HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Power Play QB

Old
02-09-2011, 02:59 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
I've been wanting Kaberle for a while now. He's exactly what we lack on the back end...provides plenty of mobility and stability; something we really lack. Has great vision and that will be handy on our horrid power play. If it's a sign and trade(not sure if that's allowed) or some kind of contract does occur and we know will occur after aquiring him...makes me wonder if Del Zotto is part of a deal. Hoping it's Gilroy though.

hpNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:31 AM
eco's bones

The only problem I have with bringing in Kaberle is how much it might cost--and the more it costs the more you have to think about trying to re-sign him and the question then becomes is he worth it?--say 4 years at $5 mil per or maybe even more. The Rangers do have younger assets that the Leafs would probably like--some of them may be kind of redundant--like we have Stepan, Anisimov--both very young centers, Boyle--still kind of young and guys like Werek, Horak etc. and it seems like one of those two guys could be moved easily enough. Grachev may be another possibility.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens but the current pwp clearly does not move the puck around nearly well enough. Yeah we could use a guy with a big shot as well but Chara and Pronger are not available.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 05:46 AM
jniklast

If it's true what Dreger is saying (2nd + prospect at most) I'd be very interested in trading for Kaberle, with the prospect being someone like Bourque. At that price we aren't even forced to re-sign him simply because he cost so much. That is similiar to the price of the average Sather deadline rental.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Ih8theislanders

I'd love Kaberle. He's UFA so if we lose out on Richards we can lock him up. He still has another good 2-3 years yet at or close to the level he's playing now. Anything 4 mil or under would be a solid deal.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Barnaby

Rumor has it that Erik Johnson could be available. I would certainly kick the tires on that one. I'd love to put him next to Sauer or Mcdonough... I'm not sure would it would cost, but I'd certainly call to ask.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:19 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'd love Kaberle. He's UFA so if we lose out on Richards we can lock him up. He still has another good 2-3 years yet at or close to the level he's playing now. Anything 4 mil or under would be a solid deal.
The level Kaberle is playing right now is the reason NHL execs believe he is worth at BEST a second round pick and a prospect. That is what Darren Dreger reported.

Kaberle has not played well. He is also 33 years old. Whether he hates Ron Wilson or he has some personal family issue,Kaberle has not played well this season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Rumor has it that Erik Johnson could be available. I would certainly kick the tires on that one. I'd love to put him next to Sauer or Mcdonough... I'm not sure would it would cost, but I'd certainly call to ask.
Actually, I'd put him next to Staal...there's your top defensive pairing for the next 5-7 years.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:32 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Unless Chris Drury retires and gets the entire $7M cap hit off the summer cap,the Rangers can't afford to re-sign their group IIs and have both Richards and Kaberle on the team unless the cap goes to $65M which is not happening.

A second round pick and a prospect(Ryan Bourque). Prospal plays 7 more games and he gets the $1.4M bonus. Kaberle would have $936,827 left if traded at the deadline. 41 days left. He would be the Rangers only move and they would have very little operating room for the remaining 6 weeks in the season. That doesn't not account for any performance bonuses to Zuccarello,MDZ and McD. They may have to include Gilroy in the deal for cap purposes. Gilroy would have $385,752 remaining at the deadline.

The Rangers can't put Frolov on LTI and use the money on other players because the bonuses would rollover to next season. You can't say the $1.4M is part of the $59.4M and we'll use the Frolov pro-rated money on replacement(s) and not have the bonus rollover.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Unless Chris Drury retires and gets the entire $7M cap hit off the summer cap,the Rangers can't afford to re-sign their group IIs and have both Richards and Kaberle on the team unless the cap goes to $65M which is not happening.

A second round pick and a prospect(Ryan Bourque). Prospal plays 7 more games and he gets the $1.4M bonus. Kaberle would have $936,827 left if traded at the deadline. 41 days left. He would be the Rangers only move and they would have very little operating room for the remaining 6 weeks in the season. That doesn't not account for any performance bonuses to Zuccarello,MDZ and McD. They may have to include Gilroy in the deal for cap purposes. Gilroy would have $385,752 remaining at the deadline.

The Rangers can't put Frolov on LTI and use the money on other players because the bonuses would rollover to next season. You can't say the $1.4M is part of the $59.4M and we'll use the Frolov pro-rated money on replacement(s) and not have the bonus rollover.
I don't understand why LTIR can't be used to pay for bonuses. It specifically states in the CBA that it can.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

I'd be okay with that...then send MDZ back to the AHL for more seasoning, and go with Staal/Girardi, Kaberle/Eminger and McD/Sauer as the D pairings. Of all the potential rentals, Kaberle, IMO, remains the best fit.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Vitto79

Who is out there on a lower scalle......guys like Babchuk, Foster,etc?

Thoughts? I think that may be the way to go for this year. Cheaper option that only takes a roster player like Gilroy, EC and a late pick to grab

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:51 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
The level Kaberle is playing right now is the reason NHL execs believe he is worth at BEST a second round pick and a prospect. That is what Darren Dreger reported.

Kaberle has not played well. He is also 33 years old. Whether he hates Ron Wilson or he has some personal family issue,Kaberle has not played well this season.
Uh, he kind of has. He's playing at a 50 point pace, as usual, while having an awful powerplay to work with. And he hasn't been awful in his own end, as usual, so I don't get the "he hasn't played well", because he has. The only reason his value is as low as it is is because of:

And the fact that he has a NTC he won't waive for a Western team.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

I think they should include Gilroy in the deal. Burke wanted him in the past, correct? Not saying that means he'd want him now but it'd give them somebody to replace Kaberle with.

2nd, Gilroy, prospect for Kaberle.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:34 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
One of my biggest concerns with our team is the 'fake' pass or shot, we do a horrid job of selling those on the PP. Even with such thin offensive skill we should be outworking some of these PK's instead of trying to use moves that work for Ovechkin and the like.
This is the game, thus you're correct 100% that deception is a must do thing. If in superbowl PIT quaterback fakes leg injury to make the opponent think that he will run the ball next and then passes instead with no movement problem, faking the shots or passes should be a huge part of any game. But... Put yourself into player's shoes. Coach tells you "keep it simple". What does it mean, do you think? Exactly.
Fancy fake, turnover, f-word, bench. Do wraparound and no one say a word other then "you almost got it". Why? No turnover on it, very rare, safe play. Who said "Safe is Death", can't remember...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:34 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Uh, he kind of has. He's playing at a 50 point pace, as usual, while having an awful powerplay to work with. And he hasn't been awful in his own end, as usual, so I don't get the "he hasn't played well", because he has. The only reason his value is as low as it is is because of:

And the fact that he has a NTC he won't waive for a Western team.
Agreed. I dont get the "he hasn't played well" either. He has. He has been very good of late in fact.

I'm not looking to lock this guy up long term. But I do believe he will help the PP a significant amount for the rest of this year. I can live with giving up a 2nd round pick, gilroy, and a prospect for him.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Jim Morrison

I believe this team is a PPQB and a GOOD power-play away from being a surprising team in the playoffs. There is no doubt of the work and hustle this team has.

Look at the 03-04 Flames. ONE player over 50 points and that's Iginla. And of course a star goaltender in Kipper. And one game away from winning the cup. If only Gaborik would wake up this team is very reminiscent of that team. Blue collar with a scorer and a star goaltender.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Ola

Quote:

Never listen to canadian media about how a player is playing.

One sec a player like Phaneuf is a lock to win a handful of Norris Trophy's, the other sec he is a worthless.

Whats wrong with Kaberle's play in Toronto? He can't win a cup on a team with Gabrovski as their best forward, and a has been and a rookie between the pipes... He is on pace to score 50 pts as a D on a worthless team and a PP on which he is the only solid piece on.

Mats Sundin was in the same situation in Toronto. For 15 years they surrounded him with guys like Jonas Höglund and co. The best winger he EVER got to play with was like a 36 y/o Alex Mogilny. For 15 years. lol. Still he always scored a PPG at least. Whats the sentiment in Toronto after he left? Nice player, but not a winner or something like that lol. Its kind of like replacing Graves and co on the 94' team with guys like Jonas Höglund, Marcel Hossa, Jason Ward and co. Put Dunham in net instead of Richter and replace Leetch with Igor Ulanov, and ask Mess to carry that team past the Islanders in 94'..

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:11 AM
MAYO

I like Kaberle, but if Nashville was to start to slide before the trade dead line, for the same money I would much prefer to have Shea Weber on this team!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
I believe this team is a PPQB and a GOOD power-play away from being a surprising team in the playoffs. There is no doubt of the work and hustle this team has.

Look at the 03-04 Flames. ONE player over 50 points and that's Iginla. And of course a star goaltender in Kipper. And one game away from winning the cup. If only Gaborik would wake up this team is very reminiscent of that team. Blue collar with a scorer and a star goaltender.
Brad Richards the MVP took the Cup right out of Calgary's hands almost by himself .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote