HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do the Rangers have the same problems, year, after year, after year, after year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
  #1
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,704
vCash: 500
Why do the Rangers have the same problems, year, after year, after year, after year?

This team can't score, has a bantam-level powerplay, and has no big bodies to keep the opponent out from in front. These are the exact same problems the Rangers have had every year, since I'm knee-high to Theo Fleury. Why aren't they ever addressed?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
  #2
The Mouth
Registered User
 
The Mouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
This team shows up plays hard almost every night and is young. I haven't seen this since late 1979.

I am overjoyed this is a team you can take pride in. Winning isn't everything, but it does stop threads like this.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
  #3
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
This team shows up plays hard almost every night and is young. I haven't seen this since late 1979.

I am overjoyed this is a team you can take pride in. Winning isn't everything, but it does stop threads like this.
I'm not saying the team isn't young and promising, I just wanna know why it's always the same problems. At this rate, the future contenders everyone is excited about won't be able to score on the PP either.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:29 PM
  #4
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,817
vCash: 500
I don't know about no big bodies... I see a lot of big guys out there.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
  #5
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I don't know about no big bodies... I see a lot of big guys out there.
On defense?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
  #6
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,700
vCash: 500
We're behind the curve, that's why. What we started doing in 05 was what good clubs have been doing since 2000 and it's going to take time to fix that. Even then you can say we're even more behind the curve because instead of tanking we went and got Jagr who carried our team.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:32 PM
  #7
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We're behind the curve, that's why. What we started doing in 05 was what good clubs have been doing since 2000 and it's going to take time to fix that. Even then you can say we're even more behind the curve because instead of tanking we went and got Jagr who carried our team.
Yeah but I have no regrets about that. The 2007 team that lost to Buffalo was my favorite since 1994. I loved that team, and a bounce here, a bounce there, they have a shot at the Cup. They were close to beating Buffalo.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:32 PM
  #8
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Management, like our fanbase, has become completely satisfied with mediocrity.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
  #9
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Yeah but I have no regrets about that. The 2007 team that lost to Buffalo was my favorite since 1994. I loved that team, and a bounce here, a bounce there, they have a shot at the Cup. They were close to beating Buffalo.
I agree, but it was a big gamble and as much as I loved Jagr bringing us back into the playoffs, it really didn't do much to help propel us.

I do think we're finally seeing a team form that can be a contender, but we're still fixing issues that have plagued us because it takes more than a few years to develop an elite PMD or number 1 center, and we've only really started dedicating the club to trying to do so 5 years ago.

And of course, Jessiman.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
  #10
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

And of course, Jessiman.
Don't say the J-word

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
  #11
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
None of our defensemen are small, at all. And our defensemen are not an issue. When was the last time the Rangers have had this many solid young defensemen?

Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh

There's literally no flaws worth noting about any of those four.

And the Rangers just drafted McIlrath for that big, mean defenseman. It takes time to develop these guys.

As far as the Power Play goes, its just as much the coaching staff as it is the players. The coaching staff needs to coach the proper way to run a Power Play.

Stepan and Anisimov on pace for 40+ points. Dubinsky already at 40+ points.

The talent and work ethic is there. Inconsistency comes with young teams. Eventually the consistency will come.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:42 PM
  #12
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Pretty simple. The team hasn't developed a legitimate franchise player outside of the goaltending position since Brian Leetch, and it has been decades since the team has developed a legitimate first line forward. DECADES.

For whatever the reason, whether it's Dolan, Sather or a combination, these people refuse to do what is necessary to build a winner. They don't see the need to build a contending team, or they simply don't know how to. And, of course, as a previous poster mentioned, this doesn't seem to bother the majority of the fanbase, who fall all over themselves to praise the arrival of complimentary players and role players instead of being outraged at the fact that they're constantly being asked to pay more and more for the same inferior product, year after year. I've never seen hockey fans of an original six franchise get so excited over average bottom six forwards. I can't fathom how professional hockey fans get excited over a team that, year after year, plays beer league style hockey because they don't have enough talent to compete any other way.

I've said it all year, the only chance this club has of being a Stanley Cup contender at anytime in the near future is the possibility that a 31 year old free agent will sign with us this summer. That's how poorly managed this franchise is. They chance what should be their number one objective to an event that has so many variables.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:59 PM
  #13
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much
 
LotsOfHags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
Give the team some time. Were very young at the moment. 2-5 years and you'll be surprised unless Sather does some stupid moves giving away our young core.

LotsOfHags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:59 PM
  #14
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,593
vCash: 500
While I do think we are A. on the right track, B. are doing things the "right way", and C. are icing a team that works hard.... I was thinking about this on the way home, tonight.

We will get back on track and Gabby will come around. I just wish a genie would visit me tomorrow and grant me 1 (or 2) wishes: EC and Drury to disappear. They aren't part of the future...at all... Prospal isn't either, but I like him, and he brings some much needed offense.

the sky isn't falling...

**noteworthy** OP has almost 500 posts in less than a month on the site..hahaha

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:03 PM
  #15
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,711
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
While I do think we are A. on the right track, B. are doing things the "right way", and C. are icing a team that works hard.... I was thinking about this on the way home, tonight.

We will get back on track and Gabby will come around. I just wish a genie would visit me tomorrow and grant me 1 (or 2) wishes: EC and Drury to disappear. They aren't part of the future...at all... Prospal isn't either, but I like him, and he brings some much needed offense.

the sky isn't falling...

As for the question, the simple answer is that Sather and Dolan have no clue how to build a legitimate contender. Sting put it perfectly.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:14 PM
  #16
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
At least the future looks bright after this year, the past 3 years have been dark.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:27 PM
  #17
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
The GM has to go. He's had far too long to get it right.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:29 PM
  #18
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,511
vCash: 500
Lack of Skill


Team simply has not been able to draft Elite level scoring. Maybe Cherry would have been that, but who knows.

Staal looks like he could get there on the blueline and of course Henrik, but none of our forwards, traditional scorers are elite skilled players.


I'm not bashing the draft. Its been MUCH better and these guys are decent good hard working... non elite players.

All the contenders have several homegrown Elite players. Crosby/Malkin, Brahvechkin/Backstrom, Carter/Richards, Dats/Zetterberg, Towes/Kane, Stamkos/St Louis (don't laugh TB is capable of messing teams up in the playoffs)

Rangers just have not drafted the Elite scorer, and its a hard role to fill ufa. Gabby is one guy, even when he's hot it's not enough.


All that said.... maybe Stepan develops into a dominant 1st line C. Maybe MZA develops into something really special. Thats what its going to take to make this team a contender. Its very hard today to build a contender UFA style

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:35 PM
  #19
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Lack of Skill


Team simply has not been able to draft Elite level scoring. Maybe Cherry would have been that, but who knows.

Staal looks like he could get there on the blueline and of course Henrik, but none of our forwards, traditional scorers are elite skilled players.


I'm not bashing the draft. Its been MUCH better and these guys are decent good hard working... non elite players.

All the contenders have several homegrown Elite players. Crosby/Malkin, Brahvechkin/Backstrom, Carter/Richards, Dats/Zetterberg, Towes/Kane, Stamkos/St Louis (don't laugh TB is capable of messing teams up in the playoffs)

Rangers just have not drafted the Elite scorer, and its a hard role to fill ufa. Gabby is one guy, even when he's hot it's not enough.
I'm still pissed at the McNaught and Wilson picks.

Many of those players (Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Backstrom/Toews/Kane/Stamkos) were top 3 picks. Take them out and those teams are nowhere near as good. Those teams got lucky, that can't happen to every team.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:45 PM
  #20
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
This team shows up plays hard almost every night and is young. I haven't seen this since late 1979.

I am overjoyed this is a team you can take pride in. Winning isn't everything, but it does stop threads like this.
its scary how much ive agreed with you the past few months....its like youve stopped being an act, and started to be yourself.

Keep it up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
  #21
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I'm still pissed at the McNaught and Wilson picks.

Many of those players (Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Backstrom/Toews/Kane/Stamkos) were top 3 picks. Take them out and those teams are nowhere near as good. Those teams got lucky, that can't happen to every team.

Those teams were HORRENDOUS going into those lottery drafts. I would say those fanbases earned their heady picks. Rangers are just never that bad.

Rangers got lucky with Lundqvist. They will have to get lucky again

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:17 AM
  #22
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,892
vCash: 500
Awards:


This discussion starts and ends here.

Lack of a legitimate number one center? Slats tried and failed with Gomez and Drury. Could have had Parise, Getzlaf, Kesler or Zajac, but instead had Jessiman and Korpikoski.

Lack of PP stars? Redden, Wade. Kotalik, Ales. Among others. We've tried to address this and failed.

Ron Low. Bryan Trottier. Awful coaching hires.

My head nearly exploded when we had the Sather Appreciation Thread earlier this year. As long as the guy is running the franchise, we're going to continue to swing and miss.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:55 AM
  #23
skymachine
Registered User
 
skymachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Pretty simple. The team hasn't developed a legitimate franchise player outside of the goaltending position since Brian Leetch, and it has been decades since the team has developed a legitimate first line forward. DECADES.

For whatever the reason, whether it's Dolan, Sather or a combination, these people refuse to do what is necessary to build a winner. They don't see the need to build a contending team, or they simply don't know how to. And, of course, as a previous poster mentioned, this doesn't seem to bother the majority of the fanbase, who fall all over themselves to praise the arrival of complimentary players and role players instead of being outraged at the fact that they're constantly being asked to pay more and more for the same inferior product, year after year. I've never seen hockey fans of an original six franchise get so excited over average bottom six forwards. I can't fathom how professional hockey fans get excited over a team that, year after year, plays beer league style hockey because they don't have enough talent to compete any other way.

I've said it all year, the only chance this club has of being a Stanley Cup contender at anytime in the near future is the possibility that a 31 year old free agent will sign with us this summer. That's how poorly managed this franchise is. They chance what should be their number one objective to an event that has so many variables.
Good post. I feel every year the fanbase on here gets so excited on our bright future, and while yes this is justifiable in some ways, usually it comes down to skaters with 3rd line potential. Look back 4-5 years ago, everybody was absolutely stoked for our amazing future with names such as Prucha, Dawes, Immonen, Byers, Sangs, Korps, Montoya, Moore, A. Giroux, Baranka. And while guys like Staal, Callahan, Girardi and Dubinsky have panned out into solid NHLers, there was/is nothing that is going to put our team into the next level, skaters that teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, Wash, Detroit, TB, Philly, even NJ have been able to draft/develop. Despite this, I prefer the current state of the Rangers then 10 years ago where they were freely trading their future away for overpaid, over-the-hill veterans.

While Henrik may be the one homegrown legit franchise player the Rangers currently have, goaltending no longer gets you to the finals, just ask Chicago, Philly, Detroit, etc.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:14 AM
  #24
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
NY does not have the same problem year after year

the same problem was paying high salaries to players who either didn't want to be in NY or didn't follow the game plan

that is not the case here

so I don't buy it

rangers have to tweak things but its not the same problem

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:12 AM
  #25
Jxmarts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I'm still pissed at the McNaught and Wilson picks.

Many of those players (Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Backstrom/Toews/Kane/Stamkos) were top 3 picks. Take them out and those teams are nowhere near as good. Those teams got lucky, that can't happen to every team.
The Rangers management won't allow the team to tank, so acquiring a top 3 pick has been next to impossible. That said, I'm quite pleased that we're finally seeing some youth come through.

I liked the 2010 draft because it was balanced. The Rangers drafted both size and skill, and you need both in your system. McIlrath & Thomas will be valuable players. Wilson & McNaught were late picks, 5th & 7th rounders respectively. You didn't mention Jesper Fasth, who was drafted 6th between them, who might be the steal of the bottom half of the draft. It was a nice balanced draft.

Drafting grit in the bottom rounds is never a bad idea. Wilson has the tools to be another Brandon Prust, and who wouldn't accept that from a 5th rounder? Unfortunately McNaught has been hurt most of the season, but he still might catch on as a heavyweight. Better to grab one in the late rounds than to sign the likes of Brashear or Boogaard to expensive contracts. The 7th round is a crap shoot. Is it any worse a pick than other recent picks like Danny Hobbs, Lucas Zeliska, Ryan Russell & Mikhail Pashnin, who will never play in the NHL in any shape or form?

The problem for the Rangers with regard to the draft isn't that they picked Wilson & McNaught. It's been that neither of the Italian Stallions, consecutive 1st rounders Sanguinetti or DelGotto, have developed. Sangs was a total bust, and DelZotto is in the midst of an awful sophmore jinx. If just one of them was contributing offensively on the backline as projected, the Rangers team would look entirely different.


Last edited by Jxmarts: 02-09-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.