HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs and Boston pursuing Kaberle and Phillips(Rangers & Sharks also pursuing Kaberle)

Old
02-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Both players are 32.

One is offensive dman while the other is a shutdown dman

However, only one of these two is a known playoff warrior with a ton of playoffs and finals experience leading his team playing the top pairing shutdown role. The other is a cherry-picker.
Define cherry -picker when describing a defenceman please.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:27 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Both players are 32.

However, only one of these two is a known playoff warrior with a ton of playoffs and finals experience leading his team playing the top pairing shutdown role. The other is a cherry-picker.
Wow, how did no one catch this gem.

Last I checked, Kaberle was a defenseman, and isn't named Dustin Byfuglien. He isn't a "cherry picker". Kaberle is by far more valuable and more talented than Phillips.

02-09-2011, 12:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Wow, how did no one catch this gem.

Last I checked, Kaberle was a defenseman, and isn't named Dustin Byfuglien. He isn't a "cherry picker". Kaberle is by far more valuable and more talented than Phillips.
To be fair, until his struggles this season, Phillips was a top 10 defensive defenseman in this league for many years.

Anyway, the Rangers can afford to deal Grachev and a 2nd for Kaberle as long as they have a plan as far as re-signing him without letting it interfere with what should be priority #1: Brad Richards. Acquiring both would actually make a ton of sense, as both would address the Rangers' biggest issues and instantly catapult them into Cup contender status.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:30 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
To be fair, until his struggles this season, Phillips was a top 10 defensive defenseman in this league for many years.
Yes, that is true. But saying Kaberle is a cherry picker....LOL.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Yes, that is true. But saying Kaberle is a cherry picker....LOL.
What's new lol Getting kind of pathetic if you ask me.

Old
02-09-2011, 12:38 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Both players are 32.

Phillips is a good player, but playoff warior? I would be curious as to how many playoff games Phillips has played vs Kaberle, not to mention Leafs playoff success against the Sens. How is Kaberle a cherry picker? Or did you just say that because it sounds cool and you don`t know what it means?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Yeah it really is.

How about doing a little more research on Grachev before saying it's not.

You'd be shocked at how little you actually know about the kid.

I'd hate to give him up as I'm a big fan of his and can still see him panning out to be a 30+ goal scorer, but you have to give to get.

You need to stop expecting a Kovalchuk/Hossa type return for Kaberle.
You're acting like Burke has to trade him.

Sure teams are interested but does Kaberle care if he wants to stay in Toronto?

Most leaf fans are fine with resigning him actually. He provides offence from our blueline which is already a weak point even from our forwards. Leads the team in assists. Hes a huge part of the team.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
You're acting like Burke has to trade him.

Sure teams are interested but does Kaberle care if he wants to stay in Toronto?

Most leaf fans are fine with resigning him actually. He provides offence from our blueline which is already a weak point even from our forwards. Leads the team in assists. Hes a huge part of the team.
But everything Leafs is crap remember. No value, worth a bunch of scrubs....

Old
02-09-2011, 12:41 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Playoff warrior, eh:

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:45 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Playoff warrior, eh:

I love this video.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Playoff warrior, eh:

HAHA!

Old
02-09-2011, 01:08 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRangers27 View Post
From what I personally take from the entire situation, is that IF kaberle waives his NTC to go to another team then he is going to re-sign there, and I thought that was pretty obvious otherwise he is staying right here. Therefore Burke will be shopping Kaberle as if he were extended to a contract, it does not make sense to shop him as a rental because its common knowledge kaberle will more than likely resign. Other teams are well aware of this too and are going to use the "rental player" as a bargaining chip for trade propsals but it simply will not work, it is not beneficial to the Leafs as majority of people are just as happy if we resign him ourselves.
This is an honest question... if Kaberle is so happy there; and is planning on resigning, why wouldn't Burke already have extended his contract? Not meaning to slight him or the team, but I'd think he would have already negotiated resigning him if he was in the plans, especially if he was going to try to go out and get 'non' rental value from him, otherwise, all you are going to get is rental value + the slight deadline mark up.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Burke would probably push for Coyle if thats the case.
And Burke would be laughed off the phone.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

If Montreal had a legitimate chance to acquire Kaberle. I would deal our first without hesitation. It would provide ample opportunity to sign him and hopefully move out Spacek and Kostitsyn to clear salary. If so we could potentially resign Markov since Hamrlik is done here and have one fantastic defensive lineup.

