HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs and Boston pursuing Kaberle and Phillips(Rangers & Sharks also pursuing Kaberle)

Old
02-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo027 View Post
If he goes to one of those teams... I imagine the return will look some like this:

From MTL
Louis Leblanc
1st Round 2011 (late pick)

From BOS
Joe Colborne/Jordan Caron
2nd Round 2011

From NYR
Evgeny Grachev
2nd Round 2011

From SJ
Joe Pavelski

I would prefer Grachev. But none of those deals really make Toronto an excellent team by any stretch of the imagination.
I don't see how you would think it would be logical for SJ to give up a 2nd line centre signed for a few years for a weak willed offensive dman that will most likely sign only on the east coast.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-20 HR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
mcginn, coyle, doherty, or your 1st?
Ginner + Mitchell + Huskins for Kaberle I believe it works cap wise
Leafs could just waive Huskins and Mitchell

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:53 AM
remer

Quote:
If he goes to one of those teams... I imagine the return will look some like this:

From MTL
Louis Leblanc

From BOS
2nd Round 2011

From NYR
Evgeny Grachev
2nd Round 2011

From SJ
Joe Pavelski

I would prefer Grachev. But none of those deals really make Toronto an excellent team by any stretch of the imagination.
Leaf Nation Realist????????????

No way Kaberle is worth anything close to the Boston or Montreal deals. That is basically a top end 1st and a 2nd. Not even close. I hardly doubt Kaberle goes straight up for Pavelski either.
Maybe a 2nd rd pick and a mid prospect is more likely or if Kabs says "No", than the Leafs will get nothing.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:55 AM
odishabs

from a habs perspective, we do not have a 2nd rounder.

so you could probably get a first and a low level prospect.

Kristo and a 1st
for
Kaberle

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:15 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
If Montreal had a legitimate chance to acquire Kaberle. I would deal our first without hesitation. It would provide ample opportunity to sign him and hopefully move out Spacek and Kostitsyn to clear salary. If so we could potentially resign Markov since Hamrlik is done here and have one fantastic defensive lineup.

I simply cannot see this deal happens, especially not between Montreal and Toronto of all teams.
I agree. I would easily trade 1st rd pick, Maxwell and Spacek.

A slight overpayment by giving a 1st, but in return they gotta eat up Spaceks contract. It's only 1 year beyond this year. I think they would do it and we could still pursue a top 6 forward or Phillips.

If the idea is to win, which wouldn't have been the direction I took, there might not be a better time to go allin with this current group.

I don't think PG is creative enough to get it done though.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:39 AM
CellarDweller0

I'm betting that nobody wants Kaberle for the asking price which in most minds is an overpayment. He won't be moved, so I hope he is resigned.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:46 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Montreal could be the most likely place he signs in the off-season.
If he want to loose an additional 20% in income tax.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:54 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
He needs a change of scenery + our forward depth isn't giving him his opportunity.
How does Grachev need a change of scenery? How is our forward depth blocking him? He's 20 years old and scoring at a PPG over the last month in the AHL. You think Prospal, Fedotenko or Christensen are going to block him from getting a spot next year? You think Avery will? I don't care that he's a left wing and we have Dubi and Wolski already. If he's ready, a spot will be found, either on the 3rd line LW or elsewhere.

Grachev isn't getting traded.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:56 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
How does Grachev need a change of scenery? How is our forward depth blocking him? He's 20 years old and scoring at a PPG over the last month in the AHL. You think Prospal, Fedotenko or Christensen are going to block him from getting a spot next year? You think Avery will? I don't care that he's a left wing and we have Dubi and Wolski already. If he's ready, a spot will be found, either on the 3rd line LW or elsewhere.

Grachev isn't getting traded.
Grachev doesn't seem to be doing very well in Connecticut....maybe if he's traded, he'll wake up a bit. As I posted before, we have Kreider, Dubinsky, and Wolski down the LW side, as well as Zuccarello, Callahan, Gaborik, and Thomas. He's expendable.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Grachev doesn't seem to be doing very well in Connecticut....maybe if he's traded, he'll wake up a bit. As I posted before, we have Kreider, Dubinsky, and Wolski down the LW side, as well as Zuccarello, Callahan, Gaborik, and Thomas. He's expendable.
If he's not doing very well, why do the Leafs want him?

Something for nothing!

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

From MTL
Louis Leblanc

From BOS
2nd Round 2011

From NYR
Evgeny Grachev
2nd Round 2011

From SJ
Joe Pavelski

If PG traded LeBlanc and a 1st for Kaberle he would get fired.

I don't see Toronto getting any of those deals from those teams. I think his value tops out at a 1st or a 2nd plus a B prospect. He is after all a RENTAL player. No team will trade their 1st AND top prospect for a guy that may only stay 2-3 months. The only players that got that type of value in the cap world are guys like Hossa and Kovalchuk and both teams ended up regretting paying so much.

Not only that but Kaberle controls his destiny with the NTC. IF he waives it Burke may only have 2-3 teams to deal him to...if he gets a list of 5-6 teams only 2-3 may have the cap room and/or willingness to make a big offer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:04 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Too bad you're not GM.
Shhh, you are going to hurt some feelings around here.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
from a habs perspective, we do not have a 2nd rounder.

so you could probably get a first and a low level prospect.

Kristo and a 1st
for
Kaberle
Kristo is our 3rd or 4th best prospect...I can see us paying Kristo OR the 1st but not both.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:06 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? What part of he's only 20 years old did you miss? What part of him scoring at a PPG pace over the last month eluded you?

He's in his 2nd professional season ffs, and his first was as a 19 year old in the AHL on a bad team. Your boy Boyle didn't figure it out until he was 26, but you're giving up on Grachev at 20? Clueless.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:08 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Apparently a 2nd and a prospect.
That's not what 'Toronto wants' but what 'apparently' has been offered.

Now if we start counting the time reporters have been wrong this year...

Old
02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
Pfffttt...
This highlights every Boston fan's typical response. Thanks for you input. Run along now Bruins fans.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:15 AM
birddog*

Quote:
I think Burke would absolutely be, though. And he brings a lot more than size; he has a ton of offensive talent. His problem is confidence imo.
He's going to find that confidence in Toronto?

Old
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Ron Wilson would just end up hurting his feelings.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:24 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
His issue isn't confidence. Confidence is the least of this kid's problems.

His issue is that he's 20 years old and went from dominating kids in the OHL at 18 to playing against men in the AHL at 19. It took some time for him to adjust. Based on his play over the last month, he's made the adjustment.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:25 AM
gabeliscious

i dont see the value of trading kaberle for a 2nd and a random prospect. if that is the best burke can get for him i would hope burke would just resign him.

i could live with kabs extended for another 4 years or so at ~$5 million

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i dont see the value of trading kaberle for a 2nd and a random prospect. if that is the best burke can get for him i would hope burke would just resign him.

i could live with kabs extended for another 4 years or so at ~$5 million
Burke only controls his team not Kaberle...if he decides to test the market and/or he doesn't want to stay Burke has little say. Who knows if he wants to stay or leave...or maybe he is 50-50...it's hard to decipher from what's said in the media because if a player wants to leave he won't just say it to reporters(unless it's dumbass Kessel).

Old
02-09-2011, 08:53 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
WTF are you talking about? What part of he's only 20 years old did you miss? What part of him scoring at a PPG pace over the last month eluded you?

He's in his 2nd professional season ffs, and his first was as a 19 year old in the AHL on a bad team. Your boy Boyle didn't figure it out until he was 26, but you're giving up on Grachev at 20? Clueless.
Yes. Clueless. Because I want to improve the team at the price of a player who is completely expendable.

You act as if giving up Grachev is giving up a "sure" star. Will he be a good player? Potentially. But we have enough prospect depth to try and improve the team through a big trade, without it gutting our system. Acquiring Kaberle instantly makes this team a playoff threat. With an actual puck mover, and a guy who can lead the powerplay, two huge holes, we could have a Canadien-like run this year. I'd rather do that have 4 similar LW.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 02-09-2011 at 08:58 AM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:57 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Kaberle attempting to check someone and play D might as well be a forward hanging out in the neutral zone.

The guy is a cream puff
Every damn year his name is out there, yet no one trades for him. Won't be any different this year.
Clearly you don't watch him play. He is more than adequate defensively. Why are you making things up?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:57 AM
hockeyball

My prediction is no matter how this works out, Leaf's fan's are going to be dissapointed. heh.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:05 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Yes. Clueless. Because I want to improve the team at the price of a player who is completely expendable.
Lol, ok. I'll remember this thread when you're posting in the Grachev appreciation thread a year or two from now. Young players with Grachev's combination of size, speed and skill are not expendable.

Let's really look at our LW situation:

Dubinsky - Good player, improving. Should be a mainstay as a 2nd liner/borderline 1st.

Wolski - Has been good as a Ranger, but he was great early on with Phoenix and still they traded him less than a year later. He's on his 3rd team now and there's no guarantee that he sticks beyond next year.

Avery - He won't be a Ranger after next year.

Kreider, Hagelin - Unproven prospects.

Yeah, I can see how that makes Grachev expendable

Even if the Rangers considered trading him (which I doubt), they aren't trading him for 2 months of Kaberle in a year where we don't have a realistic shot at the cup.