HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meet the Team Event Tonight

Old
02-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Kind of poorly organized this year. Pretty sure a bunch of guys were late. Meanwhile, I didn't even have to wait in a line for Timonen and O'Donnell. Got to trade some words with Coburn for a minute because he was wearing a Roughriders hat.
Got to agree. Last year was incredible compared to this year. But there were some major logistical issues this time with player arrivals.
The new extra-curricular activities were saviours when the meltdowns began to surface for my kids. We could have had more autographs, but it was much more work this year than last.

Two major downers (neither of which have anything to do with the Flyers):
1. About the last thing I want to hear from folks between 4:45 and 5:10 p.m. is how much Meet the Team sucks. Actually, I hate hearing that at any time. If you think it sucks, pick another early bird reward. There are plenty of sports teams that don't offer the perks the Flyers do.
2. If you are in my age range (old enough to have kids, young enough to have a lot of bills ahead of you), act like an adult. After they let us in the atrium, the lines devolved into a mass of humanity. And here are these guys who are in their 30s-40s pushing through to get to the front. I picked up my youngest, and told my oldest where I'd meet her upstairs. From the atrium to the escalator, more grown men without kids wedged their way between me and my oldest. I could see her, but I didn't want her to stop and get trampled. Fortunately, she was cool with the situation, and knows the WFC enough to have gone exactly where I told her I'd catch up to her.

As for what I loved, all of the guys were great. I don't know if I ever said anything bad about Danny Briere before, but I never will in the future. He took the time to talk to each of my girls. So what if the line went slow for a minute?

Worst thing for us was the lower level guys. The kids had to reach over seats to get to them. My youngest couldn't see the players without climbing onto the seats, a problem that looked like it snarled all of the lines. Anyone else with smaller kids had similar issues.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

What's all the extra words in the quote, GKJ? Did I screw something up?

BTW, we found that Nodl has an exceptional sense of humor. He was able to bust on Coburn and make my girls laugh only seconds apart.

Old
02-08-2011, 07:36 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
What's all the extra words in the quote, GKJ? Did I screw something up?

BTW, we found that Nodl has an exceptional sense of humor. He was able to bust on Coburn and make my girls laugh only seconds apart.
I think he must have edited his post. I was wondering if he got Kimmo's autograph, thus ensuring he's traded this summer

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I think Kimmo's line was the only decent one in regards to length. I got there 15 minutes late, so at 6:00, only to find out that Pronger, Richie, Giroux, and Carter's lines had already been closed and you needed a blue ticket to get in line. Then we had to rush downstairs to find any decent sized line, which just so happened to be Kimmo and OD. By the time we got out of that line we hopped in the Nodl/ Coburn/ and I forget the other player line, and found out that in the time it took us from getting out of the last line, that this line had grown to over 2 sections. At that point I just got out of line and went home. I really think that next year they should split it up into two nights. It's more of a hassle to both the fans and players I think trying to squeeze that many people into a not even 2 hour time frame. I honestly think they should try to do one before the all-star break, and then another one after, and the STH should get tickets clarifying Night #1 or Night #2. That way fans have a better chance of seeing more players, and the players themselves don't have to rush as much.

I think I can honestly say that the most exciting thing about last night was when I finally bought my orange Giroux hoodie.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

They gave you the ticket when you got in lines. Some of them you had to wait until further up the line to get the ticket. Had no idea they already closed the lines at 6:00 though. I never went up to the upper level. That would have aggravated me. The tickets didn't serve a purpose, it was only because they wanted to count how many people were in each line. I don't know if I left too early, but it seems like Laperrere and Zherdev didn't show.

Coburn's certainly a talker, because I also told Meszaros I had his jersey from his rookie year in Ottawa and Coburn was all "dude, you should have brought it."

Making two nights would be nice, but that's not always logistical. There's only so much time the players are supposed to work for the team outside of playing games.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I can understand that they might not be open to doing a second night due to hours worked outside or whatever, but come on. EVERYTHING was closed by 7 last night. Even considering you're there at 5:45, that's still only an hour and 15 minutes to try and make as many lines as you can. And for people like me that work until 4:30, it may not be the most feasible thing to get there on time. I made one line in an hour. And for the people with the early bird, I don't even know how you get that. My assumption is you have to know someone to get it. I won't complain too much because it is nice that they do this, and my friend hooked me up with the tickets, but this was the fourth year in a row I went, and it just seems that every year it gets progressively worse. And if you don't want to split it into two nights, maybe try and sit more players together. If you know Pronger/ Carter/ Richards/ Giroux, etc are going to be extremely long lines by themselves, sit two of them together that way people can at least get two autographs.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:58 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
As for what I loved, all of the guys were great. I don't know if I ever said anything bad about Danny Briere before, but I never will in the future. He took the time to talk to each of my girls. So what if the line went slow for a minute?
I hold a special place in my heart for any player who takes the time to make a kid feel important and appreciated too. Briere has gained a couple of fans for life, with just a few minutes of time.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I can understand that they might not be open to doing a second night due to hours worked outside or whatever, but come on. EVERYTHING was closed by 7 last night. Even considering you're there at 5:45, that's still only an hour and 15 minutes to try and make as many lines as you can. And for people like me that work until 4:30, it may not be the most feasible thing to get there on time. I made one line in an hour. And for the people with the early bird, I don't even know how you get that. My assumption is you have to know someone to get it. I won't complain too much because it is nice that they do this, and my friend hooked me up with the tickets, but this was the fourth year in a row I went, and it just seems that every year it gets progressively worse. And if you don't want to split it into two nights, maybe try and sit more players together. If you know Pronger/ Carter/ Richards/ Giroux, etc are going to be extremely long lines by themselves, sit two of them together that way people can at least get two autographs.
You get the early bird by renewing the following season early. I already did it actually for next season. My other perk is Chalk Talk with Laviolette on the 28th. I forget what they all were, but these were the last two available to me. All the Early Birds were invited down to the Center in September for a barbeque. Fewer players - many fewer people, but at least I got to talk to some of the players for a minute.

Last edited by GKJ: 02-08-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old
02-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Let's Go Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I think Kimmo's line was the only decent one in regards to length. I got there 15 minutes late, so at 6:00, only to find out that Pronger, Richie, Giroux, and Carter's lines had already been closed and you needed a blue ticket to get in line. Then we had to rush downstairs to find any decent sized line, which just so happened to be Kimmo and OD. By the time we got out of that line we hopped in the Nodl/ Coburn/ and I forget the other player line, and found out that in the time it took us from getting out of the last line, that this line had grown to over 2 sections. At that point I just got out of line and went home. I really think that next year they should split it up into two nights. It's more of a hassle to both the fans and players I think trying to squeeze that many people into a not even 2 hour time frame. I honestly think they should try to do one before the all-star break, and then another one after, and the STH should get tickets clarifying Night #1 or Night #2. That way fans have a better chance of seeing more players, and the players themselves don't have to rush as much.

I think I can honestly say that the most exciting thing about last night was when I finally bought my orange Giroux hoodie.
Iím in complete agreement that it was horribly organized. We got in and went right upstairs to Giroux to find that that line was closed, we went around to Carterís line and that was also closed. We then went to Richards line and they said it closed also. There was a mass of people outside the section entrance pissed off, I saw a little boy crying, etc., etc. For whatever reason we stayed there to see what would happen with this mass of people when a spokeswoman for the Flyers came to tell the security guard turning us away that they were not going to close lines, so my girlfriend stayed in the Richards linen and I went back to the Giroux line. When I got to the Giroux line, word apparently hadnít reached that they were going to reopen the lines so I waited in hopes they would, and about 10-15 minutes later another Flyers rep came with tickets for the fans who were waiting without a ticket. I met up with my girlfriend after we each made it through our respective lines, and we initially figured that would be it. As luck would have it, all the upstairs lines stayed open. So by 7:15, when we left, we had the opportunity to get through all of the upstairs lines (Richards, Giroux, Carter, Pronger and Briere). I think that so many fans that were understandably under the impression that the lines were cut for good and went downstairs, because the last three lines (Carter, Pronger, Briere) were all short. I understand there is no great way to get ~4000 fans to get all the autographs they want in a limited time frame, but improved communication/guidance would go a long way.

Let's Go Flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Last year was better with having 3-4 players at each spot. At least a line delivered more for the wait. And this year seemed like more fans, unless that was because we weren't using the club level.
Without the early bird, I don't know if I'd do Meet the Team. You are likely one line at best. We went right upstairs last night, got Briere, and were in our second line by 5:15.
All of the lines seemed to start at different times, so it appeared the players had trouble getting to the arena.

Old
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Flyers View Post
Iím in complete agreement that it was horribly organized. We got in and went right upstairs to Giroux to find that that line was closed, we went around to Carterís line and that was also closed. We then went to Richards line and they said it closed also. There was a mass of people outside the section entrance pissed off, I saw a little boy crying, etc., etc. For whatever reason we stayed there to see what would happen with this mass of people when a spokeswoman for the Flyers came to tell the security guard turning us away that they were not going to close lines, so my girlfriend stayed in the Richards linen and I went back to the Giroux line. When I got to the Giroux line, word apparently hadnít reached that they were going to reopen the lines so I waited in hopes they would, and about 10-15 minutes later another Flyers rep came with tickets for the fans who were waiting without a ticket. I met up with my girlfriend after we each made it through our respective lines, and we initially figured that would be it. As luck would have it, all the upstairs lines stayed open. So by 7:15, when we left, we had the opportunity to get through all of the upstairs lines (Richards, Giroux, Carter, Pronger and Briere). I think that so many fans that were understandably under the impression that the lines were cut for goodand went downstairs, because the last three lines (Carter, Pronger, Briere) were all short. I understand there is no great way to get ~4000 fans to get all the autographs they want in a limited time frame, but improved communication/guidance would go a long way.
SON OF A *****!!!!!... Yeah, I heard the say "all upstairs lines are cut" so I didn't attempt any after Giroux.

I have ttended every one since they started and by far last season was the best as they grouped the big ticket guys and you got to a few... I imagine they felt that this way spread the fans out, but in all reality the other way allowed people to wait less for more meets. I remember Carter and Briere together... and Harnell was with a whole bunch of players... and there weren't the in and out of rows when they used the Atrium and levels.

In other years I don't believe that Early Bird Renewals made a difference in assigning times... but I never got the first group... the first group were assured of a big name and then a jump on another -- my STH partner doesn't want to give the $200.00 or so deposit for EB since he is pissed they won't tell us if they are increasing the prices before we commit... He has had the seats since around 1969 and I joined him in the mid-seventies, so believe me we won't give up our great seats... but he is stubborn and doesn't care about the perks and meeting players... I would put up the deposit myself... sigh -- This year it was bad from the start.

We went to where we were told to go on Broad Street, where it was all the other years... We were in a long line with about an hour to go until our time... with about 45 mins to go they moved us all to the 13th st. side and some fans went to the south door... we were lucky that we went to the B&P entrance because they ten moved the others to the back of the line at our door.

My plan was to get signatures on my Giroux, Pronger and Leino jerseys and my Timonen game worn leggings... in that order. My son wanted his Kimmo jersey signed. We decided to split up and he would get my Leino one signed for me after Timonen... When I raced to the Giroux line I heard that upstairs were cut, so Pronger was not possible -- or so I assumed -- After the long wait for Giroux I couldn't get hold of my son on the cell so I took a stab at Kimmo although I assumed it would be closed also... It was open... So I got my Kimmo Game worn signed and chatter briefly with Sean O'Donnell who was great and had a wonderful deep voice -- he told me he was excited to be with the Flyers -- Sean signed my poster and ten passed to to Kimmo who signed it and I had to ask if he would sign a second time for me; he didn't hesitate... I later found out that OD did that with my son's cap also, so my son get a Kimmo cap and jersey signing LOL.

... If my son did do me a solid by getting Leino I would have been disappointed... But as it is I am upset that I didn't go try Pronger because he would be hard to get and I really want his jersey signed... Oh well... he still has five years or so left on his contract (knock on wood) haha.

... On an odd coincidence... I was behind a dude on the Giroux line and then after we left Giroux we both went different routes and then after I ended up on the Kimmo/OD line, as we weaved through the rows I looked that the guy ahead of me and it was the SAME guy I followed in Giroux's line... What are the odds?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Put up the deposit and reap the benefits for yourself. Less you pay later on. Prices are probably going to go up, but they don't make that determination before they know they're making the playoffs.

If you don't do the early bird you should be able to get into 2 lines. Personally, it's not really worth the drive and the wait. I got through 3 lines before they let everyone else through at 5:45

Old
02-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Put up the deposit and reap the benefits for yourself. Less you pay later on. Prices are probably going to go up, but they don't make that determination before they know they're making the playoffs.

If you don't do the early bird you should be able to get into 2 lines. Personally, it's not really worth the drive and the wait. I got through 3 lines before they let everyone else through at 5:45
You are singing to the choir... I would gladly put up the Early Bird deposit if I could... My partner owns the Seats and has for decades even though I actually attend much more games than he does (50% and any extras I buy in other seats as well as road games)... But on this I am at his mercy... It is in his name and under his control.

The prices going up means nothing to him really as he will renew and sell off games he doesn't want -- if he pulls out, I would take over control -- He just has little to no interest in meeting the players and that sort of stuff... He feels that giving them even that token amount is giving them our money to play with and that it is unfair for them to ask us to commit without having the courtesy of telling us what the prices are... Keep in mind he has been a STH for over forty years and I have been for over 35 and I bought seats off of him before that... I have a say, but I have no control... I stated my case but in the end I told him I would back him in his decision ... for harmony sake. I'd like that BBQ meetings and the other perks; he couldn't care less and has his principles... But on the bright side I do get to attend these type events (like last night's) and I got the Winter Classic ticket purchase option. If he was more into the extra stuff like the meet and greet and town hall, etc. I wouldn't get to attend all of them and I'd have to split them... so it is a give and take, and I am better off for it in the end... and I only have to buy 22 games and not worry about selling off the others -- more than that is too heavy a load to commit to in both time and dollars.

And thus are The Days of Our Lives. haha

Old
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

You can send them a money order if you want, just put the account number on it.

Old
02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
You can send them a money order if you want, just put the account number on it.
Begone, Satan!!!

... Not worth the risks and trouble... Better to grin and bear it.

In a way I am extremely lucky to be in a longstanding partnership... especially with a person who not as into the Flyers as I am -- Yeah, 40+ years and the Flyers are not even his favorite NHL team -- with excellent seats at a very reasonable price... with practically a 50/50 split when it comes to STH perks... in fact better than 50/50 when you factor in events like last night and the Winter Classic option, etc. ... I only lose out on the STH gifts, which is really minimal in most cases... and he even handles the billing.

I also get to attend 50% of the postseason games... and have a more than fair regular season game selection process. And we have a good give and take when concerns arise with our selected games.

In the words of the Hues Corporation... "don't rock the boat, baby".

Old
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Meh, I'd just tell him that you're footing the early bird bill. It's not like it's extra, just more upfront. You already pay 5% ahead of time, might as well pay 20% further ahead of time. Only thing he'd have to do is forward you the emails.

Old
02-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Saw, I feel for you on that one. If you've shared tickets that long, he should let you put up the cash. Not putting down a deposit when you are going to get the tickets anyway sounds painful. So sorry, man.

Also, here's the set-ups for those who didn't get to go:

2010-11 Meet the Team tables
floor -- Bobrovsky/Bartulis/Zherdev (only Bob)
106 -- Leino/Carle
109 -- Carcillo/Powe
112 -- Betts/Lapierriere (Bart was here, I think)
114 -- Coburn/Meszaros/Nodl
117 -- Timonen/O'Donnell
120 -- Shelley/JVR
122 -- Boucher/Hartnell
206 -- Pronger
207 -- Carter
213 -- Giroux
220 -- Richards
223 -- Briere

2009-10 Meet the Team tables
112 -- Carter/Briere/Bartulis
114 -- Richards/Powe/Kalinski