HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Phillips to Boston

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2011, 10:52 AM
  #51
david999
Registered User
 
david999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Anything more than a 2nd round is overpayment for Philips. His best years are behind him. He only ever played well when paired with Volchenkov and Chara. He is currently paired with Ottawa's
best defenseman (All-Star) He would probably be a decent depth guy, but that's it.

david999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
  #52
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
I feel like you don't know the definition of "lame duck".

That and saying that Phillips can't turn it around is rather ridiculous since any team he would go to would put him in a more minor role. The success of him turning his season around would definitely be hinging on that though imo.

Also, I think Montreal makes way more sense than Boston, but Chia loves former Sens players and I'm sure has a very high opinion of Phillips so I'm sure that's where this stems from.
Wait so he's gonna turn his game around because he wouldn't have such a key role on his new team. Then why is every other Sens fan saying how he should be re united with Chara? If he's playing with Chara his minutes and responsibilities will not decrease. No one is saying Phillips is a bad player. Unfortunately, for the sens he picked a bad year to have a bad year.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:57 AM
  #53
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,025
vCash: 500
I would suspect the majority of those knocking Phillips can probably count on one hand the number of games they've actually watched him play. Luckily, Charelli knows exactly what he brings to the table and I wouldn't be surprised if he was his number 1 target.

I won't argue he's having a down year but to say he relied on Chara/A-train to make him look good is complete hogwash.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
  #54
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,850
vCash: 500
Now that I think of it... Chara, Redden, Philips, Volchenkov.. How did Ottawa not win a Cup with a defense like that?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
  #55
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Now that I think of it... Chara, Redden, Philips, Volchenkov.. How did Ottawa not win a Cup with a defense like that?
Management's refusal to address the subpar goaltending issue.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
  #56
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666
 
internetdotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Capital O
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,963
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I dont. A 1st for Philips is overpayment. We aren't assesing value based on his draft history or performance a few years ago. He is a rental, we would essentially be renting Philips for the remainder of THIS season, a season in which he's been horrible. Yes yes "put him along side Chara & watch his stats get better"... But anybodys' stats will get better along side Chara. I'd give a 2nd for Philips, nothing more...then cross my fingers he somehow gets out of this season-long funk. If not, it's a huge waste of a 2nd rnd pick. Sens fans seem to think providing Philips a 'change of scenery' will get him back on track. To that I say: see Redden (Wade)
You can't just cast aside a great career because of 55 games of subpar performance on a team with a joke of a system, on which every player aside from Karlsson is having the worst year of their career. Also, he's not a guaranteed rental. As much as I want him back in Ottawa July 1, if he goes deep into the playoffs with whichever team trades for him, he would most likely resign there.

Also, there is a concept that is being blatantly ignored here : the law of supply and demand. Few sellers (really, NJ, OTT, EDM, and NYI are the only teams that are really guaranteed to be sellers) and lots of buyers creates a demand for a limited number of available assets (defencemen in this case) and drives up cost, due to the competition for their services. If BOS won't offer up a better package, someone else quite likely will. If Andy 'ancient pylon' Sutton can get a 2nd rounder, Phillips can certainly do better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I would suspect the majority of those knocking Phillips can probably count on one hand the number of games they've actually watched him play. Luckily, Charelli knows exactly what he brings to the table and I wouldn't be surprised if he was his number 1 target.

I won't argue he's having a down year but to say he relied on Chara/A-train to make him look good is complete hogwash.
Exactly. A-Train and Chara are really the only defence partners (before this year) that Phillips has had, and to suggest that he didn't have at least a hand in their development is assanine.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
  #57
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
I feel like you don't know the definition of "lame duck".

That and saying that Phillips can't turn it around is rather ridiculous since any team he would go to would put him in a more minor role. The success of him turning his season around would definitely be hinging on that though imo.

Also, I think Montreal makes way more sense than Boston, but Chia loves former Sens players and I'm sure has a very high opinion of Phillips so I'm sure that's where this stems from.
Considering the GM tried to fire his coach but was stopped by his owner, i couldn't describe the situation more accurately. Everyone involved right now is a lame duck.

Well, the B's traded for Schaefer. But that was for cap reasons. Not even Chia can overlook just how brutal Phillips has been this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Really? REALLY? A fan of a team coached by Ron Wilson, who Leaf fans have wanted gone all season (as evidenced by all the 'Fire Wilson!' chants at the ACC) is calling our coach, who got us to the 5th seed last year, a lame duck? That's pretty funny.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Clouston is gone after the season, but what good would firing him now do, especially when we will likely also have a new GM next season that I'm sure will want to bring in his own guy? But a Leaf fan calling Clouston a lame duck coach is a bit ironic, don't ya think?
fyi TO is winning right now. Their coach has the full support of their GM. Their GM has the full support of their owner. They might not have the best team in the world, but at least they have a direction. The sens at the moment are rudderless and all their players hate the coaching and management, but are willing to accept their paychecks. This period for the sens right now is causing a lot of unrepairable damage, imo.

Good news is that they'll likely get a top-3 pick. If not the 1st overall. Yay.

I'd actually rather be in that situation than Calgary's. They are back to pretending they're actually contenders again. Brutal.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
  #58
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Now that I think of it... Chara, Redden, Philips, Volchenkov.. How did Ottawa not win a Cup with a defense like that?
Hasek getting hurt at the Olympics.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
  #59
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
You can't just cast aside a great career because of 55 games of subpar performance on a team with a joke of a system, on which every player aside from Karlsson is having the worst year of their career. Also, he's not a guaranteed rental. As much as I want him back in Ottawa July 1, if he goes deep into the playoffs with whichever team trades for him, he would most likely resign there.

Also, there is a concept that is being blatantly ignored here : the law of supply and demand. Few sellers (really, NJ, OTT, EDM, and NYI are the only teams that are really guaranteed to be sellers) and lots of buyers creates a demand for a limited number of available assets (defencemen in this case) and drives up cost, due to the competition for their services. If BOS won't offer up a better package, someone else quite likely will. If Andy 'ancient pylon' Sutton can get a 2nd rounder, Phillips can certainly do better than that.



Exactly. A-Train and Chara are really the only defence partners (before this year) that Phillips has had, and to suggest that he didn't have at least a hand in their development is assanine.
There's your 1st problem, assuming Philips will resign with team who acquires him. That cant be a variable in his trade value because it's an unkown.

2nd problem, we aren't trading for Philips career, we are trading for Philips & what he currently brings to the table..not what he did for Ottawa 5 or 6 years ago.

3rd prob, not many contending teams have cap space to add Philips salary. & there are rumored to be MANY dmen available at deadline this year, thus your theory of supply & demand doesn't fly here..

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
  #60
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 5,162
vCash: 500
I don't dislike the idea of acquiring Phillips, I'm just not sure it addresses the Bruins biggest needs. I just think Kaberle makes too much sense for Boston, and Phillips not as much. We really need someone who can revitalize our power play.

I guess if we could some how expand the Phillips deal to include Kovalev, but I don't think there is anyway we could fit that under the cap, I'm also not sure how Kovalev would fit in with the Bruins team

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:06 PM
  #61
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
There's your 1st problem, assuming Philips will resign with team who acquires him. That cant be a variable in his trade value because it's an unkown.

2nd problem, we aren't trading for Philips career, we are trading for Philips & what he currently brings to the table..not what he did for Ottawa 5 or 6 years ago.

3rd prob, not many contending teams have cap space to add Philips salary. & there are rumored to be MANY dmen available at deadline this year, thus your theory of supply & demand doesn't fly here..
I would say that most contender would have no problem squizzing him below the cap in about 3 weeks: injuries, sending back some player back or to the minor would save them some cap space.

At 3.5M, Phillips would cost around 1M at the dealine?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
  #62
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666
 
internetdotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Capital O
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,963
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
There's your 1st problem, assuming Philips will resign with team who acquires him. That cant be a variable in his trade value because it's an unkown.

2nd problem, we aren't trading for Philips career, we are trading for Philips & what he currently brings to the table..not what he did for Ottawa 5 or 6 years ago.

3rd prob, not many contending teams have cap space to add Philips salary. & there are rumored to be MANY dmen available at deadline this year, thus your theory of supply & demand doesn't fly here..
Funny how you are okay with the Sens taking all the risk, but the team looking to acquire the player takes none. If we traded him for your (low) 2nd rounder, and he does resign with you, then its highway robbery on your part, as a signed Phillips has much more value than a low 2nd rounder. The 2nd rounder is for you renting him the rest of this year, but there needs to be a decent prospect added, or another conditional pick added if he resigns with you. Why should the Sens take on all the risk, when its the other team (the B's or any other) that wants our player to increase their Cup chances?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:13 PM
  #63
Lord Ahriman
Registered User
 
Lord Ahriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
I would say that most contender would have no problem squizzing him below the cap in about 3 weeks: injuries, sending back some player back or to the minor would save them some cap space.

At 3.5M, Phillips would cost around 1M at the dealine?
~ $772,000

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
  #64
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Funny how you are okay with the Sens taking all the risk, but the team looking to acquire the player takes none. If we traded him for your (low) 2nd rounder, and he does resign with you, then its highway robbery on your part, as a signed Phillips has much more value than a low 2nd rounder. The 2nd rounder is for you renting him the rest of this year, but there needs to be a decent prospect added, or another conditional pick added if he resigns with you. Why should the Sens take on all the risk, when its the other team (the B's or any other) that wants our player to increase their Cup chances?
"Sens taking all the risk"? How about Boston using up their avail capspace on a dman who is potentially washed up.. Thats risk imo. What if we acquire him & he continues to suck & stinks out the joint in Boston? We lose the opportunity to use that space on another (perhaps better) dman.. & we lose a 2nd round pick.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.