I simply cannot see this deal happens, especially not between Montreal and Toronto of all teams.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
If Montreal had a legitimate chance to acquire Kaberle. I would deal our first without hesitation. It would provide ample opportunity to sign him and hopefully move out Spacek and Kostitsyn to clear salary. If so we could potentially resign Markov since Hamrlik is done here and have one fantastic defensive lineup.

I simply cannot see this deal happens, especially not between Montreal and Toronto of all teams.
I wouldn't be surprised, Montreal would have to overpay though. I could really see him in NY. I'm sick of Boston all you get from them is talk and how interested they are..bla we've been hearing that for the past 3 years, either pay up or shut up. If I was Burke I would really focus on NY, MTL and SJ

Old
02-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, Montreal would have to pay overpay. I could really see him in NY. I'm sick of Boston all you get from them is talk and how interested they are..bla we've been hearing that for the past 3 years, either pay up or shut up. If I was Burke I would really focus on NY, MTL and SJ
What would we have to add in addition if we offered our first? I would have reservations moving Weber unless Kaberle agreed to a sign and trade.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Dark Knight
18 Wheeler Commander

Kaberle won't be dealt. He's got that unique skill that all teams in the NHL covet. He's not a bad defensive player by any stretch. He wants to be in Toronto. He has a full NTC for which his agent has said he'd most likely not waive (in plain English, only about 10 or so times). He has said he wants to re-sign with Toronto and finish his career here.

Not a lot of indication he's going to get dealt. The only time that I've been sure that he'd be a goner was last at the draft last year. Now? No chance. And I'm not disappointed at all saying that.

Toronto's media just doesn't get it. Oh, and by the way, if any player in the league deserves a NMC on his next contract, it's Tomas Kaberle.

02-09-2011, 02:09 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
[/B]

Phillips is a good player, but playoff warior? I would be curious as to how many playoff games Phillips has played vs Kaberle, not to mention Leafs playoff success against the Sens. How is Kaberle a cherry picker? Or did you just say that because it sounds cool and you don`t know what it means?
Kaberle attempting to check someone and play D might as well be a forward hanging out in the neutral zone.

The guy is a cream puff

Every damn year his name is out there, yet no one trades for him. Won't be any different this year.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:00 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Kaberle attempting to check someone and play D might as well be a forward hanging out in the neutral zone.

The guy is a cream puff

Every damn year his name is out there, yet no one trades for him. Won't be any different this year.
Perhaps because he has a NTC?

Cover up, your ignorance is showing.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:55 AM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
And Burke would be laughed off the phone.
Everybody's future 3rd liner for a top puckmover. Better make the most out of San Jose's unsuccessful yet still talented core before it degrades too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
What would we have to add in addition if we offered our first? I would have reservations moving Weber unless Kaberle agreed to a sign and trade.
Pacioretty. He's exactly the type of player we need, and one of my favourite up and coming players for that matter. High risk investment. You guys have Wisniewski anyways?

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post
Everybody's future 3rd liner for a top puckmover. Better make the most out of San Jose's unsuccessful yet still talented core before it degrades too much.
This discussion isn't about San Jose's core its about Kaberle and the teams interested in him. Maybe you've been reading HF scouting reports too much or didn't watch Coyle in the WJC. Whatever the reason you have a player that isn't going to play for you next year and are desperate to get rid of for assets. You think hes going to garner a top prospect? Laughable.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:08 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

some links would be nice

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Mojo19
Loyal Leafer...

If he goes to one of those teams... I imagine the return will look some like this:

From MTL
Louis Leblanc
1st Round 2011 (late pick)

From BOS
Joe Colborne/Jordan Caron
2nd Round 2011

From NYR
Evgeny Grachev
2nd Round 2011

From SJ
Joe Pavelski

I would prefer Grachev. But none of those deals really make Toronto an excellent team by any stretch of the imagination.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo027 View Post
If he goes to one of those teams... I imagine the return will look some like this:

From MTL
Louis Leblanc
1st Round 2011 (late pick)

From BOS
Joe Colborne/Jordan Caron
2nd Round 2011

From NYR
Evgeny Grachev
2nd Round 2011

From SJ
Joe Pavelski

I would prefer Grachev. But none of those deals really make Toronto an excellent team by any stretch of the imagination.
You have realist under avatar name fail

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:23 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I'm not sure why the Habs would be after Kaberle when the d-corps is fully of puckmoving d-men. What we need is a strong stay at home d-man like Chris Philips.

Kaberle would be a luxury but he's not a necessity.
Habs play a high-tempo puck possession type game. Much of their offense starts in their own end. Defensemen who can move the puck are greater importance for these style teams. It increases overall goals scored for, which Montreal stand 26th in the league. Need improvement.

I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal makes another move for a forward also. A big name moved.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote