HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bring Me Back Upshall Or Umberger

Old
02-08-2011, 08:14 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshots1515 View Post
It's funny, I normally come into a thread where I see a staff writer and get an insightful opinion on a team that I'm sometimes not familiar with. I come into a Flyers thread and see Shafer and not only don't find insight, but often laughable overvalue of a Flyers player.

Meszaros has exceeded expectations. Those expectations, for most people, were bottom pairing at best, considering his performance in Tampa. He's been more than adequate, but that still does not mean that there are not many, many, MANY defensemen still more valuable than Meszaros.
Yea hes the biggest homer on these boards. I want to gouge my eyes out any time I read what he writes.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Umberger for JVR
Not a chance in hell. Even if we hated Umberger and wanted to get rid of him, that's crappy value.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Not a chance in hell. Even if we hated Umberger and wanted to get rid of him, that's crappy value.
Maybe I missed something as I haven't paid attention to JVR recently, but has he become "not a chance in hell," "that's crappy value" territory?

Not that I'd trade Umberger right now at all unless it addressed a significant weakness. I'm happy where he is right now.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

The problem with the Coyotes is, Upshall would be depth on the Flyers, but he's the Coyotes leading goal scorer. We're in the playoff picture. It can't be done without one side getting screwed.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshots1515 View Post
(Bonus: when literally one minute after I made my OP, I got a response calling you the biggest homer on HFboards...didn't have to look too far for support, now did I?)
It doesn't really matter how many people are wrong. It only matters that they are wrong.

Anyway enough of this. If you're going to troll please do it elsewhere, I'm not interested in a petty argument to derail this thread. I will alert a mod if you continue as is my right.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:00 PM
TheBuriedHab

I doubt either of these players are available short of a kings ransom. CBJ is in dire need to make the playoffs as was stated by Dregs on tsn today. And upshall is to valuable to Phoenix aswell who are in playoff position. Both these teams would need Established players who have similar value if you want them imo.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-08-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: no more
TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:20 PM
slapshots1515

So as to directly go back to the discussion at hand, Umberger is too valuable to CBJ...Upshall might be available, but I kind of feel like it might be for more than Philly would like to pay.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-08-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: QDP
slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:31 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

JVR is mediocre, a major disappointment for the 2nd pick in the 07 draft. Not only is Umberger significantly better, Vorecek, the 7th pick in the same draft is much better than JVR. Meszaros is a good 3rd pairing d. The list of defensemen better than he is is rather long. Hell, the list of Flyers defensemen who are better than Meszaros is rather long- there are four of them.

The Flyers are deep and loaded. My point is it's tough for them do make any upgrades that are that impactful. Sure, in fantasyland they could upgrade their centers by getting Crosby or Malkin. They could upgrade their wings a little. Their best chance to upgrade is on the grinder line wings and 3rd pairing defense, unless you count goaltender and most fans believe they won't make any deals for a #1 goalie.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-08-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: flaming
TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
JVR is mediocre, a major disappointment for the 2nd pick in the 07 draft. Not only is Umberger significantly better, Vorecek, the 7th pick in the same draft is much better than JVR. Meszaros is a good 3rd pairing d. The list of defensemen better than he is is rather long. Hell, the list of Flyers defensemen who are better than Meszaros is rather long- there are four of them.

The Flyers are deep and loaded. My point is it's tough for them do make any upgrades that are that impactful. Sure, in fantasyland they could upgrade their centers by getting Crosby or Malkin. They could upgrade their wings a little. Their best chance to upgrade is on the grinder line wings and 3rd pairing defense, unless you count goaltender and most fans believe they won't make any deals for a #1 goalie.
Upshall would be a good upgrade. I don't actually see what Umberger would much do for you guys. For someone who might be more available, and add something helpful to your playoff run...perhaps Penner of the Oilers'? Power forwards are way useful in the playoffs, and Penner might not need as much as other upgrades.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-08-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: qdp
slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Maybe I missed something as I haven't paid attention to JVR recently, but has he become "not a chance in hell," "that's crappy value" territory?

Not that I'd trade Umberger right now at all unless it addressed a significant weakness. I'm happy where he is right now.
He's well below Umberger's point total in each year they've played full seasons. It'd be like trying to offer Brassard straight up for Spezza, only Brassard's doing better.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:46 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The list of defensemen better than Meszaros is rapidly shrinking.
Meszaros has been awesome this season but I am waiting to see how he does without a stay at home defenseman like O'Donnell. Meszaros has been out of position a lot, but with O'Donnell back there covering him up that pairing has been the top third D pairing in the league. Meszaros has the flare and O'Donnell brings the toughness and grit back there in front of the goalie.

As for RJ or Upshall. Not going to happen. Rj makes too much money for us (no we won't trade a D to clear up space) and Upshall just is too valuable for the Coyotes to part with.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
whskybarJM

Quote:
How badly do you want them?

Are you willing to send either Carter or Giroux?
Quote:
I'd guess the Flyers could get Umberger for Carle or Coburn plus a pick or prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Quote:

no to all of these...

our third d pairing is fantastic, meszaros is having a great year. doing everything one could ask of him.

im just want upshall or rj back cause they were a good time in philly... i wouldnt trade JVR unless i was blown away. i am not a fan of zherdev, even though he will put up a goal when its needed. I want somebody else with richards and nodl

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
whskybarJM

by the way... its JVR's second year in the league. It was well known the number 2 for that class would not be an immediate impact and would take a bit to develop.

he needs to step up big time though

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

ITT, lots of people talking about the flyers, but have no idea how their players actually play.

Really? Leek are you seriously talking about the flyers upgrading on defense. Just admit you were wrong please. Mez leads the league in +-, and OD has been a beast.

I would love upshall here, but we can't afford him due to the lack of prospects.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:31 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
The problem with the Coyotes is, Upshall would be depth on the Flyers, but he's the Coyotes leading goal scorer. We're in the playoff picture. It can't be done without one side getting screwed.
the other part is the flyers dont have the assets to do multiple deals so unless pheonix would consider zherdev+ for upshall and pyatt the flyers dont actually improve thier team other than on a morale basis by acquiring upshall.

Quote:

voracek is getting pp time which is half the difference between the two players, the flyers are being patient with jvr and he hasnt disapointed yet. hes far from mediocre and has begun showing flashes of the player hes going to be. without a bad team to showcase his talent on which is traditionally what happens with high drafted players jvr is taking a little longer to develop.

the problem is that flyerdom is a whole lot like fantasyland. meszaros who is being debated was a top paiting guy is on our 3rd the reality of his position is probably somewhere in the middle. the same is true for upshall who would be a nice depth addition but is a top line player for pheonix. we already have better players at top positions so an upgrade for a 3rd liner probably means someone off another teams second or possibly 1st line. the perception of value is just hard to figure once that becomes a necessity

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:50 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

JVR has looked really good for the past couple months. He gets no PP time so if you're just looking from afar at his stats you'll come up with the wrong conclusion on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderFan1 View Post
And that list is still quite large.

Enormous actually.
Haven't watched much of him this year, eh?

Is he a #1? No. But he's been terrific this year.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote