HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs and Boston pursuing Kaberle and Phillips(Rangers & Sharks also pursuing Kaberle)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
  #51
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
From a Habs perspective, I'd be willing to part with Danny Kristo and a 3rd(since we don't have 2nd). Kristo is one of our better prospects, but I'd be willing to bite the bullet because I'm pretty confident Kaberle would re-sign(good fail safe in case of Markov) considering he and Plekanec are very good friends and Kaberle tried to get Plekanec to sign in T.O during the off-season.
I'd rather give a 1st than Kristo....

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
  #52
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Yeah it really is, going off the reported value of Kaberle.
first of all, the reported value is 2nd and a prospect for a rental kaberle, not an extended kaberle

second of all, werek, kreider, thomas are all prospects. all of which the leafs would be interested in. i doubt burke has any interest in grachev

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
  #53
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,162
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I'm definitely not opposed to this as a return if Kaberle is traded. It seems like i have heard a lot of hype for Grachev from Rangers fans over the past while, and if i'm not mistaken he seems to be heating up in the AHL?

We could certainly use a size injection, and a 45-55 pick will be good in this draft. I would be pleased if a deal like this went through. Of course the prospect of getting a 1st rounder is always a nice idea, but at this point it doesn't seem like that will be possible.
He's been very good lately in Connecticut. I believe he's PPG since January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
first of all, the reported value is 2nd and a prospect for a rental kaberle, not an extended kaberle

second of all, werek, kreider, thomas are all prospects. all of which the leafs would be interested in. i doubt burke has any interest in grachev
Why wouldn't he? He fits the Burke mold. North American(you can't really even tell he's Russian; he plays a very North American style and is incredibly fluent in English. No accent to speak of), big-bodied, tough, and talented. He'd get his chance with the Leafs, and he'd get a good shot in their top-6 with talented players, unlike with the Rangers, where he's a victim of depth.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
  #54
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Why wouldn't he? He fits the Burke mold. North American(you can't really even tell he's Russian; he plays a very North American style and is incredibly fluent in English. No accent to speak of), big-bodied, tough, and talented. He'd get his chance with the Leafs, and he'd get a good shot in their top-6 with talented players, unlike with the Rangers, where he's a victim of depth.
meh. just not a fan of the guy. doesn't bring much else to the table besides the big frame. I would prefer to try and keep kaberle if thats the best offer out there

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:15 PM
  #55
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,162
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
meh. just not a fan of the guy. doesn't bring much else to the table besides the big frame. I would prefer to try and keep kaberle if thats the best offer out there
I think Burke would absolutely be, though. And he brings a lot more than size; he has a ton of offensive talent. His problem is confidence imo.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
  #56
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ
 
Megan Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think Burke would absolutely be, though. And he brings a lot more than size; he has a ton of offensive talent. His problem is confidence imo.
Yeah, nothing says truculence like a fragile personality!

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
  #57
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job
 
Leafs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Romania
Posts: 4,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Burke would be stupid to let him go period. They guy is 8th in the leauge in scoring amongst defencemen, and thats on a team who hasn't been able to generate goals from point shots (generally where defencemen pick up their points). If Phaneuf could hit the net and/or we could generate a cycle game down low to increase the effectiveness of our point shots, Toronto would be much better than the 24th best offensive team in the league, and Kaberle would have be right up there with the league leaders.
There is a lot more wrong than our cycle game. That is one(probably the smallest) problem we have, and trading Kaberle could address one of our bigger concerns.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
  #58
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think Burke would absolutely be, though. And he brings a lot more than size; he has a ton of offensive talent. His problem is confidence imo.
Which immediately makes me suspicious of trading for him then and why the Rangers would be so willing to deal him.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
  #59
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,162
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Which immediately makes me suspicious of trading for him then and why the Rangers would be so willing to deal him.
He needs a change of scenery + our forward depth isn't giving him his opportunity.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
  #60
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,988
vCash: 500
Kaberle is not worth a 2nd and a prospect because if thats the value you now than it won't be when the deadline comes around especially when you have 4 to 5 teams bidding for his services...unless there is collusion involved. One team will bite and give up more than what Dreger mentioned earlier.

Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
  #61
MoreMogilny
Cap'n
 
MoreMogilny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
He's been very good lately in Connecticut. I believe he's PPG since January.

Why wouldn't he? He fits the Burke mold. North American(you can't really even tell he's Russian; he plays a very North American style and is incredibly fluent in English. No accent to speak of), big-bodied, tough, and talented. He'd get his chance with the Leafs, and he'd get a good shot in their top-6 with talented players, unlike with the Rangers, where he's a victim of depth.
I have only seen him play a mere few times (3 or 4) but i have liked what i've seen very much. A combination of size and skill would make one think he is a guy Burke would be quite interested in. There is a top 6 spot available on Kessel's line (though Wilson has just recently changed all of them) and he could definitely have every chance to succeed here.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
  #62
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
He needs a change of scenery + our forward depth isn't giving him his opportunity.
Why not just keep him in the minors a little while longer until someone like Drury expires?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
  #63
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
There is a lot more wrong than our cycle game. That is one(probably the smallest) problem we have, and trading Kaberle could address one of our bigger concerns.
Not really. Our cycle game would fix a lot of the problems we've been having. A strong cycle game keeps the puck in the opposition zone (so they're not getting chances on your goalie), opens up shots at the point, would allow Kessel to get higher quality scoring chances, and most importantly, allow us to support the puck better in our own zone. Instead of always having to try and jump-start the rush, we'd be able to move the puck out with much safer passes (getting rid of the giveaways), and play a dump + chase more often.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:36 PM
  #64
MoreMogilny
Cap'n
 
MoreMogilny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Not really. Our cycle game would fix a lot of the problems we've been having. A strong cycle game keeps the puck in the opposition zone (so they're not getting chances on your goalie), opens up shots at the point, would allow Kessel to get higher quality scoring chances, and most importantly, allow us to support the puck better in our own zone. Instead of always having to try and jump-start the rush, we'd be able to move the puck out with much safer passes (getting rid of the giveaways), and play a dump + chase more often.
It all sounds well and good, but with the way Wilson coaches, i can't see him implementing any of this. The Leafs are more of a straight rush team, and barely is a cycle initiated and held for long. Our skill guys seemingly don't have the strength to hold a cycle for very long at all.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:40 PM
  #65
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
It all sounds well and good, but with the way Wilson coaches, i can't see him implementing any of this. The Leafs are more of a straight rush team, and barely is a cycle initiated and held for long. Our skill guys seemingly don't have the strength to hold a cycle for very long at all.
Well Wilson needs to go too, but that's a different discussion. Our team doesn't cycle the puck well because they just don't have the personnel to do it. Phil Kessel is their 2nd biggest top 6 forward!

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
  #66
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,162
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Why not just keep him in the minors a little while longer until someone like Drury expires?
Because, all-around, our depth might still prevent him from breaking in:

Kreider
Dubinsky
Wolski

All down the left side.

And down the right side:

Gaborik
Callahan
Thomas
Zuccarello

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:42 PM
  #67
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,219
vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind Kabs on the Sharks for the right price.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:43 PM
  #68
MoreMogilny
Cap'n
 
MoreMogilny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oshawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Well Wilson needs to go too, but that's a different discussion. Our team doesn't cycle the puck well because they just don't have the personnel to do it. Phil Kessel is their 2nd biggest top 6 forward!
Haha, oh man. I guess i have never really thought about it, and i knew the top 6 was small, but it sounds hilarious to think that Kessel is the second biggest top 6 forward we have. Might be a small problem with that one.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:46 PM
  #69
4thliner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Both players are 32.

One is offensive dman while the other is a shutdown dman

However, only one of these two is a known playoff warrior with a ton of playoffs and finals experience leading his team playing the top pairing shutdown role. The other is a cherry-picker.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:46 PM
  #70
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
I'd imagine if Kaberle could be had for a 2nd + nothing major than Sather would pull the trigger. We add a dman at the deadline nearly every year and we have two 2nd round picks this draft.
You certainlly are imagining.

New Liskeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
  #71
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
I wouldn't mind Kabs on the Sharks for the right price.
Burke would probably push for Coyle if thats the case.

calcal798 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
  #72
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I'm not sure why the Habs would be after Kaberle when the d-corps is fully of puckmoving d-men. What we need is a strong stay at home d-man like Chris Philips.

Kaberle would be a luxury but he's not a necessity.
It would be a move for the future. Kaberle said he wanted a deal ready from the team he waives for. (I heard this on HF so may want to fact check that)

Either way I'm positive Habs aren't re-signing Markov.

I know a lot of habs fans will be angry and are downright expecting it, but habs have been moving in a new direction for a while now and Markov is a risk. I don't see Gauthier as a risk taker really. Markov is often injured. I think he'll take the downgrade in Kaberle and move on. A lesser player who plays 80 games is a better player for us.

Kaberle is no slouch. Why would the habs waste assets on Phillips with Markov and Gorges injured anyways. If they make a move it's not just for a run it's for the future.

Habs need offensive from the back end to get their forwards putting the puck in the net more.

They don't need another shutdown D like Phillips who might not even be great he's a risk given the season he's having. We already have on guy named Spacek and a more comparible Hammer (in a Phillips good season)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:56 PM
  #73
VRangers27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
first of all, the reported value is 2nd and a prospect for a rental kaberle, not an extended kaberle
second of all, werek, kreider, thomas are all prospects. all of which the leafs would be interested in. i doubt burke has any interest in grachev
From what I personally take from the entire situation, is that IF kaberle waives his NTC to go to another team then he is going to re-sign there, and I thought that was pretty obvious otherwise he is staying right here. Therefore Burke will be shopping Kaberle as if he were extended to a contract, it does not make sense to shop him as a rental because its common knowledge kaberle will more than likely resign. Other teams are well aware of this too and are going to use the "rental player" as a bargaining chip for trade propsals but it simply will not work, it is not beneficial to the Leafs as majority of people are just as happy if we resign him ourselves.

VRangers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
  #74
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
no it's really not
Yeah it really is.

How about doing a little more research on Grachev before saying it's not.

You'd be shocked at how little you actually know about the kid.

I'd hate to give him up as I'm a big fan of his and can still see him panning out to be a 30+ goal scorer, but you have to give to get.

You need to stop expecting a Kovalchuk/Hossa type return for Kaberle.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
  #75
burgess1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Don't think the Sens need anymore defensive prospects.
... but having Weber might might give Roman Wick someone to hang out with

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.