. All these guys have spent 10+ years developing their hockey skills and have risen to the top of every challenge to get this far. I realize guys have different strengths but really what is so freaking hard about playing the point on the PP AND SHOOTING ON NET AS HARD AS YOU CAN.

Put some players in the slot and bury the carnage.

Who has the hardest shot on the team? There's your point man on the PP

02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Crease

Now that I think of it, I really can't remember the last big shot we had from the point.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:40 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Well.... Kotalik but he could never hit the net. Which is another thing. Why do players shoot wide all the time?

Wide or at the Goalies stomach are poor percentage shots.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Well.... Kotalik but he could never hit the net. Which is another thing. Why do players shoot wide all the time?

Well if we're playing that game I can rattle of a laundry list of guys who could shoot hard but wide. Poti and Tyutin come to mind. Part of the reason why these guys shoot wide is because they're not quick/smart enough to get the shoot off in an open lane. They recieve the pass, fumble with it, hesitate, then are forced shoot wide.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:52 PM
1940rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Now that I think of it, I really can't remember the last big shot we had from the point.
Reijo Ruotsalainen?

1940rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Playing the point isn't as easy as it seems. You don't just stand there slapping pucks at the net. Your main goal playing defense when the puck is in the offensive zone is to keep the puck in there. You have to track the puck, know its bounces, and know when or when not to pinch. You can't take any player and tell him to play there.

You can't just be ripping them at the net blindly as hard as you can. If it gets blocked or even tipped it could lead to and oddman rush or breakaway. This reminds me of the 15,000 fans at the garden who yell "SHOOOT" anytime a pointman has the puck on the powerplay when he clearly doesn't have the clear shot.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
rody

Believe it or not Girardi has a good shot from the point if given a chance. He doesn't get credit for having some offense talent. he is the top scoring d man not getting pp time , oh yeah sorry 20 secs here and there. When he was on the point on the pp at the beginning of the year we were doing better. but there is no way they will let Girardi get more credit than Staal.
I will say it again. Staal and Girardi on the first pp.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:01 PM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
You can't just be ripping them at the net blindly as hard as you can. If it gets blocked or even tipped it could lead to and oddman rush or breakaway. This reminds me of the 15,000 fans at the garden who yell "SHOOOT" anytime a pointman has the puck on the powerplay when he clearly doesn't have the clear shot.
This annoys me to no end.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post

believe it or not it's actually hard to blast a slapshot exactly where you want it when you have limited time and players all over the ice. who knew right?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:07 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Even in beer league hockey it's hard to get the puck stop it and blast a shot without someone blocking it, I can't imagine how much harder it is when the speeds are 100 times faster.

Although the trick to beat that is of course the one-timer which is hardly ever used on this team. I remember Stepan would attempt them and fail miserably every time.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Can't stand that. Sometimes when people yell SHOOOT I yell SHUT UP

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:13 PM
RangersRising
Oh Baby

Quote:
Playing the point isn't as easy as it seems. You don't just stand there slapping pucks at the net. Your main goal playing defense when the puck is in the offensive zone is to keep the puck in there. You have to track the puck, know its bounces, and know when or when not to pinch. You can't take any player and tell him to play there.

Excellent post, and all very true. Many defensemen probably started out wanting to have a bomb from the point but quickly realized how easy it is to get burned in doing so.

RangersRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:14 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Isn't Byfuglien a free agent after this year? He's probably going to make way too much, but I'd love to have a player like him on the Rangers blue line.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:07 PM
94now

Game has changed. No one blocked the shots 20 years ago. You could have cannon shot and score. Nowadays you shoot rocket from the point and... create breakaway chance for the opponenet. After just one shorthanded goal coach woun't let you play on PP.
The art is to move the puck so the defenders allow the shooting lane. They do not. That is why puck is moved back and forth for so long that fans can spill their beer shouting. The artists like Letang are able not just shoot theh puck, but predict the movement of bodies while puck travels. That is something that is hard to teach, have to have nose for it. MDZ has that, Gilroy can do that.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
Isn't Byfuglien a free agent after this year? He's probably going to make way too much, but I'd love to have a player like him on the Rangers blue line.
Buff has fallen back to earth (1 point, -8 his past 14), and yet his gaudy point totals will still command some absurd amount of money. I can't imagine any circumstance where he's in our price range.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:20 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
He's restricted so it would have to be an offer sheet.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
ruckus*

V-Tank FTW

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Game has changed. No one blocked the shots 20 years ago. You could have cannon shot and score. Nowadays you shoot rocket from the point and... create breakaway chance for the opponenet. After just one shorthanded goal coach woun't let you play on PP.
The art is to move the puck so the defenders allow the shooting lane. They do not. That is why puck is moved back and forth for so long that fans can spill their beer shouting. The artists like Letang are able not just shoot theh puck, but predict the movement of bodies while puck travels. That is something that is hard to teach, have to have nose for it. MDZ has that, Gilroy can do that.
Thats pretty much how I see it.

Today every player has the speed and instinct or they get left behind, no matter how talented they may be at certain areas of the game.

One of my biggest concerns with our team is the 'fake' pass or shot, we do a horrid job of selling those on the PP. Even with such thin offensive skill we should be outworking some of these PK's instead of trying to use moves that work for Ovechkin and the like.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:34 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Which is also why executing a good hard accurate one-timer is key, but this team never attempts them.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Yelling shoot after 1 sog in 6 minutes of pp is probably the right thing to do

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Ola

I am sure all our D's from can blast the puck from the blueline.

The trick is not to get velocity behind the shot, something many fails to understand. Either the "PP", or whatever, needs to open up the point man with a lane to the net, or the D needs to be able to open up a lane for himself.

Rozsival had a very good shot, still I wonder if his shot from the blueline created more goals for then against...

There are two forwards on the other team designed to take away each attacking D. Sometimes it sounds like all they need to do is fire away. Its like asking why the forwards just can not roof the puck. How hard can it be? Just shoot it a inch under the bar!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

The real problem is lack of movement. If guys moved around more, there would be more lanes for point players to get their shots through. Most of the time, whoever is at the point just stands there hoping a lane is going to pop up.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We have been working the puck down low on the PP much more often over the past dozen games. Shots from the point have been virtually nonexistant.

I for one am glad I don't have to try to figure out how to fix this power play.

02-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Here's a brainstorm...

To NYR
Joni Pitkanen

To CAR
Ethan Werek
Conditional 2nd (turns into a 1st with an ECF trip)

Pitkanen is a legitimate puck moving defenseman, who basically is a lock to put up ~40 points across a full season. He's still relatively young @ 27, and he's a UFA at the end of the year. If the Canes are out of it at the deadline, which they likely will not be, I could see Pitkanen being moved for a return like this.

Of course, I would only do this deal if Richards became out of reach for us, because he should be priority numero uno. Otherwise, a puckmoving defenseman would be our second biggest need. I know everyone likes Werek, but we have plenty of players like him, he's redundant. Gotta give to get.

Thoughts?

02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
vladmyir111

Aside from generally how hard it is to get a good shot from the point in the NHL... I think this teams overall game focuses on cycling and then slipping it out front for a rebound or tap in attempt. Seems they can't just all of a sudden play a whole different style once on the powerplay. Coaching fault at this point IMO.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote