HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kypreos: "Kaberle wants to stay with the Leafs"

Old
02-08-2011, 10:21 PM
bobbyflex

vCash: 500
Kypreos: "Kaberle wants to stay with the Leafs"

I was watching the post-game on sportsnet. Kypreos stated that Kaberle wants sign an extension with the Leafs. Also said there is no beef with him and Wilson anymore and that there was an "understanding between them"

Just wanted to get this information out there as there seems to be a lot of misinformed posters who feel that Kaberle doesn't want to come back to the Leafs or that he is unhappy.

If Burke doesn't get the return he's looking for, I can definitely see him holding on to Kaberle as he has done for the past two summers when the NTC window was open.

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Well between him and Dreger there are conflicting opinions.

So who do we believe?

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

That's unlikely. The hivemind that is HFboards have already convinced me that he walks July 1st.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Well between him and Dreger there are conflicting opinions.

So who do we believe?
that's the issue. non-leaf fans will say dreger. leaf fans will say kypreos.

Old
02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Man Bear Pig

He wants out didn't you hear? Every Leafs troll on this site is reporting it.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
FrozenJagrt

So Dreger says only two or three teams are interested and he absolutely will not re-sign, Lebrun says 5 teams are seriously interested, Kypreos says Kaberle wants to re-sign. Who do we believe?

In a perfect world, Kaberle signs long term around the same amount of money. Let's face it Leafs fans, whatever value he brings will more than likely be underpayment. It makes no sense to trade him for a second and a mid-level prospect, the odds of anything less than an established roster player making the NHL and being as effective as him are slim. Let's hope Kypreos is right and TKabs sticks around for the rest of his career.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

He likes losing habitually.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
How about Tomas Kaberle?

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
markisonfire

Kessel wants to stay in Toronto, too. He's best buds with Kaberle.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:28 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
So Dreger says only two or three teams are interested and he absolutely will not re-sign, Lebrun says 5 teams are seriously interested, Kypreos says Kaberle wants to re-sign. Who do we believe?

In a perfect world, Kaberle signs long term around the same amount of money. Let's face it Leafs fans, whatever value he brings will more than likely be underpayment. It makes no sense to trade him for a second and a mid-level prospect, the odds of anything less than an established roster player making the NHL and being as effective as him are slim. Let's hope Kypreos is right and TKabs sticks around for the rest of his career.
exactly. if the best leafs can do is a prospect and a 2nd burke will keep him, like he's done before.

Old
02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Kaberle wants to stay in Toronto? Color me shocked...

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:30 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:

Pretty much this.

Trades are exciting, and probably a huge part of the reason so many want to see him traded. In facing reality though, it isn't exactly the smartest idea to trade Kaberle. Nobody on the team, or in the system can replace what he brings to the team. Losing him would punch a huge hole in our barely existant transition game.

With about 20 days to go, hopefully this whole Kaberle debacle gets put to bed permanently.

Old
02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Well, congrats Leaf fans?

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
seanlinden

Quote:

The man himself? He's constantly maintained that he wants to stay, and the only time he's agreed to waive his NTC is when he thought that being traded was a forgone conclusion, in which case it's better to control your destination.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

based on what i've posted in the other kaberle thread here and the one on the leafs board, i'd agree. In fact, i'd be surprised if kaberle didnt do everything possible to stay in toronto for the immediate and extended future.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
I was watching the post-game on sportsnet. Kypreos stated that Kaberle wants sign an extension with the Leafs. Also said there is no beef with him and Wilson anymore and that there was an "understanding between them"

Just wanted to get this information out there as there seems to be a lot of misinformed posters who feel that Kaberle doesn't want to come back to the Leafs or that he is unhappy.

If Burke doesn't get the return he's looking for, I can definitely see him holding on to Kaberle as he has done for the past two summers when the NTC window was open.
Here's the real question. Is anyone willing to give him a longer term contract for the money Kypreos claims he wants.

Kypreos also says Kaberle expects 5 years/ $25 million+. Somebody might make that mistake, but do you think the Leafs would? Doesn't sound like a deal Burke would do to me.

Quote:

I have to believe more than 2 or 3 teams are interested. Logic tells you more than 2 or 3 teams need to improve their transition game. As I posted above, I doubt he will sign for $4 million/year. Kypper has said many times he wants over $5 million /year. I believe he would re-sign in Toronto for a number of reasons, but not at a discount.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 02-08-2011 at 10:46 PM.
TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:47 PM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

Well that's that then

/hfboards

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:47 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Here's the real question. Is anyone willing to give him a longer term contract for the money Kypreos claims he wants.

Kypreos also says Kaberle expects 5 years/ $25 million+. Somebody might make that mistake, but do you think the Leafs would? Doesn't sound like a deal Burke would do to me.
$5 million is fair value for Kaberle. On the open market i think there may be a couple of teams that would go $5.5M+. He is on a great contract right now, but he deserves more, especially if guys like Komisarek are making $4.5M.

Old
02-08-2011, 10:49 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

If Burke thought Komisarek was worth 4.5 but Kaberle not worth 5+ then he needs to re-think his strategy, but hopefully he does and Kaberle is re-signed around the 5M range

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
LucicTrain*

just as i thought all long. guy is a loser and i want no part of him anywhere near my team. it takes a truly "special" player and i mean special in the worst way possible, to want to stay on board with that train wreck Toronto when you have a chance to go to a contender and possibly win a Cup. even his teammates trying to jump ship (Kessel/Versteeg) and this guy still doesnt get it. have fun fading off into oblivion in Laugh Land "Kabs"

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Interesting, since Kipper was one of the ones stating Kaber won't sign in the summer.

But of course I'm such a naive fool, Kaber would surely come out and state he wants out, ohhh what was i thinking.

And surely they will offer him a contract like the one they offered---- Sundin?

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
seanlinden

Quote:

I have to believe more than 2 or 3 teams are interested. Logic tells you more than 2 or 3 teams need to improve their transition game. As I posted above, I doubt he will sign for $4 million/year. Kypper has said many times he wants over $5 million /year. I believe he would re-sign in Toronto for a number of reasons, but not at a discount.
5 years + $25m to Tomas Kaberle wouldn't be a mistake. People look at Toronto's blueline and see the massive total pricetag, but forget that he's been one of the most underpaid non-ELC players in the league. Toronto's blueline pricetag is so high because they've got a $6.5m defenceman who's really more of a #2/3 guy than a #1, and have a $4.5m defenceman buried on their 3rd pair.

Burke really shouldn't have a problem giving him a full NTC aswell. People too often forget that it was never poor play on the part of Tomas Kaberle that has lead to 3 years of trade speculation... it's always been the returns we could get because he was on such a good contract. Give him a full NTC, he'll reward you with his excellent play and the discount that comes associated with any no-trade clause.

In the unlikely scenario it gets to the point where he's not earning his contract, put him on waivers.

Toronto needs a puckmover of Kaberle's calibre. They have one who wants to be in Toronto. They'd be fools to let that guy go. If the cap hit is too much, then they need to clear space from other areas (see Komisarek). 5 years shouldn't be a concern either. He's only 32 years old. Defencemen like him tend to get better with age because they use their smarts instead of their bodies. Kaberle has also been relatively injury free. Since the lockout, he played 82 games in 3/5 seasons (2 of which were Olympic seasons where he played for the Czechs). He missed 8 games with his first career concussion in 06-07, and 25 games with a nagging wrist injury in 08-09. That's a pretty clean bill of health.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-08-2011 at 11:02 PM.
seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
medhatcanuck

Hmm.. If I were Kaberle I'd considering moving. I'd want a chance to win while I could still play.
I guess it's a question of loyalty to Toronto or a winning attitude.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:56 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
$5 million is fair value for Kaberle. On the open market i think there may be a couple of teams that would go $5.5M+. He is on a great contract right now, but he deserves more, especially if guys like Komisarek are making $4.5M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
If Burke thought Komisarek was worth 4.5 but Kaberle not worth 5+ then he needs to re-think his strategy, but hopefully he does and Kaberle is re-signed around the 5M range
It's not the $5-5.5 million/year, it's the 5 years.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Hopefully he's right. I really want him finishing his career here.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote