HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Clock on Avery has to be Ticking

Old
02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The stupid plays that the OP speaks of wouldn't even happen if at any point Avery was actually playing a role he was suited for, but as is usually the case, most people on this team are playing in a role they aren't good enough to fill.

Why is Avery the puck carrier and playmaker on nearly every line he plays on? Because this team doesn't have any actual playmakers! So they try to force players who aren't up to it into doing it. Big surprise that this is usually unsuccesful.

Avery is certainly not as effective as he once was, because he no longer has the freedom to play his game. Still, he's a smart player positionally, he still draws a lot of penalties, and he still makes some good, quick passes. Most of the negatives in his game are only there as a result of the poor construction of this team, with it's many holes and numerous redundant parts.
I agree but then if the coaching staff can't or won't play him in the capacity he is most suited for than is the OP's question valid. Is Avery still suited for the make up of this team? Just sayin.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:33 PM
nyrleetch

Fedantenko comes back and Christensen can sit. That guy is invisible in every aspect but the shootout and with MZA and Wolski who really needs him?

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Stepan2Dubi

First off why don't everyone jump on cally artie or boyle. Avery brings heart day in and day out. Its not his fault if he coughs on someone and gets a call for it. Trots ruined him. He may turn the puck over time to time but when he is on the ice he gets everyone going. They should just let him be him and get everyone they play off there game. That's what he's good at he just trying to hard not to loose the game over a B*ll#@-t call.

Stepan2Dubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:37 PM
bscharf

Avery Was Our Best Player Tonight In Detroit...

He Has Been Good All Year When Getting A Lot Of Minutes

He Plays His Heart Out And Is Great Behind The Net.

Hes Proven He Deserves 14-15 Mins A Night

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

There are a lot of pro's and con's to Avery's game. You have to look at the big picture. Not sure if it's all worth 1.9M (cap hit) though.

Thought he was great tonight, actually, which is what surprises me about this thread. Why now?

I have a feeling he's a goner after this year though.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Provolone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
There are a lot of pro's and con's to Avery's game. You have to look at the big picture. Not sure if it's all worth 1.9M (cap hit) though.

Thought he was great tonight, actually, which is what surprises me about this thread. Why now?

I have a feeling he's a goner after this year though.
If boogaard gets signed for 1.5, than Avery is definitely worth it. And i don't expect him to be cut loose by the Rangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Funny how this thread was made when Avery was argurably our best player tonight.
Like the anti-zuccarello thread on here. It's unreal that a 3rd/4th line player is the
scapegoat for the NYR woes.

For some of us, Avery feels like a Claude Lemieux in the playoffs. I know it's overestimating him, but i still remember that series vs. the Devils. Which is why i'm an Avery lover and or apologist.

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:44 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

I liked his game yesterday, too bad the rest of the boys couldn't match it...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:35 AM
eco's bones

The clock ticks on all players-great or small. Some have more longevity than others.

Avery is pretty much the same production wise as he's been. He's been playing fairly well apart from the fact that he's mostly getting 4th line duties and can't seem to buy a goal. He's got lots of shots--he hasn't been finishing. Just go look at the stats. I believe he's over 100 shots on goal now. How many other 4th liners around the league have that many? Has he been unlucky?--somewhat but he's not a good finisher. He does play hard. He has been setting up plays. He's been dropping the gloves. He's not been getting tons of minutes. He's not the greatest in his defensive end but he's not terrible either. He plays hard. I think I've said that but it bears repeating.

He's not very tradeable. We all know why. Put him in Hartford? Who down there is ready to replace him? Would make the Rangers a better team? No one. After this season he has one year left on his current contract. I'm not sure he'll be re-signed by us after that because a) he won't be getting anywhere near $4 mil again--so he'd have to accept a big pay cut and I'm not sure he would and b) he might not fit into the Rangers plans as they have more youngsters like Kreider, Hagelin, hopefully Grachev, Weise and maybe Thomas and Werek who should be ready to at least compete for jobs by then.

For the time being though he adds pizzazz to the lineup. Hopefully he'll start scoring the odd goal--he got stopped on a breakaway tonight. Not at all ready to pull the plug on him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:27 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
He's been one of the Rangers better forwards the last few weeks regardless of stats.

The guys that are expected to carry the offensive load have been looking for caddies.

Final point is that Avery is the LEAST of our worries.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I think Avery has played well the last few games, and hey why should we blame him for last nights loss when he drew two late penalties. It was our top two lines that needed to score.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:50 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

As somebody correctly eluded to earlier, the Rangers dont need "energy" or "pizzazz". They need goal scoring. Prust makes Avery expendable.

Everyone talks about the postseason, and if the Rangers are to get there, they should probably rely on Fedotenko's two-way play and EC's shootout prowess more than Avery's attributes.

Nobody is blaming Avery for the losing streak. But it seems like the return of Fedotenko may very well spell the beginning of some healthy scratches.

We'll see.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:55 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
As somebody correctly eluded to earlier, the Rangers dont need "energy" or "pizzazz". They need goal scoring. Prust makes Avery expendable.

Everyone talks about the postseason, and if the Rangers are to get there, they should probably rely on Fedotenko's two-way play and EC's shootout prowess more than Avery's attributes.

Nobody is blaming Avery for the losing streak. But it seems like the return of Fedotenko may very well spell the beginning of some healthy scratches.

We'll see.
I doubt it's Avery that gets scratched.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:57 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:

We'll see.
Fail.

Avery is an important player to this team. His 19 assists are good for third on the team, and I'm fairly certain he leads the Rangers in even strength assists.

He brings a ton more to the table then EC.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:10 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Fail.

Avery is an important player to this team. His 19 assists are good for third on the team, and I'm fairly certain he leads the Rangers in even strength assists.

He brings a ton more to the table then EC.

LOL.

A ton......

Ok, I'm game. Forget the search for a No. 1 center. We can have Adam Oates Avery center the top line since he's piling up all these assists.

We'll just ignore the 2% shooting percentage.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Vitto79

correct me if I am wrong but even if Avery was traded did the team acquiring him not have to pay the full bill/ 4 million?

Or do they still only have to pay 2 million?

I think Prospal, Feds and any UFA walk next yr. If you look at the lineup and whats coming up you have to think they go with more youth and save every penny for Richards

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolski, Stepan, Callahan
Grachev, Anisimov,Zuccarello
Avery, Boyle, Prust
Boogaard, Weise

possibly Kreider and Hagelin get a sniff?

I think Christensen is a gonner as is Gilroy at the deadline. Just a hunch

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
correct me if I am wrong but even if Avery was traded did the team acquiring him not have to pay the full bill/ 4 million?

Or do they still only have to pay 2 million?

I think Prospal, Feds and any UFA walk next yr. If you look at the lineup and whats coming up you have to think they go with more youth and save every penny for Richards

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolski, Stepan, Callahan
Grachev, Anisimov,Zuccarello
Avery, Boyle, Prust
Boogaard, Weise

possibly Kreider and Hagelin get a sniff?

I think Christensen is a gonner as is Gilroy at the deadline. Just a hunch
If you spent a 1/16 of the time reading the CBA as you did posting awful proposals, you would know the answer to the Avery question. Yes, teams trading for him would be on the hook for his entire cap-hit. Which is exactly why Avery is non-tradeable.

And there is no hunch regarding EC and Gilroy. You've been trying to trade them for the last 2 season's w/o a single approval.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:53 AM
MAYO

I think the OP got into Grand Pa's hooch!! Aves has been one of our better players the last week. He seems to be one of the only guys who actually gives a crap about this team. Heres a guy who is third on this team in ass. still draws penalties, can move the puck and I hate to say it, but I think he has the teams best face off %!!!! As for his 2% shooter rating, he has the right idea, get the puck to the net, but no one is capable to get their a** there to create traffic or pick up the rebounds!!! I can't believe you Avery haters waste space on this site with these posts, this team has way bigger issues then worrying about a 4th liner, who just so happens to be better than our 1st liners at the moment.

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He'll be here one more year. That's fine by me. His contract isn't totally unreasonable and he remains a relatively productive player, even though he can't score a goal to save his life right now.

If nothing else, he hustles and sticks up for his teammates. He's not a detriment to the team in any way.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He'll be here one more year. That's fine by me. His contract isn't totally unreasonable and he remains a relatively productive player, even though he can't score a goal to save his life right now.

If nothing else, he hustles and sticks up for his teammates. He's not a detriment to the team in any way.
That's good an all, but seriously, what is up with your lack of avatarness? Get your act together, 2k2. Your slipping!

Old
02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
That's good an all, but seriously, what is up with your lack of avatarness? Get your act together, 2k2. Your slipping!
I'm going through a sports malaise and can't identify anyone I'd want as my avatar. Still too soon for me to do a Jets one, the Rangers piss me off, and obviously **** the Mets. Something will come to me soon, hopefully.

EDIT: Bam, Tim Armstrong, my hero.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 02-08-2011 at 10:18 AM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm going through a sports malaise and can't identify anyone I'd want as my avatar. Still too soon for me to do a Jets one, the Rangers piss me off, and obviously **** the Mets. Something will come to me soon, hopefully.

EDIT: Bam, Tim Armstrong, my hero.
When in doubt, go with a hot chick.

EDIT: Or uh, Timmay~

Last edited by Boom Boom Geoffrion*: 02-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Have we really gotten to the point where we ignore an overall body of work and judge people on a game-by-game basis?

I'm looking at the big picture. I think it's time to move on. While I will never question Avery's work ethic or how much he cares for the franchise, city etc, you cant deny that the guyshould be replaced with Fedotenko.

That's all I'm advocating. For every great effort like he had tonight, he disappears and makes stupid plays the next 3 or 4 games.

He doesnt have the kind of impact he used to have on a nightly basis. It's more sporadic. because of that, i think he needs to sit when Fedotenko comes back. Fedotenko is much more versatile and reliable than Avery.
Everyone is in love with Brandon Prust. The only thing he does better than Avery is scrap. He's actually become a real liability in the O-zone as he cannot make plays or control the puck off the wall. If they were going to get 4th line minutes I would dress Prust. However, if they are going to get 3rd line minutes, Avery has to play and Prust sits when Feds gets back assuming there's no one else who deserves to sit instead.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Everyone is in love with Brandon Prust. The only thing he does better than Avery is scrap. He's actually become a real liability in the O-zone as he cannot make plays or control the puck off the wall. If they were going to get 4th line minutes I would dress Prust. However, if they are going to get 3rd line minutes, Avery has to play and Prust sits when Feds gets back assuming there's no one else who deserves to sit instead.
Now hold on, this is worse than thinking Avery is expendable. If u cannot see that Prust effort on the ice makes players around him better, u better watch the game a little closer. Boyle is half the player hes been without Prust playing on his line. Put Prust on any line and he makes that line better. First lets get rid of Avery and now Prust, the 2 key depth guys on the team that we need down the strecth and in the playoffs. I am really starting to see the mindset of some of the posters and it scary.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
haveandare

Quote:
When a team is starved for offense, the finger pointing can go in every direction.

Look at Avery's career goal totals -- he's pretty much been a 15-18 goals per season player.

This year he on pace for 3. Massive dropoff in an area the team needs help in.

You fail to see that his lack of goal scoring coupled with his poor decision making makes him a redundant player.

Give me a good enough reason why he should stay over Fedotenko, and maybe I'd listen.
I can't help but notice that you're hating on his lack of goal scoring and not even mentioning his assists so far this season. He's got a lot more than Fedotenko - in fact almost twice as many. Oh, and he has 2 more points despite nearly 4 minutes less ATOI. AND he can and does at least sometimes bring a serious agitation game that nobody else on this team is interested in bringing.

Are those good reasons?

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I am tired of him and his ****** play he really has worn out his welcome and is not the same sean avery that we all fell in love with when he first came here
He has been neutered by John Tortorella. He either plays this way or he is a goner.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